Abandoned

Star Academy

Your knee healed after a few days. A faint pink line could be seen where you fell on your knee but with some lotion, it should go away after a while. During the few days that your knee was in bad shape, Sungyeol had become your personal helper. He seem to pop up whenever you needed help. Whether it was for getting food, moving from classroom to classroom, or when you were going to your dorm. He also seemed extra clingy. He would always try and hold your hand or hug you at any moment.

At first, it was kind of weird for you. You've never been this physical with a friend before, whether it was a boy or girl. But, you grew used to it. In fact, whenever you saw him, you'd be waiting for his hand or for the surprise hug attack. You kind of liked it.

You'd never know but the reason why Sungyeol did all this was because he was so worried about your knee and every since that incident, he never wanted anything bad to happen. And if it did, he would be there to help you. Not some random boy. Of course, he took the advantage to be a little more foreward with you. He considered you his best female friend and in his mind, it was normal to do all these things. Though, he still couldn't understand how his body reacted when seeing you. It's like his body would move on his own. His heart would quicken and a smile would automatically appear on his face. Whatever it was, he liked it.

You were in gym class now, being used as usual by Jongup. Your boredly passed him the basketball for the 100th time and he dunked it. You sigh and catch the ball as he throws it back to you. Suddenly, the teacher whistles and makes everyone stand infront of her.

"Ok, so it's been about 2 weeks and a half of training. You'll be putting your practice into use. I'll split you into teams of 6 and you'll play against each other." She starts listing the names of the teams and you can't help but gulp. You hadn't practice once since you got here because of Jongup. If anything, you got better at passing and catching a ball.

You've been put in a group full of girls of course. Your teacher put the boys with the boys so they can go against each other and its the same for girls. No one seemed to complain and you would find it ist but at this point, being in a group full of boys would be no good for you with your lack of skills for basketball.

The boys went first and you understood why Jongup was put into the basketball team. He was fast, quick and strong! When he moved, it took you a while for your eyes to catch up with him. Of course, his team won with little to no effort. It was time for your team and the other girl team to go up. You got placed as defense since it seemed the best for catching and throwing the ball. Just what you were good at.

The game started. You noticed that some girls were really into the game and the other half were too scared to touch it. Some were like you and went along with what they were told. After playing for a few minutes, you were about to throw the ball to one of your teammates when you felt someone shove you hard which made you fall on the floor dropping the ball.

You wince but got up quickly. The teacher didn't stop the game. In fact, she didn't seem to notice someone shoving you. Maybe she thought you tripped so you didn't push it. Why cause a problem. You played for a little longer when you got shoved again. Not as hard as the first time but enough for you to loose balance for a bit.

You look behind you to see a few girls laughing to themselves but you think nothing of it. After all, this is a basketball game, it can get rough no matter if you're a girl or boy. You continued the game till the end without complaining. Though, the pushing and shoving didn't stop. In fact, it happened more and more. Someone even tried to trip you! You were lucky it was the end of class even if your team lost.

You make your way to the changing rooms and change back into your uniform. You hear some snickers from behind you and you assume it's the same girls who were laughing during the game. You're about to leave the changing room when two girls shoved their way passed you, making your shoulder hit the wall. You wince and look up to two smirking girls. They laughed and left to their class.

"What's their problem?" you ask to no one and leave the changing room. As expected, Sungyeol was waiting for you. When he saw you, a smile appeared on his face and he walked up to you. "How was gym?" he asks.

"Harder then usual but I got through it." you say as he goes to your side and slips his hand in yours. You gladly let him and you both make your way to your science class. "You know Sungyeol," you say making him look at you, "how can you get to your class AND bring me to my class before the bell rings?"

"I'm a fast runner! You didn't know?" he teased and chuckled. You arrive at your class and say goodbye to Sungyeol but not before hugging him. Even though you would see him after your last class. He left to go to his class and you walked inside. You saw Changjo, your partner for science, and you walk over to him. You both greet each other.

"Finish up your experiments and if you finish early, I'll let you go." the teacher said making everyone cheer. Changjo went to get your experiment while you went to get the left over ingredients. Your class had to find materials that make a specific color appear on objects. You and Changjo were almost finished last class but you didn't enough time to finish, hence why you were finishing it this class. While getting your materials, you hadn't noticed the snickering girls to your left.

