Charging

Life-Sized

"Lay!" Joonmyun called as he walked into the door. He took his shoes off as he looked around for the doll. He didn't see the other anywhere and raised an eyebrow. Where was he? "Lay!" he called again. He looked around the apartment and saw no traces of the doll around. No Princess Celestia. No leftover dishes in the sink. No blankets on the floor. He couldn't understand what was going on. Lay usually greeted him when he came in the door. Not today. There was no jumping attack from the doll or anything like it. Not that Joonmyun minded, it was just something he'd gotten used to. He put down his bag and walked to the bedroom. He saw Lay on the bed sleeping, unusually quiet. It was almost like he had shut down completely. Joonmyun ran over and put his ear against the doll's chest, sighing in relief when he heard a quiet humming noise coming from inside. He didn't know what had come over him, but the thought of something happening to Lay seemed to bother him. He patted the doll's head when he noticed that his head was cool. It wasn't warm like when he'd first taken the doll out of the box. Joonmyun felt the doll's arms and legs, noticing that they were cold as well. Something wasn't right. Lay wasn't supposed to be cold like this. He was supposed to be warm just like any other human. The brunett got up and he looked around frantically for Lay's manual. There had to be something in there to explain what was happening. He didn't want his doll to be cold like that. It was like touching a dead body and he didn't like it. Joonmyun was looking arund the night stand when he spotted a sticky note on the table:

 

Oppa, I have to stay in sleep mode for the next 24 hours to recharge. See you soon!

-Lay

 

Recharging? Was that all? Geez, he could have told me that. Even if he seemed upset, Joonmyun was actually quite relieved. As much as he hated to admit it, he had gotten used to having Lay around and well he wasn't sure if he'd feel comfortable without the doll's presence. That said, he didn't mind knowing that he would have a full twenty-four hours of quiet. And he was off from work tomorrow which made things even better. He wouldn't have to spend his day off watching My Little Pony or playing silly games just to keep his doll entertained. Nope, he could just relax and just have a good day of rest. Oh how pleasant that sounded! Joonmyun smiled as he got ready for bed. Yes, tomorrow was going to be a great day!


Joonmyun groaned as the sun shone into his eyes through the window. He blinked his eyes open and looked at his alarm clock: 9:43am. He rubbed his eyes and stretched before he realized what time it was. He looked back at the clock to see just how late he had woken up. He never got up this late. Usually Lay woke him up early and made him get ready for work. The boy looked over at the doll who was still sound asleep. He was still charging. Joonmyun touched the doll's head; he was still cold. The brunette patted the doll's head before getting up and heading to the kitchen. Normally, Lay would make him wash his face first, but Joonmyun just chose to wipe his eyes with his shirt. It didn't really matter anyway. He stopped in the kitchen and looked around. There was no food on the counter. Lay had been working on his cooking skills and usually had breakfast and lunch already made. Joonmyun had actually gotten quite used to it and was a little taken aback to see that it wasn't there. He shrugged his shoulders. He had lived on his own for five years so he was capable of cooking for himself. He looked in the refrigerator and wondered what he should make. He really liked Lay's muffins, pancakes, and especially his banana bread. That was his favorite. Unfortunately he would be getting none of that today. He sighed as he just grabbed a bowl, a spoon, and his box of Lucky Charms. This would have to do for today. He went into the refrigerator for the milk only to realize that it was almost gone. Joonmyun poured the last little bit into his bowl and frowned, it was like he hadn't put in anything at all. He ate his cereal reluctantly, wishing that Lay was awake to make him breakfast.

 

Joonmyun was just finishing his cereal when there was a knock at the door. He continued eating, not recognizing the lack of pitter-pattering on the floor. The knock sounded again and Joonmyun wondered why the person was knocking. By now Lay would have gotten it. He usually jumped up before the boy could move a finger. But, the doll was charging which meant that Joonmyun had to get the door which meant someone was still waiting.

 

"Kim Joonmyun! If you don't open this door right now, I swear I will chop your head off!" Said boy ran to the door and opened it seeing an angry Kyungsoo with Jongin who was dying of laughter. "What took you so long to open the door?"

 

"Sorry," he ushered the other two in as he closed the door behind them.

 

"Where's Lay?" Jongin raised an eyebrow when the doll didn't come running from out of nowhere.

 

"He's in the room charging. He has to stay in sleep mode for the whole day."

 

"No wonder he didn't come to greet us," Kyungsoo sat down on the sofa. "So what are you going to do while he's sleeping?"

 

Joonmyun smiled as he sat down and put his feet up on the coffee table "I'm going to relax and enjoy the silence."

 

The owl-eyed boy raised an eyebrow "You're going to enjoy the silence. You know, you've been living with him for a month now."

 

"And?"

 

"You're gonna miss him," Jongin put his arm around Kyungsoo's shoulder. "And last time I checked, you didn't send him back so you must like him."

 

"Jongin's got a point. I'm surprised you're not in there waiting for him to wake up."

 

"What are you talking about?" Joonmyun shook his head "I've lived alone for five years. I'm not suddenly going to be sad because Lay's not awake to keep me company. If anything, I'm happy he's asleep. A whole day where I only have to care about me."

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes "What did you eat for breakfast this morning?"

 

"A bowl of cereal, why?"

 

"When was the last time you ate that?"

