I'll Never Let Go

Titanic: The Shining Example

We rushed to the back of the ship as quickly as we possibly could. People were trampling each other, jumping overboard and screaming in pure terror. Kai and I held on to the railing as the back of the ship slowly started to lift into the air.

 

“God almighty...” I whispered through trembling lips as we stared down into the black waves. There was a loud crunch of metal that overpowered the screams. The entire front half of the ship had disappeared into the ocean. The ship fell back down into the water and the lights finally went out.

 

“What's happening... is it over?” Kai wondered. Soon there was another shift of gravity. We started going up again.

 

“Come on Baekhyun!” Kai urged as we climbed over the rail. The back of the ship tilted further and futher and soon we were completely vertical. I gripped the rail as tightly as I could. My stomach turned as we started sinking into the waves slowly. I looked around for a quick moment, and had an amazing realization.

 

“Kai... this is where we first met,” I said as tears filled my eyes.

 

“I love you Baekhyun,” he replied, kissing my forehead. I looked into his eyes. The terror was evident, but there was something that was strangely comforting.

 

“Remember the promise you made me?” I asked.

 

“Of course,” he replied with a bittersweet smile.

 

“Well I need to be reminded now more than ever,” I said, my voice trembling. Screams of terror echoed around us.

 

“Byun Baekhyun, I promise you... no matter what happens, no matter what obstacles we face... I will never let go,” he said in the sweetest, sincerest voice I'd ever heard. We looked down into the water as the ship went down. People were letting go of the railing, falling into the sea. Kai grabbed my hand and held on as tightly as possible. Moments later we were pulled beneath the ice cold waves.

 

I couldn't see anything. I couldn't hear anything. I could only feel. The water was so cold, it felt like knives were stabbing me all over my body. I was being pulled down, even though I had let go of the ship. My lungs burned and I kicked my legs furiously until I finally got to the surface. As my head broke the water, I heard ear piercing screams. There was only starlight to clear the darkness.

 

“KAI, KAI WHERE ARE YOU!” I screamed. I silently prayed that he survived.

 

“BAEKHYUN! OVER HERE!” I heard him yell. I saw him, waving his arms. I swam through the cluster of people, who were all floating there, screaming for someone to help us. Kai grabbed me and hugged me tight.

 

“We need to find something to float on. We wont last long in this water,” He said was we swam a little farther off. There was a door, floating on the surface. It looked like the closet door from a first class cabin.

 

“Here, get on this,” he said as he helped me climb onto the door. He tried to climb up after me, but the door couldn't hold both of us. There was a look of sadness in his eyes as he crawled back into the water.

 

The next twenty minutes were awful. The screams slowly became fainter and fainter, as the poor souls in the water died off, one by one. Kai's breaths were shallow.

 

“Kai... are you okay?” I asked, looking into his eyes. There was ice in his hair, and his lips were turning blue.

 

“I'm doing just fine Baekhyun... and when this is all over, I intend to write a strongly worded letter to those responsible,” he said. Even in that terrible moment, he was still making me smile. I glanced at his hand, and noticed that he was still wearing the bracelet. He noticed that I was staring. He slowly slipped it off his wrist and stuffed it into my shirt pocket.

 

“Kai...”

 

“Keep it Baekhyun. I want you to have it. I want you to make a promise to me. I want you to go on, and live a happy life. Find someone you love. Have a bunch of babies, and be happy. You're going to die an old man, warm in your bed. Promise me that you won't let this break you. Promise me that you will take everyday God gives you from now on, and make it count,” Kai stammered. Tears flowed from my eyes.

 

“Kai, don't do that, the lifeboats will come back for us,”

 

“Promise me now Baekhyun! And never let go of that promise!” Kai demanded.

 

“I promise Kim Jongin... I promise,” My head was swirling and my heart was racing. The adrenaline was wearing off and moments later, I passed out.

 

Two Hours Later

 

I was finally awakened by the sound of someone yelling nearby.

 

“Is there anyone alive out there! Hello!”

 

I looked out in the distance and saw a lifeboat.

 

“Kai, the boats are back! Kai? Kai...” I shook him furiously. His skin was a pale blue, and I couldn't hear his breathing anymore.

 

“Kai... KAI!” I tried my best to scream, but the cold had seized my vocal cords. My heart broke in two as I settled with the grim realization that he was gone. Tears coated my cheeks as I kissed his forehead.

 

“I'll never let go Kai... I'll never let go,” I said. A small wave shook the door, and Kai's body released from it, sinking down into the depths.

 

“Hello!” Called the voice from the lifeboat. I knew that this was my only chance. I climbed off the door and swam toward the boat, calling for help. Eventually they saw me, and pulled me aboard. They wrapped me in blankets as soon I was in.

 

“Baekhyun? Is that you?” said a familiar voice. I turned my head. It was Taeyeon.

 

“Yes,” I whispered. She held me closely as we sat in the boat, waiting to be rescued. Finally after hours had passed, there was a shining light in the darkness... our savior, the Carpathia. Within the hour, all of the survivors had been brought aboard the ship.

 

 

April 15th 1912

 

The sun had finally risen and a light misty rain coated the deck. There were women everywhere; staring out to sea, waiting for their husbands that would never come. I felt my shirt pocket. The bracelet was gone. It must've come out of my pocket when I was swimming for the boat. I stood by the railing, staring off into the distance. Taeyeon patted my back.

 

“How are you feeling?” she asked. I chuckled.

 

“It's surreal, even now. It feels like a dream that I can't wake up from,” I replied.

 

“I'm sorry about Kai...” She mumbled.

 

“Taeyeon... How would you like to be my wife?” I asked. hung open.

 

“But... I thought...”

 

“You said you loved me right?”

 

“Of course,”

 

“Then be my wife. That way we both can be happy,”

 

“Both of us? But Kai is...”

 

“I got to know true love Taeyeon, that's more than most people can say. My heart will always belong to him... but this way, I can repay you for all the support you've given me,” she simply smiled.

 

“I'll gladly marry you Baekhyun,” she said, kissing me on the cheek.

 

“Byun Baekhyun? Is that you?” I turned around and saw Chanyeol and Luhan running toward us. Chanyeol picked me up and spun me around.

 

“What a relief!” Luhan shouted. I was overjoyed to see them.

 

“How did you guys escape?” I wondered.

 

“Well, near the end they were grabbing anyone who was close by, just so they could fill the lifeboats,” Chanyeol said, his excitement slightly fading. A staff member approached us.

 

“May I take your names?” he asked.

 

“Kim Taeyeon,”

 

“Lu Han,”

 

“Park Chanyeol,”

 

“By-... Kim Baekhyun,” I said softly. He nodded as he scribbled down our names and walked off.

 

“Kim Baekhyun?” Chanyeol raised a curious eyebrow.

 

“Yes sir,” I said, as I looked out into the horizon.