X

Memory Lane

 

"Finale"

 

 

It took Soojung one hour and thirty minutes later to finally get ready and presented herself well in front of Jongin’s car window. Of course she missed some parts of her messy hair and her makeup was not fully done, since she only has a very limited time to be ready, but she didn’t really care. She’s curious with his presence; she wanted to get the answer as soon as possible. He put down the glass window and greeted her with his cheeky smile.

“Good morning!” he said happily.

“You’re crazy. Are you taking weeds or something?” she asked him while she walked to the other side of the car, sitting on the passenger seat.

“It’s good to go outside early in the morning, right?” he smiled. “Ready to go?” he asked her, as he wore his seat belt.

Soojung sighed and shook her head. “Where are we going?”

“Where do you want to go?” he asked her back.

“Where are you planning to take me?”

“I don’t know”

That’s enough to make Soojung looked at Jongin who sit there with a wide grin. He didn’t move his eyes from her; in fact, he kept looking at her, smiling.

“Are you being serious here?” she narrowed her eyes as she suspiciously looking at him.

He nodded. “Tell me where you want to go or what you want to do and I’ll take you there”

“That’s so absurd, Jongin”

“I know, but that’s the fun thing. We can do something out of the blue and I think that would be fun. So where do you want to go?”

Soojung raised one of her eyebrows. “You gotta be kidding me” she muttered.

“Where?” he asking her with a playful yet demanding look.

She’s thinking for a while, waiting if Jongin just burst in laugh that showed if he just pranking her; but he didn’t. So she’s in for his game. If there’s a place she wanted to go along with him, maybe this place included in her list of things she wanted to do with Kim Jongin. Maybe for once she could try a date with Kim Jongin.

“Yeouido Park”

 

They arrived in the park and as soon as she walked out from the car, she breathed the morning scent of the park. It’s still so early; elders usually take a morning walk or doing some sports before starting the day in the park and that day was no exception. Soojung saw a lot of elders and some housewives taking their baby or kids walking around the park. Jongin stood next to her and smiled in satisfaction. It’s indeed still early in the morning, but somehow they didn’t feel all tired or sleepy. In turn, they’re feeling energized by the fresh morning air.

But the thing was their clothes actually didn’t really match well with the event. Since it’s autumn already, both wore something a little warm for their outfit. Soojung wore her jeans paired with green checkered shirt that covered with her denim jacket, her white sneakers matched well with the outfit while her dark wavy hair was being loosened. Jongin himself wore something a bit similar to her. Along with his white jeans, Jongin wore a white shirt and grey knitted sweater as he wore an outer to complete his look. He wore his grey hi-top to pair his outfit and as he saw how Soojung glanced at him, he knew that he looked pretty great in her eyes. He pressed a satisfaction smile at her little sneaky action.

“So what to do in here now?” she asked him.

“What do you want?”

She sighed and slapped his shoulder playfully. “Why you keep asking on me?”

“Is there anything wrong with that?” he shrugged his shoulder. “Besides, you’re the one who wanted to go to this place”

“You’re the one who asked me out but then you keep asking me where to go and what to do. Don’t you have plan?” she let out her fussy comment.

“There’s no plan”

Soojung blinked her eyes for a few times as she heard his answer. “No plan?”

He shook his head. “I just… Well, I don’t know if this sounds creepy. I mean-“

“Tell me”

Jongin looked at her and smiled genuinely, the kind of smile he always gave to her whenever he saw her, the smile that’s her favorite. Jongin took a deep breath and randomly scratched the back of his head.

“I just want to spend a day with you”

And that left Soojung speechless. This guy in front of him, whom she longed for quite a time, who used to be her favorite escapism, stood across her and said that he wanted to spend a day with her. She couldn’t say anything and in turn, she could only just look back at him. If this was a dream, she really has to make sure that she sleeps longer and wouldn’t wake up by the voice of her alarm clock.

“Soojung?” he called her, trying to make her speak again.

“Oh. Uhm. Oh. Okay…” she replied, a bit startled and nervous.

This was new to them. In their previous relationship, Jongin or Soojung would not say this kind of things. They’re friends back then although she has a feeling for him, and they never quite do anything unplanned. They go somewhere because they have to or just to accompany either him or her, but never because one of them wanted to spend time with each other.

“Shall we start with walking around the park?” he suggested.

She just nodded to his words and by then, they started walking. Although they didn’t really matched well with the environment, since the people around there mostly still wearing sport wears or plainly pajamas, in the end Jongin and Soojung had fun in their morning walk. They’re just talking though, about what happened after college, what kind of works they did, and some trivial things just to catch up the missing three years since their last meeting.

Soojung learned that Jongin now worked at one of the famous construction company in Japan. He worked on apartment for living or doing renovation for old buildings in the country. He told her that previously he went also to some developing country to help them to build houses or just water system. She realized that he’s actually working on his dream, to work at the field he loves and to do the social contribution he always wanted to do. He’s so enthusiast when he talked about the things he likes and years not seeing him, she thought that he’s not changing at all. He still smiled gorgeously whenever he explained things and the eyes smile he gave to her as he laughed in happiness, made her heart fluttered. Maybe after all, he’s really never left her heart and she never really shut him off from her mind.

They continued to walk until the sun started to rise and give a little of its warmth to them. But when Soojung’s stomach couldn’t hide her hunger anymore, he suggested them to take some brunch at the nearest café. For the first, Soojung and Jongin shared a table for brunch. They never did it before and the idea of doing it just somehow excited them.

As their hunger stole the attention, Jongin and Soojung ordered quite a lot of foods. He ordered a set of American breakfast for himself while she preferred a plate of white omelet. In addition, they ordered a pitch of orange juice and two glasses of skim milk along with the pancake covered with maple syrup. They didn’t have to wait long as the café served their orders right away. Their table filled with foods and their laughter made the eating activity more enticing.

They talked about Sehun and his girlfriend, which they found amazingly cute as pair. In the end, Sehun fell for Inhye, the girl from Politics Faculty who caught his attention. They started as rival in a debate competition, but end up with Sehun landed his feeling towards her. Even though it was not easy, they made it and now, they’re preparing their upcoming wedding. Besides Sehun, Soojung also told Jongin about her experience on visiting other countries as she worked and how she sometimes missed home, on which he felt the same.

“But aren’t your parents staying in Japan also? I don’t think you miss your home when you’re in the same city with them?” she asked him as she sipped the orange juice. He just sheepishly smiled towards her as he ate the pancake.

When he recalled his working experience in Japan, he would probably tell her that he’s okay even though he’s feeling a little lonely. He didn’t have a friend to share what he’s been doing, to tell that he’s feeling extremely tired that day or just to fool around. Jongin has his parents along with him, but still, he’s feeling lonely. So he tried to build some relationships, which never really work. It would be either because the girl he likes was not having the reciprocal feelings with him or simply because she’s not the girl he’s been longing for; the one that’s sitting across him currently.

He watched her as she happily ate the omelet while she reading some updates through her phone. Her hair was partially messy, but he likes the way its wavy fell on her shoulder. He adored how she managed to look pretty just by using an eyeliner and lipstick, face barely touched by the powder. Even the way she chewed the pancake took his attention and he could enjoy this pretty view right in front of him.

Jongin fell for Soojung.

At the very last, he could very much admit it. He tried to look for the answer, back when he saw her during the graduation. He likes her, he knew it for sure, but the way he forcefully kissed her totally not showing how exactly he felt for her. She must have been hated him, but when she said that she forgave him, it’s sounded like hope; a hope that there could be something between him and her, on which he exactly wanted to happen but maybe, maybe it’s too soon, he thought.

