Lonely Observations

Where I Belong
Being shy and quiet had its drawbacks. In the music industry it could be the kiss of death, and for Hyunseung it had been twice already. He had almost made it to his dream, had very nearly been chosen to debut as part of a group. In the final round of auditions both times, he’d been eliminated. 
 
At first, the news had come as a blow to his dreams and self-esteem. In a way, it did still affect him, more in the latter department than in the former. He went back and forth between wondering if he’d ever be good enough and knowing that when he was ready, he’d get another chance - and he’d damned well make it count. 
 
It was like playing ping pong, and he was the ball. 
 
Eventually he had come to the realization that the reason he wasn't chosen was valid. He wasn’t ready to debut. Of course, with that ‘epiphany’ of his elimination’s validity came the more subtle hurt that he hadn’t been the right fit. Hyunseung couldn’t help being hurt that the companies had told him he wasn’t good enough. It was definitely one of those times when his quiet personality worked against him. He didn’t do aegyo and wasn’t prone to being talkative unless necessary… and he tended to avoid areas where large amounts of people were at, which sent up a red flag, apparently. 
 
His parents had been.. Well.. His parents. They understood him and knew he wouldn’t want to talk about it much, so they didn’t ask questions. They simply showed their unfailing support for their son and encouraged him to keep furthering his talents. He didn’t want to disappoint them.
 
Why he’d listened to Yoseob was beyond his comprehension some days. Not that he wasn’t making the most of the opportunity. Sometimes he was glad he’d let Yoseob talk him into joining this company as a trainee. It meant another chance to debut and the time he needed to hone his skills. 
 
That didn’t make it any easier. The trainees were numerous and a lot of them were loud and hyperactive at best. There were the select few, like Yong Junhyung, who somehow escaped the antics of the trainees and still managed to be known and respected for their talents and personality, even though they weren’t as boisterous as those like Yoseob. It hadn’t taken long for Yoseob to fit right in. 
 
Hyunseung looked quietly around him at the trainees crowding around the cafeteria, all chattering and laughing. As usual, Yoseob was missing from the ruckus of lunch. He always seemed to disappear when lunch time came around, from what Hyunseung noticed. He wasn’t the only one to do it, either. Junhyung was always gone, too, and Doojoon always seemed to be wherever Yoseob was for some reason. The only trainees that Hyunseung recognized regularly other than those three were Kikwang and Dongwoon, but even those two he didn’t really talk to. Funnily enough, Kikwang and Dongwoon were actually in the cafeteria, squabbling good naturedly over the food with everyone else.
 
Hyunseung frowned as the curiosity of where the trio was popped up in his mind for what had to be the thousandth time since he’d joined Cube.
 
Stop worrying. If they’re practicing they won’t miss lunch. The instructors always allow breaks for food.
 
The thought came unbidden and his own voice scolded him so effectively that Hyunseung stopped worrying about it and grabbed a container of chicken before they were all gone. Meat was always the first thing to go and he didn’t want to be stuck eating a meal without any. 
 
Heading off to a corner of the large room, Hyunseung sank down against the wall with his lunch and ate, watching those around him in silence.