Do You Know Heartstrings?

That Thin Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CNBlue Dorm
Gangnam-Gu, Seoul
5.30 p.m.

 

“Where are you going?” Minhyuk asked the rushing Jungshin he met outside of the dorm. “And why is your face like that?”

 

“Hyung. This might be the end of me. We’ve got two Lee Jonghyuns in the house. Two. And they’re both burning.” Jungshin was serious when he told his Hyung who was still clueless.

 

“Define Lee Jonghyun.” Minhyuk stopped him from leaving by holding on to his hand.

 

“Ah, simple. The one who makes my life difficult by being difficult himself.” Jungshin summarized his description in a simple sentence.

 

“Aaaah.” Nodded Minhyuk.

 

Aaaah.
Simple.
Understandable.
Minhyuk-Hyung understood.

 

 “Okay, go.” Minhyuk smiled, “I’ll just get some things and I’ll have to run myself. I’m picking up Ji Won later.”

 

“Aigoo. Ji Won here, Ji Won there.” Jungshin shook his head. “What has happened to the world? Lee Jonghyun One is Meahri here, Meahri there. Lee Jonghyun Two is Shin Hye here, Shin Hye there. While me…”

 

“Nothing here, nothing there…” Minhyuk laughed hard; so hard Jungshin pretended to strangle him.

 

“Well, good luck with Lee Jonghyun Two.” He snickered, “He’s much worse, I feel like hugging the original.”

 

Minhyuk went inside their house still laughing, still reeling with his conversation with Jungshin. It’s always fun talking with the youngest member, it’s always refreshing, but it’s more surprising that’s he’s complaining about someone that he’d last find fault about.

 

Jung Yonghwa a.k.a Lee Jonghyun Two.

 

Minhyuk found him slouching in the sofa, playing a video game. He was eating chips of several sorts, scattered on the table and some bits and pieces of it fell on the floor. There’s beer and there’s cola; that’s even enough to let Minhyuk shake his head twice the moment he saw it.

 

One foot wearing a checkered sock, the other plain black.
His hair disheveled.

 

Yonghwa alternately played and ate; unmindful that one of his brothers left and another one arrived. He was engrossed with his own world.

 

And drowning on it…

 

He drank his beer and Minhyuk saw that the can slightly missed his mouth; therefore the beer went to his new favorite yellow shirt. But Yonghwa didn’t mind, he kept playing. Amused when he scored; Minhyuk assumed he did, he seemed like little boy making proud ‘I’ve won’ faces alone.

 

The handsome little drummer boy gaped in awe while he watched his Hyung continued playing and never seemed to mind that it’s a bit uncomfortable that his shirt is a bit wet with beer and there are chips on the corner of his mouth too.

 

“Hyung?” Minhyuk called him.

 

Yonghwa didn’t spare Minhyuk a glance.
He continued with his thing.

 

“Your phone is ringing.” Minhyuk told him.

 

But Yonghwa didn’t budge so Minhyuk picked up his phone. “It’s CEO Han.”

 

“I’ll call him later.” Yonghwa wasn’t going to talk to their CEO.

 

Heol.
What on earth has gotten on his mind?

 

“Hyung, what’s wrong?” Minhyuk knew he had to ask.

 

“Nothing. Go.” Yonghwa shooed him away.

 

Minhyuk had to shake his head once more and got the DVDs for his girlfriend before heading out of their dorm.

 

He went to the kitchen first to a get a glass of water before leaving and found out it was too messy. Unwashed plates and glasses were piled up on the sink. Food were everywhere on the dining table. Pots and pans, all of them used, were on top of each other. The refrigerator door was even half-open. Cans of beer and empty bags of chips were scattered on the floor.

 

Messy, untidy.
Lee Jonghyun + Jung Yonghwa years back.
The comeback of the comeback.
The grandest of it.
Oh dear.

 

And handsome little drummer boy can’t take it. So he took his phone.

 

“Come back.” He spoke with authority.

 

He got a no.
A loud NO.

 

“Hyung, can you help me?” Minhyuk knew it was far-cry but he came out to the living room and had sought help from Yonghwa.

 

A glance from Jung Yonghwa comes too expensive at that time of the day apparently. And based on what Minhyuk had experienced moments ago, he never expected anything and honestly, he regretted saying the word ‘help’.

