Chapter One

The Last Dandelion Seed

 

It was a beautiful day; the sun out and shining, birds singing and the laughter of children playing at the park. It was a perfect Sunday, except for one thing. 
 
"Are you ready? Your time is almost up," Taehyung said, looking at the "tattooed" dandelion on his wrist that was nothing, but a single seed left.
 
The dandelion symbolized the amount of time a person lived; as time goes by, the seeds fly away until there was nothing left of it which leads to the person dying. Then a new dandelion would appear on the wrist of a God of Death and a new human would have to decide whether to live till their death or to go the easy route; die instantly with a kiss, but it's also the God of Death's choice on what they will do to the human. 
 
What is a God of Death you ask? Simple; they take the lives of those dying. Whether they're children or elders, God of Death takes their life without consideration or mercy. I guess you can say, God of Deaths' don't have any sort of life within them, no sort of feelings; not even a heart. But what they do isn't bad, they take the lives of the weak and send them off to heaven to live peacefully.
 
Taehyung stared at the dandelion, then looked at the human he was assigned to. She was an elderly woman who was fighting cancer. 
 
"Mrs. Choi, we have to get you back to the hospital so that I can finish you off there. I'm sure your granddaughter wouldn't want to see you die right here in the park," Taehyung said to the elderly lady, who just smiled as she watched her grandchild run around the playground. 
 
"Just a bit longer, please," Mrs. Choi smiled with a tear slipping out. Taehyung sighed and looked at his wrist to see the dandelion seed loosen up. 
 
"5 more minutes should be enough," he said and looked at the children running around and laughing. "But if we stall, it'll be more painful. Every human I've been assigned to, the ones that decide to live till their death, they seem to die more painfully than just having their life taken from me."
 
"That's fine. I can handle pain," Mrs. Choi smiled and stood up from the wooden bench. She wiped her eyes and forced on a smile. "Hyemi-ah, lets go back now. Your mother is waiting for us."
 
"Yes halmeoni~!" Hyemi, her granddaughter, shouted and ran up to her. 
 
As a God of Death, Taehyung was invisible to the publics' eyes, so Hyemi ran past him and held onto her grandmother's hand. He walked behind them and watched the two laugh with one another. He looked down to his wrist and saw the seed just barely hanging on. He knew they weren't going to make it back to the hospital in time, but he couldn't do anything because she was going to die and Gods of Death can't interfere in a human's death. 
 
"You should have left earlier," a voice said next to Taehyung. He looked at the owner of the voice and scoffed. 
 
"What are you doing here, Jae?" Taehyung asked, looking down at the black cat strutting besides him. 
 
"I'm here to witness the death of that old lady," Jae said, looking up at Taehyung with those bright green eyes of his. "I'm your assistant anyways, so I have to be here."
 
"Assistant my ," Taehyung muttered. "You're nothing, but a useless talking cat roaming the city for trash."
 
"Hey, at least I try to blend in," Jae muttered back and Taehyung flew up in the air to catch up to his human. He watched Mrs. Choi slow down her pace to catch her breath in every little step she took. 
 
"Just end it now Taehyung, she can't hold on any longer," Jae said, following behind him. 
 
"This is what she wanted, so let her do it her way-"
 
"But her granddaughter is with her. No child wants to see someone die in front of their eyes, especially someone they love," Jae said, watching Mrs. Choi bend down, placing her hands on her knees. "Taehyung, end it now."
 
He looked at his inner wrist and the dandelion seed was just hanging on for it's dear life. He slowly exhaled and walked over to Mrs. Choi. 
 
"Halmeoni, are you okay?" Hyemi asked, gripping onto Mrs. Choi's hand, scared. "Halmeoni?"
 
"I'm fine Hyemi," Mrs. Choi could barely smile. She breathed heavily, seeing Taehyung in front of her. 
 
"I told you it'd be more painful like this," Taehyung said with no sympathy in his voice. "Shall I end the pain now?"
 
"Please, I don't want to die in front of Hyemi," she cried. "Wait until we get to the hospital."
 
"Halmeoni, what are you talking about?" Hyemi cried along with her. "Stop talking about these things, it's not funny! Halmeoni!"
 
"Sorry, but the last seedling just flew away," Taehyung said as Mrs. Choi slowly fell on her knees. 
 
"Please," Mrs. Choi begged, gasping for air while clenching onto her shirt to endure the pain in her heart. He bent down and leaned towards her, looking at her eyes as she looked at his. He grabbed her hand and kissed the top of it. "Rest in peace."
 
With that, her heart stopped along with her last breath. 
 
"H-halmeoni?" Hyemi asked with wide eyes and her tears spilling out freely. "Halmeoni!! Wake up! Halmeoni! Someone call the ambulance! Please!!! Help me!!"
 
Taehyung stood up above Mrs. Choi's lifeless body and walked away as citizens ran to help the little girl. Jae followed behind him, glancing back at the crowd. 
 
"Poor little girl," Jae softly said as Taehyung had no feeling of guilt or sorrow in him. 
 
"People are born to live and to die, this isn't anything new to be crying over about," he said, looking down at Jae with those sharp, firm eyes of his. 
 
"But-"
 
"Shut up," he said, sticking his hands in his pockets. "It's annoying having to listen to you pity those humans."
 
Jae rolled his eyes and continued to trail behind Taehyung when his collar bell began to ring. 
 
"Looks like you have another patient," Jae said, now in a sitting position while scratching the back of his ear with his hind legs. 
 
"Who is it this time?" Taehyung asked with a yawn. Jae perked his ear up and held his nose up as if he was sensing who the person was. 
 
"It's a girl," he began to say. "A young girl around 8 years old. She has heart disease and has 2 months left to live. She's in a hospital not too far from here. If I'm correct from the signals I'm receiving from The Boss, her name is Park Soo Jung."
 
"Park Soo Jung?" Taehyung repeated as Jae nodded. "I'll go see her tomorrow morning and take her life once I do."
 
"You God of Death really are something," Jae sighed. "Why didn't I just join the Angels?"
 
"You'd be just as useless to them as you are to me," Taehyung scoffed with a smirk and released his wings, spreading it. With one powerful flap, he flew up to the sky and disappeared in the clouds.