Chapter Two

The Last Dandelion Seed

 

Soo Jung laid in her hospital bed, staring out the window to see something up in the air. 
 
"Umma~ look! A huge bird!" she exclaimed, pointing at what looked like a huge bird. Her mother paid no attention to her and continued to talk to the doctor about Soo Jung's health. Soo Jung, too, was too busy looking at the flying creature in the sky to know whether her mother was paying attention or not. 
 
"What if it's an angel?" she softly smiled, watching the flying creature disappear deeper into the clouds. "It would be nice to meet an angel."
 
The sun was just above the horizon as her mother had just finished her long discussion with the doctor. Soo Jung stared at the cartoon playing on the television when she saw a black cat on the window sill. 
 
"Oh? A kitty," she smiled, sliding out of her bed towards it when her mother walked in the room. 
 
"Soo Jung-ah," her mother said when she saw the cat. "Omo! Soo Jung, don't get near it!"
 
Her mother grabbed her arm, pulling her towards the door. Mrs. Park cautiously looked at the cat and slowly approached it. 
 
"Umma, she's not going to hurt you," Soo Jung said, holding her mother's hand. 
 
"You never know what a black cat can do," her mother said, not taking her eyes off the cat. 
 
"But she's not bad. Look at her cute collar, you can tell she's a good cat," she smiled and walked past her mom to the cat. 
 
"Soo Jung-ah," her mother begged as she picked up the cat in her arms. Soo Jung smiled and cuddled with the cat. 
 
"See? She's nice~!" she chimed and petted the head. "She's a good girl. I'm going to call her Miko."
 
"Honey, you can't name a cat who isn't yours. She does have a collar," Mrs. Park said, loosening the tension in her. She sat down in a chair and sighed. "You should probably give her back to her owner."
 
Soo Jung pouted and hugged "Miko" tighter. 
 
"Fine, but can it sleep with me tonight?" she asked her mother, who made an unsure face. 
 
"We don't know if she has fleas though or some sort of disease," her mother said, scratching her head. Soo Jung blinked her eyes then looked through the fur to see her perfectly clean. 
 
"She's clean and there's no disease," she grinned. "And she smells like vanilla. Please mommy~?"
 
Her mother thought hard about it and couldn't resist her daughter's puppy eyes. She sighed and smiled. 
 
"Fine, but just for tonight though. Got it?" her mother said as Soo Jung shouted in excitement and danced around with Miko. "But how did she even get all the way up here? This is the 3rd floor...."
 
The sun had gone, replaced by the moon just as Soo Jung was getting into bed. Her mother tucked in the sheets and kissed her forehead goodnight as Miko circled around the end of the bed next to her feet to get into a comfortable spot. 
 
"Goodnight umma and Miko," she softly whispered before closing her eyes in a deep sleep. 
 
"Goodnight Soo Jung, but don't sleep too well because you have the whole day tomorrow to sleep, forever," Taehyung said just outside of her window with a smirk on his face. 
 
The next morning, Soo Jung woke up to see Miko gone. She rubbed her eyes and blinked a few times to get a clearer vision. 
 
"Miko? Where are you?" she asked, looking beneath her bed. She was alone in the room with the window opened, letting the morning birds' song in. She got out of bed and walked towards the window, looking out to see nothing, but the empty hospital garden and the small pond in the middle. 
 
"Did she run away?" Soo Jung questioned, looking at the trees and bushes in the garden. "Or is she hiding?"
 
"She was with me," her mother said walking into the room with Miko trailing behind her. Soo Jung turned around and brightened up at the sight of Miko. 
 
"Miko~!" she chimed, running to her to give her a hug. "I thought you ran away!"
 
Her mother giggled and bent over to pet Miko's head as she purred. 
 
"She and I went to put up some signs saying she was found," her mother smiled, softly scratching Miko's cheek. "Hopefully her owner would find one of those signs and take her back."
 
"Awwh, if only I could keep her," Soo Jung pouted to have Miko her cheek. "I bet Miko would want to stay with me too."
 
"Sorry honey, but she has to go back to her home," her mother said then looked at her watch. "I have to get going. I have an appointment with a client, so Nurse Lily will be with you for the day. She said she bought some fun coloring books for you, she knows how much you love to color."
 
Soo Jung nodded with a smile and kissed her mother's lip goodbye, forcing Miko to wave goodbye with her paw. She set Miko down on the ground when the door suddenly opened, letting in cold air. Miko perked up and trotted towards the door to the person who just walked in. Soo Jung looked at Miko, then the feet next to her, slowly making her way up to the face. The person was wearing all black, which scared her just a tiny bit. 
 
"Who are you?" Soo Jung softly asked, keeping her distance from him. 
 
"I saw flyers out on the streets, apparently you found my cat," the person said, staring directly at her. 
 
"Miko is yours?" she asked as he nodded. "But-"
 
"First off, Miko isn't a she, he's...well, he's a he and his name isn't Miko. His name is Jae and he's my assistant," the person said, walking towards her as she stood in her place. "Secondly, I'm here to-"
 
"Wait, so you're saying Miko is a boy?" she asked with a confused face as he stopped talking to nod. She looked at the bed to see Jae curled up. 
 
"Ahjussi, he doesn't seem to have any interest in you. Are you sure he's yours?" she asked as he widened his eyes. 
 
"Ah-ahjussi?!" he asked in disbelief. "Yah, I'm no ahjussi. If I remember correctly, in this human world, I am your oppa! Who are you to call me an ahjussi?!"
 
She stared at him then laughed, taking him by surprise. 
 
"A human girl isn't supposed to laugh at me," he said, confused. "Why are you laughing?"
 
"Because," she said holding in her laugh. "Because ahjussi is funny~!"
 
"Yah! I'm not supposed to be funny! I'm supposed to take your life for I am Taehyung, a God of Death!" he shouted at her, but she could only laugh. "I take my job seriously you know!"
 
"God of Death!" she mockingly laughed. He was getting frustrated with her and decided it was time to just end it right here and right now. So he grabbed her shoulders and leaned forward to give her a kiss of death, but she crossed her hands together making a cross sign. 
 
"Umma said that I shouldn't kiss anyone yet at this age, she said to wait until I grow bigger," Soo Jung said with an angry pout. Taehyung blinked 2 times in confusion. 
 
"No, you got this all wrong," he said, standing straight up crossing his arms. "This is the part where I kiss you and you die. Get it?"
 
"No, I don't get it," she blankly said as he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. 
 
"Jae, help me here," he said turning to him, but Jae rolled over, ignoring him. "Aish, you useless cat."
 
"Heyyy, don't say that to Miko," Soo Jung crossed her arms. 
 
"His name is Jae, not Miko," Taehyung said, placing his hands on his hips as it was popped out to the side, like a mother scolding her child. Soo Jung made a mean face, which made him scoff. "This is going to be harder than I thought it'd be."