The Creaky Window and the Door

Book of Spooky Tales

 

3. The Creaky Window and the Door
 
Characters: Luhan and Seohyun
 
 
Luhan and Seohyun were chatting on the phone late at night. Their houses were right next to each other's; the both of them sitting on their balconies and holding onto their phones, while looking at each other.
 
After some time, it was a few minutes to midnight.
 
The couple were happily chatting on the phone, when suddenly Luhan said in a hushed tone. "Babe, I think it's getting late. Why not we chat tomorrow? Go to sleep now."
 
Seohyun pouted. "But oppa, can't we chat longer? I'll promise to sleep right at midnight!" 
 
"No. Go back in to sleep right now or I'm going to get angry. Remember to close your balcony door and lock it. Draw your curtains. I heard there's going to be a storm tonight." Luhan quickly fibbed as his heart beat began to increase rapidly. 
 
"Arraso," Seohyun surrendered. "Good night oppa, I love you."
 
With that, Seohyun went back into her room, locked her balcony door and drew the curtains. 
 
Seeing the girl he loved back safe in her room, Luhan shivered and quickly did the same. He just hoped his girl would be safe. 
 
Back in her room, Seohyun turned off the bedside lamp and crawled into her covers. 
 
Lying down with her hands supporting her head, she wondered about the sudden change in Luhan's behavior. She didn't say anything wrong, did she? Why did he suddenly sound so harsh, and in fact, she could detect some fear in his voice?
 
She frowned as she glanced at her Keroro digital clock on the beside table. 
 
2359. 
 
Seohyun sighed as she propped her head up with another pillow. 
 
Much as she loved beauty sleep and wanted her skin cells to rejuvenate, she couldn't fall asleep. 
 
The clock beeped once and she knew midnight had arrived. 
 
It was a rather windy night. Her bedroom window was creaking really loudly. 
 
Seohyun wasn't unnerved by creaking. In fact, it was often windy at night around her district. 
 
However, the creaking sounded rather loudly tonight. It was really as though there was added weight to the windows. 
 
Seohyun's heartbeat sped up, as the creaking got more and more frequent. 
 
Just then, the creaking stopped. 
 
Seohyun heaved a silent sigh of relief. 
 
Suddenly, from outside, right outside her balcony, she could hear scratching. 
 
It sounded just like how it did if one were to scratch the blackboard in school, Seohyun thought. 
 
The scratching was rather inconsistent, but it sounded near and seemed to be coming from the balcony door. 
 
Seohyun was really scared by now. She didn't dare get out of bed, with fear that that thing, or human if it were, would attack her. She didn't dare switch on the lights either, afraid that the sight would frighten her. 
 
Seohyun never felt so vulnerable and scared. It didn't help that she was home alone; her parents were away on their 20th wedding anniversary. 
 
Seohyun covered herself up with her blanket. 
 
The scratching stopped, but Seohyun was still afraid. She didn't know what would be coming up next. 
 
There was an eerie silence as Seohyun quickly got out her phone, and called Luhan. 
 
"Oppa, I'm scared. Somebody is scratching on my balcony door." She whimpered. 
 
"Seohyun, don't be afraid. I'm coming over right now." Luhan hung up the phone call. 
 
As soon as the call ended, Seohyun could hear knocking on her balcony door. 
 
She was relieved.
 
She was about to get out of her bed and walk towards the balcony to draw open the curtains and unlock the door, when she suddenly froze. 
 
If that was Luhan. Why would he be coming from the balcony?
 
Seohyun let out a scream and quickly ran down to the living room. She decided she couldn't stay in her bedroom any second longer. 
 
The sounds were simply too unnerving. 
 
The knocking on her door startled her and Seohyun jumped. 
 
She was very frightened right now, and didn't know if she should open the door. 
 
The phone beside her rang. 
 
"Seohyun, open the door right now! I'm outside your door!" Luhan's voice was firm and strong. 
 
Seohyun immediately rushed to open the door. 
 
Luhan bursted in, and was shocked when Seohyun suddenly enveloped him in a hug. 
 
What shocked him most was that she was crying.  
 
Seohyun could no longer hold in her emotions, and her tears flowed down her pale cheeks. 
 
Luhan smoothed her back with his right hand. "It's alright, baby, it's alright. I'm here, baby don't cry (A/N: hehehehehe get it?) it's okay, I'm here." He her hair. It hurt him so much when he thought of how scared his girl was, and blamed himself not being there for her. 
 
Luhan broke the hug, and quickly locked the door. He helped Seohyun to the sofa. 
 
"Oppa, I was so scared... There was something at my balcony door..." Seohyun whimpered, the unstoppable tears steaming down her face. 
 
Luhan hugged her as he placed her head on his shoulder. "I'm here, I won't be leaving. Don't be afraid. Just close your eyes, and sleep," his voice was soothing. It calmed Seohyun down as she nodded. 
 
It was a while after Seohyun finally got to sleep. 
 
Luhan decided to stay awake. He wanted to protect his girl from whatever harm that there may be. 
 
He recalled what had happened a while ago 
 
 
Luhan was happily listening to Seohyun as she was sharing something funny, when something caught his eye. 
 
It was something black, and it didn't look human. It's limbs were long and thin, and the round thing which was supposedly a head was black and had holes around it. 
 
Luhan suddenly interrupted. "Babe, I think it's getting late. Why not we chat tomorrow? Go to sleep now."
 
Seohyun replied. "But oppa, can't we chat longer? I'll promise to sleep right at midnight!" 
 
"No. Go back in to sleep right now or I'm not going to talk to you ever again. Remember to close your balcony door and lock it. Draw your curtains. I heard there's going to be a storm tonight." Luhan quickly repeated as his heart beat began to increase rapidly. 
 
The black thing was now climbing up the windows of Seohyun's first storey. If she didn't go in now, she may be in danger. 
 
"Arraso," Seohyun finally said. "Good night oppa, I love you."
 
Luhan watched as Seohyun went back into her room, locked her balcony door and drew the curtains. 
 
 
There was something about the way the thing moved, that unnerved Luhan. It's movement were spider-like, yet at the same time it had a head and four limbs just like humans. 
 
He shuddered as he thought of what would have happened if Seohyun didn't go back into her room in time.