You Didn't Listen

That Thin Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Shin Hye’s house
7.30 p.m

 

“So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday.”
 

He read it in English.
Yonghwa read it in English.

 

It was from Shin Hye’s favorite book, The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.

 

Shin Hye would normally laugh at him but she didn’t. She kept a sad and tear-stained face while she stared almost blankly at the television that remained to be turned off.

 

She was not surprised at all that Yonghwa knew about her situation. It’s written all over his face that he knows everything.

 

His eyes said it all.
 

 

Of course, she knew him too well.

They’re that close.

 

And also...
 

She need not say anything.

 

In fact, she has not said a thing at all.

 

It was Minhyuk who told Yonghwa that he overheard someone said that Shin Hye and Yoon Shi-Yoon fought. Apparently, Shi-Yoon visited the set of their drama Heirs, and during the break time, that someone saw the two arguing near Shi-Yoon’s car.

 

Yonghwa went to Shin Hye’s house.

 

They didn’t exchange words.
It wasn't necessary.

 

All they have to do was look at each other for a few seconds.

 

Then Yonghwa hugged her.
Tightly.

 

Then Shin Hye cried in his arms.

 

Still.

 

No words.

 

After that he tried so hard to cheer her up. But Yonghwa knew, just by looking at her she didn’t want to talk about it yet. So he just let her be for the time being.

 

He didn’t open the TV; he might chance upon romantic movies or dramas and that’s not good. Or worse, Yoon Shi-Yoon might be on it.

 

So, Yonghwa took Shin Hye’s favorite book and started reading her favorite lines aloud.

 

That’s hitting two birds with one stone.

 

Cheering her up by reading her favorite book and letting her hear him speak English.

 

She’d usually crack up laughing hear Yonghwa speak English.

 

Yonglish keeps Shin Hye up.
It lifts her mood.
It drives her crazy.
It makes her die of laughter.

 

But not this time.

 

No amount of extreme Yonglish can even put a faint smile on Park Shin Hye’s face.

 

She was that heartbroken.

 

“I love you. I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I've ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, everyday we are together is the greatest day of my life. I will always be yours. ” Yonghwa continued.

 

Those were too many words and it almost made his nose bleed, but he went on. He even wanted to laugh at himself. But he too, was feeling heartbroken seeing Shin Hye feeling so sad like that.

 

That very moment he wanted to tell Yoon Shi-Yoon to hide wherever he can’t find him.

 

Wow.
Hide wherever Yonghwa can’t find him.

 

Why did Shin Hye and Yoon Shi-Yoon fought?

 

Yonghwa was told Yoon Shi-Yoon spent a night at his ex-girlfriend’s house.
No big deal.
At least according to Yoon Shi-Yoon.

 

They had a reunion with old friends and his ex got drunk and he had to take her home.

 

.

 

He should’ve gotten home afterwards, Shin Hye argued. Yoon Shi-Yoon thought she was overreacting and they fought.

 

They had verbally fought for what they both believe in and it reached to a point where in Yoon Shi-Yoon had brought up Yonghwa and Shin Hye’s relationship.

 

On how close they are.
On how they’re too comfortable with each other.
On how they can’t do away with each other.
On how they won’t leave each other.
On how they matter to each other.

 

And just how name Park Shin Hye will always go with name Jung Yonghwa and vice versa.

 

Yoon Shi-Yoon cursed when he finally let out his real feelings towards Yonghwa.

 

Things wouldn’t probably escalate if Shin Hye tried to deny these things. But she only made matters worse when she told her boyfriend that he should never ever include Yonghwa in their problem. If he insists, then she will walk out on him.

 

What’s that again, Shin Hye?

 

Yonghwa did nothing wrong.
And he is her best friend.
Even if he did something wrong, Jung Yonghwa is still her best friend.
Yoon Shi-Yoon should at least consider that.

 

And Shi-Yoon should watch his words, Shin Hye warned him. It’s Yonghwa that he’s talking about not just any guy. He should be careful; very careful.

 

Shin Hye’s tears were unstoppable when she told those words to her boyfriend. Her eyes were crying but they were fierce.

 

It’s Jung Yonghwa they’re talking about here.
It’s Jung Yonghwa.

 

“He’s not just any other guy, he’s Yonghwa.” Shin Hye repeated so many times. “That guy means a lot to me, more than you’ll ever know.”

 

And that was Yoon Shi-Yoon’s cue.
When Shin Hye said those words, he spoke no more and left her crying alone.

 

“You are, and always have been, my dream…” Yonghwa said it straight this time around. And he was proud that he did.

 

He nudged her slightly, “You heard that Shin Chan? That was perfect… Mmmm… maybe I can try to be an English teacher volunteer, what do you think?”

 

She didn’t even look at him.

 

He continued to flip the pages. Yonghwa wasn’t tired of doing his monologues and he mustn’t get tired. He will not stop until she smiles, until she talks. He is not one bit comfortable seeing her suffer like that.

 

Because he is suffering too.

 

At first, he wanted to beat the crap out of Yoon Shi-Yoon.
Shi-Yoon should hide wherever Yonghwa couldn’t find him, remember?

 

But when he saw Shin Hye trying to fight back those tears again, biting her lip, controlling her emotions in front him, he changed his mind.

 

Shin Hye is totally honest with him; they are totally honest with each other.

At all times.

 

They don’t lie to one another.

Again, at all times.

 

The moment she tried to stop her tears from falling in front of Yonghwa, he wanted to cry too. Heck, he wanted to scream, because Shin Hye wasn’t being completely honest with him now. She was holding back her feelings to the one and only person she used to be totally honest with.

 

Shin Hye was holding back… from Yonghwa.
She was that hurt.

 

So he changed his mind.
Instead of maybe making Yoon Shi-Yoon regret he’d ever been born, Yonghwa wanted to beg him.

 

Yes.
Yonghwa thought of even begging in front of Yoon Shi-Yoon just to make Shin Hye feel better.

 

He was cursing in his head but he’ll do it.
He’ll do whatever it takes.

 

But for now, he went back to being Nicholas Sparks…

 

“You are my best friend as well as my lover, and I do not know which side of you I enjoy the most. I treasure each side, just as I have treasured our life together.” Yonghwa stopped.

 

He stopped.
 

 

Why did he even chose that those lines?

 

Damn.
Wrong choice.

 

There are too many nice and romantic lines in that book and yet he chose something that he and Shin Hye avoided over the years.

 

This isn’t the first time that he read The Notebook’s quotable quotes aloud.
And he knew there were lines he shouldn’t have read.
 

But he just did.
 

Yes.
Those were the lines even Shin Hye didn’t want to read because it just cuts right through her.
And it cuts right through him too.

 

Yes, they were the bestest of friends, but there were sensitive things that they avoid too. And this is one of those.

 

Because this one had a history.

 

They become awkward whenever they chance upon this together because they almost kissed romantically once. Shin Hye was translating to him what these lines meant one time; their eyes met…

 

And…

They almost kissed.
 

And they both knew it wasn’t like those platonic kisses they usually share.

 

So, nice one, Jung Yonghwa.
Nice one.

 

Not all the lines he was able to understand because they were written in English, but that one he understood perfectly as Shin Hye explained to him.

 

Every word.

Every freaking word.

 

And he remembered that moment too.
That freaking romantic moment that could’ve probably changed everything.

 

Damn you, Jung Yonghwa.

 

Why now?

 

There are too many quotes in the book… why choose that?

 

Damn you, Jung Yonghwa.
Damn you.

 

He sighed heavily. He wanted to apologize but it’s too late. Damage has been done. And he can’t make up excuses anyway. They know each other too well.

 

He closed the book and stood up.

 

“I’ll cook your favorite spaghetti.” He turned to her beaming, altogether changing the topic, “You must be hungry.”

 

“Yong…” She finally spoke finally, but tears finally dropped from her lonely eyes again.

 

Yonghwa turned when he saw her stand up.
And he hugged her.
Again.
More tightly this time.

 

“Shhhh.” Yonghwa tried to stop her from crying, “What do you want me to do? Tell me… I’ll do it.”

 

Shin Hye just cried.
She cried on his arms until his shirt was wet of her tears.

 

When they finally broke off their embrace, Yonghwa wiped her tears. He wanted to cry because it won’t stop.

 

“I feel so useless.” He told her while still holding her face, endlessly wiping Shin Hye’s face, “Am I not the only guy who can stop you from crying?”

 

She cried even more.

 

Yonghwa had no choice but to pull her for a hug once again, “Stop, stop, stop….” He said softly.

 

His shirt was literally wet with tears, snot and saliva.
And he couldn’t complain.
And he didn’t mind of course.

 

“Yong…” Shin Hye said in between her tears.