His eyes suddenly met with hers and the way she smiled to him made Jongin feeling butterfly. This is what people said about falling for someone, every details of their existence mattered. Somehow, he couldn’t imagine if that smile, that glance, that laugh was never directed to him. He didn’t even want to wonder if he couldn’t see her again. He laughed at his own mind, how crazy he has been just by imagining her. Maybe if they travelled back to the time when he’s still in the university and befriended her and someone told her that he would fall for Soojung, he would just laugh at the words. But now, he’s head over heels over her and he didn’t think he could stop. Problem is…he didn’t know if she feels the same.

“What are we doing after this?” she suddenly asked him, munching a fries on her hand.

He looked at his watch and didn’t realize that it’s actually past noon already. “Whatever you want”

“It’s me again?” she asked in surprise. “You know, I think you started to use me to do the thing you hated the most”

“And what is that?”

“Making a plan” she replied as she smiled playfully. He raised his hands in defense mode and nodded. “I surrender”

“Oh please” she mocked him but didn’t miss to laugh at him. He felt his stomach made a weird motion again upon her smile.

“So, have you thought about our next destination?” he asked her.

“Sure” she nodded in excitement.  

“Where?”

 

In a mere of time, they arrived to the next destination. The shopping mall.

It’s been her wish all along. During the day in the university, she always wondered how it would feel to shop along with Jongin. She often heard from her friends that one of the best dating experience was shopping along with their boyfriend. That time, she has no boyfriend but Jongin, and she couldn’t stop imagining how it would be to shop with him. And here they are at the shopping mall.

Jongin mocked her, of course, it would be the best thing he could do to her but she didn’t care and just go for laps of window shopping. She really wanted to torture him by making him walked few times around the mall. They visited the shoes stores, bags stores, clothing stores, and even makeup stores. She kept walking from one store to another.

“I don’t get it why you should go around these two floors over shoes you saw on the first store, only to get back to another lap before going to the first store where you saw the shoes?” he asked in annoyance.

“It’s called comparison. How can I be sure over a thing I want to buy if I didn’t check it all along?” she replied flatly.

“You just plainly torturing me” he replied with a defeated voice, which in turn made her laugh.

“Ok, ok, just one more section and we’re done. Deal?”

He just weakly nodded to her and followed her steps. There, he realized that they’re in the guy’s section. His curiosity grew high when he saw her looking at some plaid shirt and jacket.

“Do you shop your clothes in man’s area? Never knew that” he commented.

She rolled her eyes. “As if it is for me”

“For who then?”     

“Since I’ve got the shoes I wanted, I think it would be nice if at least I could choose clothes for you” she replied nonchalantly, checking on the jackets. He pressed the smile he wanted to let out.

“Choose well then” he said as he left the jackets area to check on the shirts.

Soojung just eyed him and chuckled, sometimes he’s just cute like that. And she’s more than happy to do it. It’s her wish anyway, to choose the clothes for him. She didn’t know why, but she has a feeling that maybe it’s just a dream, all of these things that happened along with Jongin. So before she really has to wake up with the fact that he might be leave anytime soon, it’d be better for her to fulfill her hidden wish. At least she has done several things she wished to do with him. That would be enough for her.

“All of these?” Jongin’s eyes grew bigger as he saw the piles of clothes Soojung gave him. It was several shirts and jackets and sweater for him to try. She just nodded happily, it’s not like he hates it though. In the end, he tried all of the clothes she paired for him.

She laughed all along every time Jongin came out with the clothes she’s been choosing. He did it playfully though, acting like he’s a model on the runway. She smiled because it’s surprisingly fitted him, all the clothes. And in turn, she’s the one who surprised with what he did as he went to the cashier.

“You’re buying those?” she appointed at the clothes in his hands.

“Yes” he nodded, handed the cloths to the cashier.

“Why?”

“Because you chose it for me” he simply replied as he took out his wallet to pay for it.

“What?” she frowned.

“I ran out of some clothes since I went back to Seoul, so I guess I do need to shop for clothes. Thanks to you” he smiled at Soojung.

She could do nothing but just accepting his words. It’s been her pleasure to see him wearing the clothes she chose for him, so secretly she’s happy and without her knowing, his heart was overflow with happiness also. If only they knew that both felt the same.

