XXI

Bloodlust

 

'Anything?' Sehun asked Chanyeol on Thursday at lunch.

Chanyeol shook his head. 'The usual. Everyone loved the party, no one remembers a thing about it. You ask them for specifics and their eyes glaze over.'

Sehun didn't know what to say. The truth was, he has a hard time remembering anything specific from the yacht party himself. And everyone he'd talked to about Sohee's death said the same thing: they saw her making out with Donghae Lee. And nothing else. 'What about Donghae? He still seems to be our number-one suspect. Did your dad tell you anything new?'

'Yeah. The cops released him. The only evidence against him is circumstantial: he was the last one seen with Sohee.' Chanyeol looked pretty wrecked. Sehun wondered if he'd been sleeping at all this week. 'And it's just as we expected,' Chanyeol went on. 'Sohee's drug tests came back, and of course they were all negative. So the police have ruled her death an accident, not murder. They're going to close the case today.'

Sehun put down his pizza. Suddenly he didn't feel hungry anymore. This was so unreal. He knew Sohee had been murdered, and yet the police couldn't even prove it. Hell, they didn't even suspect murder anymore. 'I wish we could tell the police about the vampires,' he said. 'They're working without all the info.'

'Yeah, but I'd like to go to college next year,' Chanyeol said. '"Gee, Dad, I'm pretty sure Sohee was killed by a vampire" is like a one-way ticket to a lovely padded cell.'

 

'Did Donghae say anything to the cops?' Sehun asked. 'Anything we can use?'

'Actually, he said Sohee went off with Suho toward the end of the party,' Chanyeol said.

'Suho?' Sehun frowned in thought. He did remember seeing the guy there, but Suho had seemed solidly committed to his alone time with Suho. 'Did the cops talk to him?'

'Nah. My dad said they tried to, but they couldn't find him.'

'Why not?' Sehun asked. 'He's been in school.'

Chanyeol shrugged. 'Don't know. It's weird. But now they've decided her death was accidental, they don't even care about talking to Suho. Nobody else saw Sohee with him, anyway.

'Maybe Donghae was just trying to shift the blame to someone else,' Sehun said thoughtfully.

'So Donghae is still our prime suspect,' Chanyeol said quietly.

Sehun nodded. 'We think he's a vampire, and we definitely saw him with Sohee.'

'The police report puts Sohee's time of death at around twelve thirty,' Chanyeol said. 'And the time stamp on my film has Sohee making out with Donghae at twelve fifteen.'

'That doesn't give her much time to have gone off with Suho, or anybody else,' Sehun pointed out.

'It was Donghae, it had to be,' Chanyeol said grimly. 'So that means the police have just released a bloodlusting vampire. How long do you think it's going to take for him to drain someone else?'

 

'Let's hit the pool, guys!' Coach Middleton yelled into the locker room after school.

Sehun grabbed his towel and slammed the locker shut. Usually swim practice was his favorite part of the day - a chance to relax, work his muscles, feel the water. But today he was dreading it. He'd managed to avoid Luhan all week. In fact, he'd avoided all the friends of Dracula, at least the ones he knew about.

Does Luhan know Yuri told me the truth? Sehun wondered. Is he going to be pissed? And what about the exchange they'd had at Hyoyeon's party? Sehun wondered if he should apologize, maybe say he'd been drunk?

'Sehun! Let's go kick some ,' Luhan called, rounding the row of lockers. 'I'm going to set a fast time today.' He whipped his towel at Sehun, hitting him in the , and let out a whoop. Some of the other guys picked it up, howling as they charged out to the pool.

Sehun followed more slowly, not sure what to think. Luhan was acting as if nothing had happened between them. Was it possible Yuri hadn't told him about her conversation with Sehun?

Or did Luhan just not care that Sehun knew he was a vampire? Because why would he? It's not like Sehun was DeVere's own Van Helsing.

 

'Warm up,' Coach Middleton ordered.

The guys plunged into the pool and began with some easy laps. Sehun wandered over to where Luhan was about to jump in.

'So, what's up?' Luhan greeted him. 'Haven't seen you all week. I mean I've seen you, but you know. I can't believe it's already Thursday. I haven't even started to study for this French quiz I've got tomorrow.'

'Feels like it was Monday about three minutes ago,' Sehun agreed.

'I hear ya,' said Luhan. 'The first few weeks of school are always cake. But then the homework sets in and the freedom comes to an end. .' He gave Sehun a grin and dove into the pool as Kai climbed out, shaking water from his ear.

'Yo, Sehun!' Kai bellowed, lifting Sehun in a bear hug that almost crushed his ribs. Kai dropped him back to the ground and ambled away.

Sehun chuckled, but he couldn't help feeling a little guilty. Kai had always been friendly and easy-going. Sehun felt like an for holding the vampire fangs against him.

And with Luhan it was even worse. He'd been nothing but a friend to Sehun ever since they first met. Sehun felt like a racist or something for judging Luhan just because he was a vampire. It's not like the guy had a choice.

It's more than that, a little voice in Sehun's head whispered. With Luhan, it wasn't just the vampire issue. It was the Yuri issue. Sehun felt guilty just watching Luhan in the pool, knowing how he felt about the dude's girlfriend.

 

Yuri. How did he feel about her, anyway? Attracted to her? For sure. Disturbed by the casual way she talked about drinking blood? Also, for sure. Under the circumstances, Sehun reflected, it probably wasn't safe to have feelings for her at all!

'You're up, Sehun,' Luhan called. Sehun started. Luhan was already climbing out of the pool.

'Thanks,' Sehun said. He shoved the thought of Yuri out of his head and plunged into the water.

Swimming focused him. It always did. There was no room for hot girls or vampires or a murder mystery. There was only Sehun and the water and the need for speed. It was over too fast. He wished practice could last for days, long enough to let him finally get rid of all the stress the past week had generated.

But way too soon, he was out of the water and heading for the parking lot. Luna had gotten a ride today, so he would be driving home alone. And he was alone when he heard Yuri laughing. Sehun didn't look up. He didn't have to, to know it was her. She was probably there to pick up Luhan.

 

His stomach clenched into a knot. He didn't want to see Yuri, but ti was unavoidable. His eyes just couldn't resist taking a look at her. Without meaning to, he stopped and glanced over.

Yuri was leaning against the adobe wall of the front stairway, laughing as Luhan told her some kind of story. Sehun felt his face grow hot. She never laughed that way with him.

'Hey, Sehun. Our relay team's getting good, don't you think?' Luhan called.

Great. Now Sehun had to go over and join them. He had to watch as Luhan slipped an arm around Yuri and she rested against him, reaching up to kiss his cheek. Whether Yuri was a vampire or not, Sehun felt a surge of jealousy.

'We should be able to shave off a few more seconds in another couple of practices,' Sehun said, trying to get his mind off Luhan and Yuri.

'I was thinking we should make another run to Eddie's for those fish tacos,' Luhan said. He glanced at Yuri. 'Can you believe this guy ordered a beef taco there?'

Oh, don't even think about asking me to third wheel with you and Yuri, Sehun thought, 'I'm not such the fish guy,' he replied.

'Okay, but you and Chanyeol and I should definitely hang out again,' Luhan said. That line sounded a little rehearsed to Sehun. 'Maybe we could even convince Chanyeol to show us a little of his movie. Since we're all the stars and everything.'

 

That one came out even more rehearsed. Got it, Sehun thought. Yuri must have told Luhan about her conversation with Sehun. Which meant Luhan knew that Chanyeol was on to them, that his movie was about the vampires, and now Luhan was worried that Chanyeol might tell other people what he knew.

Just like he was the first day we hit Eddie's! Sehun realized. Luhan had seen Chanyeol filming the big guy that Eunhyuk pulverized. He knew that it was totally fishy that Eunhyuk had beaten up a guy the size of a house, so he didn't want Chanyeol talking to Changmin. That explained Luhan's sudden change of plan and his sudden interest in hanging with Sehun and Chanyeol. Sehun chuckled. He was finally starting to understand a lot of things.

'You think Chanyeol would be up for that?' Luhan asked.

Even Yuri looked a little anxious about the answer.

Sehun decided to tell them what they really wanted to know: whether Chanyeol was against them or not.

'I doubt he'd be willing to show the masterpiece until it's done,' Sehun replied. 'But I know he'd be up for a taco run. he's always telling me how long he's known you - you and Yuri and everyone. He's a fan.'

The unasked question had been answered. Luhan smiled. Yuri relaxed.

'Cool. I'll text you,' Luhan told Sehun. He slid his arm from Yuri's shoulders to her waist. 'Catch you later.'

'Bye, Sehun,' Yuri said, giving him a long, serious look as she headed off with Luhan. But it wasn't enough. A few words and a meaningful look was just not enough of Yuri.

I've got to see her alone, Sehun thought. Even is she is a vampire.

 

 

*Note - So Sehun feels guilty immediately labelling all vampires as monsters as his swim-team members Kai and Luhan always been friendly towards him. A few things ease between Yuri, Luhan and Sehun after their little chat.