Don't let go!

Titanic: The Shining Example

Chanyeol and I walked across the upper deck and to the ship's bow where we saw a carefree blonde boy standing on the railing.

 

“Luhan, is that you?” I asked. He turned around, looking rather surprised, but then he smiled.

 

“Byun Baekhyun, as I live and breathe! How are you!” he said, stepping down from the rail and hugging me.

 

“I'm fine. What were you doing?” I scratched my head.

 

“Oh, I just needed some fresh air. My parents were going on and on with some other couple about the 3rd class passengers and how they're unfit to be on this ship,” he replied. I shook my head in disgust.

 

A loud ship horn sounded; it was time to set sail. Hundreds of people gathered at the ships rail and waved goodbye to the large crowd below. I felt a hand touch my back and I looked up to see my father.

 

“You should be happy son. We are about to witness history in the making. The maiden voyage of the RMS Titanic,” he said.

 

“I am happy father. I just... don't really feel well,”

 

“Well I have something to show you that will definitely make you feel better,” my father led me back to our room. I sat down on the leather couch and waited for him to fish something out of one of his bags. He returned with a small box. I opened it, and inside was the most beautiful bracelet I'd ever seen. There were two small holes that were meant to wrap around your fingers, and another went around your wrist so that the amazing Sun charm could rest on the back of the hand.

 

“Father... I don't know what to say. It's gorgeous,” I said, trying to regain my composure by smiling.

 

“The designer crafted it after the ancient Aztec legend of the sun. Apparently this charm is meant to be bestowed upon the person you truly love,” he said. My smile faded.

 

“Taeyeon,” I mumbled.

 

“I'm sure she'll love it,” he said with a smile. I nodded and put the box in my jacket pocket. My emotions were in a frenzy. I couldn't possibly tell him that I wasn't in love with Taeyeon, or that I hadn't even met the person that I was truly in love with. I needed some fresh air. I returned to the upper deck and walked until I came to the back of the ship. I stood there for hours, staring out at the ocean and trying to clear my mind. Before I knew it, the sun had set, and stars were filling the sky.

 

Tears streamed down my cheeks. Was this it? Was this all my life was ever going to be. Lies and unhappiness? Without thinking, I stepped up onto the rail and climbed over... preparing to throw myself overboard.

 

“What do we have here?” said a familiar voice. I looked up to see the flawless boy from earlier.

 

“Get away from me!” I screamed.

 

“I can't do that, you see... I'm too involved now. If you jump, I'm gonna have to jump in after you,” he said with a smile. A gorgeous smile.

 

“What? Are you insane? If you jump, you'll die from the fall alone,” I said, tightening my grip on the rail. Deep down, I knew I didn't want to fall.

 

“It'll hurt, that's for sure,” he replied.

 

“You're insane,”

 

“Says the boy hanging off the back of a moving ship,”

 

I rolled my eyes at him.

 

“Just leave me alone okay!” I demanded.

 

“You're not gonna jump. If you were, you would've done it already. Just give me your hand,” he said, holding his hand out. I sighed in defeat and took his hand. His touch was electrifying.

 

“I'm Kim Jongin, but my friends call me Kai,”

 

“My name's Byun Baekh-” my sentence was cut short as my foot slipped and I nearly fell. Kai grabbed my arm and held on tight. I tried not to look down.

 

“Hang on!” he yelled.

 

“PLEASE DON'T LET GO!”

 

“I won't, I wont let go, I promise!” he pulled up sharply, pulling me over the railing and sending us both crashing into the deck. My heart was pounding and my breathing was sporadic.

 

“What the hell is going on here!?” yelled Chanyeol as he, Taeyeon and Jessica approached us. They must've heard all the screaming.

 

“Chanyeol, what are you doing here?” I asked through shallow breaths.

 

“We were all out looking for you... Is everything alright?” Taeyeon asked, helping me stand and then helping Kai.

 

“Everything's fine. I was just looking over to admire the uh... propellers and I slipped. Luckily Kai saved me,” I said, smiling at Kai who blushed.

 

“It's no big deal, really,” Kai replied.

 

“Nonsense, you saved my fiancee's life. Thank you so much,” Taeyeon said, shaking his hand.

 

“Why don't you join us for dinner tomorrow, as a way of showing our gratitude,” Chanyeol offered.

 

“That sounds great,” Kai said.

 

“What? He's clearly a third class passenger. He has no business eating at our table,” Jessica protested.

 

“I think it's a splendid idea,” Taeyeon said. Kai ignored Jessica and thanked Chanyeol again for the invitation.

 

“Come on Baekhyun, let's get you back to your room,” Chanyeol said. I thanked Kai again and went off toward my room.