From One Rainy Day to Another

Life-Sized

"Oppa, there's water falling from the sky!"

 

"It's just rain Lay," Joonmyun pulled out his umbrella and lifted it over their heads. They were taking a stroll around town on a particularly cloudy day because Lay was tired of being in the house and Kyungsoo had insisted that they spend the day together. The redhead didn’t have a problem with that, mostly because he didn't have any other options. He was originally just going to sit at home anyway; this was better. He looked over at Lay who was marveling at the rain and shook his head at the doll. He couldn't be too surprised though. If he wasn't mistaken, this was the first time it had rained since he had gotten the doll. Luckily, he had prepared when they went shopping for the doll. He saw the clouds and told Lay to put on the rain boots that they had bought a few weeks back. It was a set with a matching purple raincoat. Joonmyun had to admit that the other boy looked super cute and he kind of wanted to squish him. Not that he would say that out loud. No, he was satisfied with just holding the male's hand as they walked down the street.

 

"Joonie look!" Lay tugged at the redhead and pulled toward a shop window.

 

"What is that?" On display was a doll that looked similar to Kyungsoo, but the label on it read:D.O.

 

"It's Kyungie!" Lay pressed his hands against the wet glass and stared at the doll "Why isn't he waving to us?"

 

"That's not Kyungsoo. It’s just a doll that looks like him," Joonmyun stepped back and looked at the sign on the store and immediately recognized the pink awning: Areumdawo Dolls. Of course. No one else could make anything that realistic. "Come on Lay, let’s get going." Joonmyun turned away from the window and started to walk away.

 

Lay caught the older boy's arm "But oppa, can we go inside? Just to look." He made the puppy-dog eyes that he was sure Joonmyun wouldn’t be able to resist.

 

He was right. Said boy sighed and reluctantly gave his permission for the doll to go in and look.

 

"Welcome to Areumdawo Dolls," the two were greeted by a girl in a pink dress and a pink and white striped mini top hat. "We just released our mini idols collection. They’re for when you want your idol when you can't see them." She held up a doll with a feminine face, center-parted wavy platinum blonde hair in a mint green t-shirt and white ripped jeans with white sneakers. "This is Taemin from our SHINee World line, isn't he adorable?"

 

Lay's eyes lit up "Yes!" He reached for the doll, but Joonmyun pushed his hands down.

 

"We're just looking."

 

"Well it seems you've already picked up one of our dolls anyway," the girl beamed as she stared at Lay "This is our LAY model that came out a few months ago. He’s seems to enjoy being under your care. Is he functioning properly?"

 

Joonmyun looked over at the doll who went to explore while he was talking with the sales lady "He's fine. Actually, he's perfect." That's how he would describe the doll he had been living with for the past four months. They were getting along really well and even though he didn’t want to admit it, Joonmyun falling for Lay rather quickly.

 

"Excellent, well I should inform you that we have a new charger available for his model. It’s a wall charger that you can plug into the port on the back of his neck. Would you like to see it?

 

The redhead sighed and nodded, knowing the woman wouldn’t let him be unless he contributed to her sales quota.

 

After about fifteen minutes they were back to walking in the rain; Suho with a new charger and Lay with his bright eyes still in awe of the dolls they had seen.

 

"Joonie, do you think those little dolls were my family?" Lay looked at his owner who was more than a little shocked at the doll's question.

 

"I don't think so," Joonmyun was trying to think of the kindest way to tell the doll the truth. How do you explain to someone that they were just built one day and didn't actually have parents or siblings? He took a breath and smiled "But you have me and Jongin and Kyungie and Jongdae. We’re all your family."

 

"Oh yeah!" Lay swung his arms around the other boy’s neck and kissed his cheek "You guys are the best family!"

 

Joonmyun smiled and returned Lay's kiss with one of his own. He would save his explanation for another day. Rainy days should be happy, fun and exciting, contrary to popular opinion.


It was raining today. Joonmyun sat at the side of the bed, holding on the doll's hand. He had opted to watch the technicians as they put Lay back together. He sighed. He had never really liked rainy days until he had met his doll. The boy loved to go out and walk around town to find as many puddles as he could to splash in. Then they would to different cafes and just sit, watching the rain fall. He stared at the brunette lying in front of him and hoped they would be able to do that again once he was repaired. Joonmyun never thought he would fall in love again after Nichkhun but somehow Lay had managed to worm his way inside. He really was made especially for Joonmyun. The redhead kissed the doll's hand and stared at the beautiful face he had been accustomed to seeing for the past eight months. Please come back to me. I know I don't say it enough, but I love you. I love your smile. I love how unbelievably innocent you are. I especially love the way you make my heart beat a thousand miles a minute. I'm happy with you, Lay. Stay with me.

 

"Joonie?"

 

The older male slowly cracked his eyes open and tried to rub the sleepiness of just waking up away. He blinked, realizing he was still holding Lay's and looked at the doll who was staring back at him.

