Thirteen

Of Maids & Men
 
L U H A N
 
I stared at the numbers written in dark, thick black ink on my paycheck.
 
$8860
 
 Mr. Kim had forgotten to pay me the first two weeks, and the following weeks after that, but he finally remembered near the end of my second month working in the Kim mansion. He wrote me my check quickly, and handed it to me with an approving nod. I bowed, analyzing it as I left his office. I almost lost my breath when I saw the huge number staring at me. I still couldn't believe it. I thought it was a ridiculous amount of money for me in just two months. In addition, there were also nine other maids, all of them receiving about half the amount I was paid. Mr.Kim wrote our checks and handed them to use like they were just simple sticky notes. Victoria and Krystal didn't even blink when they saw the number scribbled across their check. They just bowed and left without muttering a single word.
 
I continued gaping on the way to my room. "Oh my god...almost nine thousand dollars in two months," I whispered in shock to myself. The number sounded insane to me. I knew from the very moment that being a maid in the Kim mansion would surely help financially, but never did I think I would receive so much money. "$8860...." I mumbled to myself, still struck with disbelief. How did Mr. Kim even earn so much money?
 
I decided to go ahead and cash in the check at the bank since I was on break right now as well. As I changed out of my maid uniform into a loose t-shirt and skinny jeans, my thoughts rushed to my father that was too wasted to find a decent supporting job. When Mom passed away, his whole life spiraled downwards as alcohol, drugs, and gambling took over his life. There were countless days and nights of my childhood that had never included him. I loved him and never blamed him, though. I knew he didn't mean to toss me aside and replace me with clubbing and intoxicated nights. He was just trying to numb out the pain of Mom's death.
 
I removed my wig with a slow sigh, tossing it in my closet and replacing it with a beanie. I told myself to wash the makeup off my face before heading out. I entered the bathroom, managing to avoid looking at the mirror. Splashing cold water onto my face, I wondered how Father was doing. Even though he was usually drunk or high, I was glad he at least remembered who I was. Sometimes.
I squeezed my eyes shut, soaping my face quickly then splashing it again with ice cold water.
 
Mom's face popped into my head. She had delicate facial features and a soft voice. Her wide doe-eyes crinkled around the outside when she smiled, even if she was only in her early 30's. She usually had a small, but bright smile dancing on her lips. I rinsed my face once more, feeling my fingers graze my cheek. My breath caught in my throat and my heart felt as if it weighed a thousand pounds. Tears sprung to my eyes.
 
I raised my head bitterly, daring myself to hold my gaze. I stared at myself, eyes tinged pink and water--or maybe it was tears--dripping down my chin. With shaking hands, I traced four invisible lines on my face. It was moments like this, when I despised myself most. When I realized that I was the cause of my father's ruined life. I was the very reason he refused to come home for days.
 
 
"You look just like her," he whispered, pain threading through slurred words. I had let him run his dirty fingers down my face, leaving four faint lines of grime and dirt on my cheek. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"Father, open up." I quietly knocked on the door multiple times. I heard a pair of loud footsteps stumble towards the door. I braced myself for the familiar smell of alcohol to smother me. The doorknob twisted a few times before I heard a clicking noise, the door swinging open. The stench of alcohol washed over me immediately. I was peering into familiar unknown hazy brown eyes as they stared back at me, wide and astonished.
 
"Meizhen," he breathed out, his face paling. "My Meizhen," he whispered. His voice shook, as did his arms, as he reached out to me. Upon hearing Mom's name, my heart dropped to my feet. I forced myself to push the sickening nostalgia back down. 
 
I clasped his hands in mine. "Father, it's me. Luhan." He shook his head.
 
"You're Meizhen," he said firmly. He gave me a toothy grin, flashing yellow stained teeth. "Thank you for coming back. I kept waiting for you."
 
My vision blurred with tears. "No. It's your son, Luhan."
 
I let his eyes study my face. Several minutes passed.
 
 
He yanked his hands out of mine roughly. "Luhan."
 
I nodded. "How have you been? I hope you have been taking care of yourself," I said, peeking behind his shoulder to look into his apartment.
 
He shrugged.
 
"The house is a mess. When was the last time you cleaned it?" I asked him, stepping past him and entering my previous home.
 
His eyes were distant. "A few months ago, I think. Do you think Meizhen would be mad at me? She's very clean," he told me as if I didn't remember.
 
"I don't know, Father."  I scowled at the cans of beer scattered in the floor. There was a massive pile of dirty laundry piled in a corner of the livingroom. "Have you paid rent yet?" I asked while stepping over broken pieces of a wine bottle, instantly thinking of Sehun. I found myself wondering if he was okay right now, but shook it off. I was here to care for my father not to worry about Sehun.
 
"It's overdue and I don't have money," my father replied nonchalantly. I heard the sound of a can popping open and didn't have to turn around to know that he was drinking beer. 
 
I dug my hand in my pocket, pulling out my wallet. I opened it and handed him half the amount of cash I received from Mr.Kim. "Here's some money. The first thing you do is pay the rent, okay?" I handed him the money carefully. "Then, you do whatever else." His hand gripped the money eagerly. "I was going to buy you some food, but my break is shorter than usual today. Please go buy yourself some food and water, too." I noticed him grinning at the money. "Father, are you listening to me?" I asked while sighing.
 
He looked up once more. "Yes, I am."
 
"I'm going to clean some of this and you can go out and do whatever you wish to with your money." I informed him, but he didn't hear me over the sound of the front door slamming shut.
 
- - - -
 
S E H U N
 
I had just changed my bandages and was on my way to my room. Passing by Xiaoling's room, I let myself stop and gaze inside curiously. It certainly smelled like her. Her room was simple, but interesting; Just like her. I noticed a picture sitting on her empty nightstand. I knew I shouldn't snoop in her business, since I didn't like her getting into my personal life either, but I barely knew anything about her and yearned to know at least one thing about her. I stepped in the room, letting her scent wash over me.
 
I took a few steps, then kneeled down to analyze the three people in the picture. They were all teenage males. Upon further inspection, I realized the one in the middle, the shortest, was the guy that Lay had been harassing yesterday. He looked a few years younger in this picture, but I recognized his plump lips and large eyes. The second guy at the right was the tallest. He was as tan as Jongin, however, his distinctive eyes were almost feline-looking. They were sharp and dark, highlighted by the shadowy eye bags underneath. 
 
On the left, the last guy looked strangely familiar, although I was sure I had never seen him. He had a slim face, fair skin, and vaguely recognizable round eyes slightly curved into the shape of a full moon in its first phase of forming into a new moon. Cherry pink lips titled upwards in a bright smile. This guy...he looked so feminine. Who was he? Or was it a girl with short hair? Were these all friends of Xiaoling?
 
Xiaoling.
 
The third guy look almost exactly like Xiaoling, except for the fact that she wore makeup and had long hair. Something about it was...off. Suddenly, I remembered the time when I snuck into her room to search for razors. She had been asleep. I recalled her having short hair. Like a male.
 
Could Xiaoling possibly be a guy?
 
I shook my head. A guy fooling so many people about his gender with just a wig and makeup? It seemed impossible. I stood up, shaking my head once again. It was impossible. Xiaoling must just feel insecure about her short hair. That seemed more logical.
 
On my way out, I noticed a bundle of caramel colored hair peeking out of Xiaoling's closet. I reached down to pick it up.
 
 
 
It was her hair.
 
 
 
Her wig, to be exact.
 
 
 
"Hey Sehun--what are you doing?" Jongin's voice broke my thoughts. 
 
"Nothing."
 
"....What is that in your hand?" He stepped forward to try to get a better look at the wig I was holding since he was in the hallway and couldn't see into the closet from his angle. I tossed the wig back where I found it, shutting the closet door after.
 
"It's nothing."