XXII

Bloodlust

 

'Red alert,' Chanyeol said, coming up to Sehun in the walkway at the end of Friday afternoon. 'I got a tip.'

'Yeah? What?' Sehun asked.

'I followed Donghae into the bathroom after physics. Heard him making plans to go out tonight. I'm going to trail him, see if he tries to pick up a girl.'

Damn, Sehun thought. He'd been planning to go to Yuri's after school, but didn't want to tell Chanyeol that. He'd never admitted to his friend that he had a huge crush on Yuri.

'You think you'll be okay without me?' he asked Chanyeol. 'I have a thing tonight.'

'Oh. Yeah, sure,' Chanyeol said. He didn't sound all that confident, though.

'Listen, all you're going to do is follow him, right?' Sehun asked. 'You're not going to try to fight him or anything.'

'Right,' Chanyeol said.

'If you need me to play Robin the Boy Wonder, call me on my cell and I'll get your back,' Sehun told him as they walked out to the parking lot.

'You know it.' Chanyeol split off toward his Vespa, while Sehun headed for the VW.

 

Luna was waiting for him. 'Thank God it's the weekend,' she said as soon as he got in the car. 'I am so sick of getting up when it's still dark out.'

'Yeah,' Sehun murmured, pulling out of the lot.

'Sunny and I are going to this barbeque tomorrow - Amber Liu is throwing it. Apparently Amber's parents have the biggest hot tub in Malibu,' Luna said.

'Uh-huh.' Sehun never bothered to listen when Luna talked about her plans. He was just happy to hear her back into social mode. Maybe she was going to like it in California after all. He let her chatter on while he thought about what to say to Yuri. He knew it was a little eccentric to just show up at her house like nothing had happened. Still, it wasn't exactly as if they had a fight...

'Is that Donghae Lee's brother?' Luna asked.

The mention of Donghae's name caught Sehun's attention. 'Huh?' he queried, looking around. He'd stopped at a red light, but he hadn't noticed the car that pulled up beside him. Luna nodded toward it, trying to be subtle. 'You know, Donghae, the guy the cops thought-'

'Yeah, I know Donghae,' Sehun interrupted. He leaned forward to see past Luna into the vintage Mustang next to them. Suho was at the wheel, lost in his own world as usual. He didn't even glance in their direction.

 

The light changed, and Sehun hit the gas. 'That was Suho,' he told Luna. 'He's not Donghae's brother.'

'Are they cousins or something?'

'No.' Sehun squinted at his sister. 'Why?'

'They look so much alike,' Luna commented, as she pulled her bag onto her lap and began digging through it for something. Obviously she was done with the conversation. But Sehun was stuck on the Donghae and Suho thing.

'They don't look anything alike,' he said. 'Donghae's a jock, and Suho's a... I don't know, a loner.'

Luna rolled her eyes. 'That has nothing to do with what they look like.'

'I know, it's just that they're really different. Suho's thin and pale and stuff.'

'They have the same hair,' Luna said. 'Same basic chin and cheekbones.'

'If you say so,' Sehun replied doubtfully.  'Obviously you spend way more time looking at guys than I do.'

Luna swatted him and he laughed.

 

After he dropped her off at home, Sehun headed straight over to Yuri's house. He wanted to get there before he chickened out. If he was going to see her, he had to do it now. He had to know what was between them. Did she feel anything for him? Did he pull at her heart the way she did at his? And did that even matter? Did anything matter other than the harsh fact that she used his kind for food?

Sehun leaped out of the car, strode to the door, and rang the bell. He was hoping Yuri would answer, but he figured he could deal with her mom again if he had to.

Although, he wasn't expecting Kris Wu.

'Oh Sehun,' Kris said, sounding less than thrilled. He looked Sehun up and down with his cool dark eyes, radiating a faint air of disapproval. Even so, Sehun couldn't help feeling as if he wanting Kris on his side. There was something about the guy that caught your attention. He was all coiled energy, like a snake ready to strike.

'Hey, Kris,' Sehun said. 'I'm looking for Yuri.'

Kris didn't move. He held Sehun's gaze for a moment, his dark eyes boring into Sehun as if he could read his mind. He knows, Sehun realized. He knows Yuri told me about them. But he didn't break eye contact. Even though his heart was racing, he didn't want Kris to know he was on edge.

This guy is a vampire, Sehun thought. But the idea was still too Sci-Fi Channel to feel real.

'Yuri!' Kris called suddenly. Then he nodded briefly to Sehun, turned and walked away, leaving the door open. It wasn't exactly an invitation, but it wasn't a get-the-hell-outta-here, either. Sehun stepped inside and followed Kris toward the backyard.

Yuri was just getting up from her chaise when Sehun reached the glass door. His heart sank as he took in the scene: not just Kris, but Luhan, Kai, Hyoyeon, Eunhyuk and Sulli. They all sat around the pool, just hanging out like normal people. Except that they were all vampires. Yuri hadn't confirmed his suspicions about Hyoyeon and Dominic, but Sehun was pretty sure that this group had more in common than just the fact that they were cool and rich.

 

Sehun was alone in a house full of blood-drinkers and something primal inside was screaming at him to run. But Yuri was walking toward him, a smile playing on her lips, dark eyes as intoxicating as ever. Sehun felt he knew her; she wasn't evil.

He forced himself to act normally as he stood by the doors, waiting for Yuri to reach him.

'Sehun,' Yuri said. 'Hi. Do you want to join us?'

He took a deep breath. 'Maybe. What you doing?'

Hyoyeon and Kris exchanged a look. Kai suddenly got up and jumped into the pool, swimming furiously.

'Nothing,' Yuri said. 'Just hanging.'

But everyone was quiet and tense. Sehun had clearly interrupted something. He glanced at Kris again. Kris didn't look away. 'No thanks,' Sehun said. 'I just wanted to drop by and say hello. So, hello, and now I'll let you get back to... hanging.'

He turned back into the house, and Yuri followed him to the front door.

'What was that all about?' he asked quietly.

She sighed. 'Look-'

'Did I interrupt some big vampire conference?'

'We're trying to figure out what happened to Sohee,' Yuri murmured, glancing over her shoulder. 'I told you, Kris wants to take care of it.'

'Well, good luck.' Sehun reached for the doorknob.

'Wait,' Yuri said, stepping closer to him. 'I'm glad you came. I didn't expect to see you here again.'

The closeness of her made his head swim. 'I didn't expect to be here again,' he admitted, smiling in spite of himself. 'But I had to see you.'

Yuri smiled back, and took another step toward him, and immediately Sehun felt himself swept away - by her apple-vanilla scent that reminded him of the ocean, the wild, vivid beauty of her face and the incredible sweetness of her smile. If he didn't touch her, he thought he might go crazy. Without thinking, Sehun reached out and slipped his arm around her waist, pulling her close. Before he could stop himself, his mouth was on hers.

He felt Yuri's body tense in surprise, but then slowly her arms moved up around his neck. She opened her lips, inviting him in, deepening the kiss, her tongue briefly, meeting his.

Then, abruptly, she pulled away. Her dark eyes troubled now, confused.

Sehun smiled, turned and left the house. He felt Yuri watching him as he walked to his VW and got in. And he couldn't stop himself from grinning; it was nice to know Yuri was just as confused about their relationship as he was.

 

He was still too wired to head home, so he went for a drive. It was great to be living in a state where he could actually make use of having a convertible, even in the fall. The sun on the ocean was dazzling as he sped along the Pacific Coast Highway. In the water, he could see a few surfers making most of the late afternoon sunshine.

Sehun breathed in the salty ocean air and felt himself begin to unwind. There'd been a weird vibe over at Yuri's, no doubt, but no one threatened him. No fangs had made an appearance. It was probably just like Yuri said - the vampires were talking about their rogue member, whoever he was. Trying to figure out what to do. Trying to help. But they clearly didn't want an outsider like him getting involved.

By the time Sehun turned back towards DeVere Heights, the last rays of the sun were turning the sea gold.

Sehun's cell rang.

He glanced at the number: Chanyeol.

'How's it going?' Sehun asked as soon as he hit TALK.

'We've got a problem.' Chanyeol sounded freaked.

'What?'

'It's Donghae. He just went into The Dreamhouse.'

'Where?' Sehun asked.

'It's a club in town. But that's not the problem. Sehun, he had a girl with him. What if he's going to kill her?'

 

 

*Note - Hmm, so what was all that serious vibe happening at Yuri's house?
And Yuri and Sehun kissed! Both being confused about there feelings~ what about Luhan? :/
Oh no! What is happening at The Dreamhouse with Donghae?