Chapter 2: Hug

After Happy-ever-after

Here's a bit more angst and general unhappiness for everyone! Haha... If you liked it, please comment, subscribe and vote up! More fluff and self-doubt and more fluff on the way... sorry about it not being really eventful yet... more will happen soon!

 

tumblr_mljq1vBsh41r5tysuo1_400.gif

I'm pretty sure this gif is of Myungyeol... OTL

 

"Go home. Sleep." Sungyeol repeated once more, fingers scrabbling gently over Myungsoo's ribcage.

"Hahaha..." Myungsoo hoped his shrieked giggles sounded the least bit sarcastic. "I'll stay with you." Myungsoo tried to remove Sungyeol's tickling fingers.

"You need it." Sungyeol managed to get Myungsoo out of the door, and fumbled around to close it. "Go rest!" Sungyeol called to Myungsoo. The last thing he saw before closing the door was the boy's sulky face.

Back against the door for extra measure, in case Myungsoo decided to come barging back in, Sungyeol rubbed his eyes, glared at the clock hands for moving too fast, then made his way across the room to start the music again. He'd been distracted before, and he had to make sure he knew the dance as well as the rest of the members. That was the only thing he could do for his team really, he thought with a pang. He wasn't good at singing, wasn't the best at dancing. The best he could do for his friends was to learn the lyrics by heart, and memorise the dance steps so well that he could dance them backwards. Only then could he (just about) count himself in as one of the group.

Raising his hands, and getting into the beginning position, tiredness clung to his limbs like a deadweight, dragging even his heart down. But Sungyeol tried to shrug it off, because he had dance practice to get done.

Halfway through the routine, Sungyeol's right foot tripped up his left, and he ended up stumbling. If the rest of the team members had been there, Sungyeol would have crashed right into Sungjong. Sungyeol ran a hand through his hair, battling the frustration that rose within him like a gust of hot muggy air.

Sungyeol got right up, lifted his hands, tried once more. Only to dance the choreography for the second chorus instead of the first, and mess up the whole sequence of the routine.

"Stop it." Sungyeol stared at his reflection in the mirror. "Get it right."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Myungsoo wanted to stay back with Sungyeol, be there for him. Because that's what best friends did. Even though Sungyeol was now his boyfriend (Myungsoo's lips twitched upwards), it didn't change the fact that they were best friends. He'd promised Sungyeol, way back before they were trainees, that they'd stay best friends forever.

He'd keep that promise.

Myungsoo tried pushing open the door to the dance studio, but there was a weight against it. Sungyeol must be leaning against it, Myungsoo realised. Defeated and exhausted, Myungsoo plopped himself down outside the dance studio, settling down on the cool concrete steps. Sunggyu turned around to see what was taking him so long.

"You guys go home first. Sleep." Myungsoo realised he was saying the exact same things Sungyeol had said to him just now. "It's fine, I'll come back a little later with Sungyeol."

His friends gave tired smiles. They understood.

"Don't stay up too late!" Dongwoo called over his shoulder as they rounded the corner to their dorm.

"I won't!"

Myungsoo turned back to the dance studio, where faint strains of their new song could be heard through the door. Myungsoo placed his palm on it, and pushed slightly. It gave way, much to his relief--if Sungyeol'd locked the door, he'd have to sit outside alone, waiting for the by to finish practice.

Myungsoo opened the door a crack, and peeked in. If Sungyeol realised that he was still up and about, hanging around to wait for him, he'd force him out again, make him go home. Myungsoo wanted to stay here as long as Sungyeol did. He wasn't (very) tired yet.

Closing the door carefully behind him (it didn't really matter anyway--the music was loud enough to mask the sound), Myungsoo crept to the back corner of the studio, and sat there, hugging his knees to his chest. Once comfortable, Myungsoo turned his attention to Sungyeol dancing alone up front.

Hip . Body wave. Body wave.

Myungsoo's tongue swiped nervously across his lower lip. Once again, he found himself marvelling at how good the boy looked. Earlier on in the day, Sungyeol had looked beautiful, with full make up on, and specially chosen clothes. Now, Sungyeol's hair was standing up in messy tufts, sweat rolled down the sides of his face in beads, his makeup was all removed. Sungyeol wasn't clothed in anything spectacular either--just his usual sweatshirt and pants. But Myungsoo liked Sungyeol looking like this more than the way he'd appeared earlier. Sungyeol looked amazing now. It sort of reminded him of the way Sungyeol had looked years ago, before they became trainees, the Sungyeol he'd fallen for.

It made him feel special, being around this Sungyeol--other people only got to see the perfect character he played on stage or on variety shows.

Myungsoo's eyes followed the boy's movements, winced when he stumbled or messed up.

"Stop it." Myungsoo heard Sungyeol whisper to himself, "Get it right."

And then he started the routine all over again. Myungsoo's eyes focused on the boy dancing again, watching the flow of his arms, the steps of his feet, the sway of his hips. He fumbled for his phone.

The reason why he'd gotten interested in photography was because of Sungyeol. He'd taken a picture of Sungyeol once, years ago, after they'd gone ice skating together with Sungyeol's cousin. The image had been grainy, and slightly blur, and didn't really manage to capture what it was about Sungyeol that captivated him, took his breath away.

And so Myungsoo had gone on a hunt for a better camera, one that could enable him to press the shutter to freeze an image of Sungyeol, to show the world just why Sungyeol was so amazing to him, to show the world what Sungyeol looked like from hsi perspective.

Myungsoo had yet to find that camera, had yet to take that perfect picture of Sungyeol, but he wasn't about to give up his search any time soon.

He glanced down at the image he'd just taken. The boy looked almost like a shadow. The room was dim, and the only source of light were the five light bulbs that were fixed in a row above Sungyeol, illuminating the top of his head, casting shadows over the rest of him. And yet--the silhouette of the boy was so clearly Sungyeol, that Myungsoo had no doubt that he'd recognise it even without being able to see the figure's face. The tilt of his head, the way his hands were held, his posture. It was all familiar to Myungsoo now.

Up front, Sungyeol tripped up, and fell, sprawling on the wooden floor. Sungyeol groaned, and didn't make a move to get up. He turned his head to the side, to look in the mirror, and Myungsoo didn't like the frown on Sungyeol's face as he looked at himself.

He sighed, and shifted slightly into a more comfortable position. And then tensed as Sungyeol's eyes flickered in the direction of the movement. Sungyeol jerked, surprised at seeing another person swathed in shadow at the back of the room, watching him as he'd watched Myungsoo before.

"What're you doing here?" Sungyeol didn't even bother sitting up to address him. "I thought I told you to go home? I would have been fine alone."

The boy's voice was weary, and defeated, and Myungsoo got up to sit beside him.

"Fine?" Myungsoo laughed and leaned back on his hands, looking down at Sungyeol, "Look at you..."

Sungyeol kept silent.

"Come on. I think you've practiced enough for today." Myungsoo tugged on Sungyeol's hand, pulled him back onto his feet.

Sungyeol's lip was trembling again, and it didn't look as if he was about to laugh this time.

"We'll go through it tomorrow. We'll only stop when you get it right, I promise. Let's go home." Myungsoo didn't let go of his hand.

Sungyeol's lip didn't stop trembling.

So Myungsoo threw his arms around the boy, and simply held him, squeezing as hard as he could, as if it were possible for him to squeeze all the self-doubt out of the boy, replace it with warmth and laughter. They stood there like that for a while in silence. And then Sungyeol's arms came snaking around Myungsoo too, seeking the comfort the boy needed really, holding the boy desperately. Myungsoo didn't know how long they stood, clinging to each other, but Sungyeol was the first one to pull away.

His eyes were a little red, and his cheeks wet, but there was a small smile playing on his lips too.

"Yeah, let's go home."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There! Hope you guys enjoyed reading this chapter! Please subscribe and comment and vote up if you liked it! xD