Goodbye and Letting Go... and Oh.

That Thin Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“I have a girlfriend.” Yonghwa smiled wide.

 

Cameras flashed; Photographers just had to capture that precious moment. Yonghwa and his beautiful smile and his equally expressive smiling eyes.

 

And he just admitted he has a girlfriend.

 

Do we hear fan girls crying?
How about hearts breaking?

 

This is a public confession, from the one and only Jung Yonghwa.

 

And his timing was right. It was during the press conference of his latest drama, Marry Him if You Dare. And now people are speculating it might be his ‘We Got Married’ co-star and wife, Seo Joohyun or actress Park Shin Hye.

 

One reporter shouted, “Seohyun?”

 

Yonghwa chuckled, “Yongseo is not real.”

 

Right on baby, right on.
He might have dropped ‘any longer’.

 

Yongseo is not real any longer.

 

But if it’s not Seohyun it doesn’t automatically make Shin Hye his girlfriend. If Yongseo isn’t real, it doesn’t make Yongshin real right away. Before anyone could ask another question, Yonghwa, again, with a handsome smile on his face, spoke excitedly to the press and to everyone.

 

“Do you know Heartstrings?”

 

Awww.

 

“So it’s Park Shin Hye?” Someone shouted.

 

“Shin-Hye-ssi?” Yonghwa smiled. “You think it’s her?”

 

Everyone was cheering. It must be Shin Hye or no other.

 

“I won’t answer questions anymore.” He laughed.

 

Oh bummer.
He left them hanging like that.

 

But he gave away the answer. It’s his confirmation. He is dating Park Shin Hye. She is his girlfriend.

 

Do you know heartstrings?
So what if they do… they wanted to know who your girlfriend is. And now, they know.

 

Everyone knows.


Including Seohyun. 
And Yoon Shi-Yoon.

 

 

“Do you know Heartstrings?” Shin Hye was mad. “What the hell was that, Yonghwa?”

 

Oh, Shin Hye didn’t like his confession.
She got mad.

 

She walked out on him from the boys’ dorm and hailed a cab going home. He followed only not be allowed to enter her house.

 

They agree upon it.
No one tells about their relationship just yet but Yonghwa got too excited and went with his famous “Do you know heartstrings” line.

 

Shin Hye didn’t talk to him for weeks. And as expected, their agencies were asked to release official statements; both SALT and FNC denied it, claiming there was no actual confirmation from what Yonghwa had said.

 

In the end, it became an open-secret. It was from the very beginning actually, but with what Yonghwa said in that press conference, he sealed it.

 

They’re on.

 

 

Shin Hye’s Home
7 p.m.

 

“How long has this been going on?” Yoon Shi-Yoon cried.

 

But Shin Hye refused to answer.

 

“Longer than you have imagined.” It was Yonghwa.

 

“Stay out of this. I’m not talking to you.” Yoon Shi-Yoon shot at him.

 

“Yonghwa, please. We’ll just talk.” Shin Hye held Yonghwa’s arm. “Please go.”

 

“I can’t leave you here alone.” Yonghwa was cursing under his breath.

 

“Yong.” Shin Hye pleaded.

 

Yong.
She called him Yong.

It should have an effect.

 

“Don’t you dare touch her.” Yonghwa warned Shi-Yoon as he walked to the door.

 

Shi-Yoon closed his eyes. These are the moments he wanted to be Jung Yonghwa. He can be so powerful and powerless on her hands.

 

Shin Hye’s hands.
 

And Shi-Yoon would die to be in his place.

 

 

 “It’s always been him… I’m sorry.” Shin Hye cried.

 

But Yoon Shi-Yoon cried harder. “You should’ve asked me to walk away from your life. You didn’t have to trouble yourself of hiding it all this time.”

 

“I felt like a fool…” He added.

 

“I’m sorry, Oppa.” Shin Hye sobbed, “I meant to tell you.”

 

“I’m sorry? And when are you going to tell me? When I’m proposing to you… asking your hand for marriage? Or when you’re pregnant with his baby? Tell me, Shin Hye, when? Or when Jung Yonghwa’s gotten tired of laughing of my foolishness and pathetic state?” Shi-Yoon was mad, hurt and desperate. He felt played all this time.

 

“It’s not like that.”

 

“I always knew you were more than friends.” Shi-Yoon wiped his tears, “Best friends, my . Nobody looks at each other like that. No one speaks with their eyes like that. You were too close. Way too close… for goodness sake, if we were married, I would divorced you because of Jung Yonghwa; because of your closeness with Jung Yonghwa. But come to think of it, you’ll never get married to someone else… because of Jung Yonghwa.”

 

Because of Jung Yonghwa.
 

And boy, those words were nothing but truth.
It was enough to keep Shin Hye quietly sobbing.

 

“I want to hold on, I want to fight for my love, for my own right – I deserve that. But How do I go against years of friendship, oh, let me just quit the narrative. It’s going to take too long.” Yoon Shi-Yoon paused for a while.  “I’ll go direct to the point. How do I go against Jung Yonghwa? It’s like fighting the North alone; without guns, without shield. I’m more helpless than the most helpless person out there.”

 

“We’re over, aren’t we?” Shi-Yoon bit his lip, “Why do I even ask the obvious? We’re bound to end the moment we started. I should’ve known better.”

 

“Oppa…” Shin Hye tried to touch him.

 

“Please…” Shi-Yoon stepped backwards. “Please respect that little pride I have left for myself.”

 

“Oppa…” Shin Hye repeated.

 

“Take care, Shin Hye.” New tears welled up Shi-Yoon’s eyes again, “And I really, really love you. Please let me stay here for a while. You can go. Don’t keep Yonghwa waiting. You have kept him waiting all these years and look what it brought you... look at what it brought me. ”

 

“I’m sorry, Oppa.” Shin Hye couldn’t even look at him straight.

 

“Don’t be. I’m the one who’s stupid. I always knew you can’t give Yonghwa up. You were in love with each other right from the very start. I was actually the third party; the one who came between the two of you.”

 

“But I loved you, Shi-Yoon Oppa. My feelings for you were real. ” 

 

“I know but you’re never going to love me the way you love Jung Yonghwa.” Shi Yoon wiped his tears anew, “No matter how much I try, I will never get the same amount of love, or even just a part of it. In fact, you never even smile at me the way you smile at him.”

 

Shin Hye was about to apologize some more when Shi-Yoon covered his face with his hands.

 

“Go, please.” He told her, “While I am still able to think sanely. Go, Park Shin Hye. Take care… and… I love you… I really do… Jung Yonghwa is a lucky man.”

 

Shin Hye didn’t open anymore. She already said she was sorry and that her feelings for Shi-Yoon were never pretend. It’s true that there’s no easy way to break someone’s heart. No matter how carefully she selects her words, and no matter how many times she apologizes, it’s still the same: she still crushed his heart.

 

Unfortunately, Shin Hye committed something that Yoon Shi-Yoon feared from the very beginning and for the longest time. He was too scared, paranoid to a point that Shin Hye will eventually fall in love with her best friend, Yonghwa. And now, as Shi-Yoon claims, he was aware that the two were in love with each since from the start of their friendship.

 

With a guilty heart, Shin Hye left to be with the person whom she obviously chosen over her crying ex-boyfriend.

 

Jung Yonghwa.
It’s always Jung Yonghwa.

 

 

“I shouldn’t have left you there.” Yonghwa bit his lip, as Shin Hye struggled with putting on her seatbelt.

 

“Just start the freaking car, Yonghwa.” Shin Hye told him; still she couldn’t make the freaking thing to lock, while tears started to flow from her eyes.

 

“Yah, what happened back there?” Yonghwa touched her face.

 

“Nothing happened, we just talked.” She said softly while she bit her lip trying to stop herself from crying in front of her boyfriend. “Let’s go.”

 

“Park Shin Hye.” Yonghwa cupped her face and turned it softly towards him.

 

Shin Hye sobbed more, “Let’s go… please.”

 

“We’re not going anywhere, unless you tell me everything. You always tell me everything.” Yonghwa suddenly turned the engine off.

 

“Damn it Yonghwa I said let’s go.” Shin Hye shouted this time but her tears kept flowing.

 

“And I asked what happened?!” He shouted back.

 

Just when Shin Hye had finally put on her seatbelt, she wanted to take it off. She never wanted to fight with Yonghwa. One emotional exchange of blows with one boyfriend is enough for her that day.

 

 “Shi-Yoon-Oppa.” Shin Hye cried. “We finally broke up.”

 

Boom.

Now it’s Jung Yonghwa who wanted to cry.

 

“Aren’t we supposed to be happy with that?” His eyes were wide of disbelief. "I was expecting that."

 

Finally, Shi-Yoon and Shin Hye have broken up but Shin Hye doesn’t look relieved at all. 

 

“Yonghwa, it’s not that easy.” Shin Hye said in between her loud sobs. It could’ve been hard to understand but Yonghwa heard everything.

 

Yonghwa wanted to say something but nothing came out of his mouth.

 

“Let’s stop seeing each other.” She cried, “It’s the best thing to do right now.”

 

Shin Hye wasn’t talking to Shi-Yoon.
It was Yonghwa in front of her.

 

BUT

 

She still said those words.

 

 “I’ll be damned.” Yonghwa closed his eyes. “Why?”

 

“He’s crying so hard and he’s too hurt, Yonghwa.” Shin Hye told him, feeling guilty.

 

“Will you rather have me crying and hurt instead?” He asked her.

 

Nice question, Jung.
But that was too harsh of a question.
And definitely more brutal to direct it to an emotional and beaten poor lady this time, you bad boy.

 

Shin Hye didn’t answer.

 

“I got it.” He nodded and started the engine.

 

“Yong…” She touched his arm.

 

Now, that’s two hurt boyfriends in one day.
Guiltier girlfriend in one day.

 

Well, Yonghwa’s hurt was self-inflicted.

 

He drove her to Heirs’ filming site and dropped her off without kissing her goodbye. Yonghwa didn’t even say goodbye.

 

Goodbye was the word of the day.

 

Sometimes good and bye doesn’t really go well together.
Because sometimes, they come with tears.

 

 

Man enough.

 

Yoon Shi-Yoon was ‘man enough’ to let go. He had all the reason to hold on to Park Shin Hye, but he never did. He watched her leave and walk out of the door, and walk out of his life.

 

They’re over.
No questions.

 

But Yoon Shi-Yoon had let go. He had set her free; not only because he can’t go heads-on with Jung Yonghwa, but because he loved Shin Hye too much that he can’t bear see her torn and get hurt.

 

While he was nursing his broken heart, Shi-Yoon thought it was just wishful thinking that Shin Hye was even torn. He thought he only made that up in his mind. Shin Hye had been making choices, unknowingly, but always, always, choosing whom her heart’s tells her to.

 

What is there to fight for? Shi-Yoon reflected.

 

None.

 

He’s got nothing on his hands.

 

His love? – Yonghwa loved her longer; loved her first. There would be endless battles on which guy who loves her the most.


His loyalty? – The best friend never wavered, even if he had girlfriends. No, never.
 

Friendship? – Best friends, remember? Shin Hye and Yonghwa are best of friends. The word ‘best’ is there for a reason. It has got to be.

 

Everything Shi-Yoon’s got was nothing compared to what Yonghwa has.

 

Shi-Yoon just had to cry and let go. He knew he should be ‘man enough’ to let go of his love because there’s nothing much that he can do or Shin Hye can do.

 

 

But he was man enough too.

 

Yonghwa.

 

He went to see Shi-Yoon one time in his house and wanted to settle things with him. The CNBlue leader was determined to see him even if he knew right from the start; none of their conversation is going to turn out well.

 

But Yonghwa still went. He knew he had to see him. He will offer no explanation, nor will he give Shin Hye back to him.

 

“Hit me.” Yonghwa kept his face straight. “I deserve that.”

 

Shi Yoon stared at him. He shouldn’t have opened his door for him. After how many months, just when he was slowly getting back on track and finally decided to move on, Jung Yonghwa is right outside his doorstep.

 

The only man who would remind him of his painful break-up with his ex-girlfriend, Park Shin Hye.

 

That man who’s Shin Hye’s most favorite guy on earth, the one she can’t live without…

 

Her best friend…
And now her boyfriend.

 

“Allowing you to hit me has expiration, Hyung.” Yonghwa even knew how to joke at this tense situation, “Don’t waste your time staring at me and go do it.”

 

“Is she well?” Shi-Yoon’s eyes turned soft, “She’s working too hard again, I hope she doesn’t get sick…”

 

Damn.
What’s this? Emotional battle?

 

“Hyung…” Yonghwa tried to go closer to Shi-Yoon.

 

“Why are you here?” Shi-Yoon asked, “After almost a year, you finally got the courage to face me, haven’t you?”

 

Yonghwa nodded.

 

“I’m here because I felt I could’ve taken the more respectful way rather than…”

 

“You’re not sorry, are you?” Shi-Yoon interrupted Yonghwa.

 

“No.” Yonghwa was quick to answer, “Not one bit. But I felt bad that I’ve hurt you, we have hurt you. But no, I’m not sorry and I am not going to say sorry because I finally get to hold the person I truly love the way I wanted to hold her all this time...”

 

“Damn you, Yonghwa.” Shi-Yoon shook his head but he smiled, “Where do you get that attitude? You stole my girlfriend then you come here and asking me to hit you but you are not sorry…”

 

“She’s mine, Hyung, we both know that.” Yonghwa smiled back. “Mine from the start.”

 

“And that confidence too… Where do you get that?” Shi-Yoon was amazed on how Yonghwa is behaving himself in front of him. “Then why are you really here?”

 

“Hit me then we’re even.” Yonghwa insisted.

 

“Let her go and we’re even.” Shi-Yoon shot at him.

 

“Why don’t I hit you instead?” Yonghwa laughed, “C’mon Hyung… I have band practice today. Just one. Do it. Help us both sleep at night.”

 

Oh.
Jung Yonghwa’s feeling guilty about it too.  

 

“I doubt that you’ve had sleepless nights over that.” Shi-Yoon told him, “But well if you insist…”

 

A hard punch landed on Yonghwa’s handsome face.

 

His mouth bled, and he wiped it coolly then he smiled. “Now we’re even.”

 

Yoon Shi-Yoon was gaping in awe. He was still dumbstruck on how weird Yonghwa is acting up in front of him.

Yonghwa, after being hit, extended his hand to Shi-Yoon. The older actor took and shook it.

 

Yonghwa was man enough to renew his friendship with him. Not all guys are like him who would show up and offered himself to be hit. He was sorry, alright. He just couldn’t admit it. He finds Shi-Yoon a nice guy and he actually liked him before; he told Shin Hye that. But he was too in love with Park Shin Hye that he had no other choice but to take her away from Shi-Yoon. Or as he had put it, just getting back what is his originally.

 

And Shi-Yoon was man enough to accept that unspoken apology from Yonghwa. He was cool and nice to allow their friendship to continue despite everything that has happened.

 

“The best man won.” Yonghwa’s smile never left his face.

 

Heol.
Where exactly did that come from?

 

Yonghwa came home with swollen lip and black-eye.
He only asked for one hit from Shi-Yoon.
He got hit twice.

 

 

“Happy anniversary.” Yonghwa kissed her softly on the lips and handed her a bouquet of flowers.

 

Shin Hye laughed hard, “Do you know what day it is today, Yong?”

 

“Mmmm. 22nd?” He wasn’t sure.

 

“23rd, Jung.” She corrected him. “It’s twenty-three now. Isn’t it sad? After more than a year of being just best of friends, we couldn’t figure when exactly we became official.”

 

“Because I was telling you it’s when you confessed to me at your house.” Yonghwa smiled.

 

He was joking of course. He confessed first.

 

And yes, they don’t have a definite anniversary date. It was just one of those ordinary days that Yonghwa wanted to turn extraordinary by giving his girlfriend a bouquet of flowers.

 

“I think it’s when we told our families, that’s when.” She pinched his nose. “But you are so stubborn. Stubborn, stubborn, Jung Yonghwa.”

 

“But handsome.” He rose to give her another peck on the lips.

 

“Fine. Cannot and will not argue with that.”

 

Yonghwa took her hand and kissed it. He held it tighter and closer to his face. He kissed it several times while he spoke.

 

“I’ve never been this happy.” He told her. “Never been this happy.”

 

Shin Hye was smiling, wanting to hug him by what he just said. But she couldn’t do it. They’re in a public place for goodness sake.

 

Yonghwa was eyeing her meaningfully. He was telling her something.

 

“Don’t start.” Shin Hye panicked. “Don’t you dare start, Jung Yonghwa.”

 

“Why are you so scared? Would you rather have someone else proposing to you aside from me?”

 

Heol.
Was he asking her to marry him?

 

Marry him if you dare, Shin Hye.

 

“Well, no. But it’s too soon.” She confessed. “Way too soon. We’re still just friends in front of many people.”

 

And she didn’t dare.
Sorry, Yong she didn’t dare.

 

Heol.
They’ve had conversations like this before.

 

Proposal.
Marriage.

 

That’s deserves an ‘Oh dear’.

 

Oh well, oh dear.

 

“Then we tell them.” He smiled again after another rejection. He went back to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter