Seventeen

Of Maids & Men
"I-I'm very sorry, sir."
 
"Sorry will not cut it," Mr. Kim says coldly. "Those were my wife's cups, passed down from generation to generation, and you were the one who broke them, according to Krystal."
 
Luhan swallows, clamping his shaking hands together underneath the table. "I apologize, s-sir." He paused, trying to regain some confidence. "I was tired and I couldn't stay awake well enough." The deep scowl on Mr. Kim's face remained, clearly not buying the maid's excuse.
 
"That is no excuse. The other maids have stayed up much longer for dinners similar to last night's and they have never broke any dishware," he stated. The maid lowered his gaze to the table in shame. "I expected much more from you, Lu Xiaoling. You have disappointed me greatly, especially since Mrs. Kim even complimented you on for working hard and being obedient." This only caused Luhan to gnaw his bottom lip harshly. Mrs. Kim said that? He felt honored for about two seconds before guilt and humiliation overwhelmed him once again.
 
"I cannot express how sorry I am, Mr. Kim. If there is anything I can do to make it up-"
 
"There is nothing you can do, Xiaoling!" Mr. Kim snaps, slamming a fist down on his desk. Luhan tries not to flinch too much. Instead, he opts to blinking furiously while squeezing his trembling hands. "Nothing can replace those glass cups. They are many decades years old!" He forced himself to keep his eyes downwards. Mr. Kim sighs, and adjusts his silk tie before continuing. "You are beautiful, but you are also stupid." Luhan grit his teeth. "You are obedient, but you are also unsophisticated. Inexperienced. I understand-" Do you?, Luhan bitterly thinks. Do you understand what it's like to constantly worry about your drunk as hell father and if he's even still sane? Do you understand the pain and fatigue of working three jobs when you were a fifteen year old boy, just so you could provide for your father, who doesn't even know who you are? Do you know the shameful feeling of literally begging your friends for spare change? Do you know what it's like to worry about overdue bills? Do you even know what it was like to worry about simply finding something-- anything --for yourself to eat at the end of a long day? "-you're our newest maid and have probably never worked as one before, but I'm telling you; you need to step up if you want to keep this job."
 
 Luhan composes himself, forcing his bubbling frustration to diminish. "Yes, sir." 
 
Mr. Kim narrows his eyes. "Your only punishment is reduction from your monthly salary," Luhan mentally thanks the heavens that Mr. Kim was not heartless. "You may have got lucky this time, but the next time you break any dishware, even if it's a measly shot cup, you will be fired. Do you understand me, Xiaoling?"
 
"Yes, sir."
 
"Good. Since I have a business meeting soon, you are dismissed." Luhan stood, smoothing his uniform over with dainty shaking hands. "While you're at it, the main living room could use some cleaning," he added. Luhan nodded.
 
"Have a good day, Mr. Kim," said the maid, bowing perfectly then exiting his office.
 
- - - -
 
Luhan shoves the vacuum cleaner back into the closet, mumbling about how he was stupid enough to break some important antiques from a wealthy family. It wasn't all of his fault either, Mrs. Kim was the one who decided to use the cups. He huffed, slamming the closet door shut. 
 
"I wouldn't do that, Xiaoling-ah. You might break the door next," Krystal pipes from across the living room as she dusts some overly large shelves containing books that no one probably read. Luhan resists the urge to slap her. He sighs in relief when he hears her exit the living room, heels almost silent against the carpeted floor.
 
He picks up a rag laying on the coffee table, along with a plastic bottle filled with a blue cleaning chemical. With the two items in hand, he heads towards one of the broad glass windows in the corner of the living room. When he reaches it, he yanks the olive green curtains apart, spraying the chemical onto the surface then wiping it dry with the rag. 
 
He only completed half of the window when the doorbell rings, echoing throughout the entire mansion. "Xiaoling, can you answer that please?" Nana calls from in the kitchen. 
 
Luhan sets down the rag and bottle. Making his way towards the door, he wipes his hands on his skirt. He glances at the silver clock ticking on the wall. It is only 12:15, no where near the end of school. "Who could this be..." he asks himself with a shrug of his shoulders. He grabs the gold door handle, swinging it open. "Hello, how can I help y-" 
 
"O-oh, Kai, Sehun. You guys are home early," Luhan stutters, surprised. He bows quickly then steps past the door to let in the two teenage boys and the maid that drove them home from school. They step into the mansion, Jongin's hand carefully supporting Sehun's waist. He mutters something quiet to the younger brother, who nods. "Well, uhm, welcome home." To his delight, Sehun gives him a small nod.
 
"Why are they home early?" he questions the other maid while watching the two brothers ascend the staircase one slow step at a time.
 
"Kai-ssi called and said they were both too tired," she answers. Luhan nods. "It was probably that dinner party."
 
"Probably," he replies. The two don't exchange anymore words as they part ways.
 
 
As he continues cleaning, Luhan recalls back when Jongin and Sehun had returned from school, both of them injured and limping. At the time, Jongin had a purple swollen ankle and could barely stand; however, he still assisted Sehun to the couch. In fact, he didn't even accept the bag of ice offered to him. He only took one for Sehun. The current situation was familiar. Jongin didn't look hurt like the previous situation, but he was helping Sehun and being patient enough to only ascend one single step at a time. It seemed Sehun had enemies at school. Why would people harm him? Luhan knew didn't know him as well as Jongin did, although he knew enough about him to know that he was quiet and preferred to stay out of the spotlight. 
 
In this moment, he realized he was relieved he had Jongin to rely on. Luhan wanted so badly to protect him from whoever was hurting him like this, but he couldn't because 1.) he was much smaller than him by weight and height and 2.) he was never allowed to leave the house unless told to do so, if the maids were on their lunch break, or there was an emergency.
 
A cramp in his arm breaks him from his thoughts. 
 
- - - -
 
It's moments like this when Sehun is most grateful for his brother,  Jongin. He has Jongin to help him whenever he needs it. Jongin knows just how to comfort him. Jongin helps take some of the weight off his shoulders, even if that means he yells at the older brother. They are nothing alike, not sharing any common characteristics except for the fact that they had the same father. Jongin is popular and social, seeming to always have plans with his friends for the weekend. He sometimes gets cocky, much to Sehun's disliking. He prefers people call him that pointless nickname, Kai, instead of Jongin. Sehun doesn't see why. He likes Jongin's real name. Kai is too fake, a mask to cover up his true self. Jongin is not some cocky popular playboy with a mansion and a killer smirk that could cause every girl's death. Jongin is actually ear-to-ear smiles, puppies, and ballet. He is around Kai so much that Jongin sometimes slips from Sehun's mind.
 
But the feeling of Jongin's careful hands darting up and down his body, checking for any physical injuries, reminds him that Kai has never existed. It's been Jongin from the very beginning. Jongin just has different sides and moods.
 
"Are you sure you're not hurt anywhere else?" asks Jongin with a slight crease in his brown eyebrows. Sehun nods, pushing his hands off his body.
 
"You worry too much."
 
"You look like you would break just from tripping over a pebble. Of course I would worry." Sehun rolls his eyes. "Oh, here." Sehun looks up just in time to see Jongin toss some clothes towards him; A black short-sleeved graphic tshirt and plain grey gym shorts. "Those are for you to change out of your dirty uniform. When you're done, just toss it in my closet and the maids will get it later." Sehun nods and mumbles a quiet thanks Jongin
 
He sees his brother retreat into the bathroom in his room with a bundle of clothing in his hands as well. When he hears the click of the lock, he quickly peels off Jongin's blazer. He s all six of the tiny clear buttons on his white undershirt, stripping himself. He then removes his stained pants and tosses all of his clothing carelessly into Jongin's already messy closet. Standing in just a black wifebeater and boxers, he slips on the shorts Jongin gave him. As he expected, they're too big and don't cling to his narrow waist. He grabs the tshirt on the bed, raising his arms above his head, when he catches a glimpse of himself in Jongin's body mirror hanging on the wall and halted his actions.
 
Well, no. It wasn't his reflection he saw that stopped him. It was his bandages from weeks back when he cut a little too much and a little too deep. Even now, the cuts were not fully healed. He never realized how big of an area they covered.
 
 
Jongin, his mind suddenly reminds him. He blinks. 
 
 
Jongin. 
 
 
Jongin.
 
 
It doesn't matter if Sehun wears the shirt. It's short-sleeved and will only hide most of the bandages on his bicep, a small portion bound to be peeking out from underneath the ends of the sleeves. Jongin will see the bandages wrapped firmly on his forearms and scold him. He will have to see the pity and anger and disappointment flash through Jongin's eyes again, just like always. Sehun feels his anxiety skyrocket just at the thought of it. He knows he will not be able to mentally handle it. He's exhausted from the lack of sleep and already overwhelmed by Jinyoung and his crew's words. 
 
The bathroom door clicks. Startled, Sehun jumps and scrambles to slip the shirt on over his head. "Sehun," Jongin starts, peeking his head out from the crack of the open door. The younger curses his trembling hands. "Are you done chang-- oh." He knows it's too late; Jongin already saw. The careless tone in his voice drops to something Sehun can't figure out, but he guesses it's disappointment. He sees Jongin step out of the bathroom with his uniform dangling on his arm. "Sehun-"
 
"Jongin, please don't. Not now," Sehun practically begs. Jongin walks towards his closet and shove his uniform out of his arms. 
 
"How....." Jongin inhales and exhales, deep. "How can I not say something? Everyday I'm worried sick about you, but you're too busy destroying yourself to notice." His eyes soften when Sehun lowers his gaze to the floor.
 
"If it makes you feel any better....these were from a few weeks ago."
 
Jongin visibly relaxes. "That's...that's good." He regrets his words immediately because it dawns on him that if those cuts were weeks old, they must have been deep enough to be wrapped for that long.
 
"I guess," is all the younger brother replies with.
 
Jongin suddenly throws himself onto Sehun, causing the younger to wheeze at the unexpected weight. He feels Jongin's arms around his neck. Jongin's breath, warm and steady, hovers over his ear. He's not sure what to do. Jongin has never done something like this. He awkwardly hugs Jongin back. "Sehun, you're my only brother. I'm really scared of losing you," he admits. Sehun hugs Jongin tighter in an attempt to comfort him. "Everyday, I'm afraid I'll wake up and you won't. It terrifies me."
 
"It's okay. I'm okay."
 
Jongin releases Sehun, who notices his older brother's eyes look glassy. He takes one of Sehun's hands in his own and slowly, his fingers travel up until they reach the middle of the bandage on his forearm. Sehun tries his best to ignore the tingling sensation running up and down his body. "Are you?"
 
"I'm okay," he confirms. Honestly, he isn't sure. Is he okay? "Uhm, Xiaoling, she uhm...took my razors. So there really isn't anything to worry about. I haven't bought any since."
 
Jongin sighs. "That's a relief to hear," he pauses, "..even if she stole from you."
 
"Yeah." 
 
"I'm glad you're somewhat okay," Jongin flashes his wide Jongin smile. Sehun feels his own smile tugging at the corner of his thin lips. "Let's watch that horror movie that everyone has been talking about. It's supposed to be really scary." Jongin's mouth rounds out into a circular shape as he wiggles his fingers in front of Sehun. This cracks Sehun's blank face. Seeming pleased with his ability of making Sehun smile, Jongin's grin widens. "Ah ha ~ I got you to smile!" he exclaims, pinching Sehun's cheek with a laugh. Sehun swats his hand away.
 
"Come on, Hunnie. We can watch it in the game room," he tugs at Sehun's hand eagerly.
 
Sehun fakes a frown. "Brat, let me put a shirt on first!"
 
- - - -
 
A/n: I was in the mood for some mild sekai oops (/ovo)/  heuheu and also, guess what? There will be a surprise in the next chapter!! Well...more like a kind of turn of events? I'm not sure, but whatever. Stay tuned!
 
Oh, also; does the font bother you guys? Is it too small? Too dark/light? Please tell me if it does, and I will be sure to fix it c:
 
-shixiin