 

That ‘Yong’ meant Shin Hye telling him she knows that he doesn’t know how to cook spaghetti.

 

Awww.
 

One of Yonghwa’s attempts to make her smile: To cook her favorite even if he doesn’t know how to.

 

“Okay, I’ll just cook ramen…” He cutely smiled.

 

“Yong.” She mouthed almost silently.

 

That another ‘Yong’ meant his noodles often end up soggy.

 

Oh crap.
She’s right.

 

All she has to say is ‘Yong’, and he got what she wanted to say.

They’re that close.

 

Yonghwa doesn’t do anything right in the kitchen except eating.

 

“Mmmm…” Yonghwa scratched his head, “I’ll still cook spaghetti.”

 

Yonghwa didn’t wait for her reply and dashed to the kitchen. The CNBlue leader had watched his best friend so many times cook her favorite pasta so he was feeling confident he can cook his own version just as perfect.

 

But when he went to the kitchen he immediately felt lost.
He didn’t even know what to do first.

 

Shin Hye followed him in the kitchen and just watched him. She was still sporting a sad face but at least she was preoccupied watching a busy Chef Jung Yonghwa move around her once dainty kitchen.

 

Now, every thing’s topsy-turvy.
The tomato sauce splattered on the sink.
The grated cheese fell even on the floor.
 

And while waiting, Yonghwa sang and danced in front of her.

 

He did those crazy dance steps and funny songs that never failed to make her laugh. But all of it was useless. She didn’t even smile.

 

Yonghwa used some lines on gag shows that Shin Hye liked but it never made her laugh too. Yonghwa looked stupid doing such antics but that didn’t have an effect on her as well.

 

He impersonated the Simpsons: Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie (he even imitated Baby Maggie who just a pacifier on the entire show). He also imitated Crayon Shin-Chan (that Japanese Manga character, and his pet name on her). He tried to mimic the little boy’s wittiness and Yonghwa repeated some of his famous lines. Yonghwa copied Shin Hye’s Heartstring’s Grandpa too to make her laugh.

 

But Shin Hye still didn’t flinch at all.
 

Nada.
Zero.

She was still feeling that low and broken hearted.

 

And Yonghwa really, wanted to cry (again) that very moment.

 

He became Nicholas Sparks, a stand-up comedian, all the Simpsons characters, Shin Chan, Heartstrings Haraboji and he had become a Chef.

 

And Shin Hye was still staring as if there was an abyss that she can stare to.

 

Yonghwa blew on the spaghetti he took with a fork before letting Shin Hye eat it.

 

He just finished cooking his first ever pasta.

 

Now, Shin Hye finally had a reason to smile.
And she did.

 

At long last.

 

Park Shin Hye smiled.

 

“Is it that good?” Yonghwa asked, beaming.

 

Shin Hye nodded still smiling, then tears fell from her eyes again. She got down from the high stool she was sitting at, then went up to hug her best friend,

 

“I love you, Yonghwa.” She told him in tears, “I love you.”

 

And Jung Yonghwa has never been this proud.
 

 

First, he still is the only guy that could make Shin Hye smile when she is sad, lonely and broken hearted.

 

He still is the one and only.

 

Second, he didn’t know he can be prolific in kitchen too… not just in the studio or in the stage…

 

Oh well.
Until he tasted his specialty, his first ever…

 

His spaghetti .
It was too salty he couldn’t even eat it.
And the noodles are soggy.

 

After he tasted it and Shin Hye saw his expression, Shin Hye laughed the hardest. There were still tears in her eyes but she was laughing now. At least now, she had a reason to smile and laugh.

 

Nice one, Chef Nicholas Sparks-ssi.

 

 

Kim Hye-Sun and Park Jun-Ha’s Wedding
Saturday
3 p.m.

 

“Where are you now?” Jin Yi called Jonghyun.

 

“We are already at the parking lot.” He told her.

 

We.
He’s with someone.

 

So, he did bring a date with him.

 

Too bad.

 

Jong-hoon wasn’t actually there.
And Jong-hoon told her she won’t be lonely since Jonghyun will be there.

 

Awww.

 

Dear Daniel brought another Hello Kitty with him.
So he won’t be Meahri’s Collin for tonight.
And Jonghyun won’t be her Guitar Man.

 

And that new Hello Kitty has a name: Im Yoona of SNSD.

 

Jin Yi could not appear to be jealous of course. She and her Collin are just friends, nothing else.

 

She’s not jealous, she repeatedly told herself.

