Chapter Nine

The Last Dandelion Seed

It's been 3 days since Taehyung's disappearance; Soojung's been getting weaker day after day. She wouldn't eat, she kept to herself in her room and never went out to play with the other kids. She continuously stared out the window waiting for Taehyung, who never showed up. She was thin with dark circles around her round eyes; her eyes were dull. 

Jae looked at Soojung from across the room as her mother tried to feed her 

"Soojung-ah, you have to eat," her mother said, lifting the spoon of rice porridge up to Soojung's lips. 

"I'm not hungry," she answered, emotionless. 

"Soojung-ah, please just eat," her mother begged with tears in her eyes. "You haven't eaten for days."

Soojung didn't answer and continued to stare out the window. Her mother sighed, giving up and left the room to leave her alone. 

"Ahjussi, where are you?" Soojung whispered. Jae slowly approached her to see a tear fall, but her face remained still and emotionless. "I miss you."

Jae laid against her legs and stared out the window with her. 

"Taehyung, you idiot. If I knew it was going to be like this, I wouldn't have let you go so easily," Jae whispered. "Did you runaway out of fear?"

Hours have gone by and Soojung was just getting up from a 30 minute nap; she looked even weaker. She looked out the window hoping to see Taehyung fly by, but still no sign of him. 

"Soojung-ah," a nurse said, coming into the room with a smile. "Would you like to go for a walk in the garden? You could use some fresh air and today's a nice day. You can also pick all the flowers you want for your friend, Taehyung was it?"

"Even if I were to pick flowers, they'd all die in his hands," she softly said. The nurse sighed and walked to her with a forced, yet pitiful smile. 

"Let's just go out for 5 minutes then we'll come back in, how's that sound?" she asked, trying to convince Soojung. Jae nudged Soojung, who deeply exhaled and nodded. The nurse helped her out of bed and headed out to the garden. 

Soojung walked to a bench and sat down, staring ahead of her at nothing really. The gentle breeze brushed against her hair as the leaves rustled in the trees. 

"Ahjussi...," she whispered. 

Taehyung laid in his bed at headquarters, staring up at the ceiling. He deeply inhaled and slowly exhaled. He lifted his wrist up in front of his eyes and saw 3 dandelion seeds left. 

"I wonder what she's doing right now...," Taehyung whispered when there was a knock at his door. He sat up to have the person walk in; it was another God of Death, Jimin. 

"Jeez, you're always locked up in here," Jimin said, sitting on the edge of Taehyung's bed. He took out half a loaf of bread from his jacket and handed it to Taehyung. "I secretly snuck it out of the cafeteria...eat it."

"No thanks," Taehyung replied, laying back onto his bed. 

"You haven't eaten for 3 days, Taehyung," Jimin said forcing the bread in Taehyung's mouth, but his lips were sealed shut. "Yah."

Taehyung brushed Jimin's hand away and turned to his side, his back facing Jimin. 

"Go away. I want to sleep," Taehyung sighed loudly, closing his eyes. Jimin pressed his lips tightly together and got off the bed. 

"Are you trying to sleep the fear away?" Jimin asked as Taehyung slowly opened his eyes. "Everyone knows she only has 3 days left, Taehyung."

No response. 

"Everyone says you ran away out of fear," he continued. "And just from looking at you, I think they're right. You're a God of Death and God of Deaths have no fear. God of Deaths don't run away out of fear, but because they have no fear of death. For you, it's one or the other, but locking yourself up and isolating yourself from our world as well as theirs, you're running away out of fear."

"You don't even know anything," Taehyung spoke. 

"You're right, I don't," Jimin replied. "I don't know what it feels like to be happy, to smile at something or someone worth smiling for, I've never felt love, but I do know for a fact that those feelings are for the Angels, not for we God of Deaths. Why? Because there's no point of being happy, smiling and loving a person that will die in your hands."

Taehyung clenched his jaw and shut his eyes tight while Jimin continued to look at him with pitiful eyes. 

"Get out and don't come back...you don't belong here anymore, Kim Taehyung," Jimin said with a firm tone. "This is the only advice I can give you...to someone who's changed."

Taehyung slowly sat up and looked at Jimin, who was already out the door. Taehyung sighed and curled into a ball, sitting against the wall. 

"Get out, not come back, kill Soojung and then what?" he whispered to himself. "One way or another, I'm not welcomed in both worlds."

Night had come and Soojung was sitting in front of the window, staring at the bright crescent moon with Jae in her lap. Her mother slept peacefully on the couch thinking Soojung was asleep. 

"Jae, in three days I'll be able to see Taehyung again," Soojung whispered. "Even if it's only for a split second...."

"What's so great about me?" she heard his voice and so she turned around, but he wasn't there. "What's so great about me that you want to see me?"

"Ahjussi," she said, looking around but his presence was no where to be seen. His voice was close though. "Ahjussi, where are you?"

"Somewhere far," Taehyung's voice echoed in her ears. "Stop looking for me, I'll show up when I want to."

Soojung started sniffling as a tear dropped. "Ahjussi, I miss you."

"Really?" Taehyung's voice asked as Soojung nodded. "Does my voice not make you miss me less?"

Soojung continued to sniffle and weakly smiled with a head shake. 

"That's too bad," Taehyung sighed. "It can't be helped though, I'm too far to come. Will you wait?"

Soojung nodded to hear him softly snicker. 

"Thats a good girl. Now, go to sleep Soojung and by the time you wake up tomorrow, I'll be there," Taehyung said as she nodded and got in bed. "Close your eyes. I'll sing you a little song."

Jae hopped on the bed and curled besides Soojung. 

"Hey, It’s Pororo I love to play all day, come join me all my friends. Always happy as can be," Taehyung began to sing off tune, but Soojung still liked it. He continued to sing until she was fast asleep, softly breathing. 

Taehyung, who was on the hospital's rooftop and had teleported his voice to her room, stared up at the crescent moon. 

"There's a myth that says, 'If a God of Death does not kill their human on time, not only will the human die but so will the God of Death who had failed to do its job'," he said with a smirk. "Do you think it'll really work, Soojung? Should we just die together?"