Chapter 6

Lovely Liars

“Huh?” Ji Eul questioned innocently as she glanced over to the overly excited Min Hi.

 

“Sehun! Sehun is my assignment!” Min Hi exclaimed as she jumped up and down, happy to finally have some information on her assignment.

 

“Ohh. Really?” Ji Eul said, not knowing how else to respond.

 

Min Hi ran up to Ji Eul and took her hands in her own, Ji Eul tensing at the action as she gave Min Hi a small surprised smile.

 

“Do you remember which of the three guys was Sehun? Was it the big eyed one? Or the tall one? Or? Or...” Min Hi asked rapidly, forgetting about her hunger for food.

 

“Min Hi, calm down. You're scaring Ji Eul.” Ha Ni said as she walked over to place a hand on Min Hi's shoulder, attempting to calm her down.

 

Min Hi released her hold on Ji Eul and looked over to Ha Ni, “Sorry, I'm just..I got carried away.”

 

Jinho laughed as she made her way toward Min Hi as well, wrapping her arms around her shoulders. “Just calm down and ask Ji Eul questions slowly.” Min Hi nodded as she looked toward Ji Eul for answers.

 

“Sehun was the tallest one.” Ji Eul said quietly as she tried to recall the names of the three guys from before.

 

“The one who told the rude guy to back off?” Kyo Jin questioned. Ji Eul nodded her head in confirmation as she saw Min Hi's smile grow even bigger.

 

Aaesook frowned as she bent her head in thought, “Why is a guy who protected Ji Eul one of our targets?”

 

“Yeah I was wondering the same thing. We don't normally get nice guys as assignments.” Jinho said as her eyes narrowed in confusion.

 

“Nice guys are always the most dangerous and mysterious ones.” Kyo Jin commented shrugging her shoulders. “Who knows, maybe he was just being nice to try and seduce her later.”

 

“That's a nice thought.” Aaesook retorted sarcastically as she gave Kyo Jin an amused look. Kyo Jin smiled in return as she made a 'it-can-be-true' look on her face.

 

“Yeah, Kyo Jin might be right. There aren't that many nice guys in the world.” Jinho admitted.

 

“Let's do some research to find out then!” Ha Ni suggested as she smiled at everyone.

 

Min Hi grinned, “Yeah! That sounds exciting!”

 

“Of course it's exciting to you Min Hi. It's your assignment.” Aaesook retorted. Min Hi stuck her tongue out at Aaesook in response to her comment.

 

Jinho laughed, “Yeah, that sounds good. We can finally find some information on him then.”

 

“I..I can help.” Ji Eul said softly, raising her hand as if she was asking a question. Everyone smiled at her attempt to open up and speak up.

 

“That would be awesome Ji Eul.” Kyo Jin replied smiling brightly at Ji Eul. She returned the smile with an equally bright one.

 

“How should we research him then?” Aaesook asked questionably. “We don't really know much about him besides his name.”

 

Ha Ni looked up in thought, “Hmm well since we first saw him here at the cafe, maybe we can start here. This might be a hangout place for him.”

 

Min Hi snapped her fingers in agreement, “Yeah! We can have like a little stakeout and see if he comes into the cafe!”

 

“A stakeout everyday?” Jinho complained as she realized how tedious that might become if he ended up never showing up.

 

“It's the best thing we can do with the information we have.” Kyo Jin admitted.

 

“It's the only thing we can do with the information we have.” Aaesook corrected.

 

“Well then we're going with it!” Min Hi exclaimed, completely excited to find out more information and oblivious to the amount of patience this decision might involve.

 

Ji Eul chuckled softly as Min Hi looked toward her. “You can help me right Ji Eul? You're the only one who knows what he really looks like.”

 

Ji Eul nodded her head and smiled, “Of course.” Min Hi hugged Ji Eul which caught Ji Eul by surprise. She hesitated as she returned the hug awkwardly.

 

“You can let go now. She probably can't breathe.” Aaesook commented as Min Hi released Ji Eul and scratched her head embarrassed.

 

“Sorry Ji Eul, got too excited again.” Min Hi chuckled apologetically as she gave her a cheeky smile.

