That Thin Line is Gone

That Thin Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
    Shin Hye's House
7 p.m.

 

“Unni.” Seohyun was in her living room crying. Her eyes were so red. Even her whole face was red too.

 

“Seohyun.” Shin Hye was surprised. “What’s wrong?”

 

 

“Oppa… he wants to break up with me.”

 

Shin Hye didn’t know what she needed to do first:

 

 

Hug the crying Seohyun - she obviously needs that.
 

Get her a glass of water – Seohyun must be dehydrated by now, from all the tears that she must’ve cried. Her eyes and face said it all.

 

Or get herself a glass of water – to calm herself from the shock of what she just heard. It was too much, she can barely move.
 

Or call the culprit, Jung Yonghwa. – No explanation needed for that.

 

 

Shin Hye sat beside her and hugged her (she chose the first option), “Stop crying, and tell me. What happened? Shhhh. Stop crying, Joohyunnie... Tell me, what happened.”

 

 

And she acted like a true Unni that she is.

 

“Oppa… Oppa… said he has no feelings for me anymore.” Seohyun said in between her loud cries, “He said, he tried hard to save whatever feelings he has left for me. But he couldn’t feel a thing for me anymore. And this has been going on for awhile now.”

 

Shin Hye could feel her heartbeat. She knew this was coming. Yonghwa was spending too much time with her lately.

 

 

Too much time meant all the time.
 

 

Shin Hye would often ask him what happened of supposedly Seohyun’s jealousy towards her. Yonghwa admitted that Seohyun had become jealous of Shin Hye lately. She never was; until Shin Hye and Yonghwa had a rift and the SNSD maknae had a taste on how was it having Yonghwa alone by herself.

 

She had loved every second of it and vowed she isn’t sharing her boyfriend with his best friend, Park Shin Hye anymore.

 

Too bad for Seohyun, they made up and things went back to how they are. Yonghwa went back to that person whom he’d always rather be with, anytime of the day. And more unluckily (again for Seohyun), Yonghwa decided to be a lot more affectionate to Shin Hye, than he is now.

 

 

Shin Hye would ask Yonghwa why he spends all his free time with her. He also films his own drama, ‘Marry Me, If You Dare’ and CNBlue is still busy with their activities both in and outside Korea.

 

He’s one busy person, yet he makes time for her. During her own filming, Yonghwa would often wait for her, in case he’s free. Shin Hye would often catch him falling asleep in the car, with his own drama script in his hand. He would pretend that he hadn’t fallen asleep if he senses Shin Hye had arrived. He would never show that he’s tired when Shin Hye’s there, because she would complain and rant that he need not bother see her if he was tired.

 

But, as always, Shin Hye can read him. And she saw that change and she is in denial that Yonghwa is at it again. He is crossing that thin line again. And she would never get a decent answer when she asks about Seohyun. He either changes the topic or he keeps quiet.

 

Shin Hye feels scared and what is different this time, she feels comfortable that Yonghwa is being like that.

 

Then she felt scared, that she is comfortable that Yonghwa is being like that. .

 

He calls her up everyday now, asking where she is, if she is already home. That is, if he didn’t drive her home. He does that before too; but not as frequent as he does now. He sends her favorite food on the set of her drama.

 

Yonghwa does boyfriend things to her.

 

Shin Hye’s gotten scared but she likes them. And it’s the first time that she feels this way. Whenever Yonghwa does this stuff to her before, when he attempts to cross that thin line, she shuns him away; she shuts him off right away. But not now.

 

Shin Hye doesn’t stop him.
She doesn’t even push him away.
She is letting him woo her.
And she doesn’t run away like she used to.

 

And Yonghwa can feel that.

 

When he doesn’t call her, she calls him. She worries when he doesn’t ask her where she is.

 

They jogged one night by the Han River, Yonghwa took her hand. It wasn’t something new; they’ve held hands before. Heck, they’ve kissed on the lips so many times. But this time, there was electricity, and it was awkward. They both knew it because they looked at each other when Yonghwa’s hand held hers. Few more steps and their fingers interlocked. They didn’t talk afterwards nor they didn’t look at each other anymore. They kept walking, holding each other’s hands.

 

They were never awkward.
Jung Yonghwa and Park Shin Hye.

 

If Yoon Shi-Yoon didn’t call Shin Hye that night, it could’ve been more awkward. And they can read each other, remember? They need not speak in words to state the obvious. And more obviously than ever now, Yonghwa had taken a great leap too in his relationship with Seohyun.

 

“Do you want me to talk to him?” Shin Hye offered. Honestly, she doesn’t want to. It’s the last thing that she would want to do in all honesty.

 

Confronting Yonghwa about his love life is confronting her own.

 

No way; she was telling herself. That is suicide. But Seohyun is not there in her house just to vent or let Shin Hye know she is capable of shedding too much tears. She’s there of course to seek help from her.

 

Jung Yonghwa listens to whom again?
And Seohyun knows that’s why she’s there, eating her pride and her tears, asking for help.
Seohyun knows exactly to whom she should she go to.

 

That one person Jung Yonghwa listens to.

 

“Please, Unni.” Seohyun was still crying. “Please.”

 

Shin Hye swallowed hard and sighed, she is left with no choice. “Alright, I’ll talk to that jerk. I’ll see what’s wrong with him.”

 

What’s wrong with him?
Of course she knew.

 

Shin Hye knew very well.
With every word that she spoke to Seohyun, her heart beat faster and faster.
She can’t escape anymore.
She needed to talk to him and face him.

 

It’s time.

 

“I’ll talk to him.” She repeated, “I’ll see what I can do.”

 

Seohyun finally smiled and hugged her.

 

It’s the last time that she did.

 

 

 

“What’s inside this bag?” Yonghwa smiled as he got Shin Hye’s bag from her. He pretended to be having a difficult time carrying it. “It’s too heavy.”

 

She pouted, “Aigoo let me have it. You’re so useless.”

 

“Tsk.” Yonghwa pulled her bag away from her, “You must be really tired, aren’t you? You don’t recognize when I’m joking and when I’m not.”

 

Yonghwa then put his arms on her shoulders and pulled her closer to her. They were walking towards his car about to have dinner. He drove to pick her at the filming site of her drama; he too, just finished filming his own parts of his own small screen comeback. It was almost eight in the evening, and Yonghwa was tired himself, being on the set for almost the whole day, yet he made time to see her and eat with her that night.

 

He can’t let the day pass without seeing her. It’s how it is now.

 

Yes.
You read that one damn right.

 

Even if it’s just one hi, one good morning, or to say good night, he sees her.
Jung Yonghwa sees Park Shin Hye every day.

 

Every freaking day.

 

There was one time he had to film again in Jeju, he flew back to Seoul in the afternoon and to bring her coffee on the set, then flew back to Jeju again. Thank goodness for hourly flights from Seoul to Jeju. He went back to Jeju afterwards.

 

“Yonghwa” Shin Hye told him inside the car, “Let’s just buy some food and eat it in your dorm.”

 

In CNBlue’s dorm.
Shin Hye wanted to go to the boys’ dorm.

 

Yonghwa got it right away.

 

They will talk.
And it’s safer where there are other people in the next room. And their dorm is the best and safest place to be.

 

“Let’s go to your house instead.” But Yonghwa had other plans, and he knew Shin Hye would know it too.

 

Oh damn.
Here we go.

 

“Dorm.” Shin Hye insisted without looking at him.

 

Yonghwa drove the car; of course the driver had the control of the steering wheel, he directed it where he wanted to go. Shin Hye could just sigh and shake her head. Yonghwa stopped to buy food on their favorite restaurant and didn’t even bother asking Shin Hye what she wanted.

 

Yes, they may be that close, but she might have preferred a different dish that night. He looked too serious when he returned to his car, which made the waiting Shin Hye scared. She sensed that the night is going to be intense, therefore she need not care whatever food Yonghwa got for her. What for? She might not be able to eat anyway.

 

 

Shin Hye's House
8 p.m.

 

They ate in silence when they got home.

 

Sorry.
Make that, he ate in silence when they got home.


Shin Hye could barely eat. She would take in small bites and it would take her forever to chew those small portions that she had put in . She was too uncomfortable and uneasy as if she was about to go into battle. Yonghwa, was the same, but he was a smarter soldier; stuffing himself up because he was going into battle.

 

They are not speaking with each other.
This time silence was uncomfortable, unlike before.

 

Holy cow.

 

The few unintentional eye contacts were too awkward, too meaningful.
 

That’s how it is when you avoid each other.
That’s how it is when you can read each other.
That’s how it is when you can feel each other.
That’s how it is when you can read between the lines.
 

That’s how it is when you’re that close.

 

Damn.

 

“Is there something that you would like to tell me?” Yonghwa stood up from the dining table. He got up to get another pitcher of water. “We’re too awkward. It’s killing me.”

 

It’s killing me.
Damn.

 

She stayed silent.

 

Yonghwa went back to table and looked at her straight into the eyes now. He realized there’s no point in beating around the bushes, he has no intentions of running away from her anyway.

 

“Park Shin Hye…”

 

“Your girlfriend came to see me.” Shin Hye returned his look with a serious stare of her own. “And asked for my help. She wanted me to talk to you. Seohyun’s devastated, Yong.”

 

“Ex-girlfriend.”

 

Ex-girlfriend.

 

Seohyun is now an ex-girlfriend.
Number Five.
Part of Jung Yonghwa’s past.

