Kiss

Humanoid

Chapter thirteen: Kiss

The beach was exactly how Kibum remembered it. Many years had passed since the days he had been to the sea for the last time, when he had been but a little kid running around and laughing at everything like the silly boy he knew he had been back then.

He was almost an adult now but his amazement as his feet sank in the surprisingly warm sand or as he watched the beautiful waves go back and forth, drawing their strength from the core of the sea only to die on the shore, still held the sparkling joy of his sweet childhood.

Kibum had heard that sometimes, when the sky above the waters was dark and crying tears of rain, the sea looked melancholic, perfect for sad people who wanted to pour their hearts out to the infinity of the ocean as they were seated on the sand. Today though, the sky was blue, with light and tiny white clouds here and there, and there was no place for sorrow and grief, not when the sun was shining so bright.

It came as a relief to Kibum, who didn't want to think about Mir; not today, not tomorrow. It was his birthday the next day and he was glad that his parents had taken him in this beautiful place to distract him and get merrier thoughts. He had already cried too much because of his ex-boyfriend anyway, so now it was time to get over him and stop looking behind, no matter how precious the memories they had made together were.

Actually, Jonghyun had done a good job already in helping Kibum to heal his broken heart: the humanoid was a great support, he always seemed to know when the young man was feeling down and surprisingly, whatever Jonghyun decided to do in hopes to make him happier worked, even stupid things that weren't really funny... Kibum just couldn't help laughing, unable to resist Jonghyun's heart-warming efforts - but it was mostly his stupid expressions that did the trick.

He found it amazing that even after so many hardships, namely Jonghyun's humanity and the messy emotions and weird behaviour that had resulted from it, they were still close and had managed to stay friends, even though it hadn't been easy.

But now, years had passed and he strongly believed that the worst was behind them, that friends who overcame such troubles in their relationship could only have better days ahead. Wouldn't it be fair ?

Kibum wanted to believe in a bright future, he really did, yet there was that nagging thought in the back of his mind, a fear he knew was present but was unable to put a name on. He couldn't tell what the reason behind it was, why he was so scared that something bad would happen, but he just... felt it. Or maybe he was so used to his rocky relation with the humanoid that he was worrying uselessly, seeing problems where there was none, just so he wouldn't be surprised and hurt too much when the next issue would pop out of nowhere ?

After all, the past few months had been peaceful. One would have had his vigilance lulled, but not Kibum. The young man spent a lot of time watching Jonghyun - not that he had some sort of obsession with him, no, he just wanted to... Keep an eye on him to make sure that he was doing fine. Yes. So, he watched him quite a lot and he had not missed the way Jonghyun was looking at him from time to time, with so many emotions that flashed behind his dark eyes, too fast to be recognised, but there were telltale flickers in them that Kibum was sure meant something special... Yet he couldn't say what it was.

"Kibum ?"

The young man adverted his eyes from the blue waves in front of him when his father's voice reached his ear and he smiled as he turned around.

"I'm glad we are here." he said. "I couldn't have asked for a better gift, I feel... really happy here."

"Good." Chin Hae answered, literally beaming as his lips broke into a gentle smile, wrinkles crinkling the tender skin around his eyes - his father was slowly getting older. "Your mother and I were worried, you know ? I hope you will enjoy this weekend to the fullest."

Kibum nodded.

"I'm sorry... I'm better now though, you don't have to worry anymore. Jonghyun has been really helpful."

A strange grin appeared on his father's face and Kibum raised a brow in curiosity, but Chin Hae merely coughed and cleared his throat before casually asking:

"Jonghyun is a nice guy, isn't he ?"

"Yeah, of course..." Kibum trailed off, titling his head to the side while wondering why his father was suddenly asking such a question - wasn't it obvious that Jonghyun was adorable and nice and all sorts of good things ?

"Yes, yes, very nice and pretty handsome too, isn't he ?" his father added with a chuckle.

This time, Kibum furrowed his eyebrows, surprised: what was he talking about ? Most importantly, where was this conversation leading to ?