 

Ji Eul shook her head, “It's okay.” Min Hi smiled as she turned her head away from Ji Eul, just as Ji Eul glanced toward Aaesook, mouthing a quick 'thank you.' Aaesook responded with a grin then looked away.

 

Kyo Jin noticing this interaction, decided to question Aaesook about it later. She turned to everyone and cleared , “So are we not going to go eat guys?”

 

Jinho looked up at the clock, “Woah, yeah we should. We're an hour behind from when we said we were going to eat.”

 

“Yeah, I'm actually really hungry.” Ha Ni added as she rubbed her stomach.

 

Kyo Jin laughed, “Well how about we go to the noodle restaurant my mom works at? I'm sure my mom can give us a good deal.”

 

“Oh my gosh yes! That noodle place is awesome!” Min Hi yelled excitedly. Everyone laughed as they walked out the door to head toward the noodle place.

 

Min Hi pouted, “I don't understand why you guys always laugh at what I say.” Each girl just replied with a nudge to Min Hi's side.

 


They arrived at the noodle shop in the span of 15 minutes. Jinho driving with Min Hi and Kyo Jin in one car, Aaesook driving alone, and Ha Ni driving with Ji Eul. They walked in as a waiter took them to a table for the six of them. The waiter recognized Kyo Jin and hinted toward a discount in their meal as Kyo Jin thanked him in advance, asking him to tell her mom she said hi and to make the noodles especially good for her friends. The waiter answering with a light laugh and walking away.

 

“Wow Kyo Jin. You have some connections.” Ha Ni commented as she watched the waiter walk away.

 

Kyo Jin smiled, “My mom's the cook. The noodles wouldn't be good without her.”

 

“Way to be conceited.” Aaesook joked as she played around with her chopsticks.

 

“Nothing wrong with being conceited if what she said is the truth.” Jinho said as she flipped her hair arrogantly.

 

Min Hi laughed, “And what truth are you being conceited about?”

 

Jinho eyed her weirdly and scoffed, “Can't you tell?” Ji Eul laughed as everyone else rolled their eyes with a slight smile of amusement on their face. Jinho shrugged her shoulders. “Haters gonna hate.”

 

Ji Eul smiled, “They don't hate you. They're just joking.”

 

Jinho looked toward Ji Eul then grinned, “Haha I know Ji, I was just joking too.”

 

“Oh. Okay.” Ji Eul replied in understanding as everyone looked toward Ji Eul's more active yet naïve mindset, inwardly happy at her progress from when they first met.

 

Ha Ni suddenly turned to Kyo Jin as she recalled a random thought, “Oh yeah Kyo Jin. When are we going to get those fake numbers you mentioned earlier today?”

 

Kyo Jin nodded her head remembering, “Oh yeah, we'll get those to you and Ji Eul probably tomorrow.”

 

“How about we exchange actual numbers now then?” Min Hi suggested. “We can exchange our fake numbers later too.”

 

“Yeah, better to do that now then never. Never know what might happen.” Aaesook agreed as she proceeded in getting out her phone, everyone else following her actions. They all exchanged numbers just as the noodles arrived. They each took big chopstick fulls of noodles, as their hunger took over.

 

“These noodles are amazing!” Ha Ni exclaimed as she took another big mouthful. The sound of slurping coming from all around the table.

 

“Ahh gosh i'm in noodle heaven.” Jinho sighed in joy as she sat chewing her food.

 

Kyo Jin also took a big bite as she looked toward everyone, “I'll be sure to tell my mom that you guys really enjoy it.”

 

Min Hi ate very enjoyably, savoring every bite as she ate. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a familiar face. She looked up from eating as she saw her best friend a few tables away from their own.

 

“Angela!” Min Hi yelled out as she got up from her seat, receiving weird glances from the people around her. She ran toward the table as a girl turned to see who called her.

 

“You can always rely on Min Hi to make some kind of scene.” Aaesook mumbled as she ate her noodles quietly.

 

“Angela! I missed you!” Min Hi exclaimed as she approached her friend as she gave her a big hug.

 

The girl sat their shocked and laughed, “Min Hi, I saw you at school today.”

 

Min Hi backed off from the hug and looked at her in the face, “So. I can still miss you, it's been five hours.”

