The Dinner Party

Titanic: The Shining Example

April 11th 1912

 

 

I stood on the upper deck as the wind ruffled my hair. It had been a few hours since we made our final stop in Ireland before heading for New York. I decided to go find Kai and make sure he was still coming to dinner. The surroundings on the third class deck were quite different. It was loud, crowded and rather smelly. I looked around and saw him talking to someone. My hands were shaking for some reason, so I shoved them in my pockets and walked over to him. He smiled when he saw me.

 

“Hi Baekhyun. What brings you here?” he asked.

 

“I was looking for you actually... sorry to interrupt,” I smiled at the raven haired boy that Kai was talking to. He looked really intimidating, but he quickly smiled.

 

“Oh it's no interruption. My name's Tao, it's nice to meet the famous Baekhyun that Kai hasn't shut up about since last night,” he replied with a light British accent. I glanced at Kai who immediately blushed and looked down at the floor. We heard screaming behind us.

 

“Hey, what the hell happened to my wedding ring? Which one of you limey bastards stole it!” screamed an old Irish man. A tall boy with milk chocolate brown hair walked up to us and giggled.

 

“What's funny Sehun?” Kai asked. The boy smiled and pulled a diamond ring from his pocket.

 

“This will definitely get us some dinner once we get to New York,” he said. Tao shook his head and Kai laughed.

 

“So you're thieves? That's how you choose to make your living?” I said. I couldn't believe it. Then again, with a group this attractive, there had to be a downside.

 

“Actually I'm an artist, Tao is a singer, and Sehun is a talented violinist. We just haven't been awarded the opportunity to show our skills,” Kai explained.

 

“I used to be just like you, young and rich, but then my parents died and left everything to my stepbrother, Kris. Now I'm broke,” Sehun glared at me.

 

“I- I'm sorry, I didn't realize,” I stammered.

 

“It's alright mate, we're all a little guilty of judging books by their covers,” Tao patted my shoulder. The dinner bell echoed in the distance. The saying “saved by the bell” had never been more accurate.

 

“Eat enough rich people food for the rest of us,” Sehun said with a hint of bitterness as he walked off. Tao followed him and Kai started to walk with me toward the dining hall.

 

“Wait... were you planning on wearing that?” I asked.

 

“Uh yeah, why?” he raised an eyebrow.

 

“Well it's already clear that you're not a first class passenger. There's no need to give them more reasons to look down on you... I have an idea, follow me,” I said, taking his hand and leading him to Chanyeol's room. I knocked on the door and waited. Chanyeol opened it and looked extremely confused. He was only half dressed; I must've interrupted him getting ready for dinner. I tried not to stare at his abs, so I looked past him and stared at something on the wall.

 

“What's going on Baekhyun?” he wondered.

 

“I need a favor... Kai needs a suit to wear to dinner,” I said, still not looking at him.

 

“Oh okay, no problem. Come on in Kai,” he said.

 

“Thanks so much,” Kai replied.

 

“I'll meet you guys in the dining hall,” I quickly walked back to my room and got dressed.

 

 

30 minutes later

 

I stood at the table, dressed in my white suit with a blue bow tie. Taeyeon walked in, wearing a beautiful red dress and bright red lipstick. Her hair was draped over her shoulders. Jessica was right behind her in a tight black dress. I kissed Taeyeon's cheek and pulled her chair out for her.

 

“Thank you sweetheart,” she said. I smiled and pulled a small box from my jacket pocket.

 

“This is for you... It's meant for the one I truly love,” I said. My heart sank a little as she opened the box. She gasped and Jessica's jaw dropped. She took the sun bracelet from the box and put it on.

 

“Baekhyun... It's beautiful,” a tear came to her eye and I wiped it away. I sat down next to her as she and Jessica examined the bracelet. I glanced across the room and my heart skipped a beat. Kai walked in, looking absolutely stunning in one of Chanyeol's french designer suits. His jet black hair was slicked back and he walked the the confidence of a fashion model.

 

“Wow look at you, you could almost pass for a gentlemen,” Jessica said rolling her eyes.

 

“Really, I could say the same to you,” Kai fired back, earning a giggle from Taeyeon and an outright laugh from Chanyeol. He sat down across from me and eventually Luhan and his parents joined us.

 

“So, Kai is it? Seeing as you aren't first class, how is it that you have means to travel aboard this great ship?” my mother asked. I shot her a dirty look and Jessica chuckled.

 

“Well, my friends and I actually won our tickets in a lucky hand of Poker,” he replied.

 

“Poker? Well how are you planning to make a living? Where will you stay?” Luhan asked.

 

“Well as of right now my address is the RMS Titanic, after that, I'll go wherever the wind takes me I guess. The thing about life is, you never know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. Just a few days ago, I was sleeping under a bridge and now I'm in the first class dining hall of the Titanic, having dinner with you fine people. Since I never know where I'm gonna end up tomorrow, I have to make today count,” Kai said.

 

“Well said Kai,” Taeyeon replied with a smile. I raised my glass.

 

“To making it count,” I said. Everyone followed suit.

 

“To making it count!” they responded. A few hours passed and soon dinner was over. Jessica was drunk off wine and Luhan offered to walk her and Taeyeon back to their rooms.

 

“I'll walk you back to your room if you'd like,” I said to Kai.

 

“That would be great. Chanyeol, I'll return your suit tomorrow,” he whispered.

 

“Keep it,” Chanyeol said with a wink as he grabbed the bottle of wine to take with him to his room.

 

We walked and made small talk, and we'd occasionally look up at the stars.

 

“I really had a good time at dinner. It's been a while since I've said that,” I said

 

“I'm glad you enjoyed yourself,” Kai replied as we came to the third class deck. I smiled at him, but he just stared into my eyes without saying a word.

 

“Is everything-” before I could finish my sentence, he pulled me in... and kissed me. My entire body got warm and my fingertips felt like they were on fire. He stepped back and rubbed the back of his head.

 

“I'm sorry... I didn't....”

 

“It's fine... uh... I'll see you tomorrow?” I said sheepishly.

 

“Yeah,” he said with a quick smile before disappearing through a doorway. I wasn't sure if it was the wine or what... but either way, it was amazing.