“Is it fine to move to the last destination?” he asked her when they’re done with the shopping.

“Is it your idea this time?” she replied. He nodded, smiling cutely at her. “Show me the way then”

Once he parked the car, Soojung raised her eyebrows. From the places she could have been thought, this would be the last place she thinks he would have taken her. It’s their university, again.

“I wanted to try the ice cream we used to buy at the cafeteria. The last time I came here, I didn’t get a chance to buy it” he said, taking her to the East Wing of the building.

The ice cream place is a small store with cute interior. They brought some cupcakes for take away and getting out of the store to go to the park in the center of the university. Since it’s on the weekend, the university was not too crowded. They sat at the bench enjoying the ice cream. He got his mint chocolate ice cream, while she’s happily digging in her cookies and cream.  

The last time they came here, she still remembered some buildings got renovated but mostly there’s nothing really changing about those buildings. She’s glad that the park stayed the same; it’s really comfortable to sit in here while waiting for her class if she’s not staying in the library in between classes. Soojung could tell that Jongin enjoyed the park also.

The mood was indeed so different from the first time she met him several weeks ago, when she finally saw him again after years not seeing each other. It was gloomy and a little sad back then, but now, they’re sitting next to each other with a big smile plastered in their face. They were laughing at each other talking about random things when the rain suddenly fell. He immediately removed his outer and placed it above their heads, took her with him to move to the nearest building.

Their clothes were quite wet since the rain was pretty heavy and the building was a bit far to reach from the park. Their hair went a little damp as well as their wet face. They took a seat in the stone desk at the building they’re staying. She offered him some napkins to dry the water in their skin. He made sure that she didn’t feel cold by adjusting his outer around her body. It’s a good thing he wore the knitted sweater today, otherwise he might went cold after being drenched under the rain.

Since the rain still falling, they pretty much couldn’t do anything but waiting for it to end. It’s silent for a while, because they just enjoyed each other’s presence. His hand slightly touched her skin and somehow, it’s like he felt a little hot upon the interaction between their skins. She looked pretty from his side of view, no matter how the rain ruined her hair, on which she complained.

“Do you remember this?” he appointed the scar on his right hand [1].

Soojung diverted her gaze to his hand before looking at him. Of course she remembered. She just realized that he has the scar the first time she spent a night in his place. She asked him how he got it, but he never answered her. Soojung nodded at him, confirming that she remembered.

“I got it back when I was in the last year of junior high school. I was a little rebellious during that time” he chuckled. “I was kind of arguing with my dad because he didn’t allow me to go with my friends for some outing, he said that it’s kind of dangerous for kids like us to go to the beach using the motor cycle. But since all of my friends were going, I decided to sneak on my dad and went along with my friends. What my father said indeed true, it’s dangerous”

He stopped his story as he looked at the sky, his eyes filled with regret.

“We’re having accident. It’s a quite huge one; it’s covered in the news that time. Since all of us riding the motorcycle, we just plainly drove it a little careless, thinking that the road to the beach wasn’t really crowded. We don’t even have the license, but we didn’t care. And that’s when it happened” he paused to take a breath.

“Suddenly there’s a huge bus, driving fast coming from different direction and it crashed with one of the motorcycles and all of us basically spent on. The last thing I remembered was a sting pain in my hand and I just realized that there’s a big piece of glasses stabbed my right hand. It was blood everywhere and I couldn’t see clearly because slowly I lost my consciousness”

She covered with her hand as she heard his story. It must have been really painful. No wonder the scar was quite deep, tattooed in his hand.

“I was lucky just to get the stab there and some cuts. My other friends even got their ribs broken. But it’s such a wakeup call for me. I was fainting for two days and when I woke up, I saw my mother crying next to me while I saw a glimpse of disappointment in my father eyes. It just hit me that I might be just died during the accident and from that experience”

Jongin shrugged and let out a sigh. “I promised myself that I won’t disappoint my parents anymore… It’s a dark period for me and my family; I was crippled for a year because my left leg was pressed by the motorcycle’s weight when the accident happened. And during the moment, I started to being a loner and having less and less friends”

“Why you decided to be a loner? Your friends, didn’t they help you to recover?”