 

“Yonghwa!!!” The soft stare seconds ago became a glare, “Could you just, for one second, try to think things over before you act.”

 

“I’ve never acted rashly or impulsively in that aspect of my life, Shin Hye.” Yonghwa leaned closer, “You and I both know that. I’m quite surprised I’m hearing those words from you.”

 

Darn right.


Yonghwa is a man who follows his heart, yes, but would somehow use his head too. He learned that with Shin Hye. Because if he always used his heart, then he must’ve crossed that thin line years back. He is the type of guy who wouldn’t hurt girls easily as well. But don’t try and hurt that girl named Park Shin Hye, no amount of reason can make Yonghwa use his head, he would not accept that.

 

 

“Why?” Shin Hye asked softly.

 

Deadly question.
She knew the answer.

 

“Why?” Yonghwa repeated. “You want me to answer?”

 

Shin Hye shook her head.

 

Then Yonghwa nodded. He gathered the empty rice boxes from the table and threw it in the trash bin. Shin Hye just watched him clean the table. She was too nervous to move, too panicky to help him.

 

Everything else was too obvious now. He need not put it in words and she need not ask.  They’re back in the cross roads. The thin line is so glaring, as if calling them to cross over. And unlike those similar situations they had like these, Shin Hye had the courage to walk away, shut him off and turn him down. She didn’t feel nervous and she had always felt she was strong enough to say no.

 

But not this time.

 

“I’m going.” Yonghwa said as soon as he came out of the bathroom, after he had brushed his teeth. “Goodnight.”

 

He didn’t even come closer to her. He stood by the door when he spoke, while she was there in the living room, staring blankly at the unopened television. Shin Hye brushed her teeth in the kitchen sink which was unusual. She and Yonghwa would usually do it the same time in her bathroom, fighting over the sink. She had to rush to get her toothbrush though.

 

“Goodnight.” Shin Hye sheepishly told him, “Send me a message when you get home.”

 

Yonghwa was at the door for the longest time. He was not moving. Shin Hye noticed she didn’t hear the door opened so she stood up and see if Yonghwa had left or not. She found him there standing, as if waiting for her.

 

“I’ve made up my mind…” Yonghwa was serious, “Either you take me as man and we cross that thin line or you lose me altogether.”

 

She wanted to practice selective hearing, she wants to hear what words she just wants to, but she heard everything.

 

 

 

 

E v e r y t h i n g.

 

 

 

Every single thing.

 

 

And this is so different from his previous confessions. Yonghwa never, ever, gave her that ultimatum. That he’d disappear from her life just in case she didn’t want to be more than best friends. Some might think he’s blackmailing her, but Shin Hye knows better than that; she knows Yonghwa. He’s means it; and Shin Hye knew he is very, very, very serious.

 

Very, very, very serious…

 

With her.

 

Awwww.


But Shin Hye didn’t know if she wanted to cry.
 

 

“I’m tired… I’m tired being your best friend.” He didn’t flinch when he added, “And I’m tired holding back these feelings.”

 

 

He was standing closer to her now, his eyes looking straight in to hers.

 

“Yong.” Shin Hye softly spoke, still wanting to bargain some more, “We can’t do this. We can’t cross that thin line.”

 

“That thin line?” Yonghwa asked.

 

Shin Hye nodded.

 

“There has never been that thin line for me when it comes to you.” Yonghwa’s voice almost trailed off. “If there was, I’ve already crossed over.”

 

Bam.


There goes the romantic Jung Yonghwa confessing to the real love of his life.

 

The love and the life.
You can’t have them as two different persons.

 

Moment of truth.

 

No turning back.


If they cross that thin line, there’s no going back.
Touch move.
No ‘undo’ button.
Can’t erase it.
No ‘back’ button.

 

“I’m in love with you… I love you, Shin Hye…” Yonghwa told her, and then he bit his lip. “I love you more than a best friend… I love you as a man… I love you the way Shi-Yoon Hyung does, I’m sure I love you more than he does… I tried to fight it because I knew you’d get mad and we’ve been friends for so long. You’re my best friend. I tried Park Shin Hye. I tried, but I couldn’t fight it any longer.”

 

He tried, Shin Hye.
Yonghwa said it thrice.
And for goodness sake, let’s not count how many ‘love’s’ are there in what he just said, shall we?

 

Then she started to cry and she hit him.

 

“You just ruined our friendship Jung Yonghwa.” Shin Hye cried, her tears were unstoppable, “Pabo, you ruined us.”

 

He had no choice but to nod. She was right. Crossing over that thin line meant its friendship over. They’ve talked about that so many, many times they’ve lost count. But like what he had said, he did his part. He tried all means but he just couldn’t look at her as a best friend anymore.

 

And he is in love with her.
 

In love.

 

Yonghwa held his breath and waited for her to speak some more. “If I say yes, you say yes, right? When you say no, I do the same right?”

 

Yonghwa can hear his heartbeat.
He had heard this before.
When Shin Hye had rejected him a lot of times.

 

Then Shin Hye wiped her tears.

 

“But when you say I love you, I don’t say I love you, I say I love you too.” Shin Hye finally smiled.

 

Damn.

 

Go find that thin line.
It’s gone.

 

That thin line is gone.

 

“I’m in love with you too.” She added, her smile was still on her face, “Friendship’s over right?”

 

Yonghwa didn’t say anything anymore of course. He pulled her in for a very tight hug, while Shin Hye held on to him tightly too. And that hug felt so warm and so right. They stayed that way for a quite a long time too before Yonghwa broke that embrace and kissed her forehead.

 

“We should’ve done this a long time ago.” He smiled sweetly at her.

 

She hit his arm. “I still have a boyfriend.”

 

Oh crap.
Yoon Shi-Yoon.

 

But then Yonghwa kissed her.
And she kissed him back.
While they held each other.

 

No more thin line.

 

They’ve kissed before, so it wouldn’t count as the ‘first kiss’
But romantically, it is their first one.

 

Passionate, longing, romantic, and sweet.


They had to catch their breaths when they stopped and Yonghwa planted few sweet kisses on her lips afterwards. In between those kisses were equally sweet smiles saying, ‘no regrets’ at all.

 

“You have a boyfriend.” Yonghwa smiled as he kissed her again, “You’re kissing him.”

 

Awww.

 

“Yong.” She couldn’t help but smile. “I need to talk to him first.”

 

“What would you tell him?” He was teasing her.

 

“I don’t know.” Shin Hye shrugged.

 

“What you don’t know?” Yonghwa laughed.

 

“What do I tell--?” Shin Hye didn’t even finish her question because Yonghwa kissed her again.

 

“Tell him, ‘Oppa, I told Yonghwa, ‘I’ve made up my mind, either you take me as woman and we cross that thin line or you lose me altogether.’” Yonghwa used his lines. He laughed when he told Shin Hye what to tell Yoon Shi Yoon. He even reenacted his seriousness, with the same emotions, mimicking Shin Hye’s voice.

 

“You jerk!!!” Shin Hye hit him hard in his arms.

 

Yonghwa was laughing really hard while he rubbed his arms. “Tell him everything. Tell him that we don’t plan to pull out something like what his Noona’s friends did. You know, those best friends who got married to each other?”

 

Right. Yoon Shi-Yoon’s Noona’s best friends who got married. But the girl was supposed to get married to someone else that day and her best friend whisk her away and they ended up getting married.

 

“Tell Hyung that’s not going to happen.” Yonghwa told Shin Hye, “If you get married, I’ll be at the altar waiting for you as the groom not as the best man. I promise you that.”

 

What makes Jung Yonghwa hotter again?

 

The way he sings?
The way he plays his guitar?
The way he gives fan service?

 

For his fans, maybe.

 

For those people who knew him, it’s the way he keeps his promises.
The way he keeps his word.

 

Damn you, Jung Yonghwa.
Why promise that?

 

You just broke a lot of hearts.

 

“I don’t know Yong.”

 

“You don’t know?” He was suppressing his laughter, “You want me to tell him?”

 

“Let’s keep this between the two of us for the mean time.” Shin Hye asked of him. “Please. I will break up with him. I will.”

 

“You better.” He smiled, “Or else, I will tell everyone you are my girlfriend. Not just my friends, but I will tell the public.”

 

“Yonghwa!!!!”

 

“Everyone thinks so anyway.” Yonghwa told her. “Everyone believes you are my girlfriend; now that you are, it’s just confirming what they have believed in for years.”

 

“You are impossible.” She shot. “Go home.”

 

“I am home.” He pulled her for another hug. “Can I stay?”

 

“No.” She shook her head when they pulled out from that hug, “Not today.”

 

No.
Not today.
They’re too emotional.


Too soon.

 

He got it and nodded.

 

“Arasso.” He put his hands in his pocket. “I’m going… goodnight.”

 

For the second time that evening, he said ‘I’m going and goodnight’.

 

“Goodnight.” Shin Hye said and smiled, “Send me a message when you get home.”

 

And she replied with exactly the same words.

 

“You can leave now…” Shin Hye pointed at the door.

 

Yonghwa just smiled. He had no intentions of leaving actually; the door was good three steps away. All those intense, sweet and romantic moments happened by the door. The door was the ultimate witness on how Yonghwa and Shin Hye finally crossed over that thin line. If it could talk, it would’ve probably screamed out of giddiness, called Seohyun or Shi-Yoon, or covered its eyes when the two passionately kissed.

 

And that same door could’ve probably called Yonghwa, a handsome se

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter