XX

Bloodlust

'Heads up!' Chanyeol yelled the next morning. Sehun glanced up from his locker to see a piece of paper folded into a triangle flying at him through the air. He caught it right before it hit his eye.

'What's this?'

'The list.' Chanyeol lowered his voice as he came closer. 'I've been working on it for a couple of months, ever since I started to suspect...'

'Oh.' It was a list of people Chanyeol thought were vampires, then. Well, Sehun knew a few who should definitely be on there. Starting with Yuri.

 

Yuri. A wisp of her perfume reached his nose. Incredible how he could pick out her scent even in a crowd of people. His body reacted to her, as usual, with a rush of adrenalin. He glanced up as she walked by to see her chatting with Hyoyeon as if nothing was wrong. She didn't even look in his direction.

He hadn't spoken to her in the two days since she told him her secret. He didn't know if he wanted to. Didn't know if she wanted him to, either.

His body ached to go after her, to go talk to her, to hold her in his arms.

But his mind couldn't shake the image of those fangs. Maybe she wasn't evil. But she also wasn't human.

 

Sehun forced himself to turn away. He closed his locker and began walking in the opposite direction. His first class was on the other side of the school. Chanyeol walked with him. Sehun unfolded the list and glanced at it as he went. Lu. Lee. Kwon. Wu. There was a line underneath those four, then the names Sulli and Kai.

'Those top four are also the names of the top contributors to every charity and cultural resource in Malibu,' Chanyeol. 'Yuri's mother just hosted a gala to raise money for the hospital. Luhan's father's company just committed to sponsoring a year-round Malibu symphony series on the beach, free to the public, with free barbeque and all. Donghae's parents-'

'I get it,' Sehun said. 'This list... it's a Who's Who of the Heights. There isn't anybody who doesn't live behind the gates on here.'

 

'Hey, it takes a big pile of dough to live forever,' Chanyeol said as he dodged a big guy barreling down the hall. 'If they do. Live forever, I mean. Did you ask Yuri that?'

'Yes and they don't - although they do live longer than humans. She also confirmed that she can't turn into a bat, or a cloud of fog,' Sehun added. He glanced down at the list again. 'So this is a Heights thing. No outsiders.'

'You and your family might be the token non-vamps,' Chanyeol agreed.

Sehun didn't like the idea of being trapped in a small gated area with who knew how many of the walking dead. Walking undead? Everything was a question.

'The families, they created the Heights,' Chanyeol continued as Sehun veered over to his classroom door. Chanyeol's first class was three rooms away. 'And lots of those families have French roots: Lu, Wu, Kwon, et cetera. The Kwon's still own vineyards in France and in the Napa Valley. They're one of the oldest families in the area - were do you think DeVere Heights gets its name? The Kwon's and Wu's have been here the longest - over a hundred years - but it's been almost as long for the other families. And in California time, that's forever. Pretty much nothing in L.A. is over fifty years old.'

 

'Is everyone on this list a confirmed V?' Sehun asked, pausing outside the classroom.

'Well I was pretty sure Luhan was when I saw that blood on his mouth. Yuri outed herself and confirmed him,' Chanyeol said, 'as well as Sulli and Kai - or, at least, she didn't say no when you brought them up. I don't have proof about Donghae, but-'

'But he was all over Sohee and she got bitten,' Sehun finished for him, leaving out the dead part; it wasn't like either of them was going to forget that. 'What about Eunhyuk, that guy I had the run in with at Luhan's party?'

'You mean the Eunhyuk who would have beat you into the ground if Luhan hadn't come to the rescue?' Chanyeol countered.

'Please. I was holding on my own.'

'True. You lasted a lot longer than Changmin,' Chanyeol agreed. 'I'm just busting on you.'

'But that was a weird situation,' Sehun said. 'Is super-strength a vampire thing? Because there is no way that kind of power should have been coming out of Eunhyuk's runt body.'

 

'You've got a point. Although runt might be exaggerating a tad,' Chanyeol said. 'His dad's a partner in a high-powered law firm and his mother's on the school board of governors. I guess he goes on the list.'

'Maybe that's why Yuri was so freaked that I tried to take Eunhyuk down,' Sehun said, suddenly seeing the fight in a whole new light. 'She knows he's a vampire and she was terrified he'd kill me.'

''Cause it would have ended the party early,' Chanyeol said. 'If we add Eunhyuk to the list, does that mean we automatically add Hyoyeon?'

'Can you be the best friend of one vampire and the girlfriend of another and not be dentally-enhanced yourself?' Sehun asked. 'Do they let humans that far into their circle?' Would Yuri ever let someone like me in that far?  he couldn't help adding to himself.

'Doubtful.' Chanyeol took the list away from Sehun and started adding names, including Hyoyeon's. He hesitated, looking up at Sehun. 'Do you think there are girl-on-girl vamps? I mean, should we consider that Sohee could have been killed by Hyoyeon or Sulli or someone of the female persuasion?'

'You think lesbianism might be too out there for vampires?' Sehun shot back.

 

'Point, got one, you have,' Chanyeol answered. He narrowed his eyes at Sehun. 'You have seen a Star Wars movie, I assume.'

'A what?' Sehun asked blankly.

Chanyeol's face paled and his eyes went wide.

'I'm from Michigan, Chanyeol. Not the Amish country. Of course I've seen Star Wars.' Sehun laughed.

'Well, I don't know,' Chanyeol protested. 'Who knows what kind of deprivation you've suffered, living in the middle of the country all your life? Michigan is in the middle, right?'

Sehun rolled his eyes. 'Let's get back to the list,' he said. 'What do you think of Tiffany? I don't know her last name. She's on the girls' swim team.'

'Tiffany Hwang? Huh. Well, she's from the Heights, but that's the only thing I'd call suspect about Tiffany,' Chanyeol answered.

'I'm pretty sure she's been feeding on Chen,' Sehun told him. 'Somebody definitely had a taste of him at Luhan's party - he was still tired at swimming practice a day and a half later. And I know he and Tiffany got friendly at that party. I heard them talking about it.'

Chanyeol added Tiffany's name to the list, then put stars by the names of people who had been confirmed. 'Anybody else?'

'Not that I know of. But until a few days ago, I didn't believe in vampires,' Sehun said.

 

'So I guess anything's possible. What's the plan?'

'I figure we talk to people who were at the party the other night,' Chanyeol said. 'See if anybody noticed Sohee talking to anyone on this list. That's how we narrow down our suspects.'

'But your eye is on Donghae,' Sehun said.

'It is. I mean, you saw them on the bed.' Chanyeol squeezed his eyes shut as if that would block out the memory. 'But I've been thinking about it. There's no actual proof against Donghae. I don't want to miss something by focusing exclusively in him.'

Sehun nodded. Made sense to him. 'Aren't people going to wonder why we're so interested when we start with the questions?' he asked.

'I'll tell everyone I'm making a documentary about Sohee's death,' Chanyeol said. 'You tell them you're helping me. People are morbid, they'll want to talk about it.'

Sehun had seen that for himself. 'All right. I'll do what I can.' And maybe, just maybe, he thought, this investigation would keep his mind off Yuri.

 

 

*Note - Let the investigation begin! Sehun and Chanyeol have started to take roles as being investigators over Sohee's mystery death. Who do you guys think the culprit is?