Chapter Three

The Last Dandelion Seed

 

The first few weeks have gone by a bit slow as Taehyung did nothing, but follow Soojung around the hospital while she gave patients daisies. She was well aware of Taehyung's existence to the publics' eyes, so he floated behind her almost like he was dragging himself to follow her. 
 
"Ahjussi, hurry up! I have to deliver these last daisies to the remaining people!" Soojung smiled as she skipped down the hospital hallway. Taehyung rolled his eyes and flew just a tad bit quicker to her. 
 
"How many times do I have to tell you I'm not an ahjussi?" he muttered, glaring down at her. "What's with the daisies anyways? You've been handing them out the past few days I've been here."
 
"Because they're pretty and I think everyone deserves to see them," she smiled, humming a little tune afterwards. "Umma said its good to give people flowers because they like receiving them."
 
"Not the ones with allergies," Taehyung said, crossing his arms. She stopped skipping and turned around to look up at him. 
 
"That's right. How do you know which ones have allergies and which don't?" she asked as he shrugged. "How do you not know? You're a God of Death, aren't you?"
 
"Exactly. I'm a God of Death, I only take the lives of the sick and the weak," he said, flying away from her. "Hurry and give the flowers to the patients. I'll be in your room to finish you off."
 
Soojung nodded and skipped down the hallway to hand out the rest of the flowers. 
 
"Lately she's been talking to herself a lot," a nurse said, who was watching her talk to the air, or so it seemed like it. 
 
"Do you think she's seeing things?" another nurse asked when Jae walked in between them, startling them. "Oh, what is a cat doing here?"
 
"That's the cat that's been visiting Soojung," the first nurse said. "It's kind of creepy though. Almost like it's here to take Soojung's life or something, that's what black cats do anyways."
 
"Tch, not all black cats take lives," Jae muttered as he trotted away from the nurses. He found Soojung and followed her; she still didn't know that he was able to speak and he preferred it that way. 
 
Soojung stopped at the last door in the hallway and tilted her head while looking at the empty room in front of her. 
 
"Is the nice halmeoni not here?" she questioned when a nurse walked by. "Excuse me, but where did the halmeoni go?"
 
"Halmeoni? Oh, you must be talking about Mrs. Oh," the nurse said with a sweet smile, but then it faded and she softly said, "Mrs. Oh wasn't able to make it. She had to go."
 
"Had to go? Go where?" Soojung asked, but the nurse was too uncomfortable to talk about it with a child. 
 
"She went to Heaven, unless she chose the Gate to Hell," Taehyung said, leaning against the wall. 
 
"Oh, how do you know ahjussi?" Soojung asked looking past the nurse. The nurse looked behind her to see no one in sight; just the wall that ended the hallway, then she turned back to look at Soojung. 
 
"Sweetie, who are you talking to?" the nurse asked with an uneasy smile as Soojung pointed behind the nurse. 
 
"That ahjussi," she said, but forgot that Taehyung was invisible to others. "Never mind, you can't see him anyways, but he said Mrs. Oh went to Heaven, is that true?"
 
The nurse was taken by surprise and looked behind her again to see nothing. 
 
"Y-yeah," she softly said and walked away, not taking her eyes off the empty hallway. "Sweetie, you should go back to your room now."
 
Soojung stared at the nurse walk away and tilted her head. 
 
"She looks like she just saw a ghost," Soojung said to have Taehyung scoff. 
 
"Well, lets go to your room so I can give you that kiss of death," he said, patting her back to follow him with Jae trotting behind. 
 
They walked into her room to see her parents in there. She smiled at them and ran up to them. 
 
"I missed another chance," Taehyung sighed, leaning against the door frame on his arm while crossing his arms. 
 
"Just let her live to her death," Jae said, sitting next to his feet. "It looks like she wants to live her life to the fullest right now, so let her do that."
 
"But she's so annoying and tiring to be with, she's worse than that 6 year old boy Jacob," he said, shaking his head at the memory. 
 
"You have to remember that they're kids with high spirits," Jae said looking up at him. "You have to admit though, Jacob was a cute little kid."
 
