Teaser #2

Lovely Liars

Hwanhee sat on her sofa not knowing what to do. She looked around the room to find nothing, nothing at all that was interesting. She got up to get something to drink when her foot came across a hard part of the carpet. Her body tensed as she recalled what had made that spot the hard crusty part it was now. She looked up to the ceiling in annoyance, “When is that guy coming to remove my carpet.” she growled as she headed toward the door, deciding to go out instead.

 

As soon as she stepped outside, the hot blazing sun welcomed her as she groaned at the heat. Crowds of people passed by her as the summer vibe was in the air. In the mood for a cold drink she headed toward the nearest Starbucks, excited to get her hands on a cold Strawberry Black Tea. As soon as she got there she frowned at all the couples showing their affection for each other, a bit too much for her liking. Rolling her eyes, she pushed through the couples and successfully made it to the counter.

 

After ordering, she waited in the corner for her drink. Suddenly, with no warning, a guy bumped into her while trying to go to a more secluded part of the same corner she was in.

 

“Sorry!” the random guy said quickly as he turned to answer his ringing phone.

 

Hwanhee glanced at the guy, bowing her a head a little with her hand signaling that it was fine. She watched as the guy answered the call and talked, trying to be discreet but failing miserably, allowing Hwanhee to hear everything.

 

“Oh, Hey Mi, what's up?” the guy asked, unable to control the cautious tone in his voice. He listened as an energetic squeak came from the caller. Hwanhee watched as the guy's face darkened with every second the girl talked. A frown appearing on his face.

 

“Of course I miss you Mi.” he said, forcing himself to sound a bit more happier. “Excited? Haha why wouldn't I be excited to see my girlfriend?” he silently listened to the girl as his face darkened even more. He checked his watch, “5 PM? Incheon Airport? Yeah, yeah, sure I'll come and get you. Mhmm. Byeee.” The guy hung up the phone and let out a frustrated sigh.

 

Hwanhee watched him as he left the corner and returned to his seat, not surprised at all to find him adjusting himself in a seat across from another girl. Hwanhee glared at the two, shaking her head. She walked over closer to hear their conversation.

 

“Shin, what's wrong? Did something happen?” the girl asked, pouting and trying to look cute. Hwanhee scoffed as she watched.

 

“Haha, nothing, don't worry about it.” he replied calmly, giving her a reassuring yet charming smile. The girl, satisfied, leaned forward and kissed him. Hwanhee gagged at the sight as she recalled the phone conversation she just heard. At that moment, her drink was ready for pick up. Hwanhee retrieved it, shaking her head as she took a step toward the exit. An idea suddenly came to her head that pleased her very much. She smiled and immediately put it into action.

 

Hwanhee marched toward the table, with the pitiful couple teasing each other. She stopped in front of them, looking as disappointed, outraged, and shocked as possible.

 

Hwanhee put her drink on the table and turned her attention toward the guy, whose name was supposedly Shin. “How can you do this to me Shin!” Hwanhee screamed as her outburst caught the attention of everyone in the room. “You're really cheating on me with this... thing!” Hwanhee screeched as she pointed toward the girl who looked at her in shock. Hwanhee grabbed her drink from it's place and opened the lid, immediately bringing it over Shin's head. Her last and final cry was the loudest of them all as she yelled, “I HATE YOU SHIN. I'LL NEVER FORGIVE YOU.” With that, the Strawberry Black Tea trickled over Shin's head. His face turning red with embarrassment, complimenting the red from the drink streaming down his face. His whole body not able to move from shock. Hwanhee stormed out the exit, leaving the scene as quickly as possible so as to not draw more attention to herself.

 

After getting a good distance away, she turned around to see Shin trying to explain to his pissed off partner, who was trying very hard to get out of his grasp. Shin, his hair wet with Tea and face full of confusion, received judgmental looks from all around him. Hwanhee smiled and laughed as she walked out of sight, humming to herself “That was so worth sacrificing my drink.

 

Hwanhee walked a good 15 minutes when she remembered something. “Ah, the girl. Mi was it?” she asked herself as she tried remembering the details of the phone conversation from before. Hwanhee thought hard, hitting her head a couple of times to jog her memory when it suddenly hit her.

 

“Crap! She's coming back today at 5.” Hwanhee gasped as she looked at her phone, the time reading 4 PM. She recalled that Mi would be arriving to Incheon Airport. Without hesitation, Hwanhee headed toward the nearest subway station, hoping to catch the next ride toward Incheon. Luckily, there was still a few minutes before departure. She bought a ticket and boarded the subway, taking a seat close to the doors.

 

“I should tell her what happened.” Hwanhee whispered as she suddenly felt a bit guilty for what she did to Shin. “I wonder how she'll react.” she sighed as she prayed that all will turn out for the best. She looked up from her seat, estimating that from here, Seoul South Korea, and Incheon it would be a 45 minute to an hour ride. She sat patiently, wishing she'd have bought something to eat before boarding the subway.

 

In 50 minutes, she arrived in Incheon, the airport not very far from the subway station at all. She sprinted toward it, entering through the doors with a bit of difficulty. “Man, a lot of people go to America for summer vacation.” she muttered as she pushed and shoved.

 

She finally got to a clear opening in the airport suddenly realizing she didn't even know what Mi looked like.. “How the heck am I suppose to find her.” Hwanhee looked around, spotting a family walking toward the exit with a young girl holding a bunch of luggage. One of the people, supposedly an older brother was holding a sign with the name Mi Hi in big black letters on a poster board. Hwanhee ran toward them in full sprint and approached them as calmly and nicely as possible.

 

“Um hello there.” Hwanhee said politely as she bowed to the family. “Do you mind if I take your poster?” she asked as she scratched her head in apology. “I'm actually looking for someone returning today but not sure if I can find her.” she said as she tried to reassure them that she wasn't some creepy person.

 

“Oh. No problem. We were going to throw it away anyway.” the young man holding the sign chuckled as he handed her the poster. “Do you need a marker?” he said as he reached into his pocket taking out a thick sharpie.

 

Hwanhee gratefully took the poster board and shook her head, “No not at all. Thank you very much!” She bowed in thanks as the family made their way toward the exit once again. Hwanhee took the poster board, folding it so that only the Mi of Mi Hi showed and headed toward the direction where passengers from America arrived.

 

She held up the sign as a bunch of people came out of one hallway, looking for their families, friends, etc. Hwanhee held the sign high as she watched carefully, looking for a girl whose appearance would match the energetic voice she faintly heard during the phone conversation. Her eyes widened as she saw a cute yet mature looking girl looking in her direction, recognizing her instantly. The girl half ran toward Hwanhee holding the sign as Hwanhee just stood there, mouth hanging open.

 

“Hwanhee! What are you doing here?” the girl squealed as she gave her a quick hug, dropping her luggage in the process.

 

Hwanhee stuttered as she tried to get the words out of , “Mi Young, you're..... Mi?”

 


 

*re-uploaded

all rights reserved. ©