Get on Board, Like it or Not

Titanic: The Shining Example

April 10th 1912

 

I remember it as if it were yesterday. The salty air, the huge crowd. There was so much excitement in the air. I was known as Byun Baekhyun back then, and I was totally alone. Well metaphorically speaking. I had just stepped out of the car and my parents were right behind me, telling the servants which room to deliver our luggage to. Since I was so short, I couldn't even see the ship because of all the people. Not like it mattered, I was dreading getting on that thing anyway. It may have been “the ship of dreams” to everyone else, but to me it was like a slave ship. I sighed as my dad put his hand on my shoulder.

 

“Ready to board son? Ms. Taeyeon and her family are most likely already on board,” he asked with a smile. Taeyeon... My fiancee. She was a perfectly nice girl, she just... wasn't my type if you know what I mean. There was no way I could tell my parents. If they found out that I was gay, there's no telling how they would've reacted. My parents and I pushed our way through the crowd and that's when I saw it...

 

It was enormous! I couldn't even see the end of it! The smoke stacks were taller than most buildings! My jaw dropped from the sheer beauty of the ship. I quickly shook off my dumbfounded expression.

 

“What do you think darling?” my mother asked.

 

“It's not that impressive,” I lied, walking onto the ship. The inside was even more astounding than the outside. The gold trimmed paint, the winding staircases, ballrooms, pools, dining halls, and even bowling alleys. There was nothing that this ship didn't have. But somehow, even amongst all this luxury... I still felt lonely and helpless. I heard familiar voices and turned my head. There she was. Her long blue dress draped the floor and priceless jewels adorned her neck. Her hair sat in a neat bun on her head. She smiled when she saw me. It that she was so beautiful, but I wasn't attracted to her.

 

“Hello love,” she said, kissing my cheek. I kissed her hand.

 

“How are you Taeyeon?” I replied.

 

“I'm just happy to be on this amazing ship,” she said with a smile. Her cousin, Jessica kept giving me harsh stares. Although she didn't know why, she could tell that I wasn't attracted to Taeyeon. My parents made small talk with Taeyeon's parents and then I saw him...

 

He was tall, with red hair and a nice suit, and I hadn't seen him in ages.

 

“Chanyeol!” I practically screeched as I rushed toward him. He smiled from ear to ear as I hugged him. We had been best friends since childhood but his parents had gone to Paris about a year ago and I hadn't seen him since.

 

“How have you been!? It's been so long,” he said.

 

“I've been... fine. How was Paris?”

 

“It was incredible, you simply have to go. Have you seen Luhan yet?” he asked

“No! Luhan's on this ship too?” I couldn't believe it, both of my childhood friends were here! That definitely raised my spirits a bit. I turned around to check on Taeyeon who was busy talking to Jessica about one of the paintings on the wall. That was my cue to go with Chanyeol to find Luhan.

 

As soon as we stepped out onto the upper deck, some guy bumped right into me. I turned to yell at him but I stopped. He was flawless. I saw his mouth move, but I couldn't hear a word.

 

“Wha- what did you say?” I stammered.

 

“I said, excuse me. Are you alright?” he said. I simply nodded. Based on his clothing, he couldn't have been First Class. He smiled before disappearing through a doorway.

 

“You okay Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“Uh yeah, let's go find Luhan,” I replied.