 

Minhyuk tried his luck with his other Hyung. The original Lee Jonghyun. The handsome drummer boy entered the jungle, Ooops, Jonghyun’s room, only to find the guitar freak sleeping wearing nothing but his boxer shorts.

 

And there are cans of beer and chips in the jungle, er, in his room too.
Don’t be fooled with those Cheongdamdong episodes where you see his room quite tidy; the staff had to work overtime to clean the jungle, er, Jonghyun’s room, before filming.

 

“Hyung…” Minhyuk stopped. Jonghyun was even snoring.

 

So, he redialed the number he called awhile ago.

 

“Come back.” Minhyuk was pleading this time.

 

He got another no.
A soft no.
It was pleading too.

 

“Hyung…” Jungshin was pleading too.

 

“There are plates everywhere.” Minhyuk told him.

 

As if he telling his maknae it’s the end of the world.

 

“Cockroaches will feast on the left-over food.” Jungshin sniffled. He knew that much.

 

“Come back Lee Jungshin.” Minhyuk told him, “Hyung is asking you.”

 

They sounded like lovers.
Heol.

 

“We have to save our dorm.” Minhyuk told him seriously, “Let’s disband later or better yet, kill them with our bare hands.”

 

“Okay, you have to promise we kill them? Arasso?” Jungshin’s mood lightened up, “No mercy. We beat the Busan lights out of those boys, Hyung.”

 

“Yes. Hurry up. The cockroaches are coming.” Minhyuk was still serious.

 

“We punch their handsome faces.” Jungshin was equally serious himself. “Pinky-swear?”

 

“Pinky-swear, baby bro.”

 

Ottoke?!

The world is indeed coming to an end.

 

Minhyuk had to phone Kim Ji Won the next minute, much to his disappointment. “Sorry babe. We have an emergency at the dorm.”

 

Emergency at the dorm.
Messy kitchen.
Messy living room.
Messy brothers are back.
The cockroaches are coming.
Emergency.

 

Lee Jungshin came back and it’s his turn to ignore. Not that Yonghwa is talking to him; the leader is still up in his own world.

 

The moment the maknaes met, they immediately went to work. Like dishwashing and cleaning pros, the two moved swiftly and in accordance, like they were doing synchronized swimming. Sweeping here, sweeping there. Dishes were clean in an instant. They can’t bear the mess as always.

 

“What’s wrong with those two?” Minhyuk asked while he put the pots in the cabinet.

 

“You ask me…” Jungshin had to laugh sarcastically. “They get too mature confessing to their women… and…”

 

He was cut off.

They heard voices.

The two maknaes hurried to the living room.

 

“Hyung, you still got food?”

 

Jonghyun.
Jonghyun of the Jungle.
He’s awake.

 

“Here.” Yonghwa threw the bag of chips.

 

Jonghyun of the Jungle didn’t catch it.

 

You know where the bag of chips went.
And its contents went to…

 

“Ooops.” Jonghyun said. He picked up the bag, but the pieces that went to the floor, well, they remained on the floor.

 

“OOOOPS?” Jungshin and Minhyuk’s eyes widened. “OOOOPS?”

 

“What’s the fuss?” Jonghyun asked coolly.            

 

“Our pinkies-swear Hyung, don’t forget.” Jungshin whispered calmly to Minhyuk, “I’ll take out Tarzan, that boy Jane is yours.”

 

Jonghyun can pass off as Tarzan. Still wearing nothing but his boxers, his bowl-cut hair is unkempt and it’s too obvious that he just came out of bed.

 

Someone bring out the branches and the hanging vines.
Tarzan is here.

 

And Jane, that boy Jane, Yonghwa is wearing yellow. So fitting.

 

“Ahhhh.” Tarzan’s beautiful yet once clueless eyes lit up, “You guys are mad because of the mess, isn’t? We’ll clean it up.”

 

“When?” Minhyuk’s voice was loud and almost shouting, “When your kids know how to multiple and divide? When they can speak English better than you?”

 

There’s a Thin Line between speaking loud and shouting.
And for Kang Minhyuk there’s no thin line.

Nah-ah.

 

“Woah.” Jonghyun raised his hands up. “Cool down.”