 

"A month ago." Joonmyun rolled his eyes "So what? What I had for breakfast is irrelevant."

 

"Yeah but doesn't Lay usually make something really yummy or breakfast?" Jongin said as he played with his phone.

 

"So? It's not like I need him to make me breakfast. I am perfectly capable of taking cooking for myself."

 

"And that's why you were eating cereal for breakfast this morning," Kyungsoo crossed his arms.

 

"Look, what are you two even doing here anyway? Don't you have other people to bother like Jongdae?"

 

"Jongdae is busy," Jongin responded, refusing to look up from his game.

 

"Besides, we're not here to bother you. We came to see if you and Lay wanted to hangout with us today," Kyungsoo stood "But seeing how Lay is charging and all, maybe today's not a good day."

 

"Wait! I can still hangout with you guys," Joonmyun quickly stood and held onto Kyungsoo's arm "Please?"

 

Jongin raised an eyebrow and looked up from his phone "Uh, it was actually supposed to be a double date. Not just us hanging out."

 

"Whatever, we're hanging out anyway." Before the other two could protest, Joonmyun ran to go get ready.


An hour later, the trio were at the mall shopping and hanging out. Well really Jongin and Kyungsoo were the ones who were together. Joonmyun just kind of awkwardly strolled behind the couple feeling like the biggest third wheel ever. There were actually a lot of couples at the mall and to be honest, Joonmyun felt a little lonely. He shook it off as he jumped between his friends and put his arms around their shoulders "Alright, where should we go next?"

 

Jongin shrugged "I'm hungry, let's go grab lunch."

 

"Well," Joonmyun rubbed the back of his head awkwardly "I'm not really hungry yet. We could go to a few more stores or something."

 

"Uh Suho," Kyungsoo moved from under the other's arm "Why don't you go and we'll meet up wit you soon, okay?"

 

"Alright, where sh--" Before he could finish his sentence Jongin was already pulling Kyungsoo to a small cafe. Joonmyun sighed as he watched them go. They were a cute couple and he'd be lying if he said that he wasn't envious of them. He hadn't been in a relationship since almost a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, it had not ended well. He had been dating a guy named Nichkhun and Joonmyun had quite honestly thought that he was the one. The former was a little older than himself, but he didn't mind at all. In fact, he had thought that Nichkhun would be better because he was older. Joonmyun thought the other would be more mature and take care of him. Everything was going well and they had even considered moving in together. Until Nichkhun brought home someone else.

 

Joonmyun was at his boyfriend's apartment making dinner when he heard the door open. He hadn't been expecting Nichkhun home for another hour or so. He smiled nonetheless and went to greet him at the door. The sight he saw shocked him to say the least. Nichkhun walked in with a woman on his arm, smiling and laughing with her. "You're home early. I was making dinner for us, but I guess I should add an extra plate," Joonmyun laughed nervously "So who's this?"

 

"Oh, um, this is Victoria." Nichkhun kissed the woman's hand "She's my fiance."

 

Joonmyun blinked a few times. He couldn't bring himself to let the words he'd just heard sink in. Fiance? But what about him? What about them? They had had plans and everything. Joonmyun thought that he was the one and they were going to be happy together. The younger male looked down and smiled sadly "Oh. Okay then. Well I should go." Joonmyun dashed out of the apartment, hoping they couldn't see the tears streaming down his face.

 

The brunette stared into the window of the toy store. There was a giant Lady Rainicorn plush staring back at him. Lay would love to have that. That was one thing he loved just as much as he loved Princess Celestia. He laughed at the thought of his unicorn-obsessed doll. He had only had the doll for a month, but he had to admit, having Lay around was nice. He wasn't lonely any more and he felt like he was becoming good friends with Lay. Now that he thought about the doll, Joonmyun actually kind of missed him. He missed the constant tugging on his arm. He missed the begging to be bought toys and games. He even missed being called 'oppa'. The male chuckled at how he sounded. It was almost like he was in love again. No, he wasn't stupid. He would never let that happen again. He refused. Though he was willing to make a new friend and that's what Lay was. Just a friend. Nothing else. This was the thought he held in his head as he walked out of the store with the Lady Rainicorn plush in hand. Lay would like this.


Joonmyun opened the door to his apartment and immediately felt a pair of arms go around his neck "Oppa!"

 

Joonmyun smiled as he hugged Lay back  before pulling away "I see you're all better."

 

"Yup fully charged and ready to play!" The doll looked at he bag his owner held in his hands "What's that?"

 

"Is that all you're worried about?" Joonmyun laughed as he gave the bag to Lay. "I saw it in the store and I thought you might like it."

 

The doll pulled the plush out of the bag and smiled brightly. He held it close and kissed it's head. He looked back up at Joonmyun "Thank you oppa!"

The boy just stared at the doll and smiled. He was glad pto see how happy Lay was. And for some reason, unknown to him, seeing his doll happy made him happy as well. Joonmyun smiled and kissed the doll's head "You're welcome Lay."


A/N: Well here I am a month after last chapter. I'm sorry, I've been busy and uninspired until last night. All thanks to the Nichkhun in the RP that I'm in. He offered to be my bad guy so this chapter is dedicated to him I guess. Haha. Anyway I hoped you like it. This author's note is a brain fart. Anyway comment, suscribe, etc. Thank you and Saranghaeyo! Until next chapter!

-씨에라