I

Memory Lane

 

"Too Fast"

 

Student club.

Soojung has no idea on what she wanted to do when she first got brief on the student clubs. There were so many clubs that she could join, from sports to art, from lifestyle to science. There were too many for her to choose, so when she randomly looked around at the university fair with her friends from the same department and found that the photography club was kind of interesting, she didn’t hesitate to register herself to the club.

She read from the description of the club on the pamphlet that was distributed at the university fair venue. It stated that the club only works in weekend and in daily basis, they’re just doing a gathering on Wednesday to discuss about the photography technic or venue that will be visited on the weekend. The routine didn’t seem to bother her and that matched her schedule, so she thought that this club would fit her needs.

It was her fourth Wednesday after she joined the photography club and for the first time, Soojung came late. She didn’t know that there’ll be a brief from her studying group about their class project, so she thought that she’d just come to the club after the brief. She ran to the Southern Park, place where the club usually gathered around. As expected, the weekly brief already started when she arrived there. Noticing some familiar newbie faces, she walked to the group of freshmen and sat on the ground while they listened to the senior that’s giving explanation about the trip to Namsan Tower for upcoming weekend photography tour.

Soojung jotted down some important information regarding the trip and paid attention to the senior. As she looked around, she met eyes with one of the most talked about new freshmen in her batch, Oh Sehun. Soojung was kind of surprise to see him in this club, because judging from his handsome facial features, there’s no way Sehun would be the one behind the camera, he should be standing in front of the camera. And since she’s in the same faculty with him, she politely nodded at him, earning a nod back from Sehun. Soojung was about to go back to her note book when someone suddenly took a seat next to her.

It was a guy she also noticed on the first few meetings with the club. She also noticed that usually this guy sat next to Sehun, seemed like they’re pretty close since Sehun immediately looked at him and asked for a hi-five once he saw the guy. She was not familiar with most of the freshmen in the photography club yet, since they’re all still awkward and new, but she made friend with some of them already. Soojung looked back on her notes again, but not for too long as the guy next to her softly nudged her elbow with his.

For the first time, Soojung looked at him. He smiled to her before opening his mouth. “Did you notice the guy that was talking?” he pointed the speaker with his chin.

Soojung looked at the senior and turned her eyes to the guy on her side, nodded.

“He has such a pretty fingers. Man, I couldn’t even imagine how much time he needs to take care of his fingers” he said, slightly chuckling while held his laugh. Following his words, Soojung looked at the senior and realized that he truly has very perfect fingers. “See?” he said, showing his point.

Soojung nodded in agreement while she kept looking at the senior fingers. It’s indeed really pretty but somehow Soojung couldn’t understand why the guy next to her found it really cute, but his laugh was slightly contagious so she started to hold her laugh also but their acting seemed to be noticeable by the senior.

“….Meeting dismissed. You can all start to prepare for this upcoming tour and for the two of you on the back” the senior, Byun Baekhyun, looked fiercely at Soojung and the guy next to her, earning attention from the others. Soojung suddenly sitting straight and stopped talking, “Please help to bring back these cameras here to our club” he said, pointing at the camera on the park.

Soojung could only nod and helplessly walked to the tripod as soon as the rest of the participants left the park. The guy walked to her and quietly took off the camera from the tripod and placed it on the camera bag. They worked in silent, not because Soojung wanted to give him a silent treatment but because both of them suddenly had no idea on what to tell. Partially, it was his fault to ask her so she ended up talking to him, but then again, if she never responded to his words, then maybe she wouldn’t be punished like now.

“I’m sorry” the guy said, looking at Soojung.

“Pardon me?”

“I’m sorry for making you being punished like this. I should not ask you from the very start” he politely nodded.

“Well, if I didn’t respond to your words, then maybe I wouldn’t be here. But I responded yours, so I think we’re fair?” she replied, slinging the camera bag to her shoulder. “Should we take this now?” Soojung appointed to the tripod, making him nodded.

They walked to the photography club and after completely put the tripod and cameras to its place, Soojung and the guy walked out from there with a relief sigh and then they laughed again as they looked at each other.

“I wasn’t wrong when I said his fingers were pretty right?” he said again, smiling.

Soojung nodded. “Yeah, it’s true but it’d be better if we’re not talking about his fingers again later on”

“Yeah” he replied. The guy then gave his hand to Soojung with his left hand inside his jeans pocket.

“Kim Jongin. Civil Engineering”

“Jung Soojung. Business and Management”

The two shook their hands and as they walked together at the boulevard that evening, they knew that it was the start of their relationship. And they’re sure that it wouldn’t be the last time they’re seeing each other.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Quickly after their last meeting, Soojung and Jongin exchanged their phone number. And as expected, they’re started to talk through the text or the messenger. It wasn’t always a long text message they shared, sometimes a simple ‘hi’ or ‘what are you doing?’ would do, only to lead to another conversation. It seemed like both of them tried to get know each other better.

Soojung was actually felt happy to have Jongin as a new friend. Aside from friends in her faculty, Soojung realized that it’s important to have more friends outside their faculty. Networking is always great, she had been taught that by her seniors. So when a guy from Civil Engineering came on the frame, she felt excited. It wasn’t like a crush or something; she just felt that they had several things in common that made them connected.

“Are you sure you’re not in love with this guy?” Jiyoung said casually as they passed the basketball field, moving to their Introduction of Management class.

“What?” Soojung commented, playfully raised her eyebrows as she looked at her best friend.

“You’re obviously in love with him, Soojung” Jiyoung commented with a teasing tone.

“I’m not”

“You are. I have a proof that you’re in love with him” Jiyoung said, pouting at her. “You could not talk to me without mentioning his name once in every single conversation. Oh come on, how obvious would that be?”

“Well, I don’t know about it. I don’t even realize that I mentioned his name…”

“Duh, his name probably already tattooed on your mind that you’re unconsciously have his name automatically said by your lips”

“Jiyoung, you sounds creepy, you know?”

Ignoring Soojung’s words, Jiyoung continued shook her head. “You both too often hang out only the two of you. Isn’t it obvious that he likes you also?”   

Soojung rolled her eyes; it was getting out of control. She swung her arm around Jiyoung and pulled her closer. “As much as I love you, Jiyoung, it would be better for you to stop watching drama, ok? Your mind is going crazy, I can see that”

Jiyoung slapped her arms playfully and both of them laughed together as they’re heading to their class. Soojung put a mental note that she needs to reduce mentioning Jongin’s name in her daily conversation with Jiyoung. She hung out a lot with Jongin lately. It was merely a month since they knew each other after their first talk at the photography club gathering. Since then, they haven’t stopped talking, not even for a day. But Soojung refused to say that it’s a sign of love, that’s nonsense.

She had boyfriend previously, she experienced first love already, and none of the symptoms of both appeared in her current relationship with Jongin. She likes his company and he likes it too, nothing more. Couldn’t she and he becoming a friend with their mutual feeling like that? Soojung refused to have more thought on their current relationship.

The Introduction of Management class was fun and she found that she kind of liking the subject. Soojung planned to have straight As on all of her classes in the first semester and she prepared hard for the target. But a little sweet distraction should be okay right? Soojung looked at her phone and found Jongin texted her, asking if she’s free after her class. With a promise to meet after the lecture, Soojung put her phone back to her bag and paid attention back to the class with a smile spread on her pretty face, things that Jiyoung noticed as she smiled to herself also. Her best friend was obviously in love.

Soojung already planned to go out from the class as soon as possible, as she knew Jongin already waited her at the boulevard, not too far from her class. But then the lecturer assistant came inside the class, informing a makeup class for the Business Model class since their professor was out of the country until the next two weeks. She didn’t know why but Soojung felt so anxious, she really wished the gathering ended as soon as possible, even though she knew that Jongin confirmed to her already that he’ll be waiting for her.

Once the gathering dismissed, Soojung bid a goodbye to Jiyoung who’s still talking with their friends. It’s their last class already for that day, so she had nothing else to do besides seeing Jongin. Well, seeing Jongin was never last short though, she mostly ended up talking with him for hours. It sometimes amazed her on how they could talk about the latest TV series to how the nervous system works. Jongin was a nice person to talk to, she thought.   

Arriving at the boulevard, Soojung spotted Jongin. Sporting his navy blue jeans and dark blue sweater accompanied with his classic Converse, Jongin waved at her lazily as he leaned on the big tree there. He covered his dark brown hair with black hat, framing his face perfectly. She walked closer to him as he also left the three to meet her in the middle.

“Hey” he said to her, flashing his bright smile that he never missed to show her.

“Hey” she replied, tucked her hair with her right hand, smiling back at him. Soojung noticed on how he looked really great only with a sweater, jeans, and a hat. She secretly looked at her attire. It was not bad; she looked decent with her skinny jeans and white shirt that’s covering her pink tank top, paired with a white sneaker. Her bags slung over her shoulder as she carried the thick Business book and some paper from her lectures.

“Busy day?” he asked her as he took her book and the paper, brought it with him with one hand. Soojung was a little surprise by his action but as he motioned her to walk, she continued without giving any question towards him.

“Four lectures with assignments. But it was fun, so I have no problem with that…” she responded. “How about you?”

“Just two lectures and it were not as busy as yours. We’re just calculating on Math and Physic” he said, rolling his eyes while playfully smiling. Soojung chuckled upon his words.

“Up for some ice cream?” he asked her. She nodded in agreement and both heading to the ice cream store near the campus.

Again, she found Jongin being attractive and interesting with the way he talks. She never knew that he was that talkative and she found herself also capable to talk as much as him. Whatever it was, she knew that hanging out with him was never wrong.  She didn’t care if it’s too early for her to believe in someone she barely knows, but she knew Jongin wouldn’t disappoint her.

Maybe what Jiyoung said was true; that Soojung actually has him on her mind, maybe she fell for him, and maybe Jongin also fell for her. Because when they’re about to cross the road and he automatically took her hand with his, Soojung could feel some electricity shot around her body once their skins touched.

And her heart beat faster by that.

Whether it was too fast or not for her, she just realized that she had a crush on the guy next to her who kept holding her hand even though they already cross the road.

This is crazy. But Soojung didn’t care.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hello guys!

I posted the foreword last night and I'm surprised with the amount of subscribers who followed this story already. Thank you! This encourage me more to finish this asap. This won't be a long story, it'd be chapters but in a short.

I really hope you could enjoy reading the story. And Kaistal seemed to be perfect for this kind of story..

Ok, brb writing the next chapter. See you soon! <3 

Oh for those who asked for my twitter account, please visit @yuriiyaa :)

Happy reading guys!

 

xoxo,

yuriyaa