I

Bloodlust

Malibu. Oh Sehun took a deep breath of the fresh California air. He lived in Malibu now. This was him, driving his VW Karmann Cabriolet Beetle down the Pacific Coast Highway. The thought was as blinding as the sun on the ocean, as dazzling as the white sand stretching out alongside the car - right the car. He could pull over and be down there in-
'How insane is that house?'

Sehun reluctantly dragged his gaze away from the... the Malibu, and glanced at the house his younger sister, Luna, was pointing to. She'd pulled her sunglasses down for a better look, and her brown eyes were wide with curiosity.

'It has a tennis court!' she declared. 'And I bet that glass dome is for an indoor pool. They don't let you see much, do they? All those trellises and flowers.' Luna glanced over her shoulder as they drove by, trying to eye-TiVO every detail. 'That new job of Dad's, the un-pass-by-able job, the one I had to leave all my friends for? It pays for a gazillion dollars. Why aren't we living in a place like that?'

'Places like that cost multiple gazillions,' Sehun told her. 'Besides, we have a pool at the new house.'
 

'An outdoor pool,' Luna complained. But Sehun could hear a hint of amusement in her voice. The idea of complaining about anything in this town was ridiculous.

'Don't knock the pool. It's a lovely kidney shape, with coloured tile detailing,' Sehun said, quoting the real-estate agent with a wry smile.

Luna adjusted her Oliver Peoples sunglasses that had been a gift from their Aunt Boa: the aunt who - aside from having impeccable fashion sense - had also mentioned the new job to their dad and helped find their new house.

'True. But the pool doesn't make up for being dragged halfway across the country two weeks before junior year,' Luna said flatly.

Sehun sighed. He knew the leaving-all-her-friends part of the situation had really upset Luna. She'd had at least thirty 'best friends' back in Michigan, and she hadn't wanted to part with any of them.

 

'Hey, so I heard about this guy called the Surf Rabbi,' he said, trying to get Luna's mind off her homesickness. 'He's an actual rabbi. He's like fifty years old, and he gives surfing lessons: spiritual surfing lessons. He's all about, I don't know, giving yourself over to the water, or something. He teaches in Malibu.'
'Hmm,' Luna managed.

 

Sehun shot a look at the surfers already out in the ocean. Sweet. He couldn't wait to get out there himself. But he might need to pay a visit to the rabbi first, seeing as he'd never set foot on a board.

The lifeguard stations on their long wooden legs reminded him of another thing he needed to do. He had to go find out where to apply for a job as a guard. That was seriously on the top ten list of things to do now that he was living in California, right after joining a gym. He figured he had a decent shot at getting a life-guard job, since he'd been on the swim team back home, and he'd already taken a lifesaving course.

 

'Jeans!' Luna gasped as they neared the school gates.

'Huh?' Sehun queried.

'I have to change,' Luna said, as if that was actually an explanation. Sehun raised his eyebrows. She rushed on. 'Those girls we just passed were all wearing designer jeans!' She shook her head, her hair flying around her face. 'And I'm in a skirt. I'm not dressed right.'

Sehun sighed. 'We don't have time for you to change. We just got here. Besides, what you're wearing is fine,' he assured her.

Luna pulled out a brush and whipped it through her hair. 'It's different for you. You're a guy. You have the vintage bug. You have the blonde hair/brown eyes combo. Nobody's going to care what you're wearing.'

'And you're the only one who cares what you're wearing!' Sehun countered. 'You look great. You always do. Chill out, Luna.'

 

Sehun swung the car into the parking lot of DeVere High. DeVere, as in DeVere Heights: the gated complex where they now lived. And DeVere University. And DeVere Museum of Modern Art. And DeVere Library. And DeVere Athletic Complex, et cetera, et cetera and et cetera. He killed the engine and opened the car door.

Luna remained motionless. Her brown eyes were filled with apprehension behind her shades. She hated change. She always had. She'd actually insisted on moving every single Narnia book she'd ever owned across the country, even though she hadn't read them for years. She seemed to think that the world would end if she didn't have them stuffed in her closet in Malibu, just the way she'd had them stuffed in her closet in Michigan.

 

Sehun had handed out his belongings left and right. He wanted to start clean here. No mooning over his past life, no calling his old friends every five minutes, no thinking about Michigan like it had been some kind of paradise. He wished he could give Luna a transfusion of some of his excitement. They were in Malibu now. Life was going to change. And Sehun wanted it to. In Fraser, the suburb where he'd live since birth, he had been able to see every day, every week, every month stretching out in front of him. Not bad. But boring. Here he had no idea what was going to happen - and it was a total rush!

 

'Listen. You had more friends than nay other human at our old school,' Sehun reminded his sister. 'It's not going to be any different here.' He climbed out of the car. The bug looked like a toy among all the hellaciously big H2s and Range Rovers that filled the lot. Still, Sehun spotted at least ten new Mercedes SLK convertibles and several other vintage cars like his own. Not everyone was an SUV freak.

 

He glanced at Luna. She was still in the car. A couple of girls around his sister's age - sixteen - walked by, laughing and gossiping to each other just like girls everywhere. 'They don't seem so evil,' Sehun pointed out.

 

With a sigh, Luna climbed from the car and gave the girls a once-over. 'They definitely wouldn't survive a winter in Michigan,' she said at last.

'There's the old Luna attitude,' Sehun joked. He smiled as he led the way to the main building. It looked nothing like a school - an art gallery, maybe, a mansion or a spa, sure, but not a school. It had arches and parapets and red roof tiles. A bell tower rose up from one side. And a wide porch wrapped around the second floor.

They stepped through the largest archway and found themselves in a central courtyard with a manicured lawn in the middle, surrounded by palm trees. Sehun still wasn't used to seeing palms all over the place. And flowers grew like weeds out here, not in neat little gardens, but everywhere - on the medians of the freeways, on the sides of buildings; he's even seen some growing around the trunks of palm trees.

 

'I'm this way,' he announced, stopping in a cool, dim walkway next to the courtyard. Stone steps led up to a side door, and his school map showed him that his first class should be right inside. He looked at the class schedule Luna was clutching so tightly that the blood had drained from her fingers, leaving them bone white. 'You're over there...' he added, nodding in the opposite direction, where another set of stairs led into the wing across the courtyard.

'Yep,' Luna replied shortly. She looked terrified at the prospect of going it alone.

'Look, just make it through this first week. You can do that,' Sehun told her encouragingly.

'And then what?'

He tried to think of something that would keep her going. 'I'll take you to the movies on Saturday,' he suggested. 'Even if it means sitting though a chick flick!'

Luna laughed a little shakily. 'Okay.' She took a deep breath. 'See ya after.'

Sehun nodded. 'I'll be at the car,' he said, and headed away from her, into what he hoped would be... the unexpected.

 

 

*NOTE - For this story lets pretend that Sehun is older than Luna. That Luna is Sehun's younger sister and they are both in High School. I thought Sehun would play the main character of the story because I can totally picture him as a surfer type guy with his rocking hot body, haha.