 

Angela laughed as she lightly punched her in the arm, “You're so weird.”

 

“Thank you.” Min Hi responded proudly as she bowed. Min Hi looked up to notice Angela's parents smiling toward her. “Oh, sorry for not greeting you properly.” Min Hi bowed again as Angela's parents just chuckled.

 

“It's no problem Min Hi, it's good to see you. You haven't come over in a while.” Angela's father commented.

 

Min Hi smiled as she scratched her face, “Yes. Sorry I've been busy. I'll try coming over more!”

 

“We'd love to have you. Come over any time.” Angela's mother replied with a smile.

 

Min Hi nodded, “Yes ma'am.” She looked down toward Angela and grabbed her arm. “Is it okay if I talk with Angela for a moment?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“Thank you!” Min Hi bowed as she took Angela into a deserted corner. Min Hi smiled at Angela as Angela smiled back.

 

“Haha what did you want to talk about Min Hi? Angela questioned her confused.

 

Min Hi frowned as she looked toward Angela, “Are you okay?”

 

Angela looked at her and sighed, “No Min Hi. I can't get over him.”

 

Min Hi looked at her sympathetically, “I know. You wouldn't be here...If you weren't thinking about him. I'm sorry I haven't been there for you lately.”

 

Angela shook her head, “No it's okay. You're there for me everyday at school. I can't ask for a better best friend than you. I know you're busy.”

 

Min Hi reached out her hand in comfort, “Do you want to talk about it?”

 

“I'm good. Just. I wish I can get back at him.” Angela frowned as she looked toward the ground, tears about to form.

 

Min Hi looked at her friend sadly as she recalled the day Angela came to her running, tears falling down her face. She would never forget the fact that a guy, Angela's current boyfriend at the time had completely broken her heart. Who treated her like trash and left for the states. She hated him for it. She vowed on that day to get back at him. She remembered that she joined W.R.A.T.H. for the very reason to get back at jerks who broke girls hearts, not because she was ever heart broken herself.

 

Angela let out a huge sigh as Min Hi snapped out of her thoughts and looked at her. “Is something wrong?”

 

Angela looked up at Min Hi with big worried eyes, “Min Hi, I did it. I requested him as a target for W.R.A.T.H. I know you're a part of it...so can you tell me...when....he gets what he deserves?”

 

Min Hi looked at her shocked, “Oh, of course Angela. Anything for you.” She paused as she looked toward Angela anxiously. “Angela.”

 

“Hmm?” she responded, lost in her thoughts.

 

“I know you don't like remembering. I actually forgot myself. Since we always referred to him as 'him' But...can you tell me his name again?”

 

Angela nodded her head slowly as she opened and whispered, “Sehun.”

 

Min Hi's eyes grew wide as all hell broke lose in her head. “Sehun?” Min Hi repeated, as her brain started to pound hard in her head.

 

“Mhmm.” Angela confirmed.

 

Min Hi sat there with mouth open. Her head spinning and a feeling of anger, annoyance, and revenge building up in her. Angela confused at how quiet Min Hi was looked up, only to see a very irritated looking Min Hi.

 

“Min Hi? What happened? Did I say something wrong?” Angela questioned worried about why her best friends expression was the way it was.

 

Min Hi looked up at Angela, a burning flame of revenge in her eyes. “Angela. I promise you that you won't have to fret over him any longer. Soon, he'll get what he deserves.” Min Hi grumbled as her hands formed fists.

 

Angela sat there shocked, “Wh-what do you mean?” Min Hi opened to reply when suddenly Angela's parents stood behind her.

 

“I'm sorry Min Hi, but we actually have to get going. You can continue your talk with Angela tomorrow at school.” Angela's mother said as she smiled warmly.

 

Min Hi looked up at Angela's parents and managed to get out a small smile in her irritated state and nodded. Angela got up as she looked toward Min Hi one last time, worried.

 

Min Hi smiled softly as she mouthed “Don't worry.” before Angela completely left the restaurant. Min Hi made her way back to the other five girls.

 

“Man you took a long time. What were you doing? Sharing life stories?” Jinho joked as she poked Min Hi. Min Hi sat their motionless. Looking down into her noodles, a frown glued to her face.

 

Kyo Jin looked to Min Hi worriedly, “Min Hi? Are you okay?”

 

“What's with the long face?” Aaesook questioned as she eyed Min Hi weirdly.

 

“Min Hi?” Ha Ni whispered as she reached out to grab her hands. Min Hi pulled away quickly before putting her head down on the table, face down. All the girls looked at Min Hi worriedly as they glanced at each other.

 

Ji Eul moved closer to Min Hi as she said sweetly and calmly, “Min Hi? Are you okay?”

 

A sigh was heard from Min Hi as she mumbled, “Leave me alone.”

 

The girls looked at each other in worry and sighed. “I guess we'll continue our talk tomorrow?” Kyo Jin suggested as she called for a waiter.

 

“Yeah, that seems best for right now. We should all get some rest.” Jinho agreed as she patted Min Hi on the back in comfort, who in turn just continued to sit their motionless.

 

“We'll meet at 5 like usual?” Aaesook asked as she paid for the meal.

 

“Yeah, sounds good.” Ha Ni responded softly. Ha Ni looked toward Ji Eul. “Are you ready to leave?” Ji Eul nodded her head. “We'll be leaving first then.”

 

“Alright.” Kyo Jin replied. “I'll stay her since my mom's here.”

 

“I'll be going too.” Aaesook said as she got up to leave. “Jinho you can take Min Hi home?”

 

Jinho nodded her head, “Mhmmm. You guys go on ahead.” Everyone made their way out, away from Jinho and Min Hi and hoped silently that everything will be alright.

 


“I hope Min Hi is alright.” Ha Ni said worriedly as she started the car, Ji Eul in the passenger seat with an equally worried face.

 

“I agree. I wonder what made her so upset.” Ji Eul commented as she recalled seeing a happy Min Hi one moment then an upset Min Hi in the next.

 

Ha Ni sighed, “I'm sure she'll be fine by tomorrow. Let's just hope she'll be okay.”

 

“Yeah. Let's hope for the best.” Ji Eul agreed as she sat there silently.

 

Suddenly, both their phones rang, taking both of them by surprise.

 

“Who is it?” Ha Ni asked, focusing her eyes on the road as she handed Ji Eul her phone. Ji Eul looked at both her phone and Ha Ni's as she opened and read the message.

 

“It's from Jinho. She said not to worry about Min Hi and that she forgot to mention that Min Hi and her had something to do at 5 the next day. She said to carry out the 'stakeout' on Sehun without them.” Ji Eul said as she read the text sent to both of them.

 

“I see. Like Jinho said, I'm not going to worry. I'm sure Min Hi is fine. I believe in the fact that nothing can bring her down.” Ha Ni stated as she sat there quietly driving.

 

“I feel the same way.” Ji Eul nodded. Minutes passing before Ha Ni spoke again.

 

“Ji Eul?”

 

“Yes?”

 

Ha Ni sighed, “I know this is random, but it's been bothering me for a while.”

 

Ji Eul looked at Ha ni confused, “What is it?”

 

“How did Aaesook know about your 'secret weapon' thing?” Ha Ni asked curiously.

 

Ji Eul suddenly smiled, “Oh that. To be honest, I've known Aaesook since we were young. We weren't like best friends. But she was there for me when 'that' happened.”

 

Ha Ni stayed quiet as she waited for Ji Eul to continue.

 

“She was there for me when I needed it. Her family took care of my family and I think..they still do.” Ji Eul finished as she smiled a smile of thanks, directed toward Aaesook who wasn't there.

 

Ha Ni chuckled, “I see. So she probably knows a lot more about you than the others do. Including me.”

 

Ji Eul nodded a silent happy smile, “I guess.” The car came to a stop as she looked out the window to see they had already arrived home. “We're here.”

 

Ha Ni smiled, “Yup, thanks Mrs. Obvious.”

 

Ji Eul pouted but grinned soon after. She got out of the car and collected her things. “Thanks for the ride Ha Ni, I'll see you tomorrow.”

 

“Okay. Good night!” Ha Ni responded cheerfully as she watched Ji Eul go safely into her house before entering her own.