 

"Oppa, you’re awake."

 

Joonmyun didn’t say anything as he immediately leaned over the doll and kissed him deeply. Lay was awake. Nothing else registered in his mind as he held the doll close, determined never to let him go.

 

Lay smiled as he pulled away, hearing Joonmyun gasping for breath "You were really worried, huh?"

 

"Pabo," the redhead felt his eyes getting watery and he hit the doll's chest "Don't do that to me ever again!"

 

"I'm sorry," Lay kissed his boyfriend again "But the doctors said I was all better and I would be able to get up in a few hours."

 

Joonmyun finally took a minute to inspect the doll to see how the repairs had gone. As far as he could tell, the doll looked as good as new. He lifted his shirt and saw a small "scar" on Lay's chest, but nothing too noticeable. He placed a kiss on the scar and looked back at his boyfriend "I love you."

Lay smiled and squeezed his lover's hand "I love you too."

 

"Knock, knock," Kyungsoo and Jongin poked their heads in the door. Joonmyun had called them after what had happened. Although the technicians had said that only one person could be in the room while they worked on the doll. The obvious choice was Joonmyun while the other two waited outside.

 

"Kyungie!"

 

"How are you feeling Lay?"

 

"I'm fine. Joonie was here when I woke up so it wasn’t bad."

 

"We were all really worried about you dude," Jongin perked up "Well when you’re back to normal, we should totally have a soccer rematch!"

 

"Definitely!"

 

"And you have to be my cooking assistant again," Kyungsoo smiled weakly "I have some new recipes to try." They were both really happy to that the doll was okay. He had really grown on the people around him, whether he knew it or not. Joonmyun hadn’t been the only one hoping for the brunette’s recovery.

 

"We'll get to all those things later," Joonmyun kissed the doll's forehead "Right now, Lay needs to rest up."

 

"Do I have to?" The boy whined "I want to go out in the rain."

 

"I heard it's supposed to rain all week, we can go out tomorrow."

 

The doll sighed reluctantly, but complied nonetheless "Fine, but Joonie has to stay with me, please?"

 

"Of course."

 

"Well we'll wait out here for you, hyung," Kyungsoo smiled again "We're really happy you're okay Lay. Sleep well." He waved as he pulled Jongin back out of the room.

 

Joonmyun smiled as he crawled into the bed and lay down next to his boyfriend. He smiled as he brushed the chocolate locks away from his face to stare into those glassy brown eyes.

 

"What?" Lay tilted his head.

 

"Nothing," Joonmyun kissed him again before putting his arms around the other's waist and pulling him close "Go to sleep."

 

"Ne~" the doll curled into his lover's chest and was happy that he wasn’t being replaced. He wasn't sure what love meant to humans, but to him it  meant staying with Joonmyun for as long as he could.


BOOM! There was a loud rumble in the sky then a sudden flash of lightning. Joonmyun was finding it hard to sleep with the rain pounding on the window. Apparently, he wasn’t the only one. He looked down and saw a lump that was buried under the comforter. It was shaking and whimpering, making Joonmyun smile a little. He didn’t like to see Lay so frightened but he had to admit that it was pretty cute. He peeked under the covers to see two big brown eyes staring back at him as their owner clutched a unicorn plushie to his chest. He opened his arms and Lay jumped to snuggle into the redhead’s chest as another flash of lightning lit up the room. Joonmyun put his arms around the other and smoothed his chocolate locks. The doll usually liked the rain. Although he probably never expected anything like this. Granted though, the boy was a little naive to say the least. Joonmyun could still feel him shaking in his arms. He his lips to Lay's forehead and whispered "Don't worry, I'll protect you." The shaking stopped. He could still feel the doll holding tight to his shirt, but he knew Lay was somewhat relieved now.

"Thank you oppa." It was barely above a whisper but Joonmyun had heard it loud and clear. He smiled again as he closed his eyes, letting himself be taken away by the lavender scent of the doll's hair. No he didn’t like it when Lay was scared, but he didn’t mind reminding the doll that he would always protect him.


A/N: Holy crap! It hasn't been a month! What is this sorcery?! I know, I'm shocked too. But last chapter inspired me a lot so I was kinda able to write this with ease. I was also inspired by this by this Rated M fic called Perks of Being a Unicorn [It's really good and you should all read it. I literally read all of it in about the span of 4 hrs collectively.] Anyway, I know this chapter is a little short, but I like it this way. I added the little fluff at the end just to make sure you would puke rainbows. Anyway to my SHINee lovers who probably hate me for posting and then removing my SHINee fics all the time, I am sorry but I have started a new fic. I promise on SuLay that I won't remove it EVER. So please give it a chance, it's call Odd. Also I want to welcome all my new subbies! Your love and continued support gives me life. I LOVE YOU!!!!! Okay anyway, this A/N is way too long. Please subscribe, comment, etc. ^3^

-씨에라