Chapter 1: New beginnings and antique thorns

Crystal Feathers

         It was Thursday, 5:00  a.m. and first day of school. Kyuhyun woke up to his tedious alarm, groaning because God, he hated mornings. Nonetheless, he rubbed his eyes and walked towards the window, the sun wasn’t even out, yet he could feel the new day. The morning air of late August caressed his cheek, it only made Kyuhyun smile, auttumn was his favorite season of the year, the season in which the mist, the veil, the mask of the world was lifted, just plain beautifulness. The falling leaves only making it seem in Kyuhyun’s eyes, not as if they were dying, but as if they had lived.  Yawning he walked to the bathroom. After taking a rather long and relaxing bath and getting dressed, he stood in front of the mirror for a minute studying his reflections, yes more than one. There were so many of him, so many fake personas. Sighing he picked up his black bag and put on his big ugly glasses. Cho Kyuhyun was not content with the way he looked, but it was the only way to feel safe. I wasn’t always like this; that was the only thought in his mind at the moment: nothing was like this.

     Sighing again, Kyuhyun finally went down to eat breakfast with his family, but before, he stopped at the top of the stairs for a moment staring at the pictures hanging on the wall; they all held an important part of his life. The colorful pictures made a great contrast against the white wall and he couldn’t help but compare himself with it. The smell of pancakes filled the house, his mother’s happy smile even though it was early in the morning and his father reading the newspaper, they were all picture perfect and Kyu just wanted to take it all in because really, it was perfect. Perfect, but he wasn’t and everyday he kept the thought in his mind, hurt him. He was the blank wall, everyone surrounding him, every detail, even the air were many colorful pictures hanging around him, back facing him. It hurt.

   After enjoying the nice breakfast with his parents, which was full of comments about how they didn’t have a baby anymore, Kyuhyun finally hugged his father and kissed his mother’s cheek goodbye. Then he got into the back of the car and let his driver take him to school.

   During the short trip his mind travelled everywhere and nowhere, he didn’t have much to think anyways, but there was something bugging him. He sounded as if he were in depression, but really he wasn’t, more like indifferent…empty. The only things he waited anxiously for everyday were the sunset, which was his favorit moment of the day and that consuming feeling inside him.

"We are here, young Master." - His driver said once they reached school. Yes, he was kind of rich, but not the bratty kind; sure he was kind of arrogant, but not a show off.

"Yes, thank you."- Kyuhyun hopped off the car, feeling not so ready to start his first day of high school. He didn't like to have a lot of people around, at least not since that day. There was a time when he was a nice, cheerful, bubbly, shy boy. He had a sharp tongue and tended to smirk sometimes, but had a beautiful genuine smile he wasn’t afraid to use. It was so bright. Now his tongue became sharper and his bubbly and naive personality didn't show too much anymore, he became almost taciturn. His beautiful face was hidden behind a pair of glasses and his black hair was long enough to cover his bareness. Cho Kyuhyun wasn't a loner, he had friends, he didn't have a low self-esteem, and however, he had changed. He didn't have his best friend by his side, not that he was really there since Kyuhyun was 13, since that day, but they were still best friends. His best friend wasn’t to blame; after all he grew up, and changed too and didn’t even notice what happened to the other. No one knew and he was fading along with his hopes. Other people had been through much more and hadn’t changed, why him?

   The 15 year old Kyuhyun was still contempleating whether to go into the building or not when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"Why are you standing here doing nothing?  You look like an idiot."- He turned around to see his friend, Lee Sungmin and scoffed.

"Oh please that could've been correct if I could ever look like an idiot."- He answered smirking.

"Whatever. Let's go, I'll show you around at lunch since we can't be late to the morning conference."- The bell rang signiling the start of the day and just as the gates closed a student stood before them. After a mere second he was let in, which in Kyuhyun’s mind was kind of stupid since he was late, but then again would you not let in the most popular and rich student? As soon as said boy was inside the school campus, he was surrounded by a group of girls. Kyuhyun could hear them screaming: ‘oppa, you’re so handsome,’ ‘go out with me,’ ‘here is my number,’ ’you look even more hot than last year,’ ‘my parents won’t be home tonight,’ and other things along that line. ‘s, …’ Kyuhyun thought. The boy just stood there and let himself be dragged by them smirking ever so slightly and putting his arm around one of the girls’ waist he made his way into the building passing right by Kyuhyun and Sungmin. He didn’t even spare them a glance.

“Why didn’t you come together since you are neighbors?”- Sungmin asked Kyuhyun once they were already taking their seats in the conference to be welcomed to the new school year.

“Just because.”-  He shrugged.

“Aren’t you going to greet to him?”

“Why would I? He doesn’t want to be seen with me, he has a new group of friends. Let’s go hyung.”

Sungmin let himself be dragged by Kyuhyun letting out a sigh.

 

Oh how he despised Shim Changmin.

 

Kyuhyun did want to say hi to Changmin if it weren’t because just yesterday he made it clear he didn’t want to be seen with Kyu. No, Kyu didn’t assume. Yesterday he was so excited because he would be attending high school and while Changmin was at his house helping him get everything in order, he said: “You know, I have a reputation in school, I’m a popular hot guy and I wouldn’t want that image to change if I’m seen hanging around with the new ugly nerd.”

“As if you weren’t one.”

“Key word: ugly. At least I don’t wear those stupid glasses and be such a prude, anyways Yunho called me so I’m going to his house right now.”

“Weren’t you going to play StarCraft with me today?”

“I can’t. Bye.”- Changmin said as he ruffled Kyuhyun’s hair and left his room, he turned and smiled at the latter: ‘love you’ he mouthed.

If only you loved me the way I do.

  Kyuhyun knows even though Changmin is a jerk, he is just trying to make him the way he was before, because he cares in his own way. He tries to push him because he knows he is the only one who can.

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

Thank you for subscribing, even though this is my first attempt at writting a chaptered story and my second fanfic, I'll do my best! 

Comments and advice will be appreciated. :D