 

“Hyung, he doesn’t speak English.” Jungshin insulted, “So what’s with ‘better’?”

 

Jonghyun laughed. “You guys are too serious.”

 

Playing Jane spoke, “Yah, you guys are too un-cool.”

 

The Maknaes are turning red by the minute.
It’s going to be war out there.

Out there in the jungle.

 

“What is wrong with you people?” Minhyuk asked; Jungshin can see smoke come out of his nostrils and eyes and ears. He can feel some from his too.

 

“I’m trying to enjoy my numbered days as a single man.” Yonghwa smiled and gave Jonghyun a high-five.

 

“Congratulations Hyung.” Jonghyun smiled. “Finally.”

 

“This is enjoyment to you?” Jungshin was dumbfounded.

 

“Going back to your old ways?” Minhyuk added.

 

Yonghwa nodded. “I can’t do this living with Shin Hye can’t I? I will get divorced in five minutes.”

 

“Three.” Jonghyun corrected.

 

“So you…” Yonghwa stood up and placed his arms on both Minhyuk and Jungshin, “Should take it easy. How many days more should we stay in one house together?”

 

Awwww.
Of course.
When Yonghwa gets married, he moves out of the dorm.

 

“You’re not living here?” Jungshin asked, tears almost welling up in his eyes immediately. “But… but…”

 

Then the sudden change of feeling, sudden change of atmosphere.

 

“Am I supposed to feel touched? Yonghwa smiled.

 

“Pabo.” Minhyuk told Jungshin, his shouting and mad voice suddenly turned sad in an instant too, “Of course he moves out.”

 

“Oh I thought Shin Hye Noona can help us with the dishes.” Jungshin confessed. “And the cleaning.”

 

But Jungshin was joking of course. It did slip his mind that if one of them ties the knot that Blue boy lives with his wife in another house. In his simple mind, he thought he would welcome a female occupant in their dorm. He imagined that to be; then he pictured their family to be growing with little babies running around the dorm. He accepted the fact that he needs to give up his cat eventually.

 

“So can you let this pass?” Jonghyun joined his brothers, putting his arm around his favorite maknae, Jungshin.

 

The two maknaes nodded.

 

Blue brotherhood at their best.
Sweet.
So sweet.

 

“Not you.” Minhyuk told Jonghyun. “Why? Are you getting married too?”

 

Jonghyun smiled, “I’m letting Hyung first. We come in order, arasso? No taking over the line.”

 

Lee Jonghyun had to give out his warning to Kang Minhyuk who has been dating his Heirs co-star Kim Ji Won for a while now.

 

Funny how Minhyuk looked cute with Krystal Jung and that many had shipped him with SNSD’s Jessica’s baby sister. They have some chemistry all right, but the handsome yet sometimes too serious drummer boy can only be cracked up by the not-too-obvious-bubbly-girl Kim Ji Won. Even before they had started working in Heirs, they were dating already and it’s a serious relationship that they share.

 

“Fine.” Minhyuk smiled. “No cutting over the line. I will wait for my turn.”

 

Yonghwa laughed. “We’re brothers. Have always been brothers. Nothing’s going to change. We’re just getting sisters for everyone. We’ll be staying in different homes maybe but our relationships are the same… nothing will ever change.”

 

Awwww.
Nothing’s going to change… Nothing will ever change…

It came from the leader, no less.

 

Jungshin discreetly approached Jonghyun later on. His ‘favorite’ Hyung of all times.

 

“Hyung.” He whispered. “It’s not a bad idea to have a girl around the house, you know.”

 

Jonghyun nodded. “But I think they deserve some privacy, you know.”

 

“Right.” Jungshin was sad. “I’m really not too close to Kim Ji Won-ssi yet…. And I don’t think they’re getting married soon…”

 

“You’re saying?” Jonghyun is close to laughing.

 

“I like Jin-Yi Noona actually.” Jungshin admitted. “And we’re a bit close.”

 

They’re a bit close, hmmm.

 

Oh Jungshin, the cat owner and Hello Kitty Meahri.
There is something in common there.
Meow.

 

 “What?” Jonghyun finally laughed. He laughed mightily and loud. “Don’t you want me out of your sight?”

 

“Yes.” Jungshin gave an honest answer. “But Yonghwa-Hyung’s leaving, then you… and that’s sad.”

 

 

Awww.
The poor boy doesn’t want to be left alone.
 

 

“We fight all the time.” Jonghyun told him, smiling.

 

Jungshin doesn’t want Jonghyun to leave too.
Too obvious.
Awww.

 

“I love those fights.” Jungshin admitted.

 

“You what?” Yonghwa butted in.

 

“It makes me feel more and more like a matured man.” Jungshin told them.

 

Yonghwa laughed so hard by what Jungshin said, he lay down the sofa holding his tummy. Jonghyun was laughing too much too.

 

“You want to fight me?” Jonghyun got another bag of chips and turned it upside down. All its contents went to the floor. “C’mon Lee Jungshin… show me what you got.”

 

Yonghwa, still on the sofa, reached for another one, cheese-flavored this time, (Jonghyun messed the Barbecue ones seconds ago) and handed it to the laughing Burning.

 

The Cheese and Barbeque flavored chips on the floor, baby.
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

 

Jungshin and Minhyuk stared at them.
The chips first then Yonghwa and Jonghyun.

 

So much for the Blue Bonding awhile ago.

 

“Tarzan.” Minhyuk pointed at Jungshin.

 

“Jane is all yours.” Jungshin responded to that deadly Minhyuk stare with his own version.

 

 

Jung Yonghwa and Lee Jonghyun had to ask for ice packs from their neighbor two doors away.
They don’t have any.
They couldn’t make improvised ones too; it’s still cold water on their ice trays.

 

Black-eyed Tarzan.
And swollen-lipped Jane.


Ahhhhhhhhhh-Ahhhhhh-Ahhhhhhhhh

 

(That’s Tarzan yelling, FYI)

 

 

He says he’s going to enjoy everything that he enjoyed being single and those things that he didn’t, and he never got to do, that Jung Yonghwa.

 

Pfft.

Whatta guy.
Whatta crazy guy.

 

He played music on the streets of Tokyo again.
He went on gigs on that unknown bar in Seoul.
He partied all day, all night (he didn’t get to do this before)
He went to Jeju alone.
He met up with friends in Busan.
He went on a freaking blind date.
He went to see his ex-girlfriends.
He ignored that girl, Park Shin Hye for weeks.

 

This is not a list; there is an explanation.

And Shin Hye didn’t like the last three of course.

 

 

He played music on the streets of Tokyo again.
 

Japan would always hold a special place in Yonghwa’s heart.

 

Always.

 

CNBlue started in Japan technically. When they were nobody, it was a few handful Japanese passers-by who listened to the raw talent of the CN boys. It was where they poured their hearts out, full of dreams and ambition. No pretense, no show business, just young boys showing the world what they can offer.

 

The world began in Tokyo, Japan for CNBlue; for Yonghwa. And before someone becomes Mrs. Jung Yonghwa, he comes back and plays on the streets once more, where as a musician and as an artist he started to dream big and aspire.

 

Not much has changed except he draw hoards of girls this time. Some cried seeing him play again on the streets. If they only knew he’s getting married, they could’ve cried some more.

 

 

He went on gigs on unknown bars in Seoul.
 

Little does everyone know, there is an unknown bar that CNBlue frequent in Seoul. This is one of those underground bars where indie bands come and play their music. When the boys are back in Seoul from Tokyo, they too play here.

 

Everyone is given a chance to play their music here. No one is judged unfairly. Even if the bass is sounding loudly than the lead guitar, no unpleasant comments are going to be heard… while they’re playing.

 

The critiques are shared after the bands empty their beers later on. The musicians gather up in the cramped bar, in those wooden round tables. Cigarette smoke can be inhaled and exhaled even by the non-smokers.


Yonghwa loved this place. He loved being told he ; that Jonghyun played the guitar better than him, may it be using the lead guitar or the rhythm guitar. He loved the criticism. It meant he had room for improvement.

 

He gained many friends here too. And even when they became famous, these friends didn’t change the way they treat them. CNBlue didn’t get any special treatment because they were CNBlue.

 

Yes.
They still go to this bar even if they have become famous already.

 

And they still wait for their turn to play. They carry their own instruments. The boys had to carry their own amplifiers; they had to set-up Minhyuk’s drums. Yonghwa and Jungshin exchange sweats before they can even belt out “Oetoriya… Oetoriya…” Jonghyun and Minhyuk sometimes play shirtless because there is no air-conditioning in this bar.

 

No special treatment.
And they still get unfavorable comments by the way they play.

 

Yonghwa came back to play again. He told the bar owner, a fat man, a guitar player himself, that he might not be coming back as often because he’s getting married.

 

The bar owner, Park Se Ju (of all names) smiled, “No, you’re not.”

 

“I am.” Yonghwa raised his beer.

 

“Don’t you have a best friend that you can’t live without?” The fat Se Ju scratched his tummy.

 

“You know about that?” Yonghwa couldn’t believe it.

 

“Don’t you know that you got so drunk that you told everyone that?”  Se Ju laughed, “Right there on stage. There’s this lady I can’t live without. She’s my best friend.”

 

Yonghwa stopped drinking.
He couldn’t remember.

 

“When was this?” Yonghwa had to ask.

 

“Ah… when you brought your girlfriend, I think.” Se Ju tried to recall. “That pretty Gee, Gee, baby baby girl. That girl who comes in a pack.”

 

Seohyun.
Girl who comes in a pack.

Girls Generation.

 

“I said that?” Yonghwa almost stammered.

 

“Yes.” Se Ju was smiling. “So, it’s either you can live without your best friend now or you’re marrying her.”

 

“I’m marrying her.” Yonghwa was quick to answer.

 

“Wow.” Se Ju said in a flat tone. “I shouldn’t have said Wow. Who else should you marry except the one you can’t live without, isn’t it?”

 

Yonghwa nodded and smiled.

 

“Isn’t this a special place for you?” Se Ju asked, “Why haven’t you brought your special girl?”

 

“Too many men.” Yonghwa winked. “Too many men.”

 

“And you’re too insecure.” Se Ju patted his back.

 

“No, just too careful.” Yonghwa smiled.

 

No, Yong. You’re too insecure.

 

 

He partied all day, all night (he didn’t get to do this before)

 

He’d rather work. He’d rather compose songs and write music all night. Jung Yonghwa would party yes but he’d never party hard. There were few occasions that he’d be awake from night till dawn but they were too few they were easily forgotten.

 

So he’s determined to hit parties and rock them like crazy before he shares a house with a woman legally. He has to do it now because in the future he has to do some serious explaining when he parties all day, all night.

 

Right now, when it’s still fine partying crazy like this, guilt-free to some extent, then Jung Yonghwa will do it.

 

So he does it.


He partied with his brothers. Poor boys, they have no choice; making their respective girlfriends mad.

 

Jin Yi wasn’t really the shallow type; she was cool actually.  Jonghyun can go wherever, whenever. He didn’t have to ask for her permission. But when he goes out of the house two days straight  and sleeps in the car with his brothers, then Jin Yi starts to worry and began asking if he’s okay. She just asks and doesn’t get mad. But the drunk and no-sleep Jonghyun flared up.

 

Kim Ji Won had worse; Minhyuk doesn’t pick up her calls. It was Jin Yi who told her the boys were together, totally drunk, hugging each other in some high class bar. Home and bed for the morning slash night is their Hyundai company van.

 

Shin Hye got the same information. If Ji Won’s call didn’t get picked up, hers was rejected. There was a difference.

 

Jungshin.
There was no one to call him.
No one here. No one there.

 

Yonghwa wanted to party.
So he parties.

 

He went with other idols too.

 

Idols.
SNSD are idols.
Period.

 

 

He went to Jeju alone.

 

Jeju. Jeju. Jeju.

 

Beautiful place.
A haven for Koreans.

 

You don’t go there alone, Yonghwa.
You don’t, baby.

 

Y, Why?

 

He wanted to. Again, things he wanted to do before he gets hitched.

 

Jung Yonghwa, is marriage a death sentence to you?
Heol.

 

He went there and felt nostalgic. He felt he became Lee Shin again. Memories came back.

 

Lee Shin wanted his Gyu Won right by his side.

 

Worst.

 

He went there and felt nostalgic. He felt like himself years back. He remembered the behind the scenes when they were filming. Memories came back.

 

Jung Yonghwa wanted Park Shin Hye right by his side.

 

He wanted to call her. He was good few seconds away from calling her, but he held back. Yonghwa was doing to this for himself. He’s going to spend forever with her anyway.

 

So he toured Jeju.
Alone.

 

He contemplated. Not if he’s getting married or not but how he can provide Shin Hye the best life that she deserves.

 

She has a better future ahead of her. Career-wise, it’s too soon for her to get married; she’s just twenty-seven years old. Marriage may halt her in so many ways. Girls her age can get projects that she should be getting; she may lose roles that she can best portray. Sadly being married can be a disadvantage. Producers and directors would still prefer a single lady over a better, seasoned yet married young actress.

 

Yonghwa felt he’s taking this all away from Shin Hye; those opportunities and future successes. It tugged his heart, but there’s no way this isn’t pushing through, this marriage is going to happen no matter what.

 

Shin Hye tried to haggle; Yonghwa felt that. They spoke in sometimes weird words, out of the blue exchange of lines, only the two of them can understand, and Yonghwa knew she didn’t want to get married yet. They’re engaged but she wants to get married in a later time.

 

“Choi Ji Woo isn’t married, Lee Young Ae married late… and…”

 

“They’re too old for Jung Yonghwa.” Yonghwa had ended Shin Hye’s rant with a kiss.

 

Yes, she ranted quite a bit.
He understood what she meant.

And she understood what he meant.

 

They’re that close.

 

His consideration for her on this marriage goes first and not about himself. Yonghwa cared for what his fans would think and feel though. But he realized, his fans would understand and would be happy for him; he knew they’d wish him well, they’d wish them well.

 

Them.

 

Yonghwa and Shin Hye.
Yongshin.
Dooley.

 

Them.

 

 

He met up with friends in Busan.


The Busan Pride is back home. He’s rarely home because he was busy but he came home and  met up with his pre-school, middle school, high school friends.

 

He really can run a government post. He knows a lot people and friends with them. And he remembers their names.

 

Oh, Jung Yonghwa.

 

And Congressman Yong is making his tour of duty.
Ho ho ho.

 

What is this?
An electoral campaign?

 

Yonghwa, you’re not running for a position… you’re getting married.

 

Anyway, he met up with too many friends but failed to tell them he’s tying the knot. He just went out, ate out with them, and asked everyone how they were doing; caught up with everyone’s lives basically. Someone even asked him if he was sick and he’s doing all those stuff. He said he happened to have some free time and wanted to hang around, he never get to do that all these years when he started working.

 

“Bring Shin Hye here.” Hyun Joo, his high school friend told him, “After the wedding bring her here.”

 

Everyone cheered.

Yonghwa couldn’t take a bite of his cheese pizza.
He froze.

 

They know?

 

“Your grandma was telling everyone she knew… and everyone she didn’t know. Just everyone whom she comes across.” Changjo, another classmate told him.

 

“Do you know Heartstrings?” Almost everyone chorused.

 

“She’d always start with that.” Changjo added, “And she’d say, my grandson, Jung Yonghwa and that pretty lady, that one Lee Min Ho kissed in Heirs, Park Shin Hye, is getting married. But my boy kissed her first in Heartstrings.”

 

“Then she’d end it with, “Do you know Heartstrings?” Ha Na, Yonghwa’s first kiss asked. She was Yonghwa’s classmate in 4th grade. (okay, they kissed when they were nine.)

 

Yonghwa was still holding his pizza near his slightly opened mouth.
Everyone knows.

 

Everyone knows Heartstrings.
 

 

He went on a freaking blind date.

 

Jung Yonghwa was a freak.
Jung Yonghwa went on a blind date.

 

He was a freak several occasions on his life.
But it’s the first time that he went on a blind date.

 

He wanted to do things that he never got to do, right? While he’s still single, right?

 

Okay.
Here it goes.

 

Yonghwa asked someone to set him up on a blind date.

 

“Napeun Namja.” Ceo Han almost slammed his coffee cup on his table.

 

Jonghyun laughed.

 

“And you brought a witness.” Their cool and chubby CEO pointed at Jonghyun.

 

“It’s just going to be a dinner. A good conversation. That’s it. I’m not going to do anything further.” Yonghwa told him. “I wanted to experience being set-up like that.”

 

“It’s boring, Hyung.” Jonghyun, the accomplice told him.

 

“Yes, Jonghyun’s right.” CEO Han agreed.

 

“So, you went on blind dates?” Yonghwa asked his boss.

 

“No one wants to date me, so I had to resort to those things.” He admitted.

 

Yonghwa and Jonghyun had laughed too long and too hard they didn’t notice their CEO didn’t join them.

 

“And it always ends up with one date… sadly.” He admitted. “And why are you laughing? You’re slightly more handsome than I am. I look a lot like Jonghyun when I was younger.”

 

Heol.
Oh, make that damn.

No way.

 

The boys stopped laughing.

 

“I am joking.” It was CEO Han’s turn to laugh.

 

“That’s a bad joke, Hyung.” Jonghyun snapped.

 

Yonghwa touched Jonghyun’s face. “Oh no.”

 

“Seriously, you want me to set you up?” Their boss asked Yonghwa. “I’ll get Shin Hye a nice wedding present… I will, just her. Not you. You brat.”

 

 

Ariake
The Shilla Seoul
7 p.m.

 

She was a chaebol.

A daughter of some wealthy parents whose business has something to do with electronics, Yonghwa was told.

 

Han Ji Soo.
Same age as Yonghwa, beautiful and elegant.
Well-mannered, soft-spoken.
Kind, nice and poised.

 

“I never thought the Jung Yonghwa-ssi I was meeting was the Jung Yonghwa-ssi, the Jung Yonghwa-ssi.” Han Ji Soo shyly admitted.

 

Who is that Jung Yonghwa-ssi?
Should that be asked three times too?

 

Yonghwa took it as a compliment and smiled shyly in return.

 

“So…” She tightened her grip on her chopsticks, but she wasn’t getting any of her sushi.

 

“So?” Yonghwa was waiting.

 

“Is it true about you and Park Shin Hye?” She asked.

 

Houston, we have a problem.
Copy, that.
Jung Yonghwa-ssi, you have to answer.

 

“Park Shin Hye-ssi?” He asked, almost wanted to laugh.

 

Park Shin Hye-ssi?

Heol.

We’re back to that, Yong?

 

“Oh, CEO Han said you’re best of friends…” Ji Soo remembered, “Sorry, it’s just that people always associate you and her together.”

 

“It’s alright.” Yonghwa told her.

 

“Right.” Ji Soo agreed, “And there’s always that line between friendship and love…”

 

“For a number of times, I have to agree… in order not to lose someone, I need to believe in that thin line.” Yonghwa nodded. “But I’d rather not talk about that. I really don’t believe it exists anyway. It’s either you are in love or not. It’s more than a friend or a just a friend. Black or white; no gray area. There’s no thin line when it comes to love for Jung Yonghwa.”

 

There is no thin line when it comes to love for Jung Yonghwa.
You just killed many girls, Yong.
Oh dear.

 

“You’re too mature, talking about these things.” Ji Soo was amazed by the man in front of her. “But CEO Han, kept saying, this boy, this boy.”

 

But there’s something that he believes in.

 

“There’s a thin line between being a boy and being a man,” He told her, “You know he’d cross over when he doesn’t talk about that thin line anymore.”

 

Han Ji Soo stared and stared.

 

“But… I still don’t believe in that to be honest, there’s no Thin line for me… when it comes to Park Shin...”

 

Boom.
Everything’s fine, Yonghwa.

 

There is no gray area.
Heol.

 

 

The date went on smoothly. As promised it was just a dinner; Han Ji Soo went home by herself, driven by her own chauffer.

 

When Yonghwa went home he updated his brother about his first ever blind date. Yes, he told Jonghyun, he was right, it was boring as hell. Burning laughed at him and told him there’s no fun at going on blind dates; the excitement and challenge is still on going after girls you truly like. Minhyuk overheard their conversation and joined them.

 

Jungshin, however, was banned from joining their conversation. As if they were talking and he was a minor. It’s dangerous. He will tell Shin Hye. Jungshin is loyal to Shin Hye (and had pledge lifetime allegiance to Yoon Jin Yi, by the way).  He’s like a walking and talking CCTV. He doesn’t need to be asked. A spy in the house.

 

But he had heard some of it.
Just a few words.  

 

Yonghwa.

Han Ji Soo.
Chaebol.
Blind date.
Ariake.
Shilla.

 

Blind date.

 

Jungshin shivered.

 

He researched for Ariake in the internet. It’s a Japanese restaurant in the famous hotel, The Shilla Seoul.

 

He dialed Shin Hye’s number; then he ended it without talking to his Noona. He remembered he’s supposed to protect his Hyung, at all times. It may not be as what he thinks it is. But it’s too burdensome to think alone and it’s bugging him. No one wants to talk to him, so he needed to tell someone.


He dialed the Kitty Hotline.
 

Hello?
Hello Kitty.
Meahri-Noona.

 

Of course, Shin Hye knew minutes later.

 

Hello Kitty and friends.

 

 

He went to see his ex-girlfriends.
 

Drum roll, please.
 

Let’s give honor to those who were part of the past.
Those lucky es, erm, women.

 

Yonghwa met up with all of his ex-girlfriends and gave them a bouquet of flowers.

 

All four of them.

He met them separately.
He asked them out for a dinner saying he wanted to say something important.
One Saturday night is reserved for one ex-girlfriend.

 

Lee Sora, the third kiss who became the first girlfriend later on. (He forgot the second girl he kissed)
Cha Jin-Yeong, a beautiful girl from Busan.
Yu Akiko, a Japanese lady whom he met while they were working in Japan.
Seo Joohyun, the beautiful SNSD maknae.

 

Two had issues with Park Shin Hye and they’ve become an ex-girlfriend without questions.

 

Cha Jin-Yeong and Yu Akiko.

 

They went like “I don’t like that Park Shin Hye.”

Cha Jin-Yeong said it in Korean with Busan accent; Yu Akiko said it in Japanese.

 

Yonghwa replied in Korean for both, “Let’s break up.”
In Seoul accent.
With a cold, uncaring tone.
Very unlike for Mr. Jung but we’re talking about Ms. Park here.  

 

He went to see them, asked them how they were doing and apologized to whatever wrong he did in the past. Then he told them they missed their chance.

 

Yes, he told them that.
 

“I’m off the shelf, babe.” He told each one respectively. Yonghwa then smiled seductively.

 

Why must you be like this, Yonghwa?

Narcissistic much?

 

“Liar.” One, two, three. That was the immediate response of the three. 

 

Seohyun is more refined, “You are not telling the truth.”

 

Then their next line is the same of course. “Park Shin Hye?”

 

The handsome namja smiled, “There’s no one else, of course.”

 

Damn right.
There’s no one else.

 

Yonghwa was waiting for them to say she’s one lucky woman, but he was surprised to hear them calling him a lucky man instead. Maybe out of jealousy or regret that they were doing that. But still, he was caught off-guard on their remark.

 

“Am I really your first love?” Lee Sora had her own question that was left unanswered all these years.

 

“Yes. I met you before I met Shin Hye.” Yonghwa told her.

 

“Did you ever love me?” Jin-Yeong had to clear something too.

 

“Of course.” Yonghwa assured her. “I loved you, Jin-Yeong-ah.”

 

“You were never serious with me, were you?” Akiko asked.

 

“I was.” Yonghwa told her. “You have my word. Never played on anyone.”

 

“If we were on a sinking ship, who would you save?” Seohyun and the undying question of all times, “You always say it’s me.”

 

Yonghwa laughed, “Shin Hye knows how to swim.”

 

Still the same answer.
Oh, Yong.

 

He said he was sorry.
He said thanks.
He gave them flowers.
And a kiss on the cheek.

 

Then as parting words, the girls had one thing to tell the dashing groom-to-be, “You want to do something else, Yonghwa?”

 

And he’s got one thing to reply to them, “Nothing else.”

 

Same story with all the ex-girlfriends.
There’s no one else and nothing else to with them anymore.

 

 

He ignored that girl, Park Shin Hye for weeks.

 

Woot.

Yonghwa didn’t get to do that very often too. And in the very, very rare times that he did, he felt like the world is going to end for him.

 

He rejected her calls.
He refused to see her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter