Two

Of Maids & Men

I was sitting quietly on the furniture that I really didn't want to ruin. Everything was in it's perfect place and I felt like I was disturbing everything I touched. It was awkward ever since I stepped in this home. It got even more awkward when Mrs. Kim had force her two sons to sit with me. The one that answered the door sat across me with a flirtatious smirk. He was seriously creeping me out.
 

"Sorry I took a long time." Mrs. Kim's voice interrupted the tension and she sat herself between her two sons. "You said your name was Xiaoling right? I'd like you to meet my son Kim Jongin." She directed her hands towards the tan one that opened the door. 
 

"Call me Kai." He winked and from the opposite side, I heard the quiet one scoff. 
 

"This is also my son but Jongin's half brother." Mrs. Kim gestured. She eyed him forcing him to introduce himself though I knew he'd rather be doing something else. "Oh Sehun." He greeted, but it sounded like a grunt to me. Mrs. Kim nudged him in the ribs unsatisfied by his grumpiness. Sehun rolled his eyes and rose from his seat. His hair was dyed with different colors, sort of like a rainbow and it caught my attention. He was paler than Kai and not as muscular but you could still see those biceps through his shirt.

 

God did I just notice his biceps? I shook my head at the thought.

 

"Hi, my name is Luha-, Lu Xiaoling I meant."  I stuttered and concentrated on Sehun who wasn't paying attention at all. His gaze was directed towards the 120 inch flatscreen that seemed to be interesting at the moment. He didn't seem to care.

"I'm sorry about his behavior, if your wondering." Mrs. Kim interrupted my thoughts. I've been staring at Sehun too long and she's noticed. I used her excuse to cover up. "Uh, yeah."

"Don't worry about it. He's just not as open as he is towards his brothers. You can't blame him though, something horrible happened in his past and he's still trautmatized about it."

Sehun stood up and left the trio in the room not wanting to hear anymore. Something happened in his past? What though? 

Mrs. Kim sighed once again at her son's behavior. "Anyway, there are ten other maids that live in this house. They'll show you around and tell you what you're position is."
"Krystal, come show the newbie around!" A tall girl with the same maid outfit came in and looked at me once. Her hair was pure jet black that lowered to her spine. She was obviously gorgeous and gestured me to follow her. Mrs. Kim took her coat off out of a closet and kissed Kai on the cheek before telling him she had a meeting to attend.

"Ok umma. See you tonight." Kai said before Mrs. Kim left. So he's a playboy and a mamma's boy? Intersting.

The doorbell rang once a few seconds have past and Kai jumped. "That's my cue to leave ladies. See you around, Xiaoling." He ran off but not before he quickly smacked my which made me yelp in embarassment. My cheeks flushed and Krystal looked at me weirdly. 

"Follow me." She gestured and I followed her up a flight of stairs. There were three levels total but the whole place took up acres of land. That wasn't it either, there was also a huge garden (like a maze) and more sights and views that are worth eyecatching. I continue to follow Krystal which took about a few minutes due to the many turns we had to make. I instantly knew I was going to get lost trying to find my way out of here. 

"So how long have you been a maid?" I asked trying to sound girly, even though my voice was girly to begin with. It was awkward and I wanted to make conversation, maybe getting to know other maids better. She looked at me from behind eyeing me and then ignoring me without hesitation. Though she hasn't said but two words to me, I felt like she disliked me for some reason.

"This is your room." She unlocked the door and pushed slightly before the whole room came into view. It was simple but comfortable. A bed in the corner beside a window. A huge closet and a bathroom. One dresser at the opposite end of the bed and a desk at the other corner. The bed had a golden silk blanket that looked richer than my house and Kyungsoo's combined. I was in a daze still adjusting to my surrounding when Krystal spoke to me.

"Don't think you'll get attention just because you're cute and pretty. Kai always flirts around with newbies then he just throws them off like trash." Her words didn't really bother me. I'm a guy and apparently people think I'm a girl, which is good since I need this job. But apparently, I'm consdiered competition towards others. "And don't go around thinking you're all that just because you have Sehun sleeping in the next room beside of you." Those were her last words before she turned back into her innocent state.

"You're suppose to help cook dinner tonight. And you better make it with sharp taste. It's how Sehun likes it." She turned and left me in my room all alone.

"Sehun's in the next room?" I whispered to myself.

 

 

Finally dinner was ready. It took me two hours with the top chef but I eventually understood her instructions. She was strict but nice. Only strict when it came to food though. "Go set the table up." She instructed me and I did so. It sounded easy, all I need to do is put the plates and eating utensils around the seats. But it was harder than I thought. The napkins had to be folded a certain way and the utensils were suppose to be in a certain order.

"Stupid rich people." I whispered to myself. I stuck my tongue out concentrating on the napkin that was horribly folded. "What about rich people?" A voice whispered in my ear and I yelped/screamed dropping the napkin. I turned to see Kai dangerously close. He had his arms on both side of me leaning in towards the table. I held in my breath not wanting to be in this position at all.

"Lay off Kai." Another voice appeared and it took me a long time to realize it was Sehun. That's right, Kai likes to flirt around a lot. I felt my heart beat faster when Sehun got closer and whacked Kai's head a few times before Kai stood straight and smirked before the both of them went to their seats at the dining table. I should have been flustered at Kai's closeness to me, but I wasn't. I was flustered because Sehun entered the room and saw that horrible scene. 

"You look cute with your tongue sticking out." Kai said when I brushed past him to put food on his plate. I felt my cheeks burning by now. I knew Kai was just flirting but... it was awkward.

Soon, Mrs. Kim strolled in along with another man I assumed was Mr. Kim. He barely acknowledged me but simply greeted with a nod. I didn't mind though, it'll just make my job easier.

"Xiaoling, why don't you join us for dinner today? Since you're new." 

I stumbled a little at Mrs. Kim's request. "J-join your dinner?" 

"Don't worry dear, all the maids in this home have had dinner with us on their first nights. C'mon and take a seat." She patted the seat beside of Sehun. I didn't know what to do when Kai pushed me down and more maids came to give me food. "I- uh..."

"So tell us about yourself? Do you attend school?"

"Y-yes. Star Museum University." 

"Oh really? Jongin and Sehun are last years in high school. They're considering going there next year." And that's how the conversation for the rest of the night went.

After dinner, Mrs. Kim told me since I'm still new I should just rest for tonight. I couldn't find my way around when I remembered Sehun's room was beside of mine so I followed him.

"Do you mind if I follow you? My room is beside of yours." He stopped to turn and glare at me which made me back up but I still followed. Feeling unsociable, I started a conversation. "So why is your hair a rainbow?" I asked truthfully wondering why. He sighed and we were at the front of our doors. "Doesn't matter." and he slipped through his room not really answering my question. He slammed the door shut in my face and finally I went into my room in silence before slipping off my maid dress, getting comfortable in my own male clothes and diving under the silk blanket.