Chapter Four

The Last Dandelion Seed

Taehyung walked around the hospital's garden with Soojung as she picked up every flower she thought was pretty. She repeatedly hummed a tune while skipping around the garden, carrying a woven basket to carry the flowers in. 

"Ahjussi, when I drew the daisies, did you like them?" she asked, staring up at Taehyung. 
 
"Sure," he said with no emotions. 
 
"Then can I draw you more, but this time not daisies?" she asked as he nodded. "Really?!"
 
"Sure, it's not like you have that much time left to do these sorts of things anyways," he coldly said, but she didn't feel his coldness. She smiled brightly and skipped around when she saw an unfamiliar flower. 
 
"Oh, ahjussi, what kind of flower is this? It's pretty," she said, plucking it out of the soil. The wind blew past and lifted the seedlings off into the sky. "Oh~ it even flies off."
 
Taehyung took the flower from her hand and crumpled it up in his hands. 
 
"Ahjussi, I thought you couldn't touch flowers-"
 
"It's not a flower, but a weed," he said, letting the weed fall onto the cement. "It's called a dandelion and I'm able to touch it because it's nothing precious; it's a weed that everyone wants to get rid of."
 
Soojung nodded like she understood then noticed the dandelion on his wrist. 
 
"Then what about that dandelion?" she asked, pointing at his inner wrist. He looked at it and stuck his hands deep in his pockets. "Do people want to get rid of that dandelion too?"
 
"It rids itself," he simply said and walked away as she trotted behind him. She picked up more dandelions as they walked back to the hospital. 
 
"Yah, stop picking those weeds," Taehyung said without having to look behind him to know she was still picking up more. 
 
"Even if the dandelion is a weed, I still think it's pretty," she said letting the wind carry the seedlings away. "When the wind carries the seeds up in the air, it's almost as if they're dancing, don't you think? While everyone wants to get rid of them, I want to keep them all and blow the seeds away for them keep on dancing for me."
 
Taehyung turned around to look at her and sighed. 
 
"Let's just go back to your room already," he said and continued to walk forward as she continued to pick more flowers along the way. 
 
After picking up enough flowers to satisfy Soojung, they both headed back to her room to see Jae asleep on the bed. 
 
"This fur-ball is still asleep?" Taehyung scoffed as Soojung set the woven basket on the table. She neatly arranged the flowers and began drawing them in her notebook that she kept hidden from Taehyung.
 
Just out in the hallway, they heard a girl screaming and crying. Taehyung and Jae were well aware of what had happened while on the other hand, Soojung was curious, yet scared of what was happening. 
 
"Ahjussi, what's going on out there?" she asked as he looked out to the hallway to see a black cat and a kid in black walk past. He sighed and shut the door, looking at her. 
 
"Nothing, a mission was just completed," he said and sat down on the edge of the bed to hear the girl's cry die out. 
 
"The cry of that girl...it's scary," Soojung softly said, looking down at the ground. "She's not dying, is she?"
 
"She's not," Taehyung assured her. But her mother.
 
Soojung nodded and continued to draw when her parents walked in. She turned to look at them and smiled brightly.
 
"Umma! Appa!" she exclaimed, jumping off the chair and running up to them, giving them a hug.
 
"How's my little girl doing?" her father asked, sitting on the chair as he lifted her up onto his lap. Taehyung got off the bed and decided to stand in the corner while Jae continued to lay on the bed, purring at the touch of Soojung's mother. 
 
"I'm doing just fine appa," Soojung answered. "But did you see the girl crying out there?"
 
Her parents exchanged looks and forced on a smile for they had seen the girl and the dead mother. 
 
"We didn't see anyone out there, Soojung-ah," her mother lied with a soothing voice. "You're probably just hearing things."
 
"Oh? But I heard her though and Taehyung ahjussi told me," she said pointing to the corner he was standing at, but of course her parents only saw the empty, dark corner. 
 
"Soojung-ah, appa and I have decided to the next month and a half off, is there something you'd like to do?" her mother asked. Soojung tapped her chin with a sweet smile. 
 
"I want to go to the beach~!" she exclaimed with a finger snap. "I also want to go to the amusement park and eat lots and lots of food~! Especially pizza and ice cream!"
 
Her parents laughed and cuddled together. 
 
"We'll do all of that, but you also have to think about your health Soojung-ah," her father chuckled. "So we'll limit ourselves on pizza and ice cream, okay?"
 
"Yes appa," she smiled and hugged her father. "But why did you and umma take a month and a half days off?"
 
Her parents' smile faded and they both looked at each other. 
 
"Because that's all the time you have left," Taehyung said as Soojung looked at him. "They stopped working, so that they could be with you everyday until that day comes."
 
Soojung nodded and smiled at her parents. She cupped her daddy's face and kissed his forehead, taking him by surprise. 
 
"Soojung-"
 
"Appa, umma...," she softly spoke. "Thank you."
 
"Eh? What are you thankful for?" her father asked with a forced smile. 
 
"I just want to thank you, that's all," she smiled, knowing that that "thank you" meant more. "Also, I know why that girl was crying."
 
"Soojung, be careful of what you say to your parents," Taehyung said, knowing she'd hit their sensitive spot. She looked at him and nodded. 
 
"Soojung, what are you talking about?" her mother asked, brushing her daughter's hair. "There was no girl crying."
 
"No, there was," Soojung softly smiled. "She cried because she lost someone precious to her, just like when you cried when grandfather died, umma."
 
Her mother was shocked and speechless as if something sharp had just hit her in the chest. 
 
"Will umma and appa cry like that...for me too?" Soojung asked, still smiling as her parents slowly broke down. Taehyung sighed and knew she wouldn't listen to his words. Her mother had already began crying as her father held in his tears. 
 
"Soojung-ah," they both whispered. 
 
"It's okay to cry like that for me. I won't be mad," Soojung said. "Because I know umma and appa love me, they will also cry for me."
 
Her mother cried harder and hugged Soojung, tight in her arms. 
 
"Pabo, do you know what you've just done?" Taehyung asked as Soojung hugged her mother and father. She looked at him and nodded. 
 
"I...I will stay strong for umma and appa," she said, directly speaking to Taehyung. He scoffed with a smirk. 
 
"Can you do that for the next month and a half?" he asked as she nodded. "I better not see a shed of tear then."
 
"I promise you, you won't," she smiled and hugged her parents tighter as they cried. Taehyung tilted his head down while crossing his arms, leaning against the wall. 
 
Park Soojung...are you really the same free-spirited girl I first met? At a time like this, you should be the one crying, the one to be protected by your parents...the one to fear death.