This Is It...

Titanic: The Shining Example

As the lift descended Kai's lips trembled and tears flowed down his cheeks.

 

“Tao... Tao's dead,” he sobbed.

 

“Kai, I'm so sorry. This is all my fault,” I whispered.

 

“No Baekhyun... it isn't,” he replied, wiping his eyes. Before I could say anything, a rush of ice cold water washed over my feet. When the lift stopped, the water was waist high.

 

“Oh this is cold! What do we do? We can't just take the lift back up, what if my father is still up there?” I wondered.

 

“We have to find another way back up,” he said, taking my hand. We waded through the halls until we came to a stairwell. Of course... it had been blocked off.

 

“Damn it! We don't have time for this!” Kai kicked the gate, but it didn't help at all. We heard yelling not too far away and we moved as fast as we could in that direction. The water was rising fast; by now it was already up to my stomach. We found another staircase; this one was crowded with people trying to get past the gate. Two staff members stood on the other side.

 

“Everyone calm down! You weren't out of your rooms in time, therefore you must wait here until the lifeboats are filled. Once that is done, we will see if there's room for you!” said one of the staff. Kai shoved his way through the crowd.

 

“Are you serious!? At least let us go up so we can have a chance!” he screamed. I noticed a wooden bench attached to the wall.

 

“Kai, give me a hand, I have an idea,” I said. He raised a confused eyebrow as I walked over to the bench and pulled on it. He finally took the hint and helped me pull. Eventually the bench broke from the wall. Everyone moved aside as Kai and I rammed the bench into the gate repeatedly until it broke through. We all rushed through and made our way back to the upper deck.

 

The fresh air was nearly as cold as the water below.

 

“Kai, Baekhyun!” Chanyeol yelled as he and Luhan approached us.

 

“Thank God you two are alright,” Luhan said.

 

“Where's Sehun?” Kai asked.

 

“He won't leave Tao's side,” Chanyeol replied.

 

“We have to go find him,” Kai said. Without thinking he rushed toward the back of the ship.

 

“Wait here you guys,” I said as I followed Kai. As soon as we arrived, we saw Sehun, holding Tao's lifeless body in his arms and sobbing uncontrollably. Kai buried his face in his hands as I kneeled next to Sehun.

 

“Sehun... I'm so sorry this happened. But we have to go. I'm sure the entire bow is flooded by now. It feels like the ship is going down nose first. We need to make some kind of plan if we're going to escape,” I said softly.

 

“Do what you want... I'm not leaving him,” Sehun mumbled.

 

“But...”

 

“GO!” he screamed. My heart sank. There was a strange shift of gravity. This was it... we were starting to go under. Kai patted Sehun on the back.

 

“I'm going to miss you Sehun, we've been best friends since childhood... this is killing me inside,” Kai said, hugging Sehun.

 

“It's a been a pleasure Kai. I love you hyung,” Sehun replied.

 

“I love you too,” Kai said as we slowly moved away from Sehun, who disappeared into the crowd.

 

“What should we do now?” I asked, trying to get his mind off of Sehun.

 

“Well first we should try to find a lifeboat. There has to be at least one that we can get into,” he said. I could tell he was choking back tears. As we went back toward the middle of the ship, we noticed a huge rush of people heading in our direction, away from the bow. I looked up and saw one of the enormous smoke stacks break off and crash into the ocean.

 

“This is it... there's no time!” I shrieked.

 

“We have to get to the back of the ship as quickly as possible,” Kai said, sounding unnaturally calm.

 

“Why, we just came from there!?” I replied, incredibly panicked.

 

“Do you trust me?” he asked, taking my hand.

 

“I... I do,” I said.

 

“Prove it,” he said as he pulled me through the crowd.