Chapter Eight

The Last Dandelion Seed

Morning had come and Taehyung had not returned to the hospital; Jae and Soojung were beginning to worry. She looked out the window and sighed. 

"Ahjussi, where are you?" she whispered, hugging her Pororo toy close to her chest. Jae looked up at Soojung then silently sighed. He jumped off her bed and ran out of the hospital to find Taehyung. 

Taehyung opened his eyes to the bright sun and yawned, stretching his arms up. 

"It's already morning," he softly said. "She's probably awake right now too."

Taehyung stood up and looked down at the city with a deep exhale. 

"Ahjussi, please don't kill me." Taehyung shook his head, trying to make that sentence disappear but it continued to ring in his ears. He stood up against the tree and looked down to his wrist. 6 dandelion seeds left; 6 more days. 

"Maybe I should just kill her now," he softly said. "It's probably better for the both of us if I do."

"Do you really think it's better?" he heard Jae's voice from behind. Taehyung didn't look at him, but nodded. "Why? Once you kill her, you'll start to regret it."

"No," Taehyung said. "I won't regret it. I shouldn't have to regret."

Jae sat down besides his feet and looked up at him. 

"Lies," was all Jae said before it went quiet. The soft breeze brushed Taehyung's hair to the side as he narrowed his eyes to the hospital. 

"Did she sleep well?" he asked Jae, who his paws. 

"Nope," Jae replied as Taehyung looked down at him. "She couldn't sleep because of you. She waited all night for you."

Taehyung felt his chest tighten as he turned his attention to the hospital. He then turned away and started walking off with Jae following behind. 

"Can you do me a favor, Jae?" Taehyung asked, but before Jae could answer and he went on. "Take care of Soojung for the time being. Tell her not to wait up for me and that I'll see her on D-day."

"T-Taehyung," Jae softly said, stopping in his tracks. 

"You can do that, right?" Taehyung asked, glancing over his shoulders to him. 

"I-"

"No matter what, it's your master's orders," Taehyung said and disappeared in thin air without hearing another word from Jae. 

"Why would you just disappear?" Jae whispered. "She needs you more than she needs her parents...."

At the hospital, Soojung had fallen fast asleep due to staying up all night waiting. Taehyung had entered the room with a heavy heart and stared at Soojung. He swallowed hard before walking towards her. 

"I'm sorry you had to wait," he softly said, brushing her hair back. "Ahjussi will be gone for the time being, but Jae will be with you."

He let silence take over as he leaned his head down to give her a peck on the forehead, but stopped himself. 

"If my lips were to touch you, you'd be dead," he whispered against her skin. He placed his hand in between his lips and her forehead, gently pressing his lips against his cold skin. "This is the closest to a goodnight kiss before I give you a real one."

He straightened himself up and headed out the door when he saw her sketchbook on her desk; the book she's been keeping away from him. He walked towards it and read the title, "Adventures with Kim Taehyung and Jae~!"

He smirked with a silent scoff, grabbing it and opening it up to the first page. 

Once upon a time, there was a little girl who was very sick. She was so sick that she didn't have much time to live and so she was given a God of Death friend...

Taehyung continued to read and scan the drawings she drew till he got to the last page. 

On the last day of their journey, Taehyung ahjussi and Miss Soojung headed to the beach for the first and the last time. Soojung was able to see the sunrise with ahjussi just before her time was up. She smiled and thanked ahjussi for being her friend, for laughing with her, for taking care of her and for being with her for the last time.... Taehyung looked at Soojung and gave her a kiss on the cheek, taking her life, but she died happily knowing it was ahjussi who had sent her up to Heaven. -The End

Taehyung felt a lump grow in his throat as he felt his eyes sting. He clenched his teeth and gripped on the sketchbook. He heard her shift in the bed and so he ran out the door with her sketchbook. He heavily breathed and stood up against the wall, sliding down to sit. 

"Soojung, you pabo," he softly said though clenched teethes. He flipped through the book again just as Jae walked up to him. 

"I thought you weren't going to show yourself to her," Jae said as Taehyung quickly stood up, hiding the sketchbook behind him. 

"I came to see her for the last time before it really becomes our last meeting," he cleared his throat. "You'll take care of her, right?"

Jae didn't want to, but he nodded as Taehyung softly smiled. 

"Thank you, Jae," Taehyung said, taking Jae by surprise. 

"I-it's the first time you've smiled to me," he said as Taehyung continued to smile. "Don't worry about her, I'll take good care of her."

"I know you will," Taehyung said and vanished once again into thin air with the sketchbook. Jae sighed and entered the room to see Soojung sitting against the wall on her bed; her knees brought up to her chest. Jae, unable to speak in front of her, jumped onto the bed to cuddle beside her. She petted him while looking out the window. 

"Ahjussi's not coming back, is he Jae?" Soojung mumbled in her arms. Jae looked up at her as she looked down at him with tears and a weak smile. "Ahjussi...I want to see him. I miss him. I want to tell him I'm sorry for yesterday. I don't want to be alone till the end."

Soojung cried in her arms as Jae tried to comfort her. 

"Ahjussi," she cried. "Taehyung ahjussi...oppa!"