A New Love Rises, Like the Sun

Titanic: The Shining Example

April 13th 1912

 

 

The sunlight stung my eyes as I stepped out into the sun room of our suite. I yawned and sat on one of the couches. An entire day had passed since our kiss and I had spent it avoiding Kai. I wasn't sure what to say to him... I kept replaying the kiss in my mind, over and over. I looked up as I heard someone come in. It was Jessica.

 

“Can I help you?” I sleepily asked.

 

“I know about you,” she said harshly.

 

“What are you talking about?” I wondered.

 

“I know about your little sick secret. I saw the way you kept looking at that third class trash the other night. The way you stole glances, and smiled every time he opened his mouth. You've never looked at Taeyeon that way,” she hissed.

 

“Jessica, I can assure you-”

 

“Listen to me Byun Baekhyun. You may be gay, and you may have 'feelings' for Kai... but I will not let you make a fool of Taeyeon. She is your fiancee and you will marry her, or else I will expose your disgusting affair,” she cut me off, and stormed out of the room. A tear fell from my eye. This was the worst thing that could possibly happen!

 

I quickly took a bath and put on some clothes. I was supposed to be having breakfast with Chanyeol and Luhan this morning and I'd almost forgotten. I walked down to the dining hall and found them sitting by the window, laughing and talking.

 

“Hi guys,” I said softly as I took my seat.

 

“Look who finally decided to show up,” Luhan said with a smile. I smiled weakly.

 

“Is everything okay? You seem a little down,” Chanyeol sounded worried. Inside I was screaming that I wasn't okay; I needed someone to hear.

 

“I'm fine... just a little tired. I haven't slept much recently” I replied.

 

“Can't blame you... after a kiss like that, I wouldn't have slept much either,” Chanyeol said with a smile. My jaw dropped and my heart skipped a beat.

 

“You... you saw it?” I managed to choke out.

 

“Yeah, I was looking for Kai so I could ask him if he wanted to tour the ship with us the next morning ... that's when I saw the big kiss,”

 

“Why didn't you say anything?” I asked.

 

“Baekhyun... I've known you were gay since we were little. You at hiding it. The only reason your parents haven't caught on is because they don't know you very well as it is,” he said.

 

“He's right. It was pretty obvious,” Luhan chimed in, taking a sip of coffee. I was stunned. They'd known the whole time, yet they were still my best friends in the world.

 

“I don't know what to say...” I mumbled.

 

“Well it's obvious what you have to do,” Luhan said with a sly smile.

 

“And what's that?” I asked.

 

“You have to tell Kai how you feel about him. If you don't you'll have to marry Taeyeon and live the rest of your life in unhappiness,” he said.

 

“I can't... Jessica knows, she said she'll tell everyone my secret if I don't marry Taeyeon,” I wiped a forming tear.

 

“Don't worry about Jessica. You have to worry about yourself and your happiness from now on Baekhyun. We'll support you every step of the way,” Chanyeol patted me on the back. It finally hit me... he was right. I couldn't live for my parents anymore, it had to be about me. I got up from the table.

 

“Thanks guys... I have to go find Taeyeon,”

 

An Hour Later

 

I knocked on the door to Taeyeon's suite and she answered quickly.

 

“What brings you here darling, you never come to visit unannounced,” she said as I took a seat.

 

“We need to talk about something,” I said, trying to overcome the lump in my throat.

 

“What is it?” she raised an eyebrow as she sat down next to me.

 

“Taeyeon... You are an amazing woman. Ever since the moment I've met you, you have astounded me with your generosity and humility. But sadly, I cannot marry you... Taeyeon, I'm gay... and I just can't spend the rest of my life in a relationship that I'm not invested in...”

 

She simply blinked at me for a while, before taking a deep breath and sipping her tea.

 

“Well, that was unexpected. Listen Baekhyun, I love you, I really do. With that being said, I want nothing more than for you to be happy. I'll miss you and I'll always cherish the memories of our time together... I hope you find true love,” she replied. She took something out of the drawer that was next to the couch. The bracelet...

 

“Taeyeon no, it was a gift,” I said.

 

“For the person you truly love, give it to him when you find him,” she said with a smile as she handed me the bracelet. I hugged her as tightly as I could. She was truly wonderful.

 

30 minutes later

 

 

I looked around the third class deck until I saw Tao and Sehun.

 

“Hi guys,” I said as I approached them.

 

“Oh, hello Baekhyun nice to see you. What brings you to these parts?” Tao asked.

 

“I'm looking for Kai,”

 

“Well he's not here. We haven't seen him all day,” Sehun harshly replied.

 

“You may want to check at the front of the ship. It's a favorite spot of his,” Tao suggested. I nodded and ran there as fast as possible. I sighed a breath of relief when I saw Kai standing there, looking out over the railing.

 

“Kai, you're here!” I yelled. He looked shocked to see me.

 

“Baekhyun... I thought you didn't want to see me again,” he admitted.

 

“I'm sorry I avoided you yesterday... I just needed some time to sort out my feelings,” I said.

 

“Look, before you say anything else, I need to tell you something. You are the most amazing boy... no man, I've ever met. I've never even been attracted to men before but you have sent my heart into overdrive. I... I love you Byun Baekhyun and I don't care what anyone has to say about it. As far as I'm concerned, we're in this together... just like when we first met, you jump, I jump. No matter what happens, no matter what obstacles we face... I'll never let go of my love for you,” tears streamed down his face as the words left his lips. I noticed that I was crying too. I grabbed him and pulled him close, basking in the warmth of his embrace.

 

“I love you too Kim Jongin. And you're right, we are in this together. It may seem sudden, or crazy, but as you said the other night. We only get one chance and we have to make it count,” I replied, pulling the bracelet from my pocket. He gasped as I put it on him. We hugged each other for what felt like an eternity.

 

“Let's spend some time together tomorrow, just the two of us... away from everyone else,” he said.

 

“That sounds amazing. We'll meet here tomorrow evening. Church services usually last all day and I'm pretty sure it wont be any different just because we're on a ship,”

 

Kai chuckled and kissed my forehead as we gazed off into the distance together.