You go back to your desk and get to work with Changjo. 10 minutes into working on the experiment, you and Changjo were successful. The teacher came over and evaluated your project. You were the first group to finish and you felt quite proud. The teacher said you were dismissed but you had to clean up. You start cleaning up when you notice your experiment change color. "Changjo, what's with the experiment?" you ask.

Before he can turn around and check it out, the experiment explodes. It wasn't a large one just a small explosion but it was hard enough to make the material used to get on your hand which burned it. You yelp and pull your hand off the table. The whole class had now stopped to look at you. The teacher runs to your table and checks the damage done to the experiment.

"(___)-a, are you okay?," asks Changjo who came to your side,"Did you get hurt?" Without having to answer him, he looked down to your hand which was now red.  He went to grab it but just the slight touch made pain shoot through your arm. You hiss and pull your hand away from his grasp. Changjo looked at you with soft eyes. He didn't think it hurt that much and he hated seeing you in pain.

At this point, the teacher had cleaned up whatever was left and disposed of any dangerous materials. "Miss (___), go to the nurses office if your hand hurts. I'll send a student with you."

"Mam, is it alright if I go with her?" Changjo asks. The teacher shook her head. "No Changjo, I need you to explain to me what you used for the experiment to do such a thing. I'll send one of the girls. Jung Hee Rin, please Miss (___) to the nurses."

A girl came to your side, you assumed it was Hee Rin, and you both left for the nurses office. The walk was silent between you both. You glance over to her. She had no emotion on her face. You look away and continue walking to the nurses office. It would be twice in a week you'd be visiting the nurse. Not a good week at all.

~~~~~~

The nurse gave you an ointement to put on your burnt hand. It wasn't too bad but the burn felt like you stuck your hand in a fire. She wrapped some bandages around it and gave you some extra bandages in case you want to change it.

The bell had rung while you were with the nurse and you couldn't text Sungyeol because your good hand was burnt. You only hope Changjo or someone told him about you. You felt the need to have him by your side now.

Hee Rin had stayed with you during the whole time even though the nurse told her she could leave if she wanted. You left the nurses office and she was leaning on the wall. The halls were empty. She looked up at you and you bow. "Thank you for bringing me here. I really appreciate it."

Suddenly, laughter erupts from her. You straighten your back and look at her with a perplexed look. "You think I did it to be nice?" she said with a snarky tone. "Oh please, I would rather be dead then be nice to you!"

You were taken back by what she said. You had never done anything bad to her, this was the first time you met her. You were shaken from your thoughts when she grasped your collar and dragged you away. You arrive at a little corner away from the big hallway. It was empty and dark.

"You listen to me. You need to go back to being the little lonely girl you were the first week. Stop messing with all the boys."

After she said that, you look at her right in the eye. "What are you talking about? I haven't done anything to you!"

She scoffs and smirks. "I can see how you treat all the boys. Being so sweet and friendly. What's your plan huh? You want them all for yourself? That's selfish!" A blinding pain shot through your cheek as she slapped you. You stay frozen in your spot. You've never been slapped before.

"You're just a ! The boys don't really like you! Stop messing with their emotions!" She continued to talk but you didn't pay attention. All her words made no sense to you and you were to shaken up from being slapped. More pain shot through your arm as she grasped your burnt hand in a tight grip. You yelp in pain and a few tears fall from your eyes. "You better listen and do what I say or it will be more painful then this!" she said while sqeezing your hand harder and harder. You felt like dieing right then and there.

Just as you thought that, she kicked your knee making you slip to the floor. She still held onto your hand. You look up into her face and see her smirking. "I think I've made my point." she sqeezes your hand one more time before throwing it against the wall behind you. She left without uttering another word leaving you alone.

You stayed there in fear of Hee Rin waiting for you just near the wall. You left pain in your hand, cheek and knee. After a few minutes, you tried getting up. As you stand, you notice a small puddle of blood. When she kicked your knee, she happened to kick the knee that was just healed. From her kick, the wound opened up again. You're pretty sure you also had a mark across your cheek.

You limp your way into the hallway. It was completely empty. Suddenly, the feeling of abandonment filled your heart. Where was Sungyeol? Where was he know that you needed him? You spaced out as all these emotions hit you. Maybe Hee Rin was right. The boys didn't actually care. You were so blind by your happiness you probably didn't notice their behaviour. Sungyeol was just being nice. He didn't actually care about you.

You were so overwhelmed by your emotions, you hadn't notice a boy infront of you, trying to talk to you. You were blinded by both the physical pain and the emotional pain you just experienced. You felt alone.