Chapter Eleven

The Last Dandelion Seed

Today was the day that Taehyung dreaded the most, but he was prepared for what was to come. It was morning, but the sun wasn't up and shining yet; the sky was still dark and the moon was present while the people slept. Taehyung, who didn't sleep at all, walked down the hospital hallway towards Soojung's room with heavy steps. Once he had reached the door he stood there pressing his forehead against the door with a deep sigh. 

"I'll take her there then end it," he whispered with closed eyes, taking in a deep breath slowly exhaling. He slowly opened his eyes and grabbed the door handle, twisting it to see Soojung peacefully sleeping with Jae next to her; her mother was asleep on the couch while her father slept on the chair. 

Taehyung walked to Soojung and caressed her cold face, feeling his chest squeeze at the coldness. She stirred in her sleep before lifting her eyelids to see Taehyung's face glow in the moon's light. She silently gasped with round eyes as he pressed his lips against his index finger, telling her to be quiet. She nodded and weakly smiled, hugging Taehyung by surprise. He widened his eyes and didn't know how to respond, but he calmed himself down and slowly wrapped his arms around her. 

"I'm sorry," he said in a hushed tone. "I'm sorry I came at a time like this, Soojung-ah."

She shook her head. "It's okay ahjussi."

He faintly smiled and released the hug, staring directly into her eyes. 

"Do you wanna go to the beach? Like in our stories?" Taehyung asked as she nodded without any hesitation. He pressed his lips together into a smile and patted her head. "Let's go then, we don't have much time left."

And with that, Taehyung lifted Soojung out of bed and they both headed out of the hospital; Taehyung carried Soojung in his arms as they both were soaring up into the dark morning sky. 

"Ahjussi, I'll be higher up in the sky today, right?" Soojung asked looking up at him, but he avoided her eyes and nodded in response. "Will ahjussi also be with me?"

"Ahjussi doesn't know yet," Taehyung answered with a heavy heart. "But wherever ahjussi is just know that I'll always be with you, got it?"

Soojung smiled and nodded, holding tighter onto him as she closed her eyes for a bit. 

"Soojung-ah," Taehyung softly spoke. "Because of you, I was banished from my world. Do you know why?"

There was no response, but she was still breathing. 

"It was because I had changed...my heart had changed," he continued. "I never knew I'd experience such changes, but I did, all because of you. You taught me how to live, Soojung-ah. You taught me the meaning behind a child's laughter, the meaning to why my chest always became heavy and why I always laughed and smiled at the things I wouldn't have. It's all because of you that I was able to live the life I couldn't live as a God of Death. The life of happiness, sadness, anger, anxiety and love; the life of a human. Because I was too similar to the humans, my kind have felt betrayed and had banned me from their world. Are you willing to take this responsibility?"

Soojung answered with a nod. Taehyung snickered and sighed. "There are many things you should be responsible for."

They got to the beach and Taehyung had gracefully landed with Soojung still in his arms. He sat down and had her in his lap. She was breathing heavily and her body temperature was decreasing. 

"Soojung-ah," Taehyung softly said. "Wake up, you said you wanted to see the ocean. We're here now so open your eyes."

She was pale and weak, she couldn't fully open her eyes to see the beautiful view of the sun rising. It began to get harder for her to breathe, but she managed to slightly turn her head to the ocean as the breeze brushed against her skin and hair. She faintly smiled and squinted her eyes at the horizon. 

"It's pretty," she whispered, which pained Taehyung not being unable to hear her bright voice. "It's really pretty, ahjussi."

Taehyung looked down at her and felt his chest tighten as she continued to breath heavily. He felt her body grow colder and being an experienced God of Death, he knew in another minute or two, she'd be gone. 

"Thank. You. Op. Pa," she huffed out the words as he widened his eyes. 

"W-wh-what did you just call me?" he asked as she weakly smiled and slowly raised her arm to touch his face. 

"O...op...pa," she whispered, inaudibly. He forced a smile as she closed her eyes and her arm became limp, dangling off her sides. Taehyung felt a lump grow in his throat as he stared at Soojung. 

"S-Soojung?" he whispered with his heart beating fast. He looked at his wrist and the last dandelion seed had disappeared. He felt his eyes water and sting, he didn't know what was going on for he never had this happen to him before. "Soojung-ah, wake up."

He shook her to wake up, but he didn't get a response. His lips trembled and saw water drop on her cheeks as he muffled out her name. 

"Soojung! Wake up, pabo!" he cried. "You wanted to see the sunrise here at the beach!! Soojung-ah, wake up!! Please! Open your eyes Soojung-ah!!"

He shook her again when he realized she wasn't ever going to come back. He bit his bottom lip and dug his face against her neck to cry. 

"No...no...no!!!" he yelled clenching onto her lifeless body, rocking back and forth. "Soojung, no...."

Taehyung sobbed when he felt a gush of wind hit against him and Soojung. Once the wind had subsided, he slowly opened his eyes to darkness. He couldn't see a single thing, but more importantly he couldn't feel a thing, not even Soojung. He lifted his hands up to touch nothing, but thin air.

"Soojung-ah?" he called her name. "Don't tell me, I've already vanished from both worlds?"