Selfie

Book of Spooky Tales
6. Selfie
 
Characters: Tao
 
 
Ever since he was young, there were two things Huang Zi Tao, or Tao, absolutely loved: one was travelling outdoors. Tao was known to be adventurous. Being an active and enthusiastic member of the Outdoor Adventure Club, Tao loved anything from venturing into weird caves, to camping at exotic places people rarely visited. 
 
The other thing he loved, was photography. The favourite object of photography Tao loved, was obviously himself. Wherever Tak went, he had to snap a selfie of himself. Selfies of himself in the toilet, himself in his bedroom, selfies of himself while studying, etc, you name the location or pose, Tao would most probably be able to produce two or more pictures related to that. Yes, that was the extent of his obsession with camwhoring. 
 
So what would sound better than a photography trip to the well-known Cliff of Lost Souls to Tao? To Tao, it was a must-not-miss trip and he had planned so long all year round just to be able to attend this trip. Not only will he be able to explore the cliff which many claimed was "haunted", he also had the chance to take many many photographs, which of course means many many selfies! Tao waited a whole month  for the results list be out, and boy was he elated to learn that he was among the shortlisted twenty who would be able to embark on the journey!
 
It was a 3D2N trip. The Adventure Club members all trekked along the trail, while one of the locals offered to guide them around the place. According to the old man, the Cliff of Lost Souls got its name from the high numbers of deaths which occurred there. Many chose to end their lives by jumping off the Cliff. Locals reported strange sightings of white figure floating about the supposed mist at the edge of the Cliff. Tourists claimed to have "weird figures" in their photographs which they took, standing at the edge of the Cliff, back facing the edge. 
 
During the three days, Tao decided to go about exploring the place. The trip was more of free and easy, allowing the participants to explore the grounds on their own, provided they do not exceed the stated boundaries. Tao managed to photograph many beautiful shots of nature. And of course, nature and himself. 
 
Despite the rumors of strange sightings, Tao himself never did encounter any of these "figures" even until the last day. Though he was disappointed, he decided to take one last photograph - a selfie - of him alone, standing at the edge of the Cliff, back facing the cliff. 
 
The Polaroid film came out quickly. Exictedly, Tao examined the shot. 
 
Hmm, not bad. Tao thought to himself.
 
The background was captured nicely, with the white mist behind Tao, making it look mysterious. He was smiling glamorously at the camera, his right arm outstretched, holding the camera, and two hands with the "Peace" sign. What white figures in the photograph! Tao scoffed. There was nothing.