Omitting The Truth

Identitas
Please log in to read the full chapter

14. Omitting The Truth

 

 

Time passes by quickly and without even noticing it is already 11:30pm. As I have school tomorrow, I need to go to bed early or else, no one will be able to wake me up.

“I guess I better go. It’s getting late,” I sadly remark, not wanting to leave.

“Yes. You need to get up early tomorrow,” he speaks my thoughts. “I see you tomorrow at 9pm again?” he questions, hinting for the first guitar lesson I will have.

“My classes end at 4:20pm tomorrow, so if you want I can come earlier,” I tell him.

“Then we can meet up at 5pm?”

“Yes, we can,” I brightly nod and get ready to leave. “So, see you tomorrow then.” I wave and walk backwards.

“See you tomorrow, Cho Hee. Have a good night,” he waves back and tenderly looks at me, while I’m leaving.

I reach for the doorknob and look back at him. He’s still standing, watching my every move.

“Good night,” my sweet voice echoes in the weak wind, reaching his ears and I see him blinking his eyes slowly and kindly moving his lips upwards.

I open the door and go towards the elevator feeling happy. Who would say that this would be such a different date? I mean, normally, boys would take girls out and buy drinks or sweets together; walk by the river under the street lights … But this, staying in the rooftop chatting and getting to know each other was way better, at least for me. It was refreshing, I think.

As I finally enter inside my house and am walking past the living-room’s door as quietly as possible, I see light coming from there and hear some whisperings. I quickly acknowledge mom’s voice. I fight myself to go to my room, but I find it odd that mom should be sleeping by now because she has to go to work tomorrow. And my curiosity takes over me, making me stay behind the door, listening to whatever she’s saying.

“I know, I know. I should be used to it by now, but I can’t help to be worried. Alright, I’ll try not to think about it. I swear that if he doesn’t phone tomorrow, I’ll report it to the police,” mom whispers with concern and anxiety, maybe on the phone.

I am taken aback by her words. Without even giving me time to process it all, mom walks towards the door I am behind. As I hear her movements I quickly take a small run to my room, closing carefully the door after. I stay leaned in my door, finally going over mom’s words and taking everything in.

What was she going to report to the police? What was she worried about? The little I did listen wasn’t enough for me to understand what is happening. As a very curious person I am, I start making possible reasons for mom’s concern. Does it have to do with Jeong Suk? Now that I think about it, he hasn’t spoken to me since he left to the business trip. Could it be related to that?

If I connect what mom said to my ideas, I come to the conclusion that it makes sense. Mom spoke of a “he” so I presume that she was talking about Jeong Suk; then she said that she should be used to it by now, what I do think that it is the long period without speaking with Jeong Suk when he goes on business trips; last but not least, I need to highlight mom’s worry. It is not normal to see her this worried about Jeong Suk, after not getting news from him for two days. I mean, two days is a long period of time, but maybe it is usual when he goes working abroad.

Somehow I try to forget about the matter as I say to myself that surely he is fine and working well.

I change my clothes to my comfortable, beige and white stripped pajamas I go to bed, as I know tomorrow will be a school-day and a start of a new week.

My alarm clock rings with its annoying sound that almost makes me

Please log in to read the full chapter