Chapter Seven

The Last Dandelion Seed

Taehyung sat in the corner with arms and legs crossed watching Soojung run around the indoor playground with her friends, he couldn't help but smile. Jae was also playing with the kids by either cuddling or being chased by them.

As he was watching Soojung slide down the slide with Jae in her lap, a little girl appeared in front of him. 

"Oppa, play with me~" she chimed as he furrowed his eyebrows. She stood there for a hit, then grabbed his hand dragging him to a ball pin taking his silence as a "yes". The little girl jumped in and gestured for him to jump in too, but he just stood there and gave her a stern look. 

"Do you not want to play?" she asked, still smiling. "Wanna play something else?"

"Why don't you go play with someone else?" he asked as she shrugged. 

"No one wants to play with me," she said, kicking the plastic balls around. "Not even my God of Death."

Those 3 words startled Taehyung as he stared at the little girl. That's right, she wouldn't have been able to see me if she didn't have a God of Death.

"Where is your God of Death?" Taehyung asked as she shrugged again.

"He's usually never around. He only shows up whenever one of those fuzzy things fall off his wrist," she said, throwing the plastic balls around the pin. "He only comes to tell me my time is almost up...."

Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows and stepped into the ball pin with a sigh, like he was being forced into the pin. She looked up at him and smiled brightly. 

"Are you going to play with me?!" she asked as he slowly nodded. She jumped up and down with that same bright smile. 

"Tell me, why won't anyone play with you? I mean I understand your God of Death situation, but the kids...?" Taehyung asked, squeezing the life out of every plastic ball he touched. The little girl gently smiled and pulled her knees up to her chest.  

"They think I have a contagious disease-"

"Don't they all?" Taehyung quietly muttered. 

"...so they stay away from me," she softly said and rolled up her sleeves, revealing red patches. "They're scared of these, but umma told me that it was a beautiful marking. She said these are my birthmarks and that it isn't the reason for my leukemia."

"Leukemia?" Taehyung asked as she nodded. "That's a dangerous cancer for kids...."

"I know, that's why I have a limited time of living," she said with a sigh. "My God of Death told me everything, from sickness to death."

Taehyung looked at her and slowly hung his head low thinking about Soojung and her situation.

"How much longer do you have?" he then asked. 

"Me?" she faintly smiled. "I only have-"

"Ahjussi~!" he heard Soojung's voice. He looked up and saw Soojung running towards them. The little girl he was with, rolled down her sleeves and quietly got out of the ball pin. 

"Oppa, thank you for playing with me. All I needed was a friend to play with and playing with a God of Death was even more fun," she smiled, then waved goodbye. "I hope I see you again! Goodbye~!"

And with that she ran out the exit just as Soojung reached Taehyung. She jumped in the ball pin and threw the balls around. 

"Ahjussi, who was the little girl just now?" Soojung asked, without looking up at him. He deeply inhaled and exhaled, looking at the exit. 

"I don't know her name," he answered and looked down at her. "Yah, are you a bully?"

She looked up and blinked her eyes. "A bully?"

"You're not one of those kids bullying her, are you?" he asked as she shook her head, unsure of what he was talking about. "Wanna make a friend then?"

Knowing Soojung, she smiled widely and nodded. He got out of the ball pin and picked her up, heading out of the room to find the little girl. Although the pediatric department was large, it wasn't hard to find a kid, especially for a God of Death. 

Taehyung found the little girl skipping down the hallway and smiled. He set Soojung down and held her hand, walking towards the girl when a man in black came out of the walls. Taehyung stopped in his tracks and widened his eyes as the man grabbed the little girls hand and walked around the corner. He knew what was happening and so he let go of Soojung's hand, staring at the empty hallway with a firm expression. Seconds later, a heard of nurses and doctors ran across the hallway as Taehyung felt his chest tighten. Soojung also knew what happened and grabbed the end of Taehyung's black leather jacket. He slowly took a step down the hallway as the shouting of a broken mother grew louder and louder, frightening Soojung. 

"Ah-ahjussi," she softly said, but her voice was inaudible to him. Taehyung continued to hesitate towards the room when a nurse walked out. She saw Soojung and  dragged her away from the scene, but Soojung didn't resist like usual and Taehyung continued to walk towards the room with his head low. 

He stood by the door and slowly lifted his head up to see the little girl's mother bawling, he wasn't able to see the girl's face, but he did see her arm hanging off the bed. He saw her birthmark and his chest tightened as a lump grew in his throat.

"They're disgusting, aren't they?" a man asked. "Those markings on her arms."

Taehyung looked at the person and realized it was her God of Death. His blood began to boil and he grabbed the man's collar, but he didn't flinch.

"How could you?" Taehyung asked with trembling lips. "How could you leave a little girl all on her own?! All she wanted was a friend till the end of her death!"

The man scoffed and shoved Taehyung aside as the doctors dragged the body away from the room, right in front of them. 

"How could I?" the man smirked. "I'm a God of Death and it's my job to rid those who don't need to live any longer."

"But-"

"Taehyung, right?" the man asked as Taehyung clenched his jaw. "You've been quite the talk lately back at home because of your sudden change of emotions. Let me remind you that you're also a God of Death, you'll soon be doing the same thing I did to that thing."

The man grabbed Taehyung's wrist and looked at the dandelion. "And by soon, I mean a week."

Taehyung pulled away and glared at the man. 

"The least you could have done for her was to play with her," he said as the man laughed. 

"Play?!" he snorted in disbelief. "Play is for the work of Angels, not for we God of Deaths! Now I see what all the commotion was about at home, you're nothing but a traitor and disgrace to our kind!"

Taehyung felt like he had skipped a breath, but he knew the man was right; Taehyung was unsure of who he really was working for. The man smirked and leaned his face towards Taehyung's. 

"Within a week, she will also die in your hands," the man whispered. "All in all, we're nothing but murderers in disguise...you, Kim Taehyung are one of them."

And with that, the man vanished in thin air as Taehyung found it difficult to breath. He clenched his fist and felt his eyes burn, but it was such an unusual feeling that he let it slide for the time being. He took slow breaths and headed to Soojung's room, but she wasn't there. 

"She's at the rooftop," Jae said from behind. Taehyung flew through the ceilings and was at the rooftop within seconds. He wandered around, looking for Soojung when he heard someone move around. 

"Park Soojung, I know you're up here. Come out," he demanded, but she didn't come out. "I'm counting to 3. 1...2...3-"

She walked out from behind the shed and looked at Taehyung with red, puffy eyes. He furrowed his eyebrows and walked towards her, but she took a step back. 

"S-Soojung," he softly said as she started to cry again. 

"Ahjussi," she cried and ran towards Taehyung, hugging his waist. He was flustered and looked down at her. "I'm scared ahjussi. I...I don't want to die anymore. I don't want to be strong for umma and appa anymore. I've seen too many people dying, ahjussi!"

"Soojung," he whispered. 

"I don't want to die," she bawled. Taehyung bent down and hugged her more comfortably. "Ahjussi, please don't kill me."

Hearing those words, his heart stopped. 

"She will die in you hands...all in all, we're nothing but murderers in disguise...you, Kim Taehyung are one of them...nothing, but murderers in disguise...murderers...in disguise...you...are one of them...Kim Taehyung...please don't kill me". Those words rung in his ears and he started gasping for air. He pushed Soojung aside and ran off to a high, more secluded area. 

He sat against a large tree and pulled his knees to his chest, rocking back and forth in horror. What am I going to do? What am I going to do?

He dug his head in between his arms and felt the wind embrace him. I, Kim Taehyung, am a God of Death. I have no choice...but to kill her.