The New Boy

Identitas
Please log in to read the full chapter

2. The New Boy

 

 

Within ten minutes I arrive home. I see some mini trucks or vans, parked in front of my apartment. Would someone be moving in today? I get closer and see some men taking furniture inside. I get my answer. There’s someone moving in today.

I wait for a break between the men, who were in pairs taking the weightiest furniture. After taking the elevator and pressing the fifth button, I reach to the fifth floor. Taking my time, I take the key out of my bag and unlock the door.

I’m finally at home. There’s no one inside. Mom’s working, Chung Hee’s at college, Chung Ho is at school also and Jeong Suk has probably arrived at America by now. I decide to do my homework first and then rest a bit.

Dinner’s being served. Mom, Chung Hee, Chung Ho and I are having dinner together. “So, how was school today?” mom asks, as she grabs the salad bowl.

“Was normal,” I simply answer. In fact, there isn’t much to tell about my day. It was like the other ones.

“I got the result of my latest project,” Chung Hee announces, leaving all of us anticipated to hear his result.

He has been a good student, better than me actually. Despite his behavior towards Jeong Suk, his grades have not suffered any effect.

“So?” Mom shows her eager self.

“I had an eighteen point seven out of twenty,” he finally reveals with a small smile, not hiding his discontent about his result.

In other hand mom looks very happy to hear that her older son is getting good marks. “Well done dear. I always knew you were a good student. I’m already imagining you wearing a black suit, going to your father’s company in your car, looking handsome,” she fantasies the future of her older son and sighs. “I feel so proud of you. Ah, I love my children,” I notice her lame side coming out.

I like when she expresses her love towards her kids, it’s a good sign. She looks at Chung Ho and asks “What about you? How was school today?” Chung Ho just shrugs and sighs. It seems, like he had a day like mine.

“What’s wrong? Did something happen?” mom asks in a worried way as she sees her younger son with a blank expression.

I quickly realize the reason behind his behavior. Not long ago, Chung Ho had asked me some questions about dating and how to get a girl’s attention. Chung Hee also told me that the little boy had asked him for advices. I smirk at the thought of my little brother experiencing love, kids’ love.

“Nothing," he simply answers.

Mom still doesn’t look convinced but decides to let it go.

Suddenly I remember the men that were carrying furniture earlier and ask “Mom, did someone move in recently?”

She finishes chewing the food and looks at me in an intriguing way “Why? I haven’t heard of anything,”

I place the fork and knife on the plate as I finish eating and answer back “Nothing, is just I saw some men moving furniture inside when I came back from school,”

The matter didn’t continue and I, excusing myself, get up from the table and walk to my room.

As I had done all the homework before, I go through my recent sketches and pick one of them to continue. I grow tired of drawing and decide to go talk with Chung Ho. He looked like he needed some advises and someone to talk to.

I knock on his room’s door and enter. “So, how’s my little penguin feeling?” I

Please log in to read the full chapter