Chapter Twelve

The Last Dandelion Seed

"Umma~" a little girl shouted running into a luxurious house with her little brother. "Umma!"

"In the kitchen sweetie!" the mother answered as they entered. The mother wiped her hands on a dry rag and smiled at her children who hugged her legs. "I see you two had a good day at school today."

"My class had a birthday party for Mingyu!" Taehyun chimed as the mother gasped. 

"Really? You guys must of had cake then~" she asked as her son nodded. 

"Umma, I got a perfect score on my spelling test!" her daughter, Taeyeon, exclaimed. 

"Uwah~ that's amazing Taeyeon-ah," her mother praised her as she smiled brightly. "Should I reward you with lunch?"

"Yes!!!" they both shouted and ran to the dining table, taking a seat. Their mother snickered and set up the table for lunch. 

As they were eating, Taeyeon had remembered another thing that had happened today. Taeyeon began to blush as her mother noticed. 

"Taeyeon-ah, what's with you? Why are you blushing?" her mother smiled curiously. Taehyun looked at his older sister and smiled widely. 

"Umma! Today, a boy said he liked noona!" Taehyun spoke for her, earning a light hit from Taeyeon. Their mother rounded her eyes in shock and giggled. 

"Really? What did he say?" the mother asked as Taeyeon blushed even more. 

"He said I'm his first love," she sheepishly smiled, then blinked her eyes in confusion. "But umma, what is a first love?"

The mother set her utensils aside and tapped her chin. 

"First love?" she wondered. "It's when a person falls in love for the first time? When you feel your heart fluttering for the first time for unknown reasons and you start to smile out of no where when you see that person you're in love with. There's really no definition for 'first love' though."

Taeyeon blinked her eyes as she thought of her own definition for first love, but she was more curious about something else. 

"Umma, was appa your first love?" Taeyeon asked tilting her head out of curiously; Taehyun too was curious. The mother snickered and sighed. 

"Do you really want to know?" she asked as they nodded frantically. She smiled thinking of those memories. "Appa wasn't my first love."

"EHHHH?!?!?" both children exclaimed in shock. "Who was?!"

Their mother giggled as her children anticipated for who it was. 

"Appa was my second love you can say," she continued. "When umma was only 8 years old I had a heart condition that limited my life to another 2 months and during those 2 months I spent my time with my first love. He would always yell at me because I was a bit naughty, but it was his way of telling me he was worried about me. I remember picking flowers for him, but he never took them; he didn't mind the dandelions-"

"Aren't they a weed, umma?" 

"Taeyeon-ah, do you really want to hear about my first love?" the mother asked as Taeyeon covered and nodded; her mother smiled. "Dandelions are weeds, but yet they're still beautiful in their own way. My first love took me to the amusement park and we rode the Ferris wheel together, it was the best day of my life knowing that I didn't have much time left. He was different from his kind. Whenever I cried, he comforted me; when I was mad, he'd laugh and please me. When I was happy, he smiled and patted my head; when I felt lonely, he stayed by my side and never left me until the last week of my time, but I was still happy he came back on the last day."

"What was his name?" Taehyun asked. 

"His name was Taehyung, but I always called him ahjussi, he hated it," she snickered at the memories; she could already see his facial expression if she was to call him ahjussi again. 

"Oh~? His name is just like mine, but it's Taehyung, not Taehyun," Taehyun smiled. 

"Where is this ahjussi?" Taeyeon asked. "Is he still alive?"

"Noona, you can't ask if someone's still alive," Taehyun said, covering . Their mother laughed and ruffled both their hairs. "Where is he though, umma?"

She exhaled through her nose and looked out the window at the sky. 

"Even I don't know where he is," she whispered with a soft smile. "But no matter where he is, he's always with me for he is the one who gave me a second chance at life."

The children exchanged looks and gave her a questioning expression. She placed her right hand on her chest where her heart was gently beating. 

"Taehyung ahjussi is here right now," she said as her children exchanged looks again. Taeyeon then reached over the table and placed her hand on her mother's chest, feeling the heart beat. 

"Huh? It's only your heart beating," she said pulling her hand back to her side.

"Taeyeon-ah, you'll understand when you get older," her mother said and began cleaning up the table when they heard the door click open. 

"I'm home~" the children heard their fathers voice. "Soojung yeobo? Taeyeon-nie? Taehyun-ah?"

"Appa's home, go and greet him," Soojung said as the children ran off to their father. She heard the laughter of the three and smiled to herself, then looked out the window back up to the sky when she heard the children's footsteps running to the kitchen. 

"Umma!! Umma!" the children shouted. Soojung turned her attention to the children as Taeyeon was holding a black cat in her arms. 

"Appa brought home a cat!" Taeyeon chimed already cuddling it. 

"Can we keep it?" Taehyun asked petting it as their father walked into the kitchen. Soojung looked at her husband who shrugged with a smile. 

"I found it loitering around the front of the house, so I thought I'd bring it in," he said as Soojung smiled at him.  

"I'm going to call her Miko," Taeyeon said. Soojung looked at the cat and saw a collar on it. 

"Honey, you can't name a cat that isn't yours. It has a collar," Soojung pointed out, but the children refused to let go of it. 

"But we want it," Taehyun said with teary eyes. Soojung sighed and reached for the cat. 

"I'm sorry guys, but we have to return it to its owner," Soojung said and held the cat in her arms, looking at the tag with wide eyes. "J-Jae?"

Soojung continued to look at the tag as her name was on it as well as her address; she was the owner of the cat...of Jae. She didn't know how to react and could only hug him with tears in her eyes. 

"Yeobo?" her husband asked walking up to her. 

"It's Jae," was all Soojung could say. Her husband had heard about Jae from Soojung and so he smiled and hugged her with Jae in between them. 

"Umma?" Taehyun asked. His father patted his head. 

"Umma found her lost cat," the father smiled. "In other words, we get to keep the cat."

"Yes!" the children shouted in excitement giving each other high-fives. Soojung calmed herself down and wiped her tears, setting Jae down. 

"I've missed you," she said as Jae snuggled against her in response. 

"Jae, lets go and play," Taehyun said as Jae looked up at Soojung for permission. She nodded and he ran off with the kids to play. 

"After all these years he finally shows up," Soojung's husband smiled as she did too. 

"Will ahjussi show up too?" Soojung whispered to herself. 

Night had fallen and Soojung was putting Taeyeon and Taehyun in bed when Taeyeon pulled out a book from the shelf, handing it to Soojung. 

"You can't tuck us in without reading us this book," Taeyeon said as Soojung smiled, kissing her daughter's forehead. 

"I know," she said and sat on the edge of Taeyeon's bed. "Adventures with Park Soojung and annoying cat Jae-"

"It's the same name as Jae," Taehyun giggled as Jae cuddled against him.

Soojung started to read the book from beginning to end with the kids sleeping one by one. Once she was assured that the children were asleep she closed the book and headed out the room, slowly shutting the door behind her with Jae following behind. She entered the kitchen to get a glass of water before bed when she saw something falling from the sky. She opened the window and reached her hand out to have a tiny dandelion seed gracefully land on her palm. Her chest grew heavy at the sight of the single seed. 

"He's happy where he is now," she heard a voice. She looked around with her heart beating fast thinking it was Taehyung, but then her attention went down to Jae. 

"Was that you?" Soojung asked shocked as Jae nodded. "You can talk?"

"Since the beginning, but I kept it a secret," he said as she faintly smiled. "Taehyung...he's happy where he is and what he did."

Soojung continued to stare at Jae, who's gaze was up at the stars. 

"Taehyung doesn't regret a single thing he did for you Soojung-ah and he hopes you don't regret this life you've led, this life he gave you," Jae said looking up at the bright full moon. Soojung looked up at the night sky and felt the dandelion lift off her palm; the dandelion seed was just floating in front of her, so she stepped out of the house walking towards it to see the seed drift up into the night sky. There was a strong, yet embracing breeze that had brushed against her body; she looked up at the moon and closed her eyes as the wind began whispering her name. Park Soojung. Soojung. Soojung-ah.

"Soojung-ah?" Taehyung called her name. "Don't tell me, I've already vanished from both worlds?"

Taehyung reached his hands forward hoping to be able to touch anything, but nothing had come into contact. 

"So I did disappear from both worlds," he said bringing his arms down to his sides when he saw a tiny light ahead of him. He squinted his eyes as it grew larger and larger soon blinding him. He covered his eyes with his arms when his eyes began to adjust to this bright light; he brought his arms down and he was now in an area full of brightness, there was really no end to this brightness just like the dark place he was just in a few seconds ago. Taehyung started taking steps to nowhere really when he saw a blur of black ahead of him; he squinted his eyes at the black blur when it came into a clear view. It was Jae; Jae had noticed Taehyung and ran straight towards him.

"Jae!" Taehyung shouted, relieved to see him again. Jae ran right into Taehyung's arms as he held him tight.

"Taehyung, the myth," was all Jae said as Taehyung released the hug giving him a questioning look with furrowed eyebrows.

"Kim Taehyung, former God of Death," a elderly low voice had said from all directions. Taehyung was flustered as well as Jae and looked around for the owner of the voice. It wasn't long when he saw two figures ahead of him, one man in white but because of the bright light he wasn't able to see the face clearly. Another man was in all black and Taehyung couldn't see his face too for he was wearing a hoodie that had cast a shadow over the man's face.

"Former?" Taehyung asked, looking at the two male figures. "What are you talking about? I'm still a God of De-"

"Billions of years ago, there was a myth that God of Deaths could turn into Angels and save a human's life," the man in white said. "No one had believed it for they had not witnessed it, but now we know this myth is no myth, but a legend."

"Are you saying I've become an Angel?" Taehyung asked as the man in black shook his head.

"Because you had failed to do your duty as a God of Death, your fate has not been decided yet," the man said.

"My fate? What fate? If I had failed to do my duty then I would have disappeared," Taehyung said, confused. The men exchanged looks then turned back to look at Taehyung.

"You would have disappeared, but your tears held you back," the man in white said as Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows into a deep crease. "The tears of a God of Death is precious and by far the rarest thing in both worlds and for you to be the first in a billion years to shed that first tear is something magnificent and mesmerizing. Not only that, but a tear of a God of Death turns you into one of us. Why? Because that tear is a symbol of love and meaning to life."

"I still don't get it," Taehyung said with tears of frustration. "What exactly am I?"

"That's for you to decide Taehyung-ssi," the man in black said. "I mentioned that your fate hadn't been decided yet, right?"

Taehyung nodded.

"That's because you'll be deciding it for yourself," the man in black said. "For you had failed your mission, you can choose to perish."

"But because of that tear, you can choose be an Angel to save Soojung and extend her life to another 5 years," the man in white said, but Taehyung was still confused.

"If I choose to save Soojung and her 5 years are up, what will happen to me?" Taehyung asked.

"You will remain an Angel forever," the man in white answered. Taehyung scoffed in disbelief.

"What kind of fate is that? Save Soojung and she only gets to live for another 5 years? Then she'll be dying at the age of 13! There would be no point of living then!" Taehyung shouted, outraged. "Do you think I'd be happy to live the rest of my life as an Angel when Soojung will die in another 5 years? I don't want that!"

"Then you'll just have to perish," the man in black said; that had hit Taehyung in the chest. He didn't want that either, but he didn't want Soojung to experience death again. "What will it be, Taehyung-ssi?"

Taehyung swallowed hard as Jae looked up at him, worried. The men looked at Taehyung, who let out a deep exhale.

"I...I choose both," Taehyung confidentially answered as the men were taken aback.

"T-Taehyung-ssi, you can't choose both," the man in white said.

"It has to be one or the other," the man in black said as Taehyung softly smiled.

"I will make a new legend," he said looking at the two faceless men. "Please, take my request into consideration."

The men swallowed hard at what was to come and nodded.

"In order to save Soojung and for her to live till she grows old, I will give her my heart and with that I will perish," Taehyung said as Jae widened his eyes in disbelief. "Soojung had asked me if I would go to Heaven with her and I had told her that I didn't know, but that where ever she is I will be with her always, and that's where I want to be whether it's me or my heart, I want to be with her. Even if my heart is cold, she will warm it up. If she has my heart and lives till she's old with beautiful wrinkles, I will perish with happiness. Please, I beg you to take my request into consideration."

"Taehyung," Jae said as Taehyung let out a tear.

"I beg you two to save Soojung," Taehyung cried soon falling onto his knees. "Save Soojung with my heart."

"Are you sure you won't regret it?" the man in black asked as Taehyung sniffled.

"Why would I regret?" he asked. "I have no regrets, what-so-ever. All I want is for Soojung to grow up and to be happy."

The men grew heavy hearts and had agreed to take his request. Although it was not impossible to do, it was a risky task for it was a first to save a human's life with a former God of Death's heart. Taehyung had looked down at Jae and smiled.

"Take care of Soojung once she wakes up," Taehyung said with one last drop of tear before he had vanished with the two men, leaving Jae.

Soojung smiled and a tear slipped out, rolling down her cheek. She opened her eyes to the full moon and deeply inhaled the night breeze, lifting her right arm to her chest where her heart was beating.

"It's been 28 years now...and I miss you," she said with more tears rolling down her cheeks, sniffling with a smile. "Are you watching me? I'm living a happy life and I couldn't have done it without you, ahjussi. Thank you for everything and I'll continue to cherish this heart of yours...oppa, I love you."

------

[A/N] : I didn't mention this in the foreward, but this was inspired by a manga, which I can't remember the title of. I just want to say a quick thank you to all my voters, subscribers, commentors (I love reading your comments by the way^^) and silent-readers! Thank so much for loving and supporting this story!! Just, THANK YOU!!!!