Prologue

Titanic: The Shining Example

November 3rd 2012

 

The old man slowly walked through the steel doorway and into the crowded observation deck. His grandson held his hand firmly and helped him sit down.

 

“Okay guys, keep this brief, my grandpa get's tired pretty easily,” said the young man. His name was Jaejoong. He was in his twenties and he was unnaturally handsome. Strangely enough he decided to become a marine biologist, rather than an actor or model. He was hired to advise the crew about behavioral patterns of fish and other sea creatures in the area where the Titanic sank, so that they wouldn't interfere with the search for artifacts. But now, it wasn't Jaejoong's input that the crew wanted... it was his grandfather's.

 

“Hello Mr. Kim. My name is Nathan Parker and I'm the historian aboard this ship. I'll cut to the chase... We've been searching for one expensive artifact, the bracelet of the sun. It was crafted in 1912 and purchased by a man named Byun Jinyoung as a gift for his son to give to his fiancee. According to our records... you're his son,” said the tall skinny man in thick glasses. The old man smiled weakly.

 

“It's true, I'm his son, Baekhyun,” he said.

 

“Incredible, you must be well over one hundred years old by now,” Nathan studied the wrinkles in Baekhyun's face, as if they told a story.

 

“One hundred nineteen to be exact,” Baekhyun replied.

 

“That's fascinating... now can we get on with it?” said another chubby man. Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

 

“Show some respect,” Jaejoong demanded.

 

“It's fine. I assume you want me to help you find it,” Baekhyun shifted in his chair.

 

“Yes... and if it's no trouble, I'd be delighted to hear your story. I've never heard a first hand account of what it was like on the Titanic, and I may never get this chance again,” Nathan said.

 

“It's been one hundred years...” Baekhyun began