 

So when Jonghyun and the beautiful and y Yoona entered the wedding hall and her heart pounded (and ached; she wasn’t sure), she told herself she wasn’t jealous at all.

 

When she glanced (although she didn’t mean to) at where they are, and saw the two smiling sweetly at each other, she told herself she wasn’t jealous at all.

 

When she glanced at them (she didn’t mean to, again) and saw Yoona whispering at Jonghyun’s ear, she told herself she wasn’t jealous at all.

 

When she saw Yoona let Jonghyun eat some of her food, she told herself she wasn’t jealous at all.

 

When she saw Yoona wipe Jonghyun’s mouth with a tissue, she told herself she wasn’t jealous at all.

 

When Jonghyun sang later on the ceremony and he smiled and waved at the smiling beautiful and y Yoona, she told herself she wasn’t jealous at all.

 

No.
Just for everyone’s knowledge, Yoon Jin Yi wasn’t jealous at all.
Not one bit.

 

She just wanted to look for a black hole and fall right in there.
Right there and then.

 

No, she wasn’t jealous.
Just for everyone’s information.

 

Jin Yi did exert a little effort looking pretty that day. And she really isn’t the type who will be doing that. She’s a simple a girl who’d follow what her manager and her stylists would like.

 

She told the Unni at the salon that she went to that morning to make her pretty. It was an unusual request coming for her. Her assistant who accompanied her smiled and thought she was excited to look all dolled-up for her boyfriend Jong-hoon but she was surprised she didn’t see him at Hye-sun’s wedding.

 

Jin Yi’s short white beaded gown looked good on her.
 

She looked elegant.

 

And her sparkling purple shoes was the accent to her well-designed gown. The shoes made an exquisite statement.

 

Her perfect hair  was tied in a bun, and her make up was wonderfully done. In fact, she looked like a bride, only she didn’t have a groom by her side.  

 

She wasn’t able to eat that much at the reception because she had lunch with friends before going to the wedding. (Or were you watching some people Meahri, that’s why you weren’t able to eat?)

 

And her feet hurt.

 

Despite her shoes being all the way stylish, they made her feet hurt like hell.
And she regretted driving with those high heeled shoes.

 

Ooops.
Needless to say, it’s dangerous but, it’s one of Jin Yi’s talents to drive with those heels.

 

But not these time, her feet feel like producing its own tears.
As well as her heart.

 

Her what?
Feet and heart.
They wanted to cry.

 

Feet, because of the shoes.
Heart because of…

 

“Meahri…” Jonghyun came out of Men’s restroom and noticed Jin Yi sitting on the far end of the hall, outside the wedding celebration banquet.  She was there without her shoes on, “You okay?”

 

.


She chose this spot too far from everyone to see her.
Now someone saw her, and that someone she doesn’t want to see…

 

Oh well, not really.
Jin Yi doesn’t want to let him see her in that situation.

 

Shoeless…
And Jealous…maybe?

 

Cross that one out.

Jin Yi shook her head. She told herself she wasn’t jealous at all.

 

Jonghyun looked confused on why she shook her head. “You’re not okay?”

 

.

 

“Yes… No…” She couldn’t answer him straight. “I mean, I didn’t wear the most comfortable shoes. They’re pretty but they’re not too comfy to wear.”

 

Finally.
At least she managed to give him a decent answer.

 

Jonghyun was about to tell her something when Jin Yi thanked him for singing at her manager’s wedding. She told him it was too nice of him to do so, despite them not being that close and that the notice was a bit short.

 

Hye-Sun only told him when they got stuck at Namiseom Island.

 

Jin Yi emphasized on ‘when they got stuck at Namiseom Island’.
She somewhat reminded him.

 

Bad Meahri.

 

“Go back inside.” Jin Yi told him, “Don’t keep Yoona-ssi waiting.”

 

Jin Yi said those words with a smile.

 

“Go.” She told him again and smiled sweetly.

 

Jonghyun had no choice but to go back because Jin Yi waved her phone at him. He was unsure if someone was calling her or she was about to call someone.

 

“Jong-hoon.” She answered her phone. “I miss you.”

 

I.Miss.You.

 

She said those words so sweetly.
Jonghyun heard those words when she said it.
Jin Yi made sure Jonghyun heard it when she said them to Jong-hoon.

 

The Kitty-cat fight had moved to Seoul, apparently.

 

“Oh Jonghyun is here.” J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter