The Descent

Titanic: The Shining Example

I followed Kai down the narrow hallway to his room. There were small amounts of water on the floor already. He opened the door and flipped on the light, waking Tao and Sehun.

 

“Seriously? Now the pipes are busted,” Sehun said in frustration.

 

“It's not the pipes Sehun, the Titanic is sinking. We have to go, now!” Kai urged him. A couple of staff members went down the hall shouting for people to put their life vests on and await further instructions.

 

“Are you serious? But I thought this ship was unsinkable!” Tao said, slipping on his life vest. The four of us quickly went back to the upper deck. Fireworks were being shot off. Most people thought that it was a show... but we knew that they were trying to signal for help.

 

“Baekhyun, there you are!” Chanyeol said as he approached me.

 

“Where's Taeyeon, is she alright?” I asked.

 

“She's fine, she just got in boat number four with Jessica and they're currently waiting to be lowered,” he replied.

 

“Thank god,” I sighed in relief.

 

“Calm down, it's just a drill,” Chanyeol said.

 

“I'm afraid it isn't. The ship is sinking Chanyeol,” I whispered so no one else would hear.

 

“Are you sure?” he asked.

 

“Very sure, there is already water on E deck,” I said. He gasped in horror.

 

“Luhan!”

 

“What about Luhan?”

 

“He's still in his room! He sleeps like a rock and his parents didn't bother waking him since they thought it was a drill,” he explained.

 

“Oh ! Where are they?” Kai asked.

 

“They're already in a lifeboat,” Chanyeol said.

 

“Come on, we have to go get him,” I said. Chanyeol and I turned to leave, but Kai stopped us.

 

“I'm going too,” he offered.

 

“Kai, just stay here with Sehun and Tao,” I said.

 

“No... in this together remember,” he replied.

 

 

“I guess that means we have to go too. We all need to stick together right now. We're all men with no wives so we wont be getting on any boats for a while anyway,” Tao chimed in. I sighed in defeat as the five of us went off to find Luhan. Things were still very calm in the first class deck. As we turned a corner, a large muscular staff member pushed us back.

 

“I'll have to ask all of you to return to the upper deck,” he insisted. We tried to explain the situation to him, but soon we were back out in the cold on the crowded deck.

 

“Well that was a failure,” Sehun said, rubbing his forehead in frustration.

 

“What are we going to do? We can't just leave him in his room. By the time he wakes up, we'll be halfway underwater,” I started panicking again. Kai rubbed my shoulder. Chanyeol noticed that he was wearing the bracelet.

 

“Good work,” he whispered.

 

“I have an idea!” Tao interrupted.

 

“What?” I asked.

 

“Maybe we can convince the staff to do another room check to make sure everyone's here. If they do, they'll surely find him and wake him,” he suggested. We waved for a staff member to come and waited impatiently for them to wade through the crowd.

 

“Good evening gentlemen, would you like some wine?” he asked.

 

“No! Look, you guys have to do another room check, our friend is still asleep in his room!” Chanyeol requested.

 

“I assure you, everyone was awakened and brought up here, no one is left in their room, especially not in first class,” he said, as he disappeared into the crowd.

 

“This is hopeless!” I screamed.

 

“Calm down. I have another plan. I didn't want it to come to this but... follow me,” Tao said, going back below. We followed him and were stopped by the same staff member.

 

“I thought I just told you all to return to the upper deck!” he ordered. Tao delivered a quick spinning roundhouse kick, knocking him out cold.

 

“When did you learn how to do that!?” Kai shrieked.

 

“Not important, come on!”

 

Chanyeol led us to Luhan's room and kicked the door open. There was Luhan, fast asleep in his bed. We heard something rather disturbing.,, A loud female scream.

 

“That sounded like it came from the upper deck,” Kai said.

 

“We have to hurry,” I said. Chanyeol shook Luhan for about ten minutes and he still didn't wake up.

 

“Screw this!” he said, picking him up and carrying him out of the room. We went back toward the exit and saw the worst thing possible. The gates had been pulled to stop people from returning to the lower decks... only the staff had keys.

 

“Damn it, you've got to be kidding! It wont be long before the water reaches this floor!” Sehun yelled. We all started to scream for help which finally woke Luhan.

 

“What the hell is going on?” he asked as Chanyeol put him down.

 

“We're sinking,” I said as a staff member finally came and opened the gate. We rushed up to the upper deck where panic was beginning to grow. People had finally realized that this was no drill and that the Titanic was going down. Passengers were fighting to get to the lifeboats, and the staff had implemented a strict women and children only policy. The ground was slightly uneven since the bow had already started to dip into the water, raising the back of the ship slowly.

 

“This isn't looking good,” Kai said, looking me in the eyes.

 

“I have a plan that's just crazy enough to work... let's go to the back of the ship,” Luhan said. None of us had any better ideas, so we followed him. When we got there, the situation was pretty much the same as it was on the bow. People screaming and fighting for a spot on the boat.

 

“Byun Baekhyun!”

 

I turned to see my father walking toward me. He looked beyond pissed.

 

“What do you want?” I asked.

 

“The bracelet... it's far too expensive to go down with this ship." He pulled a silver pistol from his jacket. “I'll do whatever is necessary to get it back,”

 

“You would pull a gun on your own son?” I asked, tears forming in my eyes. Kai, stepped in front of me.

 

“You're no son of mine,” my father's eyes shifted to the bracelet... now on Kai's hand.

 

“Just calm down Mr. Byun,” Kai tried to reason with him.

 

“You son of a ... you have no right wearing that!” My father screamed. Tao pushed Kai aside, as he fired the gun. Time seemed to slow down as Tao collapsed in a pool of crimson blood. Sehun kneeled beside him.

 

“YOU INSANE BASTARD!” He screamed. Kai pushed my father and grabbed my arm. We ran toward the maintenance lift; it was the only way to reach the lower decks that hadn't been sealed. The only way to escape my father was to go into the heart of a sinking ship. He followed behind us, blindly shooting... luckily missing. We got on the lift and Kai pulled the lever, sending us down.

 

“I hope you two enjoy your time together!” my father yelled as we made the descent.