No Gain

I used to love you

It’d been almost a week since Junsu and JaeJoong got into the fight outside of YooChun’s apartment. He was discharged from the hospital the next morning after some observation and tests to make sure he didn’t have a concussion. By now his bruises and cuts were healing and with a little bit of cover up it looked like nothing had happened last weekend. It was Friday now though, which meant no work the next day. Sure, in the past he’d gone to work even on the weekends, however tonight he needed a well-deserved drink or two.

By the time the bar closed, Junsu had more than just a couple drinks. Never being much of a drinker, JunSu would only drink a little bit when he was upset. The more upset he was, the more he drank. Otherwise, Junsu wouldn’t drink. Well, tonight he was more than just a little upset and now he was walking down the streets of Seoul completely drunk, singing at the top of his lungs to the last song he remembered hearing in the bar.

Aishhhh this was our sooooongggggg” JunSu finally said after singing a verse whose lyrics he’d almost forgotten in his inebriated state. Pulling out his phone, JunSu stared at the screen with blurry vision and literally had to stop walking and bring his phone to about 6 inches from his face to see who he was dialing. “Yoooochunahhhhh” He said, pushing the ‘dial’ button and then bringing the phone to his ear. Realizing that he didn’t need to stand still to read the phone anymore, Junsu started walking again and then frowned when the phone went to voicemail. “No…that’s no good…” Junsu said, stopping again and hitting redial.

Three rings later and JunSu heard the other line pick up and he could hear YooChun’s tired voice on the other end of the phone as well as some rustling of sheets. “Yobosaeyo?” He asked with a stifled yawn. “Yoooboooaeeeyooooo!” JunSu sang the word like the one song he’d heard in the bar earlier. “Yooochun-ahhhh!” JunSu said in a sing-song voice before laughing and covering his mouth. “Junsu?” YooChun asked and then more rustling was heard. “Junsu, are you drunk?” Yoochun’s voice was flat and unamused, however Junsu giggled a little and then nodded for a second before he realized the other couldn’t hear him nodding and then said, “Yup!

There was a sigh on the other side of the line and Yoochun was quiet for a second before speaking again. “Junsu, I’m hanging up. It’s two o’clock in the morning and I have work in a coup—“ Yoochun wasn’t able to finish his sentence before Junsu cut him off. “AAAANI! AniAniAni! You can’t hang uuup. YooChun-ahh I called you for a reason!” He then stopped walking again, leaning against the side of a building for support. “What do you want, Junsu?” It was obvious he was not amused; however Junsu had to get this off his chest.

Saranghae” Junsu said and held his breath for a second waiting for YooChun’s response. “I’m hanging up” YooChun said again. “WAIT WAIT WAIT, DON’T!” Junsu said, letting out his held breath all in one go with his desperate call to YooChun. “Is that all you wanted to say?!” Yoochun asked, obviously unhappy. “I just…just listen to me, okay? Don’t hang up, just listen to my words” Junsu said, nodding a little and then continuing to walk. When YooChun made a sound on the other side of the phone to tell JunSu to continue, the blonde haired workaholic took a breath and started his apology.

Maybe I only thought of myself too much. There’s nothing that I did for you. But I was only sad and for that, I’m embarrassed. Maybe that’s why I’m being like this now.” Junsu said all that, his head a little dizzy from the amount of alcohol running through his system. He wasn’t finished though. So continuing after taking the short pause, JunSu was trying to make sense of his thoughts even though it all felt like word vomit at that point. “Baby, even if I have someone new, I can never forget you. I forgot everything for a moment and paused. I look back into the memories I received from you now though and…I want to make you listen to the fireworks in my heart that I’ve forgotten for a while.” Okay, maybe he was being a little poetic, a little wordy. But he wanted Yoochun to listen to him. Wanted him to realize his heart.

Su. You’re drunk and you’re not making any sense…” YooChun said on the other line, but JunSu could tell that he was processing what he was saying and it was affecting him. Otherwise he’d threaten to hang up again, right? “What…I mean to say, YooChun, is that I love you. I can’t forget you. I thought I could, I thought I’d be able to move on and find someone else, but I can’t. I can’t stop thinking about you, you’re in my dreams, you’re in my thoughts all day. I don’t know what to do without you in my life. I thought I could let you be happy with JaeJoong….but I can’t. I just can’t…” By this point Junsu had no idea where he was walking or what he was actually saying. He was moving on autopilot. Drunken autopilot.

A sigh could be on the other side of the phone as he paused talking, trying to figure out where he was going with his words. Had he gone anywhere? Junsu wasn’t sure. Finally Yoochun spoke on the other side of the phone, his voice less annoyed and more concerned now. “Junsu. We’ll talk more later, Okay? I’m tired and you’re drunk. You always say this stuff when you’re drunk. I’m not falling for it again.” The line went dead after that, causing JunSu to frown. He’d been higher than a cloud before, singing their song and reliving old memories. Now he was alone again, more depressed than he’d been before he started drinking.

Opening up a new text message, JunSu typed a message to Yoochun. “I love you. Sleep well and we’ll talk again…” Junsu said out loud while he typed, not even seeing the typos through his drunken haze. Hitting send on his phone, Junsu then stuffed the phone in his tight pants’ pocket and then continued down the road to head home, humming a sad, regretful tune.