A Trip to the Market

Life-Sized

What should he get? There was so much stuff he could buy. He looked at the list Joonmyun had given him and wondered if he should really buy all this stuff. He had seen some pretty yummy stuff on tv that he wanted to get, but Joonmyun said he only had enough for what was on the list. He pushed the cart slowly and looked around the market; he'd gotten lost again. It would be better if this place wasn't so big. Joonmyun told him to call if he needed help, but he wasn't going to do that. He had been trusted to go to the market all by himself and he was definitely going to do it. Lay wanted to make the brunette proud for his first trip out of the house.

***

"Ugh," Joonmyun let his head fall onto his desk.

Lay looked over at him from his place on the couch and blinked "Oppa, are you okay?"

Joonmyun looked up at him "No. I have so much work to do, but I really need to get groceries. But this proposal has to be done by tomorrow." Work had been extremely taxing on Joonmyun lately and he didn't have time to do anything. He had even been neglecting Lay a bit, but the doll hadn't brought it up at all. Probably because he spent a lot of time at Kyungsoo's house while Joonmyun was at work. "Not to mention, the apartment needs to be cleaned as well. I just don't have the time."

Lay perked up "I can do it. I'll shop and clean just like the wives on tv do for their husbands."

Joonmyun's eyes widened "No."

"Why not?"

"Lay, you've never been out of the house before. You'd probably get lost and not be able to find your way back."

"I have been out of the house. I go to Kyungsoo and Kai's house all the time," Lay claimed proudly.

Joonmyun lowered his eyes "You only make it there because I take you. If you went by yourself, you would be lost in five minutes."

"That's not true," Lay pouted and locked eyes with Joonmyun "Besides I want to be like a wife to you. They go shopping and Kyungsoo goes shopping for Jongin, so I should go shopping for you. I'm your boyfriend, right?"

Suho stared at Lay for a while. He really didn't have much choice, but to let Lay go shopping if he wanted to get his work done. He just didn't want the doll to get lost or stolen. He wondered if he'd be able to report Lay to missing persons or if he'd just fine the boy in a lost and found somewhere. Knowing Lay he'd probably be in a children's Lost and Found eating candy and playing with toys. Either way, Suho knew the doll would just get lost and he'd cause even more trouble than necessary. He sighed "Fine you can go to the market for me." Lay cheered and jumped up from the couch to run and hug his owner. Joonmyun pulled away "Can you not?"

***

Lay looked around and read the next item on the list "Milk." That should be easy to find. He pushed his cart, that only had about three things in it, until he was able to find the milk. He looked at all the different kinds and wondered which one he should get. He pouted as he sat down in front of the glass doors to think. Which one will oppa like? He tilted his head before an idea popped into his head. He stood up and looked into the refrigerator "Eenie meenie minee moe," he continued for a good ten minutes before someone tapped his shoulder. He was completely unaware of the shoppers who were waiting impatiently behind him because he was all over the glass doors. "Sir, we need you to please move off of the glass doors please."

Lay turned around and saw a woman with a shirt on that read 'ShopMart.' That was the name of the store he was in which meant she must work here! Maybe he could help him pick a milk to get. "Oh. My oppa wants one of those and I don't know which one to get, can you help me?" Lay's eyes went big in a too innocent sort of way.

The woman rolled her eyes and grabbed a random jug "Here, now will you move?"

Lay looked down at it and wondered if Joonmyun would be happy with it. But if the worker lady had picked it, it must be right. "Thank you noona," he said as he put the milk in his cart and strolled away. The doll happily went about his shopping without any notice of the annoyed shoppers glaring at him.

***

Joonmyun couldn't focus. His mind was on Lay and what he was doing right now. He knew that the doll was at the market right now, but that was all. He didn't know if Lay had gotten lost or worse. The doll could barely function without him and releasing him into the world alone worried Joonmyun to no end. He hoped that the doll hadn't gotten lost or stolen. He knew it was unlikely, but his mind could only think of the worst scenarios. "Ugh," the brunette let his head hit his desk.

"Uh Suho," he looked up to see his coworker Chanyeol looking down at him "You okay?"

"Yeah, I just got a lot on my mind is all."

"Ah! Like a boyfriend?" Chanyeol sat on Suho's desk "I remember when I first married Baekhyun. He was always on my mind. Yup, nothing could make him go away. Although when he starts to nag, well that's when I realize I'm really married." Suho raised an eyebrow, quietly wondering when Chanyeol was going to get to the point. The giant man was always like this. He would tell stories of his marriage and then actually make it relevant to the conversation. Sometimes it took forever for the redheaded guy to make his point. Suho was hoping that this wasn't one of those times. "So, you find someone who makes you think?"

Found? More like had him delivered. "Uh yeah, he's going shopping for the first time and I'm a little worried."

"Shopping? Baek, loves to shop. He always buys the expensive stuff and he won't let me go. I'll get the cheap stuff," Chanyeol slapped his knee in laughter "One time he went shopping and he came back with a bunch of stuff we didn't even need. He got it because it looked nice. Is that what you worried about? That happens when you get married."

Suho shook his head immediately "No, we're not married. We just live together is all."

"Living together?" Chanyeol crossed his arms "Me and Baek--"

"Chanyeol," Suho stood and pushed the giant toward his office door "I have work to do. Thanks for cheering me up; I'll see you later."

"That's what I'm here for," Chanyeol winked as he left the office.

Yeah, that did not make him feel any better than before. He wondered if he should just call Lay to check on him. In fact, that was the smartest decision he had made all day. Suho quickly dialed the doll's phone number. Well really it was his own cellphone number. He didn't think Lay could handle having a cellphone of his own yet.

"Hello?" He heard the doll's voice over the phone "Oppa?"

Suho rolled his eyes "Are you okay? You didn't get lost, did you?"

"Nope. I'm still in the market and I'm buying lots of stuff for us," Lay seem to cheer.

"Make sure you get what's on the list. That's all we need," Suho reminded him "No extra."

"Okay," Lay assured him "I'll make dinner for when you come home."

"No!" Suho practically shouted into the phone "Just order something and I'll pay for it. I don't want you to burn down my apartment."

"But I want to cook for you. Like on tv," Lay pleaded.

"Lay," Suho sighed. Kyungsoo had said to be nicer to the doll. "Maybe another day when I'm home and we can eat together, okay?"

"Okay oppa!"

"I have to get back to work. And stop calling me 'oppa' in public. Someone might hear you," Suho took a breath "Anyway, call me if you need me." With that, he hung up and sat still at his desk. He prayed Lay wouldn't try to cook. He really wanted his security deposit back when he was ready to get a real house.

***

Lay had just finished at the market when he saw it. It was Princess Celestia. She was in the window of a toy store across the street. He ran over to the window and bowed ninety degrees. "It's so nice to meet you. Can I take you home?" He pulled out the leftover money from the groceries and wondered if he had enough. He quickly went inside and went up to the counter "I'd like to buy Princess Celestia!"

The cashier blinked at him "What?" Lay pointed to the plush on display. "Oh that. It's 15,300 won."

Lay took the money from his pocket and only counted about 7,000 won. He didn't have even close to enough for the plush. He sighed before remembering Joonmyun had given him something else to use at the market. It was his credit card. Joonmyun had said to only use it in emergency. Well Princess Celestia needed to be rescued from that display. "Can I use this?" Lay gave the card to the clerk.

She nodded before taking the plush from the display and handing it to him. She rung him up and sent him on his way with Princess Celestia.

***

Joonmyun was tired when he finally got back to his apartment. He opened the door and took of his shoes. "Lay," he called for the doll "Are you awake?"

The doll came running out of the bedroom and hugged Joonmyun "You're home!"

Joonmyun pulled away and sat his bag down "Have you--what is that?" He looked at the plush in Lay's hands.

"It's Princess Celestia," the doll showed him "She's the ruler of Equestria. I saw her in the store and I bought her. Can I keep her?"

Joonmyun wanted to say no. He couldn't believe that Lay had even wanted the thing. Wait, no, he could believe it. He shrugged his shoulders "Did you get everything on the shopping list?"

Lay nodded and Joonmyun raised an eyebrow. He went into the kitchen, Lay on his heels, to check if the doll had really done what he had asked. He looked around in the cabinets and refrigerator and he had to admit that he was proud of the doll. Lay had actually had a successful shoping trip. Granted, there were more snacks than he specified, Joonmyun really couldn't complain. "Not bad," he turned to Lay "but how did you buy that plush? The change from the groceries couldn't have been enough."

Lay held up the credit card Joonmyun had given him "I used this."

The older boy took the card "I said this was only for emergencies."

"But it was an emergency," the doll whined "Princess Celestia needed me."

Joonmyun rolled his eyes and sighed "Fine, but never again. Understand?"

"Yes oppa!" Lay hugged his owner around the neck tightly.

"Yeah yeah. Anyway, have you eaten?"

Lay shook his head "I was waiting for you to come back."

"Seriously?" Joonmyun didn't hate that Lay had waited for him but it was really late. He knew the doll should have eaten a while ago. "Dummy," he pulled the doll's ear "If I'm not home by seven, don't wait to eat with me. Got it?" Lay nodded with a pout. The other boy patted his shoulder "I'll let it slide this time. Let's get something to eat, okay?" Joonmyun had to admit he was kind of proud of Lay. The doll had done well today in his trip to the market. Maybe he wasn't as burdensome as the brunette had first thought. Besides, it felt good that Lay had waited for him to come home. As much as Joonmyun complained, the doll's presence actually made him feel a lot less lonely than before. It was a good feeling, not being lonely.


A/N: Hi there. So how long has it been? Let's not talk about that. I feel liked a pulled an EXO move with coming back after almost a year. I hope you guys liked this chapter. I tried to be funny but that's debatable. Anyway, this is just a chapter of fluff and what not. I'll add more "story" next chapter. This author's note is kind of a brain fart. Five comments and anything you guys would like to see happen. Thank you and Saranghaeyo! Until next chapter!