 

“Kim Ha Ni where have you been?!” Ha Ni's older sister Kim Jin Ju yelled as she walked through the door.

 

“Oh you're home.” Ha Ni teased as she took of her shoes and walked in.

 

Jin Ju scoffed at her, “That's all you have to say to your sister whose been gone for a whole year?”

 

Ha Ni smiled, “It wouldn't be a whole year if you come to visit on holidays.”

 

Jin Ju shook her head in annoyance, “Art school is busy for your information. I wish I had a more loving sister.”

 

“Welcome home Unnie!” Ha Ni yelled as she dashed toward her sister in full sprint, arms open wide.

 

Jin Ju frowned, “No go away.” Ha Ni laughed as she watched her sister walk away. Ha Ni walked to the living room to find her dad sit quietly on the couch.

 

“I'm home.” Ha Ni said as her father looked up at her and smiled.

 

“Come home more quickly Ha Ni, it's late.” Ha Ni's father Kim Jin Mu replied calmly.

 

“It's only 8:45, it's not that late.” Ha Ni countered as she sat across her father.

 

Jin Mu looked at her with quiet eyes, “Just in case.”

 

Ha Ni smiled as she got up from the couch, “I'm going to do the dishes.” Her father nodded as Ha Ni made her way to the kitchen, putting her phone on the coffee table before leaving.

 

Ten minutes into washing dishes she hears her phone ringtone. She dries her hand to get it when her sister rushes in with her phone, already open to the message.

 

“Whose Kyo Jin? Why didn't you introduce me to your new friends?” Jin Ju questioned as she held the phone to Ha Ni's face.

 

Ha Ni frowned, “Don't touch my things Jin Ju. You're so nosy.”

 

“Excuse me?” Jin Ju gasped as she crossed her arms and turned away.

 

Ha Ni ignored her as she looked at the text. It was a text from Kyo Jin, asking if they can meet up earlier than 5 the next day to discuss their approach on their assignments, so as to not waste the time given. Also saying to bring Ji Eul with her. After looking at the text she returned to the living room where her father was.

 

“Dad? I'm going to go out again tomorrow. Probably a lot more too. Ask Jin Ju if you need something okay? Since she's here.” Ha Ni said as her father turned to her with curious eyes.

 

“What are you doing that takes so much time?” he questioned.

 

At that moment, the door opened as Ha Ni's mother walked in, looking tired from a days worth of work. Ha Ni not wanting to answer her father's question looked to her mother.

 

“Hi mom. How was work? I'm doing the dishes so you don't have to worry about it.” Ha Ni mentioned as she smiled at her mother.

 

Her mother, Kim Jin Hee chuckled, “Ahh my Ha Ni, always working and never resting.”

 

Ha Ni laughed at her statement as she walked toward the kitchen again to finish up the dishes. Her father not caring about his question being ignored and just continuing to sit quietly on the couch.

 

Jin Hee walked into the kitchen as she began to dry the already clean dishes. “Mom you don't have to. I know you're tired.”

 

Jin Hee shook her head, “It's okay. Thank you for doing this much.” Ha Ni smiled as she continued washing.

 

“Ahh Ha Ni, the patient that you always ask about. She's doing a lot better. I just thought I'd let you know.” Jin Hee said reassuringly as she dried the last of the washed dishes.

 

“Really?” Ha Ni questioned happily. “Hold on.” Ha Ni took out her phone as she opened a new message to send to Ji Eul.

 

To: Ji Eul

From: Ha Ni

“ Hey Ji Eul, Kyo Jin wants to meet tomorrow to talk about our assignments! Oh and good news! 'She' is doing a lot better so don't worry and be happy. I'll see you tomorrow~” - Ha Ni

 

In a few minutes a text came back.

 

To: Ha Ni

From: Ji Eul

Ohh okay! And thank you so much. Alright see you soon!” - Ji Eul

 

Ha Ni smiled as she closed her phone and continued to finish the dishes.

 

“What is my youngest daughter up to?” Jin Hee joked as she looked toward Ha Ni warmly.

 

Ha Ni laughed, “Your youngest daughter is up to a lot of things. Always working and never resting indeed.” 

 


*re-uploaded

all rights reserved. ©