Lizard's Treat (Special Chapter)

Book of Spooky Tales
Lizard's Treat (Special Chapter #1)
 
Characters: Lay
 
 
The day Lay moved in the new house, was the beginning of the occurence of weird happenings. Eerie voices in the middle of the night, windows creaking and creaking, wooden furniture sounded like they were being knocked on, marble sounds against the cold tiled floor, heck, even the television sounds of an old wayang soap opera could be heard sometimes in the wee hours of the morning.
 
Lay was in his second year of college, half studying, half working. Though times were difficult, and Lay felt like giving up, he always told himself to hang in on there. His parents were back in China, while he himself came to Korea in pursuit of an education. The Zhang family wasn't well-off, but the parents did everything they could in order for their only son to have the best. 
 
What Lay didn't tell them was that he had run out of the monthly allowance. Not wanting to trouble his parents, he lied and told them he was staying with a friend, when in actual fact, Lay didn't have much money to spend on renting a room, moreover a house; but sometimes one meets that rare of luck whereby you get lucky. Lay met an old man on the road, whom he very kindly helped get back home. In return, the old man offered Lay a shelter. 
 
The house in the woods wasn't exactly shabby, but it was decent. Well, looked decent. We shall see. It was an old, wooden house in the middle of the woods. The old man lived all alone ever since his wife died in a car accident. As long as Lay could take care of the house, the old man negotiated, that would be his new home. 
 
Lay agreed. I mean, wasn't it a good deal? Moreover, the old man reminded Lay of his grandfather back in Changsha whom he missed dearly. 
 
It was yet another moonlit night when Lay lay down on the cold, hard mattress, thinking of his home, his parents, wondering when he could graduate. Outside, he could hear the crickets chirping and the toads chorusing in deep music. 
 
All of a sudden, as though the world had been muted, the chirping sand and road music stopped. Lay froze. There was a creepy silence as the familiar sounds of the creaking windows, wooden furniture being knocked on, marbles' tinkling, and sharp wayang voices began to fill up the room. 
 
However, there was nothing Lay could do but to just lay in his bed and silently pray for the noises to be gone soon. Lay would then hear eerie voices, telling him to "follow me", which Lay would just ignore and then plug in his purple headphones. 
 
Not that Lay did not try tell the old man. On many times, almost as he was about to question the old man about these weird sounds, the old man would change the subject. It was almost as though the old man knew what Lay was about to bring up. 
 
So whenever it happened, Lay could do nothing but to wait. To wait and that hopefully one day, he'll be able to sleep in peace. 
 
This was just one of the relatively safe nights. 
 
That day, the old man brought back many dead lizards into the kitchen. Seeing the dead reptiles made Lay somewhat shiver but he decided not to question the old man when he saw the elderly man squeeze the lizards one by one, until their necks broke and the bowl of red liquid was finally full. The old man then set a pot out to brew, and in went the blood of the cold-blooded animals. 
 
"Do you want some, son?" The old man asked, sipping from the wooden bowl in which contained the sinister looking red liquid. Lay politely declined. He didn't want to hurt the old man's feelings. Yes, the old man was eccentric but he did not do anything to hurt Lay. Lay felt that it was alright as long he was not harmed. 
 
That very night, the old man finished the whole pot of stew. Before retiring back to his bed, he sprinkled lizard eggs in a circle right outside Lay's room, and in the middle of the circle lay a lizard which looked so bloated it looked as though it were pregnant. The large lizard made a cackling sound and showed its forked tongue out at the old man, whom did the same. Lay tried not to think too much about it, and dismissed it off as the old man simply liking lizards. Besides, Lay wasn't particularly scared of lizards. 
 
Lay was about to fall asleep but an unfamiliar sound filled his ears. Chantings of a weird language came from the old man's room. Lay's eyes shot open as he felt as though he was being watched. A sinking feeling in his gut told him to look up. 
 
And there she was. 
 
There was something on the ceiling. 
It was crawling, crawling, crawling, with its long black limbs. 
Its long black hair covered the face, but amidst the hair Lay could make out a rotten face. 
Lay stifled his screams as he quickly grabbed his pillow and bit it. 
However, the creature seemed to have heard Lay.
It suddenly turned its head... 360 degrees round...
And smiled right at Lay. A wide, large grin.
Lay tried not to move as its face was revealed. 
Its face... Was wrinkled and dried up, its eyes were beady and resembled that of a reptile, in the place of a nose where two holes... And a forked tongue came swishing out of its mouth every now and then. 
Its lips... Were circled up in a thin line. 
Oh wait. 
Lay grimaced as he noticed that the lips was just a line of thin black crisp. 
It was just as though they had been burnt to crisp. 
The creature suddenly cackled. 
Thousands of lizards fell from the ceiling. 
Lay screamed. 
As they fell... Onto the bed, Lay watched in horror as the old man entered his room. 
"Help..." Lay tried to mumble, but the lizards did their work. 
They nibbled at each and every part of Lay's body, as the old man watched on. 
Lay could do nothing but to tear silently in pain as he got devoured up... Slowly... Slowly... Slowly...
Soon, the cold hard mattress was covered with thousands of very bloated and very satisfied lizards, each one their thin lips with their forked tongues, producing burps of pleasure. 
On the bed, lay Lay. A heap of bones with tattered bits of cloth hanging about. 
 
"How did you like your meal, my wife?"