A Strange Pastime

Whispers

The next morning,. Sungmin, Kyuhyun and Eunhyuk were waiting at the police station with their manager awaiting the arrival of their leader. An old couple living in the mountains had found Leeteuk and were coming down to return him. They all stood up as the officer in charge of the investigation entered the room, the old couple and Leeteuk. He was still wearing what he had been three days ago. There was no sign of injury but his face was darker, more solemn and he did not even smile at his fellow members who had forsaken their schedules to see him. His eyes were blank, devoid of emotion and the members wondered what could have traumatised him so much.

“Hyung you’re back!”

“I missed you so much!”

“Thank god you’re not hurt!”

The members all spoke at once and jumped on Leeteuk, drowning him in bear hugs. Leeteuk normally would have laughed in such a situation but he was only able to manage a weak smile, a feature which looked odd on his darkened face. But the members understood. The manager was off on one side, thanking the couple for their work and the other four soon joined him.

“Thank you so much for finding our Teukie and looking after him. I quite don’t know how to express our gratitude to you.”

The old woman laughed. “There is no need to thank us. Anyone else would have done the same thing. In fact we should have come down as soon as we figured out who the boy was.”

The manager was thanking the couple once again for their generosity. However, Kyuhyun and Sungmin exchanged glances. There was something about this lady that seemed too good to be true. Sungmin thought that the couple looked a little familiar but could not quite place where he had seen them before and only managed to conjure an image of his grandfather. He shook the image out of his head and bowed politely with the rest as the couple left. May be it was his imagination but the old man seemed to stare at him for a while before bowing slightly and then turning to leave.

“Well kids, we’d better get back home. We’ll be late for the party.” Leeteuk looked completely bewildered at this and the others laughed at his expression as they made their way back home.

*****

The party lasted the whole day and went well into the night. Leeteuk was finally laughing and smiling naturally although his eyes were baggy and he kept yawning throughout the day. No one asked him about his experiences after being kidnapped, understanding that it had obviously been traumatic for him. They would not, however, allow him to rest during the party. The manager had told them that it would be at least ten days before Leeteuk could join Super Junior in its activities again. They had argued that Leeteuk had ten days ahead of him to sleep so partying for one day would be fine. But at 1AM, the manager decided that enough was enough and told them all to go to sleep.

The members either stayed or went depending on which dorm they lived in. Leeteuk went to bed with everyone else. Half an hour later, everyone was snoring heavily except for him. He slowly got out of bed, careful not to wake anyone up. At the foot of his bed, he had a small backpack in which he put all his necessities. He had found it necessary to put a small bundle earlier that day, during the party when no one was looking, into the bag. He now took out the long, thin bundle of what looked like rags and put it into his unusually large pocket. Still being careful not to make a noise, he sneaked out of the dorm and out onto the streets. He looked around to see if anyone was around then took out bundle and began to walk along the streets towards his destination. And only he knew where that was.

Kyuhyun opened his eyes sleepily as he heard a strange sound. It was dark and it took a while for his tired eyes to accustom to the gloom. He saw Leeteuk look around the room shiftily and then turn back to his own bed. Kyuhyun wanted to know what he was doing awake at this time of night but something stopped him. He watched silently as Leeteuk pulled something out of his pocket and put it into his backpack. He caught a flash of silver. *It’s probably just coins* he thought.  But the thing looked too long to be just coins. *It must be a stash of money* he thought. The last thing Kyuhyun thought before sleep took over him again was that he hoped his hyung hadn’t stolen any of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 The "creepy" stuff will begin next chapter

Do comment as then I would know whether I was doing something wrong or not  ^_^