"Yeeeees... ?" he said slowly. "Why ?"

"Oh, nothing. I'm just saying that he has all the good qualities. Nice, good-looking, lovely, affectionate... He's definitely boyfriend material, don't you think ?"

Gaping, Kibum tried to process his father's words as well as why the hell is he talking about that now ? until an idea popped in his mind and had him turning wide, shocked eyes to Chin Hae.

"Are you saying that he might get a girlfriend soon ?!" he shouted before his hand rose to cover his mouth in shock, his other words coming in a muffled whisper. "But he can't... I mean, he's..."

"A girlfriend ?" Chin Hae slowly repeated as he cut his son off. "Seriously, Kibum, how blind are you ?"

The younger kept quiet, clueless and trying to understand what had gotten into his father.

"What ?" he squeaked unsurely.

Chin Hae gave him a pointed look before sighing very, very deeply, but he didn't add a word and turned around, beginning to walk away. Kibum could swear he heard him mumbling something about having a dumb son.

Kibum was definitely confused.

He stood still on the beach for a little while, until he caught sight of his favourite humanoid, walking toward him at a fast pace. Kibum grinned when Jonghyun arrived by his side and they both kept quiet, the silence eerily comfortable as their eyes gazed upon the blue waves, until Jonghyun spoke softly:

"Can we go back ?"

Kibum slowly turned his head toward him and frowned, noticing the anxiety that shone in his eyes.

"Go back ?" he asked, titling his head to the side in curiosity.

"I mean... To the hotel or... I don't know, can we just... Not stay here ? I don't really like seeing you so close to the water."

Kibum immediately grabbed Jonghyun's hand and took a few steps back along with him, then he asked:

"Better ?"

"A little... But I still don't like it. It reminds me of that day, when you were a kid, and you almost drowned. I... I couldn't feel anything back then but... Kibum, if the same was to happen today, I think that... I would be scared. Scared as hell."

Jonghyun slowly raised a hand and brushed his knuckles against the boy's cheek, smiling as Kibum's eyes widened: the younger was used to be close to the humanoid, used to physical contact, but this - this touch. More like a caress. It felt so... Foreign, intimate and fond, much more than in any other way Jonghyun had ever touched him before. And his smile... Kibum felt himself melting dangerously quickly, something that was unexpected and highly confusing.

"I don't want to lose you." Jonghyun added while bringing his hand down very slowly, as though with regret. "Never. So... Please, don't get near the water."

Kibum chuckled awkwardly, not really sure of what he had just felt seconds ago, that odd but pleasant feeling running through his veins.

"I won't." he answered with a tiny smile. "At least, not when you're not around. You saved me, the last time it happened. So I trust you to save me again if I ever need it."

Jonghyun slowly took Kibum's hand in his own, the younger man's warm fingers trapped in a slightly colder but no less gentle hand, and the humanoid pulled until the other gave in and walked by his side, leaving the - for now - peaceful sea behind.

"I hope you won't." Jonghyun whispered, staring right at his friend for a second as he subconsciously entwined their fingers. "I don't want anything to happen to you."

Kibum could only smile and did his best not to squirm under the intense and piercing eyes that had been set on him, a bit uncomfortable in front of that look that he didn't quite understand: there was something in the warm, brown eyes that told something else, something more than just friendly worry.

"Jonghyun..." he began softly. "Are you alright ?"

"Of course." he immediately answered. "Come on, I think your parents want to go to the city and do a bit of sightseeing this afternoon."

Then, he dropped Kibum's hand as if he had just realised that he'd been holding onto it, and he scuttled away.

All of a sudden and for an unknown reason, the young male's hand felt very cold.

 

***

 

The hotel they would be staying at for the weekend was located nearby the sea, so that there was no more than hundred meters or so that separated them from the first beads of sand of the shore. There was a city just a few miles away, where the Kim's spent their Saturday afternoon, alternating between lazy walks in one of the many parks scattered in the city, a tour of an old temple that had been built hundreds of years before and a cup of tea and a muffin in a dainty café.

Jonghyun didn't eat nor drink anything: although back, his appetite was never that good and he could do days without eating, which had worried his family at first but had soon be considered as an other Jjong-thing that they had to accept as normality.

Moreover, the humanoid was saving his appetite for the next day, as he knew that a cake would be prepared for Kibum: he wanted to celebrate his friend's birthday properly, which meant that he would definitely eat a slice of cake, even a very thin one.

His plan was ruined though, when Kibum shoved his extra muffin in the humanoid's mouth.

 

***

 

Maybe the rain and the grey sky they woke up to on the morning of Kibum's birthday should have been considered as a bad omen. Far from the previous day that had been sunny and warm, today the weather was not so compliant, yet the birthday boy managed to keep his smile in place and just shrugged it off as if it was no big deal, even though they all knew he had planned to spend his day on the beach, sunning himself.

In the end, perhaps it was better this way, he happened to think as he munched his cereals as enthusiastically as he could in the hotel dinning-room; after all, Jonghyun didn't seem very fond of the sea and he didn't want the humanoid to look grim and sour while watching him with a keen eye to make sure that he wouldn't magically disappear in the water. At least, it would be less of a worry for him.

Yet the most optimistic part of his brain was telling him that maybe there was still hope that the rain would stop soon enough so that he might still go to the beach in the afternoon.

What somewhat managed to lift his spirits - although a few drops of water definitely did not make him sad nor depressed, thank you very much - was the moment, shortly after the breakfast, when he was given his birthday gifts.

Although the weekend, the hotel and all the little extras such as the muffin from the previous day - as well as the wonderful jacket Kibum had picked in a store they had just happened to pass by - counted as a great gift enough, his parents had a little something more for him.

In front of Kibum's fascinated eyes, once ridden of the golden and red wrappings, appeared a thick photo album that he opened after a few seconds of contemplating the intricate designs of the cover, marvelling at the rare present that he just received. Photo galleries online were common, but hardcover albums like the one he had between his hands were just as rare and expensive as books, and he didn't even dare trying to wrap his mind around the price his parents had paid for this gift.

As he leafed through the album, he felt his eyes prickle with unexpected tears: every page was filled with pictures of him, from the days he was a baby to the current month of September. The very first one was a picture of him in his mother's arms at the maternity, his father looking proud as he held his wife tightly, adoring eyes gazing upon the two angels of his life; it went on and on through the years, until the last one that had apparently been taken the previous day in the morning. Kibum was sound asleep in the car, drooling on Jonghyun's shirt.

The young male hugged his parents tightly, whispering his thanks with a tremulous voice. A light tugging on his sleeve had him turning around and he came face to face with Jonghyun's wide puppy eyes, before he noticed the little packet the humanoid was holding out for him. He took it gingerly but quickly unwrapped it, too impatient to slow down; once he had opened his present, he stayed quiet for a second before a chuckle crossed his lips as he looked at the small figurine of a white rabbit in his hand, the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland that was always late.

"It's so cute..." he said with a smile.

"Really, you think so ?" Jonghyun asked with a grin. "I was afraid you might find it childish and lame... But I wanted to give it to you so..."

"No, no !" the younger exclaimed. "I love it, thank you Jonghyun !"

He couldn't help laughing at the way the humanoid looked down, embarrassed but clearly pleased by Kibum's reaction.

After that, since it was still raining, Chin Hae suggested that they went to the city and had a tour of a museum dedicated to the ancient life, where they would see devices that had been used by the people who had lived around hundred years prior, and be given explanations about topics such as electricity, which wasn't used anymore.

Kibum wasn't interested but told his parents to go without him if they wanted to visit the museum, he would not keep them from enjoying their stay here because of him. He was delighted when Jonghyun said that he would stay with him in the hotel, so that he would not be bored while his parents were away. Thus, it was with relief that Chin Hae and Na Yung drove to the city, appeased by the thought that Kibum wouldn't stay alone on his birthday.

Truth to be told, Jonghyun had considered going with them: this museum of ancient life was highly interesting, especially since there would probably be many references to his own past, to his humanity. Maybe he would have recovered some of his lost memories by looking at tools he might have used before, who knew ?

Yet, he didn't regret staying. He would never turn down the opportunity to spend more time alone with Kibum... After all, the past was just that, past, while Kibum was his future. He was more important than some reminiscences from a long forgotten past that would maybe, just maybe, awake memories of sorts.

However, he wasn't sure to like Kibum's plan for the afternoon.

"The swimming pool ?" he repeated with furrowed brows. "Bummie, I told you that I'm not very fond of the idea of you anywhere near the water."

A roll of eyes was all he got, then Kibum activated his please-pity-me skills:

"But, Jonghyuuuuuuun..." he whined. "It's my birthday ! I want to swim and it's raining outside, I can't go to the sea... This hotel has an indoor pool, we should use it while we can ! Please..."

Jutting his lower lip out and blinking rapidly with tearful eyes, Kibum was impossible to resist, although Jonghyun valiantly tried to:

"But..."

"Come on !" Kibum said, grabbing his hand. "A swimming pool is less dangerous than the sea ! Jonghyun, I'd be really happy if you agreed to it. You don't want to see me unhappy on my birthday, do you ?"

And with that, he had won.

A few minutes later, the both of them were clad with their swimming trunks - brand new ones for Jonghyun, who had never worn such clothes in his life - and Kibum happily walked out of the lift once they reached the right floor.

They were alone around the swimming pool, which Jonghyun was immensely grateful for: he was truly terrified that something might go wrong in surroundings as wild as water was, but less people meant less sources of troubles and it would make it easier for him to look after Kibum.

Of course the boy would swim perfectly well now, but old habits died hard and Jonghyun had spent most of this life worrying over him. That would not change so soon.

The younger male let out a sigh of contentment as he entered the water, turning towards the humanoid with eyes that were filled with hopes.

"Join me !" he said with a smile.

"Maybe in a few minutes ? Don't mind me, just enjoy." Jonghyun told him while sitting on a deck chair. "Just... Be careful, alright ?"

"Yeah, don't worry."

Kibum dived under the water and Jonghyun watched with narrowed eyes until the boy came back to the surface; he let out a relieved gasp at that and rubbed his temples. That boy would be the death of him.

For a few long minutes, Jonghyun simply watched him, relaxing a bit more by each passing second as nothing bad happened and he finally convinced himself that Kibum would not drown any time soon.

But then, his mind switched from Kibum's safety to Kibum's wet body under the water and... Well, maybe it was not a good idea at all to let himself get distracted like that.

The young man had a beautiful body, even Jonghyun could tell, in spite of his inexperience - after all, he had never seen anyone but himself . And it was hard not to let his eyes wander along the curves and the pale skin of Kibum's body, not when he was only a few meters away from him, clueless of the thoughts that crossed Jonghyun's brain as he swam peacefully.

Right now, Jonghyun couldn't advert his eyes from the silhouette underwater. Kibum was perfect, really. Long legs swiftly kicking, propelling, helped by the moves of toned arms. Beautiful hands, delicate fingers, pale shoulders, a smooth back and a round arse - although hidden by the wet and thus very tight swimming trunks - and there was nothing that didn't catch the eye.

As he watched the boy, Jonghyun felt a pleasant warmth run through him, tingling in his fingertips and stirring in the pit of his stomach, arousing him and making him squirm on his chair as his blood ran south.

Oh no.

He knew what it was, what was happening to him, although he had never experienced it before, but... No, no, no, that couldn't happen now, not when Kibum could look at him at any moment and see him like that, and hard, already panting just at the thought of what the boy could do to help him and... No ! Do not think anymore.

Jonghyun opened his eyes, that he had not realised where closed, and slowly breathed in and out, trying to calm down his raging hormones and his swollen . Quick, he had to think of something, something that would rid him of this problem, give him some sort of shock that would bring him back to his senses...

Water.

Of course, water ! Through his researches on the human body, Jonghyun had learnt about what an was but he had also read that a cold shower could help with it. Well, then... There was only one thing to do.

The humanoid abruptly stood up and all but ran towards the swimming pool, jumping right at the edge and diving headlong into it, splashing water all around. When he came back up to the surface, he shook his head like a wet dog and pushed his hair back with his hands, sighing in relief when he stated that although his problem was not totally fixed, his swimming trunks were not as tight as they were a few seconds prior.

Only then did he notice that Kibum was coughing next to him, nearly choking himself.

"Hey, are you alright ?" the humanoid asked in concern.

He wanted to, but he didn't dare coming any closer to the young man in fear that getting near the temptation that he was to him would worsen the situation.

Fortunately, Kibum calmed down enough to speak - scream, even:

"Alright ?!" he exclaimed, half-amused and half-annoyed. "Of course I am, but I thought you were supposed to watch over me, not to drown me !"

"Drown you ?" Jonghyun repeated with wide eyes.

"Yeah... Why did you jump like that so suddenly ? You nearly fell on me and then you splashed water all around... I think I drank most of it."

Jonghyun immediately forgot everything about his problem and swam to Kibum, grabbing his shoulders and shaking him a bit to coax the words out of him:

"But you are alright now, aren't you ? Tell me you're fine ! The water has chemicals in it ? Chlorine or something ? Is it bad for your body that you drank it ?"

Kibum couldn't help chuckling at such concern, but teasing Jonghyun a bit was never not entertaining so he rolled his eyes very dramatically and said:

"I am. But do that again and I will drown and die for sure."

"I won't !" the humanoid exclaimed.

He unconsciously came closer to the young man and ruffled his wet hair, trying very hard to ignore the renewed stirring in his lower abdomen.

"I... would never want to do anything to hurt you." he whispered, his hand now caressing Kibum's cheek. "I told you yesterday... I won't let anything happen to you."

The younger did feel the change in the atmosphere; just like the previous day, he could tell that Jonghyun was not speaking from a friendly point of view only but he was as confused as before. His eyes grew wide when the humanoid cupped his cheeks with both hands and leaned a bit, making his heart go crazy as it pounded against his ribcage and echoed in his whole body.

"J... Jonghyun ?" he squeaked when his friend inched closer and closer, until he could make out every single drop of water that decorated the humanoid's lashes.

Jonghyun didn't know what came over him in this very moment. Maybe it was the fear of ever losing Kibum, or the foreign desire that had burnt in his body just minutes ago, or maybe he could simply not resist any longer, not after years of longing and craving for a taste of the young boy.

Driven by his instincts, Jonghyun had never felt so human before, not as much as he did now, as he slowly placed his lips on top of Kibum's.

He closed his eyes when the younger gasped in surprise and he didn't allow himself to think about what it could mean, but only to act: he deepened the kiss, pressing his lips a bit harder against Kibum's mouth, tentatively nibbling on his lower lip and darting an hesitant tongue out to at it afterwards, until the boy opened his mouth as he sought some much needed oxygen. He did get a gulp of air, but it was soon collected by a pair of curious lips and stolen from him.

It was warm yet cold, wet from the water of the swimming pool, tasting a bit like chlorine but mostly like Kibum, sweet and heart-warming; it was all Jonghyun had ever wished for and if this was a dream, then he wished to never awake again.

His wish was not to be granted though, because it stopped all of a sudden and not pleasantly so: after seconds that tasted like heaven, Kibum pulled away abruptly and did the last thing Jonghyun expected from him.

Kibum slapped him.

 

 


... I'm sorry ? *runs away*

Hum, so, I hope you had a nice Christmas ! I wish you all a happy new year with a bit of advance since I'm not sure I'll be able to come much on AFF in the next few days (exams are coming, I need to study).

Also, don't hate me because of this chapter: this story may be a tragedy, I'm still not going to separate our boys before they even had something actually going on between them.

See you soon and thank you for reading !