“Oh, they offered help” he answered. “It’s me who felt annoyed with the way they did it. They’re not offering help; they pity me, which I hate. So I started to ignore people. Sehun was an exception, since he’s pretty much ignorant and somehow, I like to hang out with him. Both of us ignore each other, so I thought it’d be good. If it’s a relationship, it could be said as no string attached” he chuckled over his last words.

Soojung watched him expressing himself. For him to be opened up like this must have been hard. She recalled that in university Jongin did have some friends, but sometimes, he made a space between them. He has classmates or basketball friends, but the one he usually commutes with was only Sehun, and her. She basically spent so many times with him, and she wondered if he thought her as a close friend.  

“The once happy and cheerful Kim Jongin went into some grumpy guy who’s hated by his friends” he softly added, chuckled to himself.

“You’re not hated” she corrected him, smiling.

“There’re not so many people like you, you know? You could hear me telling the alien theories based on the existence of some pyramids all over the world, remember?” Soojung nodded over his words, still smiling. “It’s weird for you to just stay with me as you listened to my boring stories… And for that, I have to thank you” he smiled back at her.

She watched him with a teary eye. So it was the reason why he’s a loner, why he didn’t really have lots of friends, and why he got the scar.

“Hey, what’s with the tears?” he asked her as he wiped her tears and let out a chuckle.

Soojung immediately wiped her own tears, surprised by his touch in her cheek. “It’s just…a little sad” she mumbled.

Jongin let out a hearty laugh. “It’s over. I’m fine now and my relationship with my father is much better now. There’s nothing to worry” he made an OK sign with his fingers.

She sniffled upon her tears and glanced at him. It was so random for him to tell her this story.

“Why are you suddenly telling me this story?” she asked him when her tears already wiped away.  

There’s seconds of silence before Jongin could answer the question.

“Today marked the 10th year of the accident. I didn’t realize it’s already that long” he replied. “It happened on my birthday” he added as he looked at her. Soojung made a frowns of her eyebrows and quickly memorized the date, realizing that it’s indeed his birthday. He took out something from the pocket inside his cardigan and flashed it in front of her eyes. A card.

“Do you remember this?”

Soojung accepted the card Jongin gave to her. It was Jongin’s picture printed in postcard size. In the picture he was looking focused on his computer screen, one leg on the chair while the other one stay on the ground as he played the game. Soojung smiled to herself as she recalled the memory.

It’s one of the days when she had an afternoon nap at his place, and right when she’s awake, the view of Jongin greeted her. Soojung took her cellphone and took a candid picture of it. She gave the picture as a gift along with a grey jumper that turned to be his favorite clothes to wear before sleep during a cold night. She added the word ‘Happy birthday, Kim Jongin’ on the picture and used it as a card.

“You still keeping it” she said, more like a self-relief expression to see her gift stayed with him. She touched the picture softly, remembering how she was madly in love with him that time, smiling to herself.  

“Wait” she looked at him like she just realized something. “So today you’re having your birthday then?”

Jongin nodded, grinning at her cute late reaction.

“I’m sorry I don’t remember it…” she said, feeling a little guilty. “No worry” he responded, shook his head.

She looked at her watch and exchanged a look at Jongin. “We still have a time to celebrate your birthday today. Do you wish to do something or do you want anything?”

Jongin looked at her, hesitated a bit, but then he smiled warmly towards her.

“Be my gift, Jung Soojung”

Soojung blinked her eyes several times, trying to digest what Jongin said to her. Jongin watched her expression, gazing at her eyes before he could speak what he had been wanted to say.

“I like you, Soojung”

She went blank and could only watched him changed his sitting position, making him facing her straightly. There he goes again, she thought. It was a little different to listen to it now. The first time he said to her that he likes her, it was on her graduation and during that time, she’s not happy at all because she’s still angry to him and she couldn’t tell that she ever wanted to involve with Jongin again in her life.

But this time, it sounded better and it felt wonderful to hear it from his lips. Kim Jongin likes her; the guy she helplessly falling for is actually and finally, likes her.

“I mean, maybe this is not the best time to say it but screw the perfect timing. I’ve spent years being separated from you and I just knew that what I felt to you since 4 years ago remained the same. And even though you think that I was such an annoying bastard for hurting your heart and came back to confess to you, I just want to tell you that I really like you”

He looked at her in such a weak glance. It’s kind of different with his usual gaze that she knew. It’s a glance given by a person who didn’t know what to do, who couldn’t say anything else, because they’re helpless. She knew, because she’s once having this glance every time her friends asked her what exactly she felt for Jongin. She’s in love with him but she couldn’t do anything during that time. And how painful it was…

“Maybe it’s pointless, because now I understand what you felt to me back when were still in the university, when you’re dying to tell what you’re feeling but you can’t” he paused, taking a breath. “I unconsciously hurting you, I guess it was karma, but listen…” he made a time out sign with his hands.

“I like you not because of the karma, but because I’ve realized that actually I want you and no matter how hard I tried to deny it or just to hide it, the feeling grew bigger. And that’s one of the reasons why I wanted to meet you, Soojung. Because I want to proof whether I really like you or just…”

He hung his words. He really messed up, all the confidence he has seemed like gone with the wind. The endless practices he did before he says these words just meant nothing; it vanished into the thin air. He seemed like a crazy person who kept saying things and he didn’t even know what to say again to her. She‘s just sitting next to him and watched him being frantic all over his feeling. But Soojung knew one thing, she’s on the same condition with him and she’s also in the middle of proofing her own feeling to him, whether she still likes him or she wanted him to be away from her life. And she found the answer.

Soojung slowly took Jongin’s hand and softly pressed it, trying to make him relax. Jongin didn’t fail to feel her touch on his skin.  

“I like you too, Jongin” she managed to say the words.

She’s afraid she did something stupid by telling what she felt over him but contrary to hear own fear, it did feel good. It was like she’s releasing the burden she’s been carrying over her life and now that she told him, it felt like she’s free. She smiled awkwardly at him and he just looked back at her with an unreadable expression.

Slowly, Jongin let out a relieved smile; it seemed that Soojung was not the only one who felt good about her confession. She used to like him, when he didn’t even aware with her feeling. When he started to like her, she’s the one who made the distance. But this time, it’s both of them who fell for each other.

Jongin grasped her hand, rubbed her skin with his thumb while he looked away from her, biting his own lips. He’s too happy; he finally could tell her things he had kept inside his heart. And for her to have the mutual feeling with him, things couldn’t go wrong. When he looked at her again, she’s smiling with teary eyes. 

Jongin freed his hand from her and took her shoulder, making her moved closer to him for Jongin to hug. Her head rested on his shoulder, hands on his chest as she felt how hard his heart beating. Jongin placed his cheek to the side of her head, giving the top of her head a soft peck.

“I’m sorry it took me so long to go for you” he whispered to her ear.

She smiled as she heard his words. It’s indeed taken such a long time for both of them to be here, but the years of waiting were just worth.  

“It’s ok, Jongin. We’re here now…” she mumbled to his shirt, moving her hands from his chest to his waist and deepened their hug.

She remembered how lost she was in the memories of him. She used to hold on tight of those things, even though she’s the one who wanted him to be out from her life. She let him go, she let a hole built in her heart and not fixing it from time to time, just to drown more to the pain she felt. But then she realized that she could not be like this forever, there should be something to stop her feelings for him. And so she was started to cover the hole in her heart, making her days busy and occupied, just to forget him. And she did, she thought she did (although a mentioned of his name only could trigger any memories she had with him and by that, she should start all over again to forget him).

Meeting him again was not easy, she feared so many things but the curiosity won.

She got rid of her fear and let loose her heart. She finally got the answer she had been looking for the past years after he left her life. Her heart longing only for him no matter how many times it’s replaced by other guys; which was never worked by the way. There’s always something missing, something lacking. He’s like the final part that solved her long abandoned puzzle, and she’s gladly to welcome him.

It’s end now, her long awaiting answer.

 

When the rain stopped pouring, both of them walked and passed the boulevard. They took lazy steps as both walked hand in hand, fingers intertwined with each other. There hasn’t been any word exchanged between the two love birds as they enjoyed both company. The boulevard kept their memories and for them, this place is a treasure that they want to keep.

He lost count on how many times he looked at her in coincidence at the boulevard, when he’s had his class or when he’s riding his bike and she’s walking around with her heavy text book or talking with her classmates with such an enthusiasm. There, he found her looked so pretty and interesting, yet he didn’t realize that he’s charmed by her.

She loved the boulevard for it’s the place where everything started. It’s always like that, him waiting for her class or she waited for him to pick her up after he’s done with his schedule. The excitement, the nervous feeling she had whenever she’s about to meet him, she could never forget it. Even when she’s having her hand held by him, Soojung still felt like she couldn’t control how fast her heart beating, just because of the presence of Kim Jongin. But it wasn’t like she’s complaining though.

It’s funny, how they looked like two teenage lovers who just had their first love confession, despite the years filled with memories of them. Jongin felt that he looked so ridiculous, feeling all nervous and uncontrollably smiling at the thought of her even though Soojung was nowhere but at his side. He glanced at her face; she looked at the fallen leaves on the ground while her fingers softly rubbed the skin of his hand, which he loves.

Jongin kept watching her secretly, enjoying the sight that’s offered in front of him. He promised himself during the time he’s been away from her, he would never let Soojung hurt again. Jongin wants to be the one for her; the place she’s looking for when she’s happy, sad, angry, joy, depressed, anything, he wants her to just look for him and he’ll make sure that she will be fine.

He wants to start everything all over again; he wants to love her right.

Jongin suddenly pulled her hand hard, making her stood face to face with him as he pulled her closer. Soojung looked at him with a questioning glance. Jongin smiled at her and placed his right hand on her cheek, while his left hand still holding on her hand. He caressed her cheek softly while looked she looked at his eyes, trying to read him.

“What?” she asked him.

“What, what?”

“Aren’t you going to say something?” she looked at him with questioning eyes.

He let out a chuckle and let out a small laugh.

“I don’t think I like you, Jung” he replied, still caressing her cheek. Her eyebrows rose upon hearing his words.

“I’m madly in love with you” he said with a wide grin, making his eyes disappeared as he gained soft slap from her on his shoulder.

“Cheesy” she commented, rolling her eyes in annoyance but biting her lips hard, because she’s just freaking too happy to hear his words.

“Yes, but you love this cheesy guy”

And by that Jongin moved his face closer to her, angling her face so his lips could meet hers. It was kind of surprising for Soojung though, to feel his lips on her skins. For the first few seconds, she’s still on dazed as she felt it a little too dreamy. Her memory went back to the first time Jongin kissed her with force during her graduation. She didn’t feel anything back then, her heart was hurt and he pushed himself to her, making her feeling forced. Their first kiss left a bad impression for her.

But this time, it’s different.

She knew he’s pouring his feeling throughout the kiss. So when his tongue grazed over her lower lips, Soojung slowly closed her eyes and started to respond to his kiss. She pressed her lips slowly to his and she could feel him smiling over her response. Jongin caressed her cheeks again and decided to deepen the kiss by tilting his head. This time, Soojung could feel something moved inside her stomach, giving her a fluttering feeling especially when Jongin left her hand and circled her waist with it. Every time he kissed her with his plump lips, she felt a little lost and weakened. How she loved the giddy feeling he gave when he played with her lower lips and in the end parted her lips, giving her a beautiful open mouth kiss.

When they decided to break away, Jongin pulled his lips from her but gave her a short peck before he hugged her. Soojung automatically placed her hands around his waist as she kissed his neck before she rested her chin on his shoulder, enjoying his warmth. Around his arm, Soojung looked to the sky as she whispered her grateful to God, for giving her a chance to see him again, to be with him.

She knew they will not go to live happily forever. There’ll be argumentation or fights in the future, there’ll be new things she didn’t know about him and he might not satisfied with her also, which in turned showed them the kind of person they love actually. But she didn’t care about it, she wanted to experience it. She’s ready with the consequences.

They might not be the most lovable lover in the world, but at least they have their love for each other. She didn’t dare to think how long they would stay together, although she wished that she could be forever with him. But she knew she’d fight everything just to be with him. She’s irrevocably in love with him and all she hoped for is that Jongin felt the same way too.

Jongin himself could not ask for more. Soojung is wrapped in his arm and he didn’t intend to let go of her, he’d like to spend years just to be with her. It was enough for him to foolishly be away from her, he didn’t want it to ever happen again. And he promised that this time, he wouldn’t mess things up. It’s the start, for him and her, to be together at the very last.

Jongin tightened his hug on her; playfully squeezing her, making Soojung surprised and stepped on his feet. They realized the dumb movement and laughed together like it was the funniest things.

“That’s stupid” she commented, biting her lower lips as she held on her laughter.

“But I really want to hug you like that” he said, grinning widely. She smiled over him, pulling her head away from his shoulder and looked at his face.

“What?” it’s his turn to ask her as she kept looking at him in silence.

Soojung shrugged her shoulder and again, biting her lower lips in hesitation. “I don’t know… I’m afraid it’s all just a dream and I-“

Jongin pecked her lips softly, effectively stopped her words as he looked straight to her surprised eyes. “Does that feel like dream to you?”

Soojung shook her head, yet she smiled at him. That didn’t feel like dream, it was just as real as it should be.

“Stop thinking that you’re dreaming. I’m here” he said as he pulled Soojung into a hug again.

Soojung drown her head to the crook of his neck as she enjoyed his hug, smiling secretly to his shoulder, being swayed to the left and right. She should now accept the reality that her pathetic love story had just turned into a romantic one, where he confessed his love to her and she…

“Jongin” she called him.

“Hmm” he mumbled as he placed his lips over her hair.

“Happy birthday”

Jongin smiled and peck the crown of her head. “Thank you. You’re the best birthday gift ever” he said, grinning widely.

“Jongin” she called him again.

“Yes?”

“I love you”

“I love you, too”

And years ahead, it’s the words he spoiled her with. For every time he met her, or just waking up in the morning, or when she’s getting angry over her work or over him, that’s the words he would say to her. The words she always longing to hear from him in her desperation over her love for Jongin…

She letting him goes, but he ended up back to her.

Soojung was indeed made for Jongin.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

[1] See Chapter III for the scar they're talking about

 

Finale.

So this is the end of Jongin and Soojung journey in Memory Lane. Are you happy with the end result? I’m sorry if the end is a little bit too cheesy here, I’m a cheesy person though.

For this chapter, I put the things they always wanted to do together back when they’re still friends. I’m a little desperate over Jongin and Soojung here, since both already seemed to fall for each other but taking so long to confess it. But it’s fine; they took the right moment and savor it for the rest of their life…

Thank you for all the people who read, subscribed, and commented for this story. I really really REALLY appreciate all of your supports for this story. It’s my fuel to start writing and trying to deliver a better story every time I read those messages. I’m sorry if I sometimes updating it a little late or delaying the update since it’s taking me forever to write it or to just editing it. But I hope you’re happy with this result.

Trivia.

Jongin in this story is inspired by an existing people out there, called him K.

(I knew right, he’s just having the same initial with Jongin/Kai)

Have a good day everyone; see you in another story… (now that I remember, I have to focus back on Dark Paradise).  

xoxo

yuriyaa