Hide and Seek

Book of Spooky Tales

 

1. Hide and Seek
 
Characters: Kris (16yo), Luhan (5yo), Sehun (4yo)
Luhan and Sehun are siblings, let's just imagine Luhan is Korean as well :)
 
 
It was the first day of the 7th Lunar Month, and the Wu family was having a prayer session, burning incense and stuff. 
 
According to them, these items were used to appease spirits, and also for safety of their loved ones. 
 
Luhan and Sehun, Kris' neighbours were bored out of their wits.
 
They decided to go over to Kris' house and see what the commotion was all about. 
 
Being Koreans, they did not really know what and why a Chinese family had to do such traditions, and the both of them laughed at the foreign language coming out from their Uncle and Aunty's mouths. 
 
Kris frowned as he walked over to them. 
 
"Ssh!!! They are praying right now!" He hissed impatiently. He wondered what could make the two boys quieten down. Sure, these two boys were cute and innocent, but sometimes being a teenager, he would forget about the fact they were still kids and get annoyed by them.
 
As soon as Kris left, Luhan and Sehun looked at each other, and pulled ugly faces behind Kris' back. 
 
Sehun sat on the floor behind the adults who were praying. "I'm bored." He pouted as Luhan giggled. 
"Me too." Luhan took a seat beside Sehun. 
 
"Should we play a game?" Luhan suggested. 
Sehun's eyes lit up as he thought of something. "I know! Hide and seek!" 
 
The idea got to the brothers' heads as they once again squabbled to see who would be it. 
 
Kris, hearing the commotion again, picked the both of them up and brought them out of the prayer hall. 
"This is not a place to play. Come, Kris hyung will play with you." He sighed as he saw the faces of the two innocent kids. 
 
"Kris hyung! Play with us Hide and Seek!" Luhan pulled Kris' hand as his eyes sparkled. 
 
"You can be 'it'!" Sehun giggled. 
 
Kris sighed again as he rolled his eyes jokingly. What can he do about kids?
 
"Alright, alright. I'll catch all of you!" Luhan and Sehun clapped their hands excitedly as they started thinking of where to hide. 
 
"Don't hide in th-"
Before Kris could finish his sentence, the two kids were out of the room. 
"Don't hide in the prayer room." He finished as Luhan's and Sehun's little figures were seen running away. 
 
Kris shook his head and he started counting. 
 
"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10! Ready or not, here I come!" Kris tried to sound excited as he made his way slowly out of the room. 
 
He smirked as he spotted a small white figure shaking behind the floral curtains; soft giggles could be heard from him. He made his way as quiet as possible, trying not to alarm Luhan. 
 
"Gotcha!" Kris seized Luhan's shoulders as the latter let out a squeal of shock. He pouted as he got out from behind the laces. "That was fast!" Kris grinned as he patted the younger boy's head. 
 
"Now let's look for Sehun together, okay?" He smiled as he gave his hand to Luhan. 
 
Luhan nodded excitedly. 
 
The two spent the next 10 minutes looking for Sehun. 
 
They searched practically the whole house.
 
But Sehun was nowhere to be found. 
 
The ending of the prayers left the house in absolute silence. As the adults streamed out of the prayer room, it was then that made Kris come to a sudden realization. 
 
They had searched everywhere, except for the prayer room. 
 
With a sinking feeling in his heart, Kris felt a tug on his hand. 
 
It was Luhan. "Kris hyung, I'll tell you where Sehun is." His large round eyes sparkled with mischief. 
 
The both of them made their way to the prayer room. 
 
Luhan let go of Kris' hand as he ran towards the altar table. 
 
Lifting up the cloth that covered the veil, Kris' heart skipped a beat. 
 
There was Sehun, talking and laughing.  
 
Sehun laughed as he waved goodbye to the empty space beside him, saying he had to go. 
 
Kris gulped as Sehun and Luhan walked hand in hand towards him. 
 
"Kris hyung, that took you very long!" Sehun poked Kris' leg as he and Luhan exchanged giggles. 
 
Kris swallowed once again. Bending down and gently holding Sehun's shoulders, he asked in a deep voice. 
 
"Sehun, who were you talking to?"
 
Sehun pointed underneath the altar table. "There! Can't you see him? He's waving to you, Kris hyung."
 
Kris froze as he turned to look under the table once again. 
 
The empty space stared back at him.