"Whatever," Taehyung muttered and stared at Soojung prance around the room. "It's going to be another long day. I'm going up to the roof to rest, you coming?"
 
"I'll meet you there," Jae said and Taehyung flew up into the ceiling, all the way up to the roof. Once he arrived, he saw 6 other Gods of Death. 
 
"I'm guessing you're taking a break like the rest of us, huh?" a male in shades asked; his name was Namjoon. 
 
"Yeah, pretty much," Taehyung replied, laying down on the ground staring up at the clouds. "Who are your humans?"
 
"Mine is an elderly man, he's got quite a temper," Yoongi said, sitting on the edge of the roof wall. 
 
"My human is a middle aged woman, I think she's a cougar," Jongguk said, shivering at the thought of the lady. "She's after me or something cause those eyes are desperate."
 
"The old lady I was with died this morning," Jin said puffing his cheeks in and out. Taehyung turned to look at him. 
 
"Was is Mrs. Oh?" he asked Jin, who nodded. "That was the lady Soojung wanted to give her flower to."
 
"Soojung?" Jimin asked, turning over to his stomach. "Who's she?"
 
"My human girl," he answered. "An annoying little brat."
 
"I bet she's cute though," Jimin smiled. 
 
"Wanna switch? I'd be happy to give her to you," Taehyung said closing his eyes from the sun. 
 
"No, I like my human. She's tall, gorgeous and just my style," he grinned happily. 
 
"She's fat," Jongguk said, earning a glare from Jimin. "Not only is she fat, but she-"
 
"Ahjussi~!" Soojung shouted from the door. All eyes turned to her. "Oh~ there are more ahjussis!"
 
"Ugh, pretend I'm not here," Taehyung groaned and rolled over to his stomach, covering his face in his arms. 
 
"She's cute," Jin smiled as Soojung ran up to them with a bunch of flowers. "But why is she calling us ahjussi? Aren't we supposed to be called oppas in the human world?"
 
Taehyung didn't respond and Soojung plopped besides him. 
 
"Jae told me you were here," she smiled. "I brought you flowers, enough for you all."
 
"No, it's fine," Namjoon said, waving his hands in front of him. "We don't like flowers."
 
"But, I want to give it to you guys," she softly said, touching the petals. "Here Taehyung ahjussi."
 
She handed it to him, but he didn't lift his head up. She pouted and placed the flower behind his ear to have it wilt into ashes. 
 
"Eh? It died...," she softly said, placing another one behind his ear to have it do the same. "Are you purposely killing them?"
 
"No, he's not," Yoongi said. "We Gods of Death can't touch things that are precious. That's why we didn't want to receive your flowers."
 
Soojung looked at the daisies in her hands and slowly released them to have them fall onto the ground. 
 
"But I really wanted to give them to Taehyung ahjussi," she quietly said with a disappointed pout. He lifted his head up to look at Soojung, then to the daisies. 
 
"Then draw me those daisies," he said as she perked up with a bright face. "If you draw me the daisies, they won't wilt or burn to ashes."
 
"Really?!" she asked with a wide grin. She then stood up and ran towards the door, shouting, "I'll make sure it looks pretty for ahjussi~!"
 
Taehyung rolled his eyes and rolled over onto his back. 
 
"That was all an act, right? Being nice and acting like you wanted a daisy," Jongguk said as Taehyung sighed with a nod.
 
"Well, I'm gonna head down to see if she's actually drawing or running down the hallways causing a disturbance again," Taehyung said, standing up to stretch. He decided to take his time and took the stairs down to her room. 
 
Jae rolled around Soojung's bed as she was drawing daisies onto a piece of paper, swinging her legs that hung off the chair. She hummed a tune and smiled to herself while drawing. 
 
Taehyung walked into the room to see her back faced him. He quietly approached her and looked over her shoulder to see how the drawing was going. 
 
Tch, some daisies those are. He thought with a smirk, but that smirk felt more like a smile. He looked down to Soojung as she continued to smile to herself. One and a half more months to go, then you're gone. Will you continue to smile like that until the day comes?