The Last Bus

Book of Spooky Tales
5. The Last Bus
 
Characters: Kris
 
 
A cold wind blew, and Kris couldn't help but to shiver. How much more longer did he have to walk?! He sighed as he looked around him.
 
Darkness had already engulfed the surroundings, and the only sources of light were the Moon and Kris' phone, which was almost depleting in battery. 
 
There wasn't any hope in dialing for help, either. Why would there be signals in the middle of wilderness?
 
An owl hooted in the distance, and Kris jumped. He tightened the grip on his haversack as he continue walking.
 
Somehow while hiking with a group of nature-lovers, Kris got distracted when he heard someone calling his name. He ended up wandering away from the group. The sun was beginning to set when he finally found a deserted road away from the trekking path. 
 
Now, the sky was dark and yet the road seemed never ending. 
 
His phone gave a tiny beep before the screen turned black. 
 
Awesome. Now even his phone was dead. Kris grunted.
 
A yellow streak flashed across the sky as thunder rumbled.
 
Better find a shelter as soon as possible. 
 
After what seemed to be half an hour later, Kris finally reached a bus stop. 
 
There was a yellowing piece of what seemed to be the bus schedule. Kris tried to squint his eyes to check the schedule. He checked his watch. 
 
"Damn!" Kris cursed under his breath. The watch's screen was cracked and the time paused at 2359.
 
The last bus had probably left by this time, anyway. Though Kris didn't know what time it was.
 
He sat on the bench as he began pounding his legs with his hands. Muscle aches.
 
Thunder sounded again before rain begun to fall down. They poured down, hitting the old rusty bus stop shelter with loud noises. 
 
At least I have shelter now.
 
Kris was about to make himself comfortable for the night when he felt lights shining on him. 
 
"What the-" he frowned, shielding his eyes from the bright lights. 
 
An old, yellow bus pulled up at the bus stop right in front of him. The sudden braking caused the puddle of dirty muddy water to be splashed on Kris' legs. Kris grunted as he got his haversack and walked towards the front door of the bus. 
 
"Last bus, young man, hop on!" The bus driver said monotonously as he opened the doors for Kris to get in. Kris didn't think much of where the bus was going. It had to go somewhere, afterall. A bus terminal or whatever, so as long he was able to get out of this middle of nowhere. Kris used his heavy bag as a temporary umbrella as he tried to get on the yellow bus. 
 
The bus driver was wearing a black cap which covered most of his face. Kris wondered how he could even see like that, moreover it was raining heavily. He thought nothing of it,  and proceeded to search his pockets for spare change. He paid his fare and made his way to the end of the bus. 
 
There weren't many passengers on board, but almost all of them wore caps, or had hoodies on. Kris wondered why was it so. Maybe it's cold and people are feeling emotional, Kris thought, trying to cheer himself up with a self-made joke. He reached the last row and took the seat nearest to the window, behind a girl with long black hair.
 
The girl had a cap on, and she seemed to be sleeping. 
 
Oh well, Kris shrugged and placed his stuff on his lap as he rested his head on his propped up arm. 
 
The bus continued moving along the slippery road, coming to sudden stops often. After some time, Kris got used to it. He dozed off as the raindrops hit the windows at an increasing speed...
 
The bus skidded and jerked forward, making Kris' backpack drop onto the floor and waking him up. Kris sighed and was about to get his backpack back up on his lap, when he noticed something on the floor which rolled from the last row when the bus jerked. 
 
It was a human head. With the eyes wide open, mouth stretched into a creepy wide smile, almost bald. 
 
"Oops," said a voice from the head. Kris' heart skipped a beat as he turned to look at the person beside him.
 
It was a headless body. 
 
Kris watched with his eyes wide open as the headless body quickly made his/her way to the front of the bus to retrieve the rolling head. 
 
The body hurriedly picked up the head, and fixed it back onto the shoulders. "Crack" and the head was back on the body. Kris felt his blood freeze as the body made his/her way back to the last row, where Kris was sitting. 
 
The body then sat down at the seat nearest to the other window. The person or whatever it was turned its head and looked over at a Kris to give Kris a wide grin. 
 
Kris wanted to scream oh so badly. What the freak just happened! The head turned back and Kris realized the head wasn't fixed on back properly. It was facing the back, making the in front and the chest behind. 
 
I must be dreaming oh my god. How can this even happen?! Kris tried to calm his nervous wreck self down. Calm down, take a deep breath!
 
There was a chuckle from the front which Kris presumed was from the bus driver. Kris suddenly thought of something. He quickly grabbed his things and rushed to the front of the bus. 
 
"Bus driver, did you see that? I think that person is a g-ghost," Kris stuttered in a deep whisper. 
 
There was another creak as the bus driver turned his head sideways to face Kris. 
 
A rotting, bald face stared back at him. Red bloodshot eyes, yellowing teeth (or should I say single tooth) hanging from the thin, grey lips. Wrinkled skin which had holes on the cheeks. 
 
Kris nearly fainted. 
 
The bus driver grinned a toothy grin as he brought a bony shriveled finger up to his lips, "Ssh, don't let them know you're a human." 
 
Kris' eyes widened in shock as various creaks sounded. He turned his head to face the passengers. 
 
All of them stared back at Kris, revealing their old, rotting faces which only showed one thing in common: it's feeding time.