I'm Scared to Lose You

That Thin Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Shin Hye’s House
6. 30 p.m.

 

It’s official.

 

Shin Hye had finally told Yonghwa that she will say ‘YES’ to Yoon Shi-yoon. She will agree to be his girlfriend. She told him first before she heads out to meet Shi-yoon and have dinner with him. It was a formal dinner and Shin Hye was actually all glammed up wearing a gown, excited to meet her future boyfriend.

 

The best friend is not excited.
Not one bit.

 

His plan of reverse psychology back-fired.
He wanted to strangle his brothers.

 

As of the moment, he planned on going on solo.

 

“Aaahhh... aaahhhh…” Yonghwa cried out, holding on to his stomach.

 

“What’s wrong?” Shin Hye panicked. “Yonghwa!”

 

“I’m fine…” Yonghwa closed his eyes, as if he was in so much pain. “Can you dial Seohyun’s number please… no, call my Mom instead… Aaahhh…. Aaahhh….”

 

“Yong…” Shin Hye was extremely worried. “What’s wrong? Tell me where it hurts… You’re scaring me. Is that acid reflux again?”

 

For those people who criticize Yonghwa for not being a good actor should think again, because they are wrong.

 

Actor Jung Yonghwa at his best.

 

“Aaahhh... aaahhhh…” Yonghwa continued on his charades. “Go, Shin Hye, leave now. You might be late. Go. Oh, wait… You kept my medicine in that drawer right?

 

He pointed to her bedside table.

 

“Yonghwa, let’s go to the hospital.” Shin Hye was too worried.

 

“I’m fine.” He told her, “Don’t keep Shi-Yoon-ssi waiting.”

 

Yonghwa even sounded like he’s being a nice guy here.
Bad Jung Yonghwa.

 

“Are you sure you’re going to be alright?”

 

“I’ll be fine… Aaahhh... aaahhhh…”  He nodded, “Leave now, please.”

 

Yeah, right.

 

Shin Hye was at the door of her room, still reluctant to leave when Yonghwa called out to her giving her last minute reminders.

 

“Hey, don’t eat clams; you always forget you’re allergic to those.” He reminded her, “And bring something to cover your back, it’s bare… it’s too cold outside, you might get sick.”

 

Awww.
 

The best friend showing his concern and somewhat redeeming himself (albeit unknown to Shin Hye).

 

Yonghwa added, “And why aren’t Shi-Yoon-ssi picking you up? Ah, never mind, be sure you’re home by 10 p.m.”

 

She’s not even like Cinderella who can have her curfew at 12 midnight. Some kind of a strict fairy godmother, that Jung Yonghwa is.

 

Before Shin Hye could reply, Yonghwa had another thing to say.

 

“Send me a message when you get there.”

 

Fairy Godmother just became a mother even before Shin Hye left.

 

Shin Hye nodded and went straight out to leave but before she can finally do so, she returned to the house twice to ask Yonghwa if he can really be alone by himself and he doesn’t need to go the hospital.

 

Yonghwa settled in her bed and pretended to sleep. He counted in his head while was naughtily smiling by himself. First, he was amused that Shin Hye bought his superb acting and second, he was making a bet that before he reaches five hundred, Shin Hye is back in the house.

 

He is that confident.

 

Because…

 

They’re that close.

 

“Three hundred eighty-eight...” Yonghwa was counting loudly now. “Three hundred eighty-nine…”

 

But he was wrong.

 

Shin Hye came back when he was already at seven hundred eighty three. (Yes, he continued to count.)

 

 Of course, Shin Hye was not at ease leaving Yonghwa grimacing in pain like that. When he's sick, he does not complain, he just sleeps. And Shin Hye was bothered seeing that Yonghwa was complaining of his usual acid reflux. There are times that it gets that bad.

 

She regretted that she missed the first U-turn slot.
She cursed when she missed the second one.
She would’ve cried if she had missed the third.

 

She missed the first and second U-turn slots that’s why Yonghwa reached counting up to seven hundred eighty three; if not she really would’ve been back before he reaches five hundred.

 

Yonghwa really knew her too well.

He freaking knew her too well.

They’re that close.

 

Sadly, Yonghwa also knew Shin Hye that well that he knew, that she is decided to really go out with Yoon Shi-Yoon. He saw that excitement in her eyes when she prepared for that date with him. She had already replied to him and said ‘Code 3.’ when he asked. Shin Hye already told Yonghwa, she will say ‘YES’.

 

And Yonghwa also knew he couldn’t do anything.

As much as Shin Hye was prepared for this relationship, he was not.

He cannot tell her he doesn’t like Yoon Shi-yoon because he already did. (But he does like him, actually.) And he can’t go and block all their dates because that would make him a loser. He would destroy Shin Hye and Shi-Yoon’s relationship and he would ruin his friendship with Shin Hye.

 

But he was not yet ready to see Shin Hye shifting her attention to someone else.
He was not was prepared to see Shin Hye take care of another guy apart from him.
And he is not one bit set to give Shin Hye away to someone else either.

 

Selfish, yes, he knows that. But he’d rather be selfish than lose her.

Yonghwa thinks that if Shin Hye had a boyfriend, he’d lose her.

They were too close that no guy would allow Shin Hye to have a guy best friend.
A guy best friend like Yonghwa who considers Shin Hye as his life.

 

But it’s too late.
Shin Hye is in love.

 

He wanted to cry but the only person who can comfort him is Shin Hye, so what’s the point?

He can’t tell Seohyun; that would be weird. Yonghwa thought maybe he’d better be prepared for things like these. In the future, Shin Hye will have to marry her boyfriend. He can’t possibly cry harder than her parents, can he? He knows Shi-yoon is a nice guy; he should start trusting him. If not, he’ll just have to beat the crap out of him or ask Jonghyun’s help to do it instead.

 

Yonghwa needs to let go.

 

They might be best of friends, but they still are just friends. He still needs to understand that. And bear that in mind.

Shin Hye might be his life, but it doesn’t follow that he becomes Shin Hye’s life too.
For all Yonghwa knows, it’s Yoon Shi-Yoon.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                              

Yoon Shi-Yoon and Shin Hye started to date. And Shin Hye has never been happier. He was her second boyfriend. He proved to be a sweeter and a more caring boyfriend than a friend, and she could not ask for more.

 

As they spend more time together, the more they realize that they have more things in common and they discover a lot about each other.

 

Shin Hye was so happy.

 

The only thing that’s amiss is that best friend Jung Yonghwa seemed to be distant with her nowadays. Especially when she started dating Yoon Shi-Yoon.

 

He doesn’t sleep in her house anymore. It’s seldom that he drops by too. He rarely calls nor sends text messages. Their communication is usually initiated by Shin Hye.

 

She knew something is up.
Of course, she knew him too well.

 

Shin Hye knew that he was busy with CNBlue’s Blue Moon World Concert. It was his brothers who actually invited her on the Seoul concert, not him. She watched on the first day and she sat together with his parents.

 

They had dinner afterwards and she and Yonghwa were cool. They acted as if nothing happened. But Shin Hye can feel the tension between them and Yonghwa’s indifference towards her.

 

He was different; and she of course, she knew.

 

Before they left the restaurant they had dinner at, Yonghwa decided he’d drop Shin Hye off first at her house before he’d drive his parents to the hotel. Something he’d never done before. It’s usually his parents first before Shin Hye. Obviously, he doesn’t want to be left alone with Shin Hye.

 

They did not speak nor look at each other. They didn’t need to take time to analyze things before they realize what is going on:

 

Yonghwa does not want to talk to her but doesn’t want to admit it.
Shin Hye knows this but does not want to confront him either.
In the end, they are creating their own diversion on how to best avoid each other.

 

“It’s okay, Yonghwa.” Shin Hye spoke after drinking a glass of water, “Mom and Dad are probably tired, it’s almost eleven thirty p.m., and Shi-Yoon is on his way to pick me up here.”

 

Yonghwa’s expression changed.

 

He was smiling on minute from the joke Jungshin shared then the smile vanished in an instant.

 

“Great.” He replied. But his reaction was actually the opposite of his answer. Then he turned to talk to the others in the table and refused to look at her anymore.

 

Yonghwa was actually acting weird and talked all about Seohyun the entire evening which was so unlike him. And that made Shin Hye confirm that he wasn’t really comfortable about her and Shi-Yoon dating.

 

And she’s not comfortable either.

 

“I miss you, Yong.”  Shin Hye told him.

 

Yonghwa heard her clearly but he pretended he didn’t. He passed by her when he was on his way to the restroom but he ignored her.

 

And made Shin Hye made up her mind that she’s not going to let this drag. When Shi-Yoon arrived, she asked him to drop her off at CNBlue’s dorm and not at her house. She wouldn’t let the night pass without clearing things with Jung Yonghwa. If he’s mad, then he had to take it out on her, but she had to hear what on his mind and she has to know why.

 

And Yonghwa has to tell her.

 

 

CNBlue Dorm
12.30 a.m.

 

Yonghwa found Shin Hye sitting on the edge of his bed.

 

She was in deep thoughts.

 

When her eyes met his, he knew they are in for some serious talk and that he can’t hide his feelings anymore.

 

He sat next to her, and spoke no words. For about an hour, they stayed like that. Staring blankly in front of them, being quiet and feeling each other.

 

Yonghwa’s eyes were fixed on his computer. Shin Hye stared on his messy pile of clothes.

 

“I’m happy, Yong.” Shin Hye began. Her voice soft, and it sounded as if she had smiled. Yonghwa need not look at her to see that smile.

 

“I know…” He replied.

 

“Can I ask a big favor?” She asked, “Can you be happy for me too?

 

It’s a request that Yonghwa couldn’t possibly say NO to.
She was literally asking him to give them his blessings when in the first place, she doesn’t need to ask.

 

“Can I ask a favor too?” He answered her question with another question.

 

“What?”

 

“Can you not ask me that favor?” Yonghwa told her.

 

Damn.
Just damn.

 

“Yong…”

 

“I know you’re happy.” Yonghwa admitted, “I would be one of the first people who would know. But I’m not ready yet seeing you with someone…Arrrghhh... this is hard…”

 

Yonghwa covered his face with his hands.

 

He’s organizing his thoughts, composing his words.

 

“I have been in a relationship before.” Shin Hye reminded him.

 

“But we’re not that close before.” It was Yonghwa’s turn to remind her.

 

“What are you scared of?” Shin Hye asked, “What stops you from being ready in seeing me with someone?”

 

“Because everything might change.” He confessed.

 

“Nothing will change, Yonghwa.” Shin Hye assured him, “Nothing.”

 

“Of course not.” Yonghwa disagreed, “Everything will change…”

 

Then Yonghwa finally looked at her…

 

“I don’t think Yoon Shi-Yoon will be fine seeing us hug, or hold hands or kiss or say I love you to each other… I don’t think he’ll ever allow us to ever go on vacation, just the two of us... I will no longer be the only guy you’ll always depend on.  And I will no longer be the only guy who can stop you from crying…”

 

Awww.
 

One jealous best friend, Yonghwa.

 

Before Shin Hye can reply, Yonghwa spoke again before turning away from her.

 

“I’m scared to lose you... and I miss you too.”

 

Shin Hye didn’t know how to answer him. She can assure him over and over that things won’t change but what if Yoon Shi-Yoon won’t be as comfortable to her relationship with Yonghwa as Yonghwa himself thinks?

 

This early, Shin Hye is already confused and torn. It’s as if she is bound to choose.

 

“Who are you, Jung Yonghwa?” She asked him with tears in her eyes now, “Aren’t you my best friend?”

 

He nodded.

 

“Then aren’t you supposed to make my life easier and not the other way around?”

 

“I know.” He admitted, “I’m sorry.”

 

Finally.
A ‘sorry’ from Jung Yonghwa.

 

“There must be a way to resolve all this Yonghwa.” Shin Hye told him, “We can’t be like this forever. I don’t want to grow old alone. Because from the way things are going, I will be… You never liked anyone for me.”

 

“That’s…” He wanted to protest but remembered she was right. He never liked anyone for her.

 

“Allow me to date properly, please.” Shin Hye told him, “No pretending you’re sick and you won’t treat me as if you don’t see me…”

 

.
Shin Hye knew he wasn’t sick.

 

Of course.

 

They’re that close.

 

 “We’re too close and it has worked to our disadvantage already.” Shin Hye sighed, “And besides, you’re too unfair… I, never, for once acted like that with the girls that you’ve liked. I’ve liked them too or forced myself to like some.”

 

Yonghwa smiled.
Finally.

 

“Yong…” Shin Hye stood up and hugged him, “I like Shi-Yoon, I like him a lot…. Please don’t be like this…”

 

Moment of truth.
 

“Fine.” Yonghwa resigned and stood up too to hug Shin Hye too.

 

He swallowed everything.

 

Bitterness.
Fear of losing her.

 

Or maybe even his pride.

 

“Really?” Shin Hye just had confirm it, “Really, Yonghwa? You’ll approve of us?”

 

He broke off from their hug and nodded.

 

She almost jumped for joy. Her eyes sparkled out of excitement and happiness.

 

“I love you, Jung Yonghwa!”

 

Then Shin Hye kissed him.
On the lips.

 

Ahhh.
That again.

 

She grabbed her bag and hurriedly prepared to leave.

 

“Hey, sleep here, it’s late.” Yonghwa called to her who was already at the door, smiling like an idiot.

 

“I’m sleeping in the living room.” Shin Hye stuck out her tongue. “I know you too well, you jerk. If I sleep here you’d take my picture and send it to Shi-Yoon and we’re over…”

 

Yonghwa laughed.
He did think about that.

 

Damn.
The disadvantages of being too close: not being able to carry out your evil plans because you’ll get caught while you’re still in the process of thinking about it.

 

“No, I won’t.” He was still smiling, “Promise. And don’t you think I have loads of them stored in my phone?”

 

Right.
Shin Hye could just roll her eyes.

 

Yonghwa can blackmail her anytime of the day.
 

He could even take picture of her clothes in his closet that very moment and send to Shi-Yoon and for sure they would fight.
How about that pink toothbrush in CNBlue’s dorm’s bathroom?
And the female beauty products?

 

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

 

But at least they settled everything that night. Yonghwa finally gave her his go signal. He won’t get in their way anymore nor will he ignore her.

 

Everything will be status quo except now, Shin Hye has a boyfriend.

 

In fact, Yonghwa invited Shi-Yoon for dinner the next weekend. It’s going to be a double date.

 

Yonghwa with Seohyun and Shi-Yoon with Shin Hye.

 

 

Hopscotch
Nonhyeon-dong, Gangnam-Gu
7.30 p.m.

 

Shin Hye ordered chicken.
Yonghwa ordered pork.

 

Like always.

 

Then Shin Hye requested the waiter to cut both chicken and pork into two portions.

 

When their food arrived, Shin Hye put one portion of chicken into Yonghwa’s plate and took half of his pork and put it in hers. She had placed some salad into his plate as well after